Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Tempests of the Heart ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tempests of the Heart (2/?)
Author: blue_crystal_9
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Eventual Hitsugaya/Hinamori, Kira/Hinamori
Spoilers: Anything up to episode 62 at this point.
Warnings: Innuendo, swearing.
Summary: It is years after the betrayal of Soul Society. Hinamori's finally beginning to move on with her life, and with that comes much change. Can Hitsugaya handle these changes?
Disclaimer: I do not own Beach; Tite Kubo does. I am not making any profit from this; it is for entertainment purposes only.
Author's Notes: For once I have nothing to say. Huh. How unusual for me. :P
 
 
Tempests of the Heart
Chapter Two
 
_____________________________
 
I can't fight this feeling any longer
And yet I
'm still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship
has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show
 
Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore” by REO Speedwagon
 
_____________________________
 
Friday morning finally rolled around.
 
Hinamori woke up feeling both excited and nervous, which wasn't entirely unusual to feel before a first date. The memory of Aizen still stuck with her however, which was part of the reason why she was feeling apprehensive. She had learned to approach things more cautiously because of him and no longer trusted people as easily as she once did. For what did trusting Aizen get her? A sword through her chest and years of emotional pain and heartache, that's what. Not that Kira was going to turn on her like Aizen had, but she was still a little wary of people now, even her friends.
 
But she decided not to think of Aizen today and instead focused on the good. She was going to be like any other young girl for once, and go on dates and just have fun and for a few hours not have worry about responsibilities.
 
The day dragged on and finally work was over. She had an hour and a half to get back to her room and get cleaned up and dressed. It was now just after five thirty and Kira said he would meet her at seven. She hurried home after her captain gave her leave to go and took a nice bubble bath to make herself relax and to wash the dust of the day off.
 
Part of her wondered why she was making such an effort to make herself look nice; Kira has seen her bruised and bloody from battle, and at her lowest moments after Aizen. But the other half argued that it was the principle of the thing, and you always dressed up when going on a date. It was one of the most enjoyable parts. She ignored the cynical side of her mind and continued getting ready.
 
That was until she realized that she had no idea what she was going to wear. She didn't want to appear too casual, or too dressy. She looked at the robes thrown on her futon in irritation, a pout of annoyance gracing her pretty face. She didn't really have any expertise in this area; the few dates she had gone on during her recruit days had been “Let's get tea after practise at the tea shop around the corner while still in our training uniforms” sort of thing. With a sigh, she scooped up her pile of robes and headed to the tenth division to ask Matsumoto's opinion.
 
A few minutes later she knocked on Matsumoto's room door, hoping that she'd caught Matsumoto before she'd gone off to party as she always did on Friday nights. To her relief the door swung open.
 
“What's up?” Matsumoto asked, looking at the pile of robes in Hinamori's arms with a bemused expression. “Need some help?”
 
“Yes please.” Hinamori moaned pityingly and dragged herself into Matsumoto's room.
 
Forty-five minutes later and after much changing, they decided on a dark blue robe with tiny silver stars dotting along the bottom.
 
“Yes, I think that'll do.” Matsumoto nodded as she appraised Hinamori.
 
“Great! Thanks for your help!” Hinamori said, beginning to collect her things but Matsumoto's voice stopped her.
 
“Wait, what about your hair and makeup?”

“I'm just going to leave my hair down. I wasn't going to put on makeup as I'm not really good at using it.”

"I can do it for you." Matsumoto flashed her a smile. "I'm excellent at applying makeup, as you know."

“Well..." Hinamori hesitated before finally agreeing, "Alright." At least she'd look a bit dressier with makeup on.

The strawberry blond vice captain beamed. "Yay!"  Hinamori laughed, allowing Matsumoto to propel her into the bathroom.

Matsumoto decided that a light dusting of makeup was appropriate. Not so much that it was obvious, but enough that it created emphasis on her eyes.
 
“There!” Matsumoto crowed triumphantly once she was finished.
 
“Wow, it looks great.” Hinamori examined herself in the mirror. “A much better job than I would have done.”
 
“Am I awesome or what?” She grinned smugly.
 
“You're very awesome, Matsumoto.” Hinamori laughed, grabbing her things. “I have to go now, it's almost seven. Thanks for the help.”
 
“So are you nervous?”
 
“A little.” She answered as Matsumoto walked her to the entrance doors of the tenth division.
 
“Don't worry about it, you'll be just fine. And you look hot.”
 
“Thanks.” Hinamori laughed again. Just as they reached the entrance the doors opened and Hitsugaya stepped in.
 
Matsumoto winced. She'd been hoping they would finish before he'd gotten back from supper, and they'd almost made it. Almost.
 
He took one look at Hinamori and made no outward sign except that his eyes widened slightly. “Hinamori. You look…nice.” Better than nice. His voice was perfectly calm.
 
“Thanks, Hitsugaya-kun.” Hinamori smiled at him before looking at the clock on the wall, “Crap, I'm going to be late. I have to run. Bye Hitsugaya-kun, Matsumoto.” And with a flash of dark blue she was gone.
 
“Bye, Hinamori.” Matsumoto called as her captain began to walk back to his office. As soon as the door closed behind Hinamori, she called after him, “Captain…” She didn't know what exactly she was going to say to him, but she had to say something.
 
“I have paperwork to do, Matsumoto.” He didn't even break his stride. Again he showed no outward sign of discontent except for the fact that his back was stiff. He closed the door to the office shut behind him.
 
Matsumoto looked at the closed door and sighed.
 
_____________________________
 
Kira met Hinamori outside the fifth division barracks at seven o'clock and they went to a trendy little restaurant Hinamori had been to once before. Hinamori was pleased to find that she was really enjoying herself. They ate and just talked about nothing and everything. She hadn't realized before, but she hadn't really known Kira. Yes, they had been friends during their training, but she hadn't gotten to know him as well as she thought she had. In fact, she had been closer to Renji than Kira in those days. Now she was starting to learn how great of a person he was when he wasn't in his `serious Kira' mode. When he was happy, he just seemed to become almost …vibrant, somehow.
 
As Kira walked Hinamori back to the fifth division, he turned to her and spoke, “So, do you want to do this again sometime soon?”
 
Hinamori smiled. “Sure, I'd love to.” They stopped in front of the fifth's entrance.
 
“How's Sunday for you, at the same time?”
 
“Sunday's good.”
 
“Okay, great.” They stood a few inches apart now. The moonlight shone down on Hinamori, illuminating her pretty face. “You know, you really look lovely tonight, Hinamori.”
 
She blushed. “Thank you. You look quite nice as well.”
 
He smiled at her and stepped a little closer, looking a slightly nervous. He took a deep breath before saying haltingly, “Hinamori… Er, can I…?”
 
Hinamori, instantly realizing what he was asking, blushed even more. “Um… sure.”
 
Kira closed the space between them, tentatively cupping her face in his hands before pressing his lips softly against hers. He pulled away, but was suddenly pulled forward again by Hinamori who kissed him again. This kiss was not so hesitant, and as it deepened Kira wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer. After a minute they broke apart, both looking a little dazed. Hinamori was blushing furiously but she had a shy little smile on her face. “Goodnight, Kira.” She opened the entrance door and stepped in.
 
“Goodnight, Hinamori. I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
Hinamori gave him a little wave of farewell and closed the door behind her.
 
Kira walked back to the third division with a goofy smile plastered on his face.
 
_____________________________
 
On Monday morning as Hitsugaya was eating breakfast, a few of the lower seated shinigami girls sat at the table behind him, gossiping. One name in particular caught his attention.
 
“So, what's this news about Hinamori-fuku taicho going out with Kira-fuku taicho?” One girl asked.
 
“Apparently they just started dating. They went out twice.” A second girl answered.
 
Hitsugaya froze for a second. Twice? He hadn't been talking to Hinamori since Friday as the tenth division had suddenly become boggled down with paperwork once again. One of the tenth's lower seated members had gotten in a fight with someone from the eighth and they'd caused a lot of damage. Naturally, this meant doing damage reports and other such paperwork, even more than he thought there would be. Because of this he hadn't heard how her date with Kira had gone. In that short space of time, apparently Kira and Hinamori had decided to continue dating.
 
“Aw, that's so cute. They'd be great together.” A third girl gushed.
 
Not realizing Hitsugaya was in their vicinity, the third shinigami girl whispered loudly enough for Hitsugaya to hear, “But how do you think Hitsugaya-taicho is taking it? He seems pretty protective of her. Ooh, maybe they'll get in a fight!”
 
“Sweet! That would finally bring us some excitement around here!” The first girl laughed.
 
Hitsugaya stood up abruptly, chair scraping against the floor. This caught the attention of the three girls and when Hitsugaya turned his head to glare at them, instant `oh shit' expressions comically formed on their faces.
 
Wide eyed, one girl managed to say with false brightness, “Well, isn't the weather nice today?”
 
It was an extremely weak attempt to cover up the fact that they were talking about him, but the other two girls nearly fell all over themselves to agree with her.
 
Hitsugaya simply glowered at them for another moment before stalking off.
 
“You don't think he's going to freeze us in our sleep, do you?” The first girl said fearfully to the others as they watched him walk off.
 
_____________________________
 
As Hitsugaya headed out of the dining hall he spotted Hinamori coming in. He walked over to her, an inexplicable expression on his face.
 
“Hey, Hitsugaya-kun.” She said brightly as soon as she saw him. “What- ahhh!” Hitsugaya had grabbed her by the elbow and half dragged her to a more private corner of the hallway. As soon as Hinamori managed to recover her footing, she glared at him. “What's with you?!”
 
“Why didn't you tell me you and Kira had formed a relationship?” The tone of his voice came out more annoyed then he intended.
 
Hinamori put one hand on her hip, “Because I haven't seen you all weekend. How did you find out, anyway?”
 
“I heard it on the grapevine. People talk.”
 
“Okay, but I don't understand. What's the big deal? We only went out on two dates, that's not exactly a `relationship'”.
 
“But you are forming one, correct? You are planning to continue dating him?”
 
“Well, yeah, I suppose so.”
 
“And how hard is it to come and tell me that?”
 
“I'm sorry, you were busy and I didn't want to bother you. Besides, I didn't think you would care.” Hinamori said defensively.
 
“Of course I care.” His voice was harsh, too harsh and he attempted to rein in his anger.
 
“Why are you so mad?” Hinamori demanded.
 
“I-” He began, but then stopped. It wasn't her fault that he was in love with her, that he couldn't bear to see her with anyone else. She didn't even know how he felt about her and he was the one getting angry at her. He should be mad at himself.
 
It was not her fault, it was all his. He was to blame.
 
His face instantly changed to an unreadable expression, the wall of ice forming once again. “Never mind.” He muttered, spinning around and stalking off.
 
He heard her call out to him but did not look back.
 
____________________________
 
“I don't understand why he was so mad!” Hinamori said exasperatedly a few hours later, running a hand through her bangs. “He didn't eve give me a reason. He just stomped off.”
 
Matsumoto sighed tiredly. If she had a sake bottle for every time Hinamori was completely oblivious to Hitsugaya's feelings, she'd be dead of alcohol poisoning long ago. “Well, Hitsugaya-taicho is not always easily understood.”
 
“You can say that again!” Hinamori huffed.
 
This time he is, idiot girl! Actually look with both your eyes open for once!
 
But she didn't actually say this. As much as Matsumoto wanted her captain's feelings for Hinamori to be realized, Hinamori had to figure it out on her own. Preferably within the next century. At least then her captain would stop his God awful brooding. A happy Hitsugaya meant less paperwork, and Matsumoto would gladly reap the benefits of that. But it didn't seem like there would be a breakthrough any time soon, unfortunately.
 
“He's been especially confusing lately and so mysterious. I used to know him so well, and now I feel like I don't know him at all.” Her voice was sad.
 
“Don't worry, Hinamori. Talk to him when he's in a better mood; I'm sure it was nothing serious. You know how he gets sometimes.”
 
“Yeah.” Hinamori sighed and took a sip of her tea.
 
And maybe, Matsumoto thought, Kira deserves her more. If Hitsugaya-taicho isn't man enough to admit his feelings, than perhaps it's better she's with Kira. At least he made it clear he wanted her.
 
_____________________________
 
 
There was a knock on the door of Hitsugaya's office.
 
“Come in.” Hitsugaya said gruffly, a trace of roughness still in his voice from the argument with Hinamori hours ago.
 
Kira walked in, handing him a pile of papers. “I have the paperwork you requested from the third division, Hitsugaya-taicho.”
 
“Oh. Thank you.” He placed the pile of papers on his desk and as Kira began to leave he stopped him. “Kira, wait a minute. There is something I need to discuss with you.”
 
He saw Kira wince, most likely expecting something like this from the white haired captain. He turned around, looking slightly wary. “Yes, sir?”
 
Hitsugaya didn't bother with small talk, preferring to get to the point right away. “You know I don't really like you, Kira.”
 
Kira winced again. “I've been slightly aware of the fact, yes sir.”
 
“Good. So I make this very clear.” He stared intently into Kira's eyes, the green of his eyes absolute ice, “If you hurt her, I will personally see that you will regret it. And it will be painful.”
 
Kira swallowed, knowing that Hitsugaya was speaking truthfully. He had seen the way the ice captain had reacted to Ichimaru that night many years ago. “I have no intention of hurting her, sir.”
 
“Well, that may be true but you know I have my reasons for suspecting otherwise.”
 
Kira sighed, looking a little defeated. “I did not mean for her to get hurt that day, sir. I was only following my captain's orders. I didn't know what they were going to do, that they were going to-” He stopped abruptly, a look of bitterness coming into his eyes. “You have no idea how guilty I feel about her getting hurt.”
 
“Regardless, if you hurt her I will make sure you never forget it. It that clear?” His gaze was unwavering, cold.
 
“Perfectly clear, sir.” Kira sighed. “May I go now?”
 
“Yes, you may.”
 
Kira left, closing the door behind him silently. Hitsugaya turned back to his paperwork, but not without a tiny, almost unnotable gleam of satisfaction in his eyes.
 
_____________________________
 
End of chapter two.
 
Because you know Hitsugaya would totally kick Kira's ass if he hurt her. XD
 
Why is it that whenever anyone in my Bleach fics has a conversation, it's either in the dining hall or over paperwork? I need to be more creative and give them a new setting. ;_;
 
Not too happy with this chapter, I think I need to work on Kira's character a little more. ;_: I may go back and redo this chapter later on, but for now I'm going to leave it as it is. The next chapter will be better, hopefully.
 
Oh, and also. An explanation of the title, Tempests of the Heart, in case anyone was wondering. A “Tempest” is a `a violent commotion, disturbance, or tumult' according to dictionary.com. It'll make more sense in later chapters. It's kind of corny I know, but I couldn't come up with anything better and it does actually fit later on. ;)
 
Thanks to everyone who reviewed last time. I hope you enjoyed this one, and I'll see you all again next chapter. :)