Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Tempests of the Heart ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tempests of the Heart (1/?)
Author: blue_crystal_9
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Kira/Hinamori, eventual Hitsugaya/Hinamori
Spoilers: Anything up to episode 62 at this point.
Warnings: Innuendo, swearing.
Summary: It is years after the betrayal of Soul Society. Hinamori's finally beginning to move on with her life, and with that comes much change. Can Hitsugaya handle these changes?
Disclaimer: I do not own Beach; Tite Kubo does. I am not making any profit from this; it is for entertainment purposes only.
Author's Notes: At first I didn't know what I was doing with this fic, all I knew was that I wanted to write it. But I've got some things planned out now so I feel much more secure about it than I originally did. The idea for this fic transpired from the fact that the idea of Kira having a thing for Hinamori really intrigues me. That, and if something began happening between them, Hitsugaya would totally be all, “RAWR!” about it. Maybe mostly internally, but still. ;) And I love my Hitsu angst. I am such an angst whore. :3 I also wanted to trying writing Hinamori with another character, to challenge myself I suppose. And I've never written Kira before, so this is going to be interesting. ;)
 
As well, I am a bit of KiraHina shipper on the side, (since HitsuHina is my main pairing for Bleach) and I think if Hitsugaya was somehow not in the manga anymore, I'd be totally shipping Kira/Hinamori. ^_~
 
This is also posted on my accounts on LiveJournal and FanFiction.net.
 
 
Tempests of the Heart
Chapter One
 
_____________________________
 
Light, so low in the vale
You flash and lighten afar,
For this is the golden morning of love,
And you are his morning star.
[…]
Heart, are you great enough
For a love that never tires?
O' heart, are you great enough for love?
- MarriageMornings” by Lord Alfred Tennyson
_____________________________
 
 
The door to the tenth division's main office opened with a loud bang. A flushed Hinamori stood there, panting slightly.
 
“Hinamori?” Hitsugaya raised a quizzical eyebrow at her.
 
“Sorry, I need to borrow Matsumoto for a few minutes.” Hinamori gestured to the bosomy lieutenant from across the room.
 
“And this couldn't wait until after work?”
 
“Not really, no.”
 
Hitsugaya sighed, “You do realize that if you did that to any other captain they'd-”
 
“Oh, I wouldn't do it to any other captain. But you're just Hitsugaya-kun, so it's okay.” Hinamori said offhandedly.
 
Hitsugaya glowered, muttering darkly under his breath, “Che. Just Hitsugaya-kun…”
 
Matsumoto decided to intervene at this point, and jumped up from her desk. “Taicho, I'll just take my fifteen now.”
 
“You took your fifteen already, Matsumoto. An hour ago. And you haven't done nearly enough work to warrant another break.” He was not amused.
 
Hinamori sighed before putting on an expression and tone of mock politeness, “If you please, Hitsugaya-taicho, may I request your permission to borrow your vice captain for a few minutes?”
 
Matsumoto laughed. “The taicho bit was a nice touch.”
 
“Fine. Like you two will listen to me anyway.” Grumbled Hitsugaya, scribbling on his paperwork almost viciously.
 
“Thanks, Hitsugaya-kun!” Hinamori said cheerfully as Matsumoto hurried over to her.
 
Just as they were leaving, Hitsugaya spoke again. “Why can't you just say whatever you had to say here?”
 
Hinamori waved her hand dismissively, “It's just girl stuff. It's nothing you'd want to hear; it would probably just annoy you anyway.”
 
“Ah, I should have known.” He turned back to his paperwork.
 
“Come on.” Matsumoto said, taking Hinamori by her elbow and shepherding Hinamori toward the door. “Let's go have some tea in my room.”
 
As Matsumoto and Hinamori left the room, Hitsugaya called out to them. “It's Hitsugaya-taicho, Hinamori. And Matsumoto, you'd better not be any longer than fifteen minutes.”
 
“Whatever!” They answered together and Hitsugaya growled irritably under his breath.
 
 
_____________________________
 
 
 
“He what?! Matsumoto's teacup froze halfway to her mouth.
 
“Kira asked me out.” Hinamori said, picking anxiously at a stray thread on her shinigami robes.
 
“I didn't even realize you liked him like that!”
 
“I don't really know how I feel about him, actually.” Hinamori confessed. “I told him I'd think about it, and that I'd give him my answer at dinner tonight. I didn't know what to say; I was rather surprised.”
 
“Well, it's not that surprising. Kira's had a crush on you for forever.” Matsumoto said, finally taking a sip of her tea.
 
Hinamori blushed. “I know. He was always fairly… obvious about it. But I didn't really pay that much attention to it before.”
 
“Nice, Hinamori.”
 
“No, I don't mean it like that!” Hinamori sputtered. “I've always liked Kira; we've been friends since our academy days. It's just that before… when he first started showing interest, I was so concentrated on being the best vice captain I could be and I didn't really focus on much else.” She sighed. “Not to mention I was completely infatuated with Aizen. And then after the betrayal of Soul Society, I was so hurt and confused and just messed up that I didn't even notice much outside of my cloud of despair.” A shadow passed over her face, but she pushed the dark memories away. “But then, everything started to get easier to bear. Especially lately… I don't have those dark days much anymore.”
 
Matsumoto nodded in agreement. After all the chaos, as Hinamori began to get over Aizen's betrayal, she had many days where she would become completely depressed. There was not much anyone could do to get her out of it until she was ready. These days were less and less frequent now, but once and a while she'd have a day when the painful memories would assault her, and she would not be in the best frame of mind. As soon as work was over, she would lock herself in her room and not come out for the remainder of the night, even for supper. But the next morning she would be back to normal. No one was entirely surprised when these episodes would happen because even though Hinamori had for the most part healed, they knew she would never be the same naïve, innocent girl she once was.
 
Hinamori continued speaking, “And now I've just started to notice Kira more, and his …er, affection for me.”
 
“So what are you going to tell him?” Matsumoto probed.
 
“I'm not sure. I mean, it's not like I hate him or anything, we were good friends during our academy days. But… it's Kira. It might be a little weird. And I'm not really sure if I feel that way about him.” Hinamori sat back against her chair, contemplating.
 
“You don't have to feel that way about him. You're just going on a date, it's not like you're getting married or anything. Just take a chance and see how it goes. Who knows, nothing may occur, but there is a chance that something might. Where's the harm in trying?”
 
Hinamori smiled cheerfully. “I suppose you're right. Maybe I will accept his offer. Besides, I haven't really dated much before, so it might be fun.”
 
“I'll be good for you too, to get into the dating thing and just loosen up and have a good time.” Matsumoto said. “Especially since you've slowly gotten back into socializing.”
 
“Exactly. It'll be a nice change.” Hinamori sipped her tea. “Kira's a good guy too, and it'll be easier since I know him. It's not like we're starting off as total strangers.” Matsumoto nodded. “Also-”
 
She was interrupted by Matsumoto's sudden look of panic. “What is it?”
 
“Hitsugaya-taicho's coming.” Matsumoto muttered, sensing her captain's reiatsu moving nearer. “Pick a new topic, quick.”
 
“Why?”
 
Matsumoto resisted the urge to smash her head against the table. Honestly, when would the girl realize it?
 
Never, apparently.
 
“Because,” Matsumoto whispered, looking nervously at the door. “He's very protective over you, and he probably won't be overly happy about you going out with anyone, especially Kira.”
 
God, it is so obvious. Do I have to spell it out for you or something? Matsumoto grumbled internally.
 
“Why? It's just Kira, it's not like he's a hollow or something.”
 
Apparently, I do have to spell it out for you.
 
Matsumoto spoke carefully, “Well, he's not very fond of Kira, especially after the incident with him and Gi- I mean, Ichimaru and the two of you.”
 
Hinamori winced. “Oh. I suppose you're right. Maybe I won't say anything… at least not yet.”
 
Matsumoto nodded, “Yeah. Good idea.”
 
The moment she stopped speaking there was a knock on her door. It opened and Hitsugaya poked his head in, one eyebrow twitching dangerously, “Matsumoto, your fifteen minutes was up ten minutes ago.”
 
“Sorry taicho, I lost track of the time.” Matsumoto was cheerfully apologetic.
 
“That tends to happen to you a lot.” He muttered dryly. The three of them headed back to the tenth's office. Matsumoto shot Hinamori a look, which Hitsugaya caught the end of. He raised an eyebrow at the sudden innocent expressions on their faces, “Whatever you're gossiping about, I don't want to know.”
 
“Oh, we're not gossiping taicho!” Matsumoto laughed as though the idea was preposterous.
 
He simply snorted. “Right. Well, I apologize Hinamori but I'm going to have to kick you out as you are distracting my vice captain from her paperwork.”
 
She laughed and Matsumoto glowered at her, “Don't you have paperwork to do?”
 
“Nope, I finished mine this morning.” Hinamori said cheerfully.
 
“And I'm sure you don't let it accumulate on your desk like she does.” Hitsugaya said, jerking his thumb towards Matsumoto's desk where a huge pile of paperwork sat.
 
Hinamori gaped at it in astonishment. “Holy crap, Matsumoto!”
 
Matsumoto rolled her eyes, unperturbed.
 
“That's not the half of it, unfortunately.” Hitsugaya grumbled. “Look under the table.” He ignored the glare his vice captain sent his way.
 
Hinamori ducked her head to see under the table that sat in front of the couch they were standing by. Another two piles of paper were hidden there. Hinamori blinked in surprise. “I thought Hitsugaya-kun was exaggerating when he said you did that.”
 
“I never exaggerate Hinamori, especially about Matsumoto.” Hitsugaya sighed tiredly.
 
Hinamori started to giggle, “But it's so…”
 
“Childish?” Hitsugaya finished for her. “Yeah.”
 
“Not to mention an extremely obvious hiding place.” She snickered.
 
“Weren't you kicked out of here?” Matsumoto said sweetly. “Well, off you go. Shoo.”
 
Hinamori left, laughing all the way down the hall.
 
Once she had gone, Matsumoto spun around and glared at Hitsugaya again. “Thanks for that, taicho.” The sarcasm was evident in her voice.
 
“My pleasure.” Hitsugaya said dryly, not even looking up.
 
She sighed and flopped into her desk chair before yanking a piece of paperwork from the pile irritably.
 
“If you rip it you have to do it again.”
 
Matsumoto growled.
 
_____________________________
 
 
As Hinamori walked back to her division, she thought about what she and Matsumoto had been talking about. She hadn't dated much at all really, except a few times in her academy days. But she had always found it easy talking with Kira. They were already friends so they didn't have to go through the process of getting to know each other, which would be easier. And he had been adorably nervous when he'd asked her.
 
A shy blush spread across her cheeks. It was nice to be asked out to dinner; to be sought after. It made her feel a little more like a girl knowing someone liked her. And perhaps their relationship would blossom into more. For once, Hinamori would welcome that change. She hadn't been ready before, for someone like that in her life. But now she had grown, had changed, had matured. Now she was ready.
 
Her decision was made. She would tell him yes.
 
 
_____________________________
 
 
Kira strolled into the bathhouse after dinner with almost a spring in his step.
 
Hisagi had just finished getting a bath and was tying up his obi. He looked up when he heard Kira come in and blinked in surprise when he saw the look on Kira's face. “What's with you?”
 
Renji came in from the bath as Hisagi spoke and began pulling on his clothes. “Yeah, I noticed after supper that you were in a strangely good mood.”
 
Kira grinned. “I asked Hinamori out.”
 
“And she said yes?” Renji raised an eyebrow questioningly.
 
“Yep.” His grin widened.
 
“Well, congratulations.” Hisagi smirked. “You finally manned up and asked her out.”
 
“Someone should do the same for Matsumoto.” Renji muttered and yelped when Hisagi elbowed him painfully in the ribs.
 
“Shut up. It's complicated.” Hisagi mumbled.
 
Renji laughed to himself. “Sure it is.”
 
Kira tuned them out, thinking to himself about Friday, which was the day they had planned to go out. He was more than just happy about it; he was ecstatic. He'd had feelings for Hinamori since their academy days but hadn't been able to get up the nerve to ask her out until now. He was glad he had waited too; she seemed more confident and happier lately. He was not sure if she would have even said yes before. At first he'd had his doubts when she'd told him that she would think about it, but she'd came to him at dinner and had told him she would love to go out with him. She'd said it with such a sweet smile on his face that it had reassured him.
 
He tuned back into the conversation when he realized Hisagi was speaking to him. “So Kira, what do you think? Victory drinks?”
 
Kira thought for a moment. It was a work night, and he didn't exactly have the greatest tolerance level; one too many drinking parties with Matsumoto had shown him that. Having a hangover and having to wake up early would suck. Only Matsumoto had mastered this skill to perfection. But celebrating would be nice…
 
Oh, what the hell.
 
“Sure.” Kira agreed.
 
“Hell yes!” Cheered Renji and the three men headed, laughing and joking to the nearest bar.
 
_____________________________
 
“So, I was thinking,” Hitsugaya began as he sat down at the table across from Hinamori at breakfast the next day, “That since this week has been less hectic we could go and get something to eat at that new place that just opened up. According to Matsumoto the food's pretty good. And we haven't had a meal out together for a while.”
 
Hinamori nodded, “Yeah, that would be nice. When?”
 
“What about Friday night?”
 
Hinamori's chopsticks stopped halfway to her mouth. She was already busy on Friday. And she hadn't told Hitsugaya yet. She cringed. Well, she might as well get it over with. Laying her chopsticks down on her plate, she said carefully, “Actually, I've already got plans on Friday.”
 
Hitsugaya raised an eyebrow. “Oh, really?”
 
“Yeah. I'm kind of going on a date.”
 
Hitsugaya froze for a second, swallowing heavily to force the food that had somehow become stuck in his throat. “A date? With who?” He tried not to make his voice sound too demanding, but didn't entirely succeed.
 
“With Kira.”
 
Kira? Hitsugaya blinked. “I thought you and Kira were just friends.”
 
“We are… and it's only one date.” Hinamori shrugged. “We'll see how it goes from there.”
 
“Right.” Hitsugaya watched as Hinamori took the last bite of her food, before standing up and picking up her plate.
 
“I've got to go; I need to get into work early to do a few things. I'll see you later, Hitsugaya-kun.”
 
“Yes.” He replied vaguely, thoughts elsewhere.
 
It's only one date, Hitsugaya silently reassured himself. It probably won't even go anywhere.
 
Right?
 
_____________________________
 
End of chapter one.
 
Teehee.
 
Dear God, I'm evil. Hitsugaya's being tortured in the manga enough as it is, and now I'm torturing him in fanfiction too? XD
 
There will be more Hitsu angst to come…. *ominous music plays*
 
Until next chapter, guys. Hope you like it so far. :) This was kind of a slow chapter, but things will start to heat up in the next few.
 
And OMG, I'm kind of proud of myself for writing something that's longer than a one-shot. Yay for chaptered fics! *sparkles*
 
*cough* …Anyway. ;D