Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Tempests of the Heart ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tempests of the Heart (4/?)
Author: blue_crystal_9
Rating: PG-13/T
Pairing: Eventual Hitsugaya/Hinamori, Kira/Hinamori
Spoilers: Anything up to episode 62 at this point.
Warnings: Innuendo, swearing.
Summary: It is years after the betrayal of Soul Society. Hinamori's finally beginning to move on with her life, and with that comes much change. Can Hitsugaya handle these changes?
Disclaimer: I do not own Beach; Tite Kubo does. I am not making any profit from this; it is for entertainment purposes only.
Author's Notes: Again, sorry for the lateness of this chapter. I had finals (5 of which were publics) and then graduation. And then… writer's block. I literally hit a brick wall whenever I tried to work on this. But then the other night, I was able to plan out the rest of it, so now I actually know where I'm going with the rest of this fic, which helped get rid of the writer's block. I think this fic will be at least 10 chapters in total, at maximum 12.
 
 
 
 
Tempests of the Heart
Chapter Four
 
_____________________________
 
 
“I think we should have a party.”
 
Hinamori didn't even look away from her dinner. “You always think that.”
 
“No, seriously.” Matsumoto said earnestly.
 
Hinamori finally looked up, raising an eyebrow incredulously at her.
 
In fact, her expression was so similar to a certain white haired captain's that Matsumoto wondered if he had been giving her tips.
 
Dear God, how scary would that be?
 
“And what would this party entail, Rangiku-san? Because I'm all for a party, as long as it's in the realm of sanity-”
 
“Oh, it will be.” She assured Hinamori, “Just a nice, relaxed little get together for the vice captains.”
 
“And would said vice captains be drinking insane amounts of alcohol? Because if it's anything like last time…”
 
“Okay, it wasn't that bad last time.” Matsumoto interjected.
 
Hinamori gave Matsumoto a look, saying dryly, “Where you and I at the same party? Because if memory serves me correctly, I ended up comforting a very drunk Hisagi all night because he was sobbing over some insult or another that you said to him-”
 
“I apologized to him later for that!”
 
“…And you and Renji and the rest were all passed out in the corner. And somehow, I don't quite understand how exactly, you managed to convince me to drink something I had never tried before and never will again. I ended up being completely plastered. You know I can't handle alcohol, Rangiku-san.”
 
“I know.” She said soothingly. “Look, it'll be a relatively calm party, with only a small amount of alcohol and you will not be anywhere near whatever it was you drank at the last party.” She gave her puppy dog eyes, “Pleaseee? It's been so long since we had a vice captain get together and it'll be fun.”
 
“Okay.” Hinamori caved finally, grinning. “You win. I'll help.”
 
“Yay!” Matsumoto cheered in victory.
 
“So, where are you going to have it? And when?”
 
“In the tenth division sitting room on Friday. That way I don't have to pay rental fees and if I need to pass out my bedroom's just down the hall.” Matsumoto grinned.
 
Hinamori giggled. “Sounds like a plan. So, Hitsugaya-kun was fine with you having it in the tenth division?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Really?” Hinamori asked. “That's surprising. I figured that he would be a rather reluctant to let you do something like that in his division.”
 
“Nah, he was completely cool with it.” Matsumoto said airily.
 
_____________________________
 
“Taicho?”
 
Sigh. “Yes, Matsumoto?”
 
“I have a… er, proposition for you.”
 
“I don't like the sound of that.”
 
“Well, I wanted to have a little vice captain get together and I was hoping to have it in the sitting room-”
 
“Absolutely not. You've had enough group drinking sprees here that have resulted in things being broken.”
 
“It's not going to be a drinking spree, and I already told everyone we were doing it here anyway. Tomorrow night.” There was an almost smug undertone at the end of her sentence.
 
“Gah.” Hitsugaya closed his eyes, feeling irritation growing in his stomach. She had him cornered. “Clever of you. And utterly sneaky. You know I can't say no, because that would risk offending the others if you suddenly had to cancel or change the plans in a way that would disadvantage them. And that would just be… annoying to deal with.”
 
“Exactly,” Matsumoto grinned slyly.
 
“Whatever. Just don't break anything or let anyone throw up inside or be too loud Otherwise I don't care. But if something is broken, or anything of the nature, you will be the one paying for it out of your salary.”
 
“Duly noted.”
 
“Good.”
 
“Thanks, taicho.” Her voice was sincere.
 
“You're welcome.” He gave her an almost smile then turned back to his work.
 
“So, you wouldn't be willing to help me clean up the sitting room, would you?”
 
Hitsugaya snorted.
 
She sighed. “I'll take that as a no.”
 
“Precisely.”
 
 
_____________________________
 
 
Hinamori surveyed the items on the low table in the tenth division sitting room. “Okay, so we have snacks, plates, sake cups… anything else we're missing?”
 
Matsumoto surveyed the room. “Nope, I think we're good… oh!” She hurried out of the room for a minute, returning with an armful of sake bottles. She grinned, “Now we're good.”
 
Hinamori snorted, “Of course. Can't forget the sake.”
 
“Hey, just because you can't handle your sake doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer.” Matsumoto said teasingly, the sake bottles making a clinking sound as she placed them on the table next to the other refreshments.
 
“Blah, blah, blah,” Hinamori rolled her eyes and Matsumoto snickered. “So, this starts at eight, right?”
 
“Yep. People should be arriving soon.”
 
There was a knock on the door, and Hitsugaya poked his head. “Matsumoto, remember what I told you. No messes, or loudness, or you will pay.” He looked at her sternly.
 
“Yeah, yeah, taicho,” Matsumoto sighed, picking up a sake bottle and filling a cup before swigging it down.
 
Hinamori was more than a little shocked, “Matsumoto! The party hasn't even started yet!”
 
Matsumoto shrugged lazily, “Like that even matters. I'll be having fun before the party even starts.”
 
“Gah,” Hinamori sighed in frustration. “You're incorrigible.”
 
“Damn right!” Matsumoto slammed the glass down cheerfully.
 
Hitsugaya looked at Hinamori pleadingly, “Hinamori, watch her throughout the night. Please, for the sake of my sanity.” He paused before muttering under his breath, “Or what's left of it.”
 
Hinamori chuckled, “Sure, Hitsugaya-kun. I'll make sure she behaves.”
 
“Good. I'm going to leave now before this madness starts.” Hitsugaya said as he turned to leave.
 
She grinned. “Okay. Have a good night.”
 
“Yes, I'll enjoy my night with the paperwork. I believe our relationship is growing.” Hitsugaya said dryly as he walked out the door.
 
Laughing, Hinamori called out through the door, “Be sure to invite me to the wedding!”
 
Hitsugaya simply waved her off as he headed into his quarters.
 
_____________________________
 
The party actually turned to be pretty calm. There were only a couple split drinks, and only once did something catch fire, which was quickly put out quickly by Nanao. There were no injuries so far either except for when Ikkaku made an off-handed remark mocking Hisagi's not so secret crush on Matsumoto, causing Hisagi to fall out of his chair.
 
Iba had brought some stronger alcohol with him when he arrived, and it hadn't really concerned Hinamori either. No one had become really out of control.
 
That was until someone dared Renji to sneak into Hitsugaya's quarters while he was sleeping and shave his head. Then Hinamori took away the harder alcohol.
 
It was a wise decision, really.
 
Yachiro had even shown up for a minutes. She grabbed a handful of food that she liked, bouncing around the room like a ping-pong ball on a sugar high before declaring chirpily that she had to get back to Ken-chan, leaving wreckage in her wake.
 
Now Hinamori was sitting out on the porch of the tenth division, calmly waiting for Kira. He had been willing to leave when she said she was going to sit out outside, but she'd told him to enjoy himself for another few minutes. She'd needed to get some air anyway.
 
He hadn't been drunk at all tonight, which had surprised her as he was usually as bad as Matsumoto and the rest. He'd only had a few drinks in total. Hinamori herself had only had a glass of sake and that had been enough to cause a warm, laziness within her muscles, relaxing her more than she normally would be. Her tolerance to alcohol was literally non-existent.
 
Perhaps Kira had drank less tonight for her benefit; she'd appreciated not having to lug him home like a limp ragdoll, as now that honour had apparently gone to her because she was the “girlfriend”. At least the was what Hisagi had informed her of an hour or so before.
 
He'd obviously had more than a few drinks.
 
Hinamori wasn't really sure if she could be called Kira's girlfriend just yet. They had been going out for a little over two months now, but she wasn't entirely convinced that term could be applied to their relationship at this point. They hadn't even discussed anything like that yet.
 
Regardless, their dynamic had shifted from what it had been previously, causing her to think that Kira had probably drank less out of thoughtfulness for her needs over his own. He knew it annoyed her to have to help someone back to their quarters because they'd drunk too much.
 
It was thoughtful, considerate and well… sweet of him.
 
Hinamori was glad it was dark and everyone was still inside so no one could see the rather present blush darkening her cheeks.
 
She heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Hitsugaya walking up behind her, looking rather cross and tired.
 
“You're still up?” Hinamori said, surprised. It wasn't terribly late, but Hitsugaya generally went to bed fairly early. She made a face, “I guess they were being too loud. I'll make them shut up, if you want.”
 
“That's not necessary. I can't really sleep anyway.” He sat down beside her, looking up at the bright, full moon.
 
“It's beautiful, isn't it?” She said softly, and Hitsugaya made a little noise of agreement. She suddenly chuckled. “It reminds me of those times when we used to sit out on Granny's porch and watch the sun set and then the moon would come up. We'd eat watermelon for practically hours, and you'd have watermelon juice all over your face. I'd try to wipe it away but you'd swat me away like I was an annoying mosquito.” She laughed quietly.
 
“That's because you were.” Hitsugaya said dryly and Hinamori poked him in the side playfully. “You'd always be so fussy, mothering me and everything.”
 
“And then Granny would scold us for arguing and make us go to bed.” She giggled.
 
“Che. You were the one arguing, I was being perfectly reasonable.”
 
“More like stubborn.” Hinamori interjected, and Hitsugaya returned her earlier poke.
 
“Ow! Don't, Shiro-chan!”
 
“So whiney. Like you didn't poke me first. And it's Hitsugaya-taicho.”
 
“Bah, whatever.” Hinamori grumbled, lying flat on her back so that she could look up at the moon easier. Hitsugaya did the same, and they were close enough that their shoulders were touching. “I so want some watermelon now.” She murmured.
 
“I haven't had any in years.” Hitsugaya said softly.
 
“Me either. It isn't exactly the most dignified food to eat in public.” Hinamori smiled, her gaze faraway as she reminisced. “Those were fun times, weren't they Shiro-chan?”
 
“They were.” He agreed. “No responsibilities or paperwork…”
 
“Stop, you're making me miss childhood.” She laughed.
 
There was a shuffling sound behind them and they both turned to see Kira. He looked at Hinamori, “Hey. Are you ready to leave?”
 
“Yep.” Hinamori said, standing up and dusting off her robes.
 
Hitsugaya raised an eyebrow at them. “You're leaving already?”
 
“Yeah, I'm tired. But don't worry, Isae fuku-taicho is still there, and she's watching Matsumoto like a hawk.” Hinamori said with a teasing note in her voice.
 
“Well, that's some small comfort.” Hitsugaya replied dryly, before standing up as well. “I may as well go to bed too.”
 
“Okay. Goodnight, Hitsugaya-kun.” Hinamori smiled at him.
 
“Goodnight, Hitsugaya-taicho.” Kira said politely.
 
Hitsugaya bade them goodnight as well. He watched them walk away, staying long enough on the porch to see Kira wrap an around Hinamori before she laid her head on his shoulder. Sighing, he headed back into the tenth division.
 
_____________________________
 
 
“Good party?” Hinamori asked as she and Kira walked back to their divisions. She shivered slightly from the cool air of the evening, huddling closer to him for warmth.
 
“Yeah. Nothing too insane happened though.” He said, tucking her closer to him in an unconscious attempt to keep her warm.
 
“Thank the gods for that.” She muttered darkly and Kira laughed.
 
They stopped in front of the fifth division. “Well, I guess I'll say goodnight.” Kira said, smiling slightly before leaning down to kiss her. His lips were soft and she found herself melting willingly against him. The kiss left her toes tingling, warmth spreading through her veins and she realized that she didn't want him to leave. “Don't go.” She murmured against his lips, hands clinging to the front of his robes.
 
He pulled away slightly, breaking the kiss. “What?”
 
“Don't go.” She whispered again.
 
Kira blinked. “Do you mean…”
 
She took a deep breath, before smiling tentatively, “Stay the night.” She stood on her tiptoes to kiss him again. When she pulled away, he fixed her with an unreadable expression.
 
Finally, after several long seconds he spoke.
 
“Okay.”
 
_____________________________
 
End of chapter four.
 
 
Author's notes: My, my, Hinamori and Kira seem to be getting a lot closer, huh? :P I foresee more Hitsugaya angst/jealousy ahead… things are going to become more intense in the next chapter.
 
Also, on that note. A few months ago, when my friend Chris heard that I was writing a fic with a Hinamori/Kira pairing in it, screamed, “EMO BABIES!!!” Very loudly, and repetitively. It seemed appropriate to mention that after the end of this chapter. So in response to his spazz out, no Chris, there will not be any emo babies. At least not in this fic. :P Poor Kira, he's so misunderstood. XD
 
One more thing. I feel the need to thank my best friend, who is my beta reader… of sorts. XD If it wasn't for her encouragement during this fic, I would not have posted it, let alone continued it. Thank you, Chelsea, for being my bestie. <3 <3