Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Monday Morning ❯ Hold Onto Me, Never Let Me Go... ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Monday Morning: Epilogue
Hold Onto Me, Never Let Me Go
 
 
Jack woke up with a start. The room was dark around him, feeble light coming in through the window from the streetlamps down below. He was breathing hard, and he lifted his hand to his forehead and discovered that he was sweating. Laying back down on his pillow, disoriented, he tried to figure out why his heart was pounding against his chest.
He'd been dreaming…there was the bridge, the videos…
Suddenly, almost violently, he took the blanket that covered him and tossed them to the side, and leaned over the side of the bed, groping around blindly in the darkness.
Minutes ticked by as his hand blindly patted around on the carpet underneath the bed, but he continued to feel the bareness until he was quite sure…there were no videotapes under there.
He rolled back onto his pillow, and stared at the ceiling, his dream still haunting him. How much of it had been real?
All of a sudden, there was movement beside him, and a small hand moved to hug him around his waist. A cheek pressed against his shoulder, and a sleepy voice whispered out into the air.
“What's the matter love?”
Jack turned his head, and his heart leapt with joy. There, blinking sleepily at him in the half-light, was Meg, his Meg, alive, well, and healthy. And real. He couldn't be imagining the warmth of her skin against his now.
So…it had all been a dream. Just a dream.
But it had been so terrifyingly real…
Wrapping his arms securely around her, Jack hugged her tightly, and smothered her with kisses, not believing that it had all just been the most horrible nightmare he'd ever had.
 
Been far away for far too long…
 
When she could finally get a word in edgewise, Meg laughed gently. “What on earth has gotten into you?” She kissed him lightly.
His reply was simply to hold her closer to him. “Nothin'…jus'…just a dream I had. Only a nightmare love.”
She snuggled up against him. “Well, you big silly pirate, it's over now, so you can stop worrying.”
Meg seemed about ready to fall asleep again, her head tucked against his shoulder, when he remembered something, and got a sudden idea. Taking her by the shoulders, he lifted her up.
“Listen love, I don't think I can get back te sleep…c'mon.” He sat up and got out of bed, pulling on a shirt.
Groggily, her hair pulled messily over one shoulder, she watched him in the semi-darkness. “What're you doing?”
He took her hand. “C'mon. We're gonna make cookies.”
“We're gonna do what now?”
“Bake those cookie-things ye always end up burning.”
“But Jack, it's,” she checked the digital clock beside their bed. “Two o'clock in the morning!”
He pulled her out of the bed by her hand. “Exactly. There's nothin' te distract us, so maybe we won't burn `em.”
She laughed, and wrapped her arms around his neck. “You bloody pirate,” she said quietly. “Alright.”
He leaned down and kissed her soundly. And when they did finally go back to bed, falling asleep on the couch beside a plateful of perfectly-made cookies, he discovered that he didn't dream again.
And the world had righted itself.
 
 
So keep breathing, `cause I'm not leaving you anymore…believe it, hold onto me, never let me go…
 
 
I loved you all along…
 
 
[[Song lyrics: Far Away by Nickelback.]]