Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Moon Dreams ❯ Will O' The Wisp ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Cowboy Bebop (manga/anime) I am only a fan trying to write a worthwhile story.
 
Session 1: Will O' The Wisp
 
I had nowhere to go, nothing to do
I didn't know what to do with myself
I was left alone in this universe
Away from all the people who cared
If he even cared at all
He died that day in my arms
Because…
I was to late to save him
Maybe it was my entire fault.
 
 
Two years had passed since that faithful day when Spike left to go fight Vicious. Their hate for eachother reached its apex when Julia died. The deadly sins of wrath and lust overtook their judgment and two proud men collided, ending each other's life. It was inevitable but Faye wouldn't allow herself to believe in such a thing; she believed that she could will this man who broke her heart into leaving his past behind. Unfortunately, he couldn't, `Your gonna carry that weight…' he said faintly before passing on. His star faded only to leave hers twinkling faintly in the darkest part of the universe, alone.
 
There wasn't much of an idea of what was left for her to do. Faye was still relatively new to this world and it was hardly ever kind to her. Life here was a curse; never did she receive a blessing and if she did, it was taken from her in the harshest of ways. Even so, Faye had to move on, if there was anything she did know how to do, it was to keep moving as if she was busy, as if she had an important well planned out life. With the money she had managed to save and receive from selling her Redtail, she decided to travel across Mars to live in anonymity and it worked…for a while at least.
 
While going through the vast deserted wasteland of southern Mars in a rented car, she decided to stop in the small town of Canton. It was very similar to an old west type of society, old wooden buildings lined together on the town's main street. Saloons and brothels bustled with drunk men and sleazy women, all of them screaming, hollering, and acting very human. The newer part of town was just past the old church to the north of town; there, the town bustled with small factories, cafés, banks, restaurants, and housing. However, in comparison with any large town in Mars, this town was fairly run down. The new buildings were at the same standards of the 21st century buildings, and the people were painstaking poor or in debt. Canton was a town that seemed to be failing.
 
When Faye decided what to do, she parked her convertible in the lot of a jazz café called Giant Steps. It was small on the outside, not too flashy either—it only had a large saxophone cut out to attract costumers—overall it wasn't busy. Only four cars were in the lot and one probably belonged to the owner. Upon entering the bar she was greeted by a young boy who work the café's shirt; on it, his name `Gabe' was embroidered in the cloth. He was holding out a menu and the smile on his face was abnormally wide…somewhat frightening. Faye corked a brow at the young man as she took the menu.
 
“Take a seat, any where you'd please.” The young man said with a lot of enthusiasm and excitement.
 
“This is a Jazz café correct, kid?” Faye asked somewhat sarcastically, the image of jazz cafés in her mind was based on prior ones she had been to. Normally, people were cool, said few words, and called everyone `cat' or some other slang from the 1940's. She didn't give Gabe time to reply before she inserted, “I think I'm just going to sit at the bar, is your tender any good?”
 
“Yes ma'am.” By time he had replied, she was half way there. At the bar, there were the usual suspects. The man who came to watch all the performances, the jazz café's former musician turned drunk, the sad disgruntled man after an argument with his wife, and the mysterious man in a black suit with a suitcase perched by his side. She ended up taking the seat by the mysterious black suited man and the disgruntled husband. Each of the men were a seat apart from her on both sides. Once she settled herself, she raised her finger to get the tender's attention. He approached her wiping a glass in his hands; he was an older man and obviously the owner of the café.
 
Time had passed slowly, she was there for about an hour even though it felt more like an entire day. During this time, a small trio had begun playing the various jazz standards along with some more contemporary material. A few of the other men there had left—the disgruntled man, and town drunk. All the extra time just gave her more time to think of what Spike had done to her. Her mind rushed over the events that happened before his death…Julia…Vicious…Jet and the gang…Spike. She was left in deep thought as she started at the swirling contents of alcohol in her hand.
 
Meanwhile, as she zoned out, the man in the dark suit was approached by a tall, strongly built man. He was wearing an expensive crimson colored shirt and black tie—they weren't neatly worn by him; the tie was slightly undone and he had unbuttoned the top buttons along the collar and his sleeves were also rolled up to his elbows—his hair was cut short and a scruffy beard had collected on his face. “Your late,” the man in black said before continuing, “Yet, shouldn't I expect that from you now?”
 
“Yeah, I got kinda caught up in sleeping. Last night was tough.” The man said nonchalantly as he took the seat in between Faye and the black suited man. His eyes glanced at Faye before he turned his back to her to look at the man in black. He wouldn't forget her face until he'd had enough. “So,” he continued, “You got everything? Even the extra bit?” The man lifted the suitcase onto the bar, pulled out a key to open the lock, and then opened it slightly before sliding it to the man in crimson. The man in crimson handed him a paper then placed his hands on the suitcase to open it enough to count the contents. The other man left the café and their exchange was done. Faye didn't notice a thing of it; she only noticed that another man was sitting by her.
 
“Hey Huxley…when do you want your cut?” The man said as he locked the suitcase and put the key in his pocket. The bartender, Huxley, looked at the man and smiled softly, “As soon as you can get over here after you get the money, Wolfe.”
 
“Good, and it won't take too long.” Wolfe grinned as he turned himself to face the bar. Shrugging slightly, he pointed at Faye and asked, “Have you ever seen her around here before?”
 
“Nope, I can't say that I have.” Huxley responded with his eyes shifting over to Faye who now stared at Wolfe's finger pointing at her. The look on Faye's face was blank and confused.
 
“What the hell are you pointing at me for?” Faye asked as kindly as possible for herself, she was already drained from thinking about Spike. Wolfe turned his head slightly to look at her and a smile appeared on his face. “Hello there, bird.” He greeted.
 
“Bird?” Faye said perplexed, her brows lowered at the man. She thought he was sort of weird at first, and then she thought of it as an insult. “Wait, are you saying I look like a bird?”
 
A low chuckle came from Wolfe as she said that. “No, you're obviously not from around here and you don't look as if you been living anywhere for a long time. You look like you've been traveling…a bag lady.” Seeing that anger was slowly building up in her, Wolfe held his hand out and said, “I'm Wolfe, Jonas Wolfe.”
 
Her eyes traveled from his hand to his face again; he was an attractive man but he was oddly different from the men of her past. He reminded her of Vincent more than anyone else because of the facial hair and sullen gray eyes. Taking his hand in hers lightly she shook it saying, “Faye.” She finished her words with a coy smile; he'd be a good enough lay.