Buffy The Vampire Slayer Fan Fiction ❯ We Stalk The Night ❯ We Stalk The Night: Part Two (Complete) ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
We Stalk The Night: Part Two








He’s stopped moving. Waiting now. The challenge thick scented in the air. He’s testing me. Wants to know what’s happened to the little Zeppo from SunnyD. I chuckle low in my throat and it ends in a high pitched giggle. I can’t help it, I’m excited. A spike in his scent turns me in the right direction and I know I’m close. Not for the first time I curse the high grass that blocks might sight. I’m no longer concerned with stealth as I speed up, the ground crunching loudly beneath my heavy boots. My heart is racing. “Found you.”


Xander. My eyes focus on the man in front of me and even through the darkness that surrounds us I can see how much life has changed him. Gone is the lanky, fumbling teenager who was all smiles and laughter. This is no boy that stand before me, but a man forced to grow up too soon, with battle scars inside and out. My gaze flickers to the patch covering his left eye and I know it’s a story best saved for another time. His scent is feral, shocking my nerves as I breath him in. “Been a while, boy.”


My hackles rise at the familiar name once used to put me in my place. I take a step forward, grinning as he tenses but remains still. I’m a hair’s breath away from him now, breathing in his scent, watching as his eyes flash in the darkness. My fingers touch the side of his face and he growls, though it’s not threatening. There’s something different, something not right. My hand travels down until I reach his chest. There. He stiffens but doesn’t stop me and buttons pop as I pull his shirt open. I’m pretty sure that isn’t a tattoo.


It takes everything I have inside not to snatch his hand away. To pull away and cover the burned flesh that will forever remind me of everything I’ve lost. I force myself to stand still as he traces the blackened thorns with his fingertips. After he’s completed the circle he looks up at me, his gaze clear and questioning. I shake my head. Another story best saved for later. And he understands. His hand falls to his side and we stand silent, looking at each other with questions burning in our eyes, neither volunteering answers. We’re caught in a stalemate.


Other than the strange mark on his chest, he hasn’t changed… Duh. Still with the brood, possibly more so now. I can sense the sadness there. The beast inside me yearns to comfort him. My fingers itch to touch him, to soothe away his troubles, even just for a moment, even though I know how much damage just one moment can cause. I whimper softly and his eyes flash golden in the darkness. I reach out, hesitantly touch my fingers to his chest again and slide down, feeling his stomach muscles jump beneath my fingertips. I hold a breath. “Angel.”


Just a whisper of my name on his lips and I’m gone. The African night is silent but for soft growls and whimpers and the racing beat of Xander’s heart against my chest. There is no Alpha male here tonight, only two men who aren’t men, both with beasts raging inside needing to be touched, caressed, comforted. Understood. There would be time later for questions neither of us can remember wanting answers to as mouths and hands roam heated flesh. Nothing else matters but the aching scrape of teeth and the soft sweep of tongues as we stalk the night.






-Ta-

A/N: If anyone is wondering why I didn’t give away Xander and Angel’s identities right off the bat, it’s simply because I wanted it to be a mystery.