Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Tempests of the Heart ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tempests of the Heart (5/?)
Author: blue_crystal_9
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Eventual Hitsugaya/Hinamori, Kira/Hinamori
Spoilers: Anything up to episode 62 at this point.
Warnings: Innuendo, swearing.
Summary: It is years after the betrayal of Soul Society. Hinamori's finally beginning to move on with her life, and with that comes much change. Can Hitsugaya handle these changes?
Disclaimer: I do not own Beach; Tite Kubo does. I am not making any profit from this; it is for entertainment purposes only.
Author's Notes: Holy crap, I actually this out two weeks after the previous chapter instead of like, a month. Yay. :P
 
Also, I apologize if there are any errors. I was really tired before I posted this (one of my relatives was staying with my family and she returned home today so we had to take her to the airport. At 4:30 a.m. might I add, so I decided there was no point to go to sleep because I'm usually up until 3:00 or later anyway. So after her plane left I came home and crashed, but I still only had about three hours of sleep. And this is coming from someone who needs at least nine hours of sleep to properly function. ;_; ), so I may have missed some mistakes.
 
 
Tempests of the Heart
Chapter Five
 
_____________________________
 
 
Hitsugaya was beginning to suspect something was going on between them. They were… closer somehow. They came into breakfast together, which wasn't too unusual, but normally they came separately and met in the mess hall.
 
But it wasn't like he constantly watched them. He wasn't a stalker or anything.
 
Really.
 
It hadn't helped his suspicions when he'd seen Kira take Hinamori's hand on their way to a table.
 
And he'd heard him call her Momo. Momo. Were they actually on a first name basis now? That… well, that said a lot.
 
His suspicions grew at an alarming rate when Hinamori gave Kira a quick peck on the lips before she headed off to work.
 
In public. He'd never seen them kiss in public before.
 
Yes, they had definitely grown closer over the weekend.
 
But… did that mean that they'd…?
 
Obviously, it meant something significant. But he wasn't going to allow his thoughts to stray there anymore.
 
He ignored the twinge of jealousy he suddenly felt and forced himself to think about something else.
 
_____________________________
 
Matsumoto had caught up with Hinamori on the way to work after breakfast.
 
“So, how did the rest of your weekend go? I didn't see you after Friday night.”
 
Hinamori smiled, her cheeks turning slightly pink. “Good. Really good.”
 
“So, you and Kira slept together.” It was a statement, not a question.
 
Really, by now she shouldn't be surprised Matsumoto had been able to guess it. She still blushed furiously, however. “How do you know these things?” She hissed, looking around wildly to see if anyone had overheard.
 
“Because it's pretty obvious from your happy expression. Not to mention your body language screams it. You're not one for subtlety.” Matsumoto replied simply.
 
Hinamori looked down at herself, and brushed off her robes, as though that would make the obviousness disappear.
 
“So, how'd it go?” Matsumoto pried.
 
“Nosey much?” Hinamori snapped, embarrassed. Her face reddened even further.
 
“Oh come on, spill. I need someone to live through vicariously.” She made a face, “Even if it is with Kira.”
 
Hinamori sighed, relenting. “Well… at first it got off to a slow start because, well, Kira and I are kind of…”
 
“Shy, inexperienced and awkward?” Matsumoto supplied, smirking.
 
“Well… yes. But then it went pretty good. Better than good.” She flushed again.
 
“Well, that's good. I'm happy for you.” Matsumoto said, an almost teasing note to her voice.
 
Hinamori looked at her suspiciously, getting the feeling that somehow she was being made fun of. She certainly wouldn't put it past Matsumoto. “Yeah, thanks. I think. And now we are stopping this conversation and moving on to a different topic. Far, far away from Kira and me.”
 
Matsumoto laughed, “Okay, fine.”
 
_____________________________
 
 
A hour later, Matsumoto sat at her desk, pretending to do paperwork. Her mind was more concerned with trying to figure out a way to sneak in a bottle of sake without her captain finding out.
 
His voice made her jump. “Matsumoto…” She cringed, waiting for a reprimand from the white haired captain. It never came. Instead, he asked hesitantly, “Are Hinamori and Kira… closer now?”
 
Matsumoto blinked, surprised. “Er… yeah, I guess. I'm pretty sure they're officially together now and all. Why?”
 
“Nothing. I just noticed they seemed to act differently around each other.” His voice was cool, controlled.
 
Matsumoto knew that internally, it was a completely different matter.
 
“I'm sorry, taicho.”
 
“There's no need for you to be, Matsumoto.”
 
“But-“
 
“No.” Hitsugaya said sharply. “Stay out of it, Matsumoto. It's none of your concern.”
 
He stood up and stalked toward the door.
 
“Where are you going?”
 
“For a walk.” He said shortly, slamming the door behind him.
 
Matsumoto sighed heavily, running a hand through her hair.
 
This whole business was really getting frustrating.
 
_____________________________
 
Hitsugaya walked past the division barracks until he hit a grassy area of soul society which was more open with less activity. He paced around this area, trying to get his emotions under control.
 
Jealousy was the hardest to control. It seeped through his veins making him more furious than he already was. A tiny voice in his head whispered, `I told you they'd eventually sleep together.' Not that it had been exactly confirmed or anything (and he certainly wasn't going to go look for confirmation either), but he just knew. He'd hoped that they were not going to reach that point, but apparently they had.
 
For the look of pity Matsumoto had given him a few minutes ago had said everything he needed to know.
 
Hitsugaya clenched his teeth, fighting the urge to hit something. Specifically Kira, and repeatedly. But that wouldn't change the situation, and he wasn't going to do it anyway. It was improper behaviour for a captain, even if said captain was extremely angry right now.
 
He exhaled harshly, the frown on his face more pronounced than usual. This was the second time in the last few weeks he'd gotten snappish with his vice captain over something besides paperwork and drinking. And even then, he usually only got mildly irritated with her. Today, he'd been a hair's breath away from actually yelling at her. He shouldn't be taking out his frustrations on her; it was unwarranted. She was only concerned, after all. He sighed; he needed to apologize to her later.
 
He needed to get himself under control. Yes, Hinamori and Kira were… lovers now. His jaw tightened at the thought, but he ignored it. He needed to deal with it, because it didn't seem like that fact would change any time soon.
 
Regardless, Hitsugaya had more than just strong suspicions that Hinamori didn't feel the same way about him as he did her. He hadn't been all that subtle about how he felt about her when they were younger. He'd been so overly protective of her, and had nearly lost his own life trying to save hers. That, he felt, spoke volumes. So, either she was completely oblivious, or wasn't willing or ready to be with him.
 
He wasn't going to try to interfere with her and Kira, because he hadn't seen her that happy in years. She actually seemed to be glowing lately. And that was really all he wanted, for her to be content.
 
So if one day she changed her mind, or if he was right about her being oblivious to his feelings and actually realized what was going on, she knew where to find him. He'd always be around, waiting in the wings.
 
In his heart, he knew he'd wait forever for her.
 
_____________________________
 
 
When Hitsugaya came back into the office, he entered to see Matsumoto obstructed by a large pile of paperwork.
 
When she spotted him, she nearly cried in relief, “Oh, thank god you're back. The paperwork's been piling up since you left and…” She trailed off, making puppy eyes at him. “Help me! Please!
 
“Oy.” Hitsugaya sighed, before grabbing half of the pile. “Fine. But make sure you do your share. Including whatever else you haven't finished.”
 
“Absolutely, taicho!” She beamed at him.
 
For several minutes, there was only the sound of paper rustling.
 
“Matsumoto?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“I apologize for snapping at you earlier.”
 
“It's fine, taicho.” Matsumoto said dismissively.
 
“Still, you didn't deserve it. And I don't believe in getting angry with someone unless there's a good reason for it.”
 
He heard her move, and suddenly she was by his desk. She squeezed his shoulder comfortingly, smiling at him slightly. “Thanks, taicho.” His lips quirked up in response, and she looked up at him, her gaze supportive. “I hope she realizes what she's missing.”
 
“Me too.”
 
She let go then, and her face brightened. “Well, since you're back now, it's time for me to take my break!”
 
“But-” Before he could even get the words out of his mouth, she was out of the door in a blur of strawberry blond hair and black robes.
 
He growled lowly, thundering, “Matsumoto!
 
He really needed to keep a leash on her.
 
_____________________________
 
“Momo!”
 
Hinamori turned to see Kira trying to catch up with her.
 
“Hey, Izuru.” She smiled at him when he finally caught up with her.
 
He kissed her lightly before speaking. “Guess what I just heard?”
 
“What?” She asked, intertwining her hand with his.
 
“Apparently Yamamoto is considering letting us have a little celebration.”
 
“Really.” Surprise colored her voice.
 
“Yeah, they're thinking of having a ball.”
 
“A ball?” Hinamori asked incredulously.
 
“Yeah. I mean, it's only a rumour and everything, but it's still a possibility.”
 
“Well, it would be fun.” Hinamori admitted, before frowning suspiciously, “Wait, who did you hear this from?”
 
“I heard it from Renji who heard it from Iba who heard it from-”
 
“Izuru.” Hinamori gave Kira a look. “They're not exactly the most reliable people, at least concerning things outside of work. Who knows where they might have picked up that story.”
 
“Still, it would be cool. And,” He said as relinquished her hand to wrap an arm around her shoulders, “I was thinking that if this event were to occur, that you might accompany me.”
 
“Oh, were you now?” Hinamori asked, a teasing note in her voice.
 
“Yes.” Kira grinned.
 
“Sure. I'd love to go with you, if there actually is going to be a ball.” She smiled up at him.
 
“Awesome.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead. “It's supposed to be around the middle of the month, so in like two weeks, if the rumours are correct.”
 
“Hmm.” Hinamori hummed thoughtfully, before she suddenly froze. It suddenly hit her what time of the year it was. She'd been so busy with Kira and everything else that she hadn't even noticed the date that was looming before her.
 
On Friday, it would be the anniversary of the day Aizen had tried to kill her.
 
“What's wrong?” Kira asked, noticing her expression.
 
She snapped out of it, trying to smile. “Nothing. I'm fine.”
 
“Okay. If you're sure.” He gave her a puzzled look.
 
She kissed him. “Really, I'm great. Now, let's go; I'm hungry.”
 
Kira allowed her to tug him toward the mess hall in search of supper.
 
Hinamori swallowed, anxiety building in her stomach. She hated when that anniversary came around. The day would be awful, as it always was. It was one of the days where the depression would hit her hardest.
 
She hid her anxiety and kept the smile on her face.
 
She didn't need to worry Kira about it anyway.
 
_____________________________
 
End of chapter five.
 
 
 
Notes: By using the word “ball”, I don't really mean quite that formally. But using the word dance seemed way too informal… so ball it was. Basically a party-dance type thing. :P Because we all know how much the Japanese like to party. ;P
 
Also, I'm going to try to have a chapter or even more out a week, because in the beginning of September I'm starting university, and who knows how busy I'll be then. So hence, I'd like to have this fic finished before I leave. :)