Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ In Which a Meeting Takes Place ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Atheria: Well I've had this idea rolling around in my head for a while. I didn't realize a movie had been made off a similar idea until a friend mentioned it. Well I watched it and I, one don't like the ending, and two don't think the portrayal is very accurate. I mean Mandy doesn't even look sick the entire movie, full head of hair and everything. :s Yeah so I'm doing something kinda alike with Detective Conan. Why? Because I love that show! Any way I'll be throwing in my own cases, and I'll try making my own characters not a Mary-sue. Now for the disclaimer:
 
I has Beta! She is a very cool cat, whose going to bring me out of grammar suck, so there will be new updates to these chapters…
 
I do not own Cased Closed or any of the assorted characters used from that universe, they belong to Gosho Aoyama. They are used without permission, but I don't suggest suing me, as I am a very poor college student with no financial assets. (I.e. it would cost you more to sue me than you would get from me monetarily.)
 
Thoughts= `blah'
Spoken= “blah ”
 
In Which a Meeting Takes Place
June 21, 1995
It was another bright and beautiful summer day in Beika city. Birds twittered happily, flowers blossomed in a confetti of colors, and children played in the long days of the months without school. The world was swirling with life all around the group of four kids walking calmly towards a park near the center of the bustling city. “So Conan now that school's out, what are you gonna do?” Amy inquired. Conan stared blankly ahead, oblivious to her question. He was lost in the tempest of his dark thoughts, a stark contrast to the bright day around him.
 
`One year. 12 months, 365 days, 8760 hours, 525,600 minutes, 3,153,6000 seconds. In such a period, so much could happen. So much should have happened. What has changed in so much time?' Conan paused, realizing Amy had been talking to him.
 
“ -Said, what do you want to do this summer?” Amy repeated impatiently.
 
“Oh well, I'm probably going to hang out with Mr. Moore. That way I can be there when the famous detective solves cases.” Conan crooned with admiration. Amy smiled in return, happy to seemingly have his attention again. She continued on as Conan's concentration turned inward once again. `Nothing.' Conan noted morosely answering his own question. `I'm still a pint-sized pip-squeak. I have no real clue how deeply the black organization runs, or who any their members are. More importantly, while the cases are interesting, they are leading me nowhere. I wonder if I'll ever get to be Jimmy again.' Jimmy Kudo sighed then turned to look at Amy, who had once again stopped talking. Recognizing he had once again been asked a question, he turned the last few minutes of excited buzzing that had been Amy's voice into words in his head. “Yeah I'd love to go to the arcade with you guys, but we're already so close to the park. Maybe we can go there instead?” Jimmy offered with carefully constructed fake cheer. Mitch and Amy joyously agreed, while George complained about wanting to play video games.
 
“You're out-numbered!” Mitch pointed out with glee, and rushed towards the opening to the park across the street. Jimmy ran automatically after them, and into the green oasis of the park. The other members of the Junior Detective League ran towards the coveted spots on the swings. Jimmy took the opportunity of their distracted state to race towards the trees farther in the park, and well away from prying eyes.
 
`At least there I can think uninterrupted.' Jimmy reflected. He ran to a bench he often used for deep thought, and sat down with a huff. He took a moment to absorb his surroundings, half-heartedly hoping the cool calm area would help assuage the heat of his fervent thoughts. Light flittered through the thick canopy of the old trees and down towards the world's smallest detective. A gentle summer breeze ruffled the trees, sending bright green leaves spiraling towards the ground. Jimmy's eyes followed the leaves down to the bright pink colors of the Azalea blooms growing along the ground in pretty bunches. The entire grove was filled with them and their light purple counter-parts Wisteria. Usually, the colorful scene would lift even the most sour moods, but faced with the abject hopelessness of his life, Jimmy found the bright colors the opposite of soothing. The lovely colors of the flowers only served to darken his bitter mood, as it reminded him of the happiness life was currently trying its best to deprive him of. `Its probably hopeless. I should just give up now and-' “Ow!” Jimmy's pity party was rudely interrupted by a rubber ball slamming into his head. Rubbing his head angrily, he began to look for the offending kicker. There was no one in sight for yards; the closest kids were playing on the swings near his new friends. Now concerned he was being watched, Jimmy warily scanned his surroundings. A fit of giggles followed by a surprised yelp drew his attention astonishingly into the trees. Looking up, he saw a pair of legs dive-bombing towards his current position on the bench. Thinking fast, Jimmy jumped from his place on the bench and to the grass in front of it. He turned with the rubber ball in hand ready to slam it into his supposed enemy, when Japan's greatest detective got his first look at his would be assailant. A girl about his age lay in a tangled heap on the bench he was just sitting on. Jimmy blinked astonished at the girl now shaking the leaves off her expensive looking uniform. `She must go to a private school, and an exclusive one at that. I don't even recognize the colors. But-' “What were you doing up there?” Jimmy finished the rest of his thought aloud. The girl started primping herself, as she brushed the last of the leaves of her uniform. “Hello? I'm talking to you! Girl!” Jimmy cried as he motioned to get her attention.
 
The girl sitting on the bench fluffed her skirt before replying, “ I am neither deaf nor dumb, there is no need to scream at me. I was well aware you were referring to me earlier, however your mode of address is quite inappropriate and more to the point rude.” The girl paused to smooth her pressed shirt into the proper position. “It is not polite to demand something of someone with whom you have not been properly introduced.” the girl spoke haughtily. Jimmy leveled an angry stare at the over dressed schoolgirl before him.
 
`Just who does this little Prima Donna think she is?!' Jim wondered heatedly. “Hey all I want to know is if the `Miss Cultured Pageant' winner has a reason to jump out of trees at people. I don't need the winning speech.” Jim retorted.
 
“I refuse to answer any questions until you both apologize for your rude behavior and introduce yourself.” the young girl returned his glare with equal heat. Jimmy bit off a nasty rejoinder, and opted to throw the ball instead. She grabbed the ball thrown at her with obviously practiced grace, and set it gingerly next to her on the bench. “ I suppose you were not taught any manners. That is the only explanation for your attitude that I can fathom. Since you do not know any better, I will make an exception and introduce myself first. My name is Candace Scarlett Johansson. What is your name?” Candace added in the least condescending tone she had used since the beginning of the conversation. Put off by the juxtaposition of social niceties and singular insults, Jimmy only gaped at her in awe.
 
`The audacity! That little…' “ Why do I owe you my name if you can manage to singularly insult myself and my parents at the same time? I don't think that's in any polite society rulebook. Besides, you probably think-”
 
“Don't you dare attempt to ascertain my reasoning! It is most likely beyond your ability, just answer my question politely and I will attempt to answer yours. That way I can leave you moping around about some perceived injustice, like you were doing earlier.” Candace spat peeved at Jimmy's riposte. Jimmy glared irritably at her again, but decided to just go along with it to speed this unpleasant encounter along.
 
“ Conan Edogawa.” Jimmy answered curtly. Candace remained silent. `What is she-' Jim's eyes lit up behind his glasses when he remembered the other stipulation of conversing with the spoiled brat before him. “ I'm sorry.” Jimmy said unconvincingly.
 
“ Well I don't believe you, and you didn't say for what, but I suppose that will do.” Candace stated as she stood from her place on the bench. “ Pleased to make your acquaintance Conan Edogawa.” She walked over to Jimmy and held out her hand. Jim looked at her for a moment, wondering where her anger had vaporized to, before shaking her outstretched hand. Candace pulled Jimmy to the ground, and then bounced the ball unceremoniously off his head, before catching it on the way back towards her body. “That was for trying to hit me with a ball. I forgive you.” Candace said while placing a piece of sandy brown hair behind an ear. She placed the ball on her hip, and then extended her other arm towards Jimmy to help him up. Deciding to not take any chances, he stood by himself. “ I think you are tolerable, much more so than other children my age. Would you like to talk?” Candace intoned like only a kid who had discovered something wonderful could.
 
`What is it with this girl? One minute she hates me, the next she wants to have meaningful conversations with me.' Jimmy thought bewildered by her odd attitude. `At least she's honest about how she feels,' Jimmy considered. “ I don't think so. In the few minutes I've known you, you have insulted me, attacked me twice, and forgave me like I was the one being rude. I could get teeth pulled and it would put me in a better mood.” Jimmy grumbled while stalking off. Candace followed behind him until they reached the entrance to the grove. Jim turned to tell her to stop following him around, to find she was already gone. He turned around to find her standing in a crowd of toddlers.
 
“ Here's your ball.” Candace spoke gently while leaning down to hand over the red rubber plaything. “ Now be careful and don't let the other big kids take it again. Ok?” Candace chided softly. The little boy she handed it to nodded vigorously before running to play with his new toy. Candace turned and tossed a smug glance over her shoulder at Jimmy before walking towards the front of the park. Jim got the message.
 
`Well what does it matter if she helps kids, that girl is still the biggest spoiled brat I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.' He observed. Jimmy glared the final bit of his anger out at the last spot she had occupied.
 
“ Hey Conan where ya' been!?” George screamed as he waved Jimmy over towards the swings where the rest of the Junior Detective League was playing. He determined to forget the weird encounter, and enjoy the rest of the day.
 
`It is the first day of summer after all.' Jim considered happily for the first time that day.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~******************************************* ****~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Later that day:
Jimmy parted ways with the rest of the Junior Detective League, as he walked up the stairs to the Moore apartment. He knocked on the door, and flashed a smile at Rachael, as she opened the door at his arrival. Jimmy took off his shoes, and walked into the living room of the apartment he shared with the Moore's. He was surprised to find Richard conversing with a couple on the couch. Sneaking into the room, Jim slipped behind the couch the couple was seated on to eavesdrop on the current conversation. “I was hoping you could help us locate someone for us. This person is an old friend of the family, a doctor in fact. We lost touch with him when we went back home, but we wanted to catch up with him again. We have an old picture…” The male part of the couple started as his wife rummaged for the picture in his purse. Jimmy peaked over the top of the couch, to get a better look at the couple. Looking over the top of the couch Jimmy got the surprise of the day.
 
`I don't believe it!' Jimmy thought shock written all over his features.
 
“Mr. Moore you did not say you had a son.” A familiar voice intoned in a chair across from the couch the couple was seated on. There, sitting not three feet from him was the current annoyance that buzzed at his patience, Candace Johansson.
 
“ I don't have a…” Richard Moore started absently before spotting Jimmy backing towards the door. “ Oh that's just Conan. I'm watching the brat till his parents get back from working overseas.” Richard stated flippantly. Jimmy sweat dropped and continued to back out of the room.
 
“Looks like I interrupted a meeting, sorry I'll come back later,” Jimmy spoke quickly, turning to rush out of the room and running into someone.
 
“Hey Conan looks like you met Mr. and Mrs. Johansson.” Rachael smiled down at him.
 
“Uh yeah, well I was just-”
 
“Spying on us?” Candace offered. Jimmy flushed, embarrassed at having been caught.
 
“Candace! That was very rude. I'm sure Conan has no reason to lurk around in his own home. Not only that, I'm sure he has better things to do than spy on people he doesn't even know.” Candace's mother scolded loudly. Candace's smug smirk faded off her face.
 
“You are right mother. Forgive me Conan, I had no right to say that.” `At least without evidence.' Candace amended mentally. Richard laughed his trademark cackle turning the room's focus back to him.
 
“That brat is always lurking around places he doesn't belong. He probably was spying, the little trouble maker.” Richard chuckled through the explanation. “But back to the matter at hand, you were giving me a picture of that doctor?” Richard asked.
 
“Oh yes…” Candace's mother trailed off and ruffled through her oversized purse.
 
“Why does she have such a large purse for? Her daughter isn't a baby, so she wouldn't need to carry anything like bottles or formula or toys.' Jimmy observed. After a few more moments, Candace's mother found the picture she was looking for.
 
“Here it is.” Candace's mother handed over the snapshot. While Richard looked over the photo as Jimmy wandered to his side.
 
“How old is this picture?” Jimmy asked as he snatched it from Richard. Richard knocked him over the head and took the picture back.
 
“It's about five years old.” Candace's mother indulged.
 
“It was in the summer of `90 wasn't it Victoria?” Candace's father inquired.
 
“I think it was Anthony. That was such a nice summer, one of the best in my life I think.” Victoria said as she reminisced about the past. Jimmy rubbed his head from his spot on the floor.
 
“You wouldn't happen to have a more recent picture would you?” Richard requested.
 
“Oh not with us. We didn't bring any more pictures with us. You see we were under the conclusion he was still here in Beika. He had a clinic here, but he apparently moved, and no one can tell us where. He practices a specialty, you see, so not many folks knew him. The ones that did, moved along with him I guess.” Anthony finished with a sagely nod of the head.
 
“Oh well maybe you can tell me what he practices? It'll help my find him sooner.”
 
“Certainly, he practices pediatric oncology with a specialty in leukemias and myelomas. Not a broad field I'm sure, so it should help you narrow it down.” Anthony assumed. “It sure will. If you don't have anything else to add, we can conclude this meeting.” Richard and prepared to usher them out of the apartment. “I'll call you when I get any leads, you do have a number I can reach you by on that page you filled out?” Richard asked. The Johansson's nodded in response, before scanning the room.
 
“Where has Candace gotten to?” Victoria wondered idly as her preliminary search of the room hadn't yielded her daughter. In another part of the apartment, Jimmy Kudo was thinking the same thing, albeit more crossly.
 
`Where has that little Prima Donna gotten to?' He had searched the front part of the apartment to no avail. `I didn't even noticed when she slipped off.' Jimmy continued just as irately. Jimmy walked towards the back of the apartment, and then searched the bedrooms. He passed the open bathroom and continued towards the very back of the building. `Can't be in the bathroom, and there's no way so passed me so where did she go?' Jimmy reasoned. Jim rounded a corner leading to the backside of the building and was once again surprised. Candace was just standing there in plain sight basking in the ruddy glow of the setting sun. Taking the moment to finally absorb in the appearance of someone he was coming to rue ever meeting, Jim was stunned. Candace's short sandy brown hair waved in the summer breeze, occasionally drifting over her forest green eyes. She was thin and tomboyish in appearance, despite the clearly feminine skirt and fitted blazer she wore. She was wearing flat slippers. By the time Jim had finished looking her over and made his way back to her face, she was staring pointedly into his eyes. Unnerved by the ferocity behind her gaze, Jimmy took a step back.
 
“You didn't have to embarrass me in there you know. Letting my mother chide me when you were the one spying, honestly one would wonder whether you have any friends at all.” Candace uttered ardent about his part in her scolding.
 
“I wasn't spying.” Jim maintained.
 
“ You snuck into the room, when you thought no one was looking, crouched behind the couch my parents were sitting on, and listened to their conversation without so much as telling anyone you were there. Then you tried to sneak a peak over the top of the couch to get a good look at them.” Candace stated. “If that's not spying, then tell me what constitutes espionage-like activity in your book?” she posed. Jimmy blinked in surprise.
`I thought no one even saw me enter, I was quiet enough.' Jimmy mused. “ Well I guess you caught me, but if you knew all that, why didn't you just call me out?”
 
“I didn't have any real proof, just my word and your knowledge of the activities. It would be my word against yours, no one would believe me, though Mr. Moore might.” Candace articulated, her eyes dancing with amusement. A few silent moments passed between the two children before Candace turned back to the sunset. “ It is breathtaking.” Candace mused. “They don't have sunsets like this in America.”
 
“You lived in the States,” Jim's curiosity getting the better of him. Candace hummed an affirmative in reply. Jimmy wandered distractedly to the edge of the railing next to Candace, taking in the beauty of the fading summer sun. The two stood in an amazingly companionable silence, till the last rays of the sun slipped below the horizon. The stars were beginning to twinkle in the sky, and Candace had taken an interest in them as well.
 
“Candace! There you are.” Victoria Johansson shrieked. Her shrill voice broke the serene silence the two of them had been enjoying. Catching them both off guard, Mrs. Johansson stomped over to Candace and practically dragged her away from the railing. “You shouldn't wander off like that. You know I'll worry about you.” Mrs. Johansson reprimanded, crying in a weird cross between desperation, relief, and anger.
 
“I'm sorry mother, but the view of the sunset was so lovely from the balcony-”
 
“A balcony!” Victoria shrieked again, suddenly absorbing her surroundings. “You'll catch a chill out her, lolling about out here.” Victoria moaned dramatically while dragging her unwilling child behind her.
 
`Never mind it's the middle of summer.' Jimmy mused amused at the current situation. Jimmy followed them back through the apartment and into the living room.
 
“Mr. Moore we will see you in a few days. Have a good evening.” Victoria huffed as she shooed her family out of the door.
 
“Well they seem…” Rachael started looking for the right word to describe them.
 
“I don't care what they are, as long as they pay.” Richard finished the thought hanging in the air. “ And where were you?” Richard grilled Jimmy. Jimmy sweat dropped at Richard's serious tone, and then shrugged his shoulders.
 
“Ah leave him alone dad. Come on Conan, it's time for bed. We need to go shopping early tomorrow and I don't want you grumpy again.” Rachael said pushing him from the room.
 
“Ah but Rachael just a few more minutes! It is summer ya' know?” Jimmy tried uselessly. Before long Jimmy was rushed into bed. `I wonder what is up with that girl?' Jimmy thought before he turned over and drifted off into sleep.
 
 
Atheria: Yeah so Candace is an ass. :D I kinda want her that way, but don't worry she won't act that way forever, and not towards everyone. Besides her mom is an even bigger ass, you'll see in a few chapters. This is my first Detective Conan/Cased Closed fanfic, so tell me if my characterization is off. As always R+R.