Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Men ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Having Team Kira VS Dumbledore and Death Eaters seems like a good idea…
Disclaimer: Ohba and Obata own Death Note. J.K. Rowling owns Harry Potter. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me. Don't steal or sue! *Phantomness bows*
Chapter 5
 
“Fifteen years ago, there was a power-hungry wizard by the name of Lord Voldemort. He almost conquered the Magical World. Fortunately, when he attempted to kill a boy named Harry Potter, he was defeated and his followers - these Death Eaters, scattered.”
“I gather that this is no longer the case.” Light said dryly.
Dumbledore sighed. “I am afraid not. As it is, he returned to power last June.”
“And do you know he seems to be hunting us?”
“Well…” Dumbledore considered for a moment. “Voldemort does have a hatred for Muggles - non-magical people. However, I believe your,” He coughed delicately. “Friend there, managed to foil his plans somehow.”
Mikami gave Dumbledore a blank look.
For a fraction of a second, Light's eyes changed to mere slits. “And how did you deduce that?”
“Well, none of the Aurors arrived on scene - oh, I'm sorry, the Aurors are the Magical World's Law Enforcement - until Pettigrew was dead.”
“And you think Mikami had something to do with this?” Light interjected, an astonished expression playing across his face.
“Yes.” Dumbledore said gravely. “I doubt it was intentional, but Mikami is a wizard - or could become one, if properly trained. In Japan, due to their repressed society, it is very possible that magical abilities remain suppressed until much later in life. As he received no training, due to his… status, it is a regrettable oversight.”
“I thought I was a Squib and could not do magic.” Mikami said quietly.
“Yes, well…” Dumbledore coughed. “I suppose we shall observe and see. Perhaps a trip to Ollivander's would prove useful…”
“Look.” Light said. “This is all very entertaining, Dumbledore-san, but frankly, I have a very important murder investigation to clear up in Japan, and…”
“Ah, yes.” The old man had the gall to twinkle at him. “But surely you cannot do your job while being chased by magical murderers! I might remind you that you cannot defend yourselves.”
Light crossed his arms stiffly. “Explain.”
 
“The Death Eaters employ several curses, known as the Unforgivables, in their metholody.” Dumbledore sighed heavily. “The Imperius curse turns the victim into a puppet - essentially mind-controlling them to do whatever the user desires.”
Interesting. Light stored that information away. If he could learn that, it would be a valuable asset to his cause. The Death Note's capabilities in that area were limited.
“The Cruciatus curse causes intense agony and pain, with no discernable signs.” Dumbledore's voice dropped. “And finally, the Killing Curse…”
Mikami watched the man's face intently. For a moment, the man looked old and tired, as his age suggested.
Dumbledore sighed. “The Killing Curse kills its target instantly, and leaves no mark. There is no way to block or survive it.”
 
An instantaneous method of death could also be useful, Light mused. In case he was ever, God forbid, cornered, being able to take out his opponents before they could shoot him, well!
He could use that.
But from the way Dumbledore spoke, magic seemed to be genetic. If that were the case, he would have to rely on Mikami to learn these useful so-called curses. And although Mikami's loyalty was absolute, placing so much trust in another individual was not something Light enjoyed.
“These Death Eaters…” Mikami said suddenly. “Do you know their identities?”
“For the most part, yet.” Dumbledore sighed heavily. “But thus far they have eluded capture. Therefore, I am afraid you shall remain in our custody until the threat is dealt with.”
There was a silence, before Dumbledore spoke again. “Now, is there any information - any at all - that you are withholding? It may very well save a life, and not just yours..”
Mikami glanced at Light for permission. Light shook his head, before he spoke.
“We believe that the Death Eaters are searching for a man named Kira - incidentally, the same man my task force and I are attempting to bring to justice for the murder of countless criminals worldwide.” Light said.
Dumbledore sighed heavily. “Yes… if this Kira joined Voldemort, it would be a dire blow to the Magical World indeed.”
 
“May I ask another question?”
“You may.”
“What is Voldemort's goal? Why are his Death Eaters mobilizing?”
“That, my dear boy,” Here Light bristled again, “Is because he has returned to power. Voldemort revels in chaos, and he believes strongly in blood purity, and the ability to rule.”
“He wants to rule this world?” Light asked, affecting a faked tone.
“Alas, my boy, it is very common that power corrupts. And Voldemort has dabbled deeply in Dark Magic, and gained much power.”
Light pondered this for a moment.
“But why does he want to rule?” Mikami asked. “Is it for a just reason?”
“Just? Good heavens, no! Voldemort is simply a madman who thinks he is God. He wants absolute power, and will stop at nothing to get it. He kills people simply because their blood is not pure enough, and tortures innocents for no reason.”
Hmm.
This was worth noting. Lord Voldemort, then, was a tangible threat to Kira's perfect world.
In fact, his massacring tactics would probably turn people away from his God's righteousness! That could not go on!
“Lord Voldemort… is that his real name?” Light asked. “It does not sound very English.”
“Interesting question.” Dumbledore ate another lemon drop. “It is the name he has chosen for himself, but I am afraid I cannot disclose his true name. Confidential, you know.”
Light responded with his most charming smile, causing a frisson of fear to go down the wizard's spine.
This was not normal.
He almost got the same sense from this boy as he did from Voldemort, but it was far from intense. It was almost negligible, almost nonexistent. If not for long experience that told him to trust his instincts, well…
“I would advise you, however, not to seek him out. It would be suicidal and reckless.” Dumbledore finished. “For the time being, you should stay here. It is safe. And I am sure we will take care of this problem with Voldemort soon.”
Light looked at Mikami, before nodding. “Very well. Seeing as we have nothing else to do, and I doubt we can leave, we will accept your offer.” He paused. “Have you newspapers and books in this Wizarding World of yours?”
“Oh! Of course, I could bring you some texts to explain in more detail.” Dumbledore said, quite relieved at the mundane request.
“Now then,” He said, standing, “We've been standing on ceremony quite long enough. Some food?”
Seeing no harm in it, Light and Mikami followed him down to the kitchen.
 
End Chapter
Completed 7/12/07
… Yeah, there's probably Veritaserum in some of the food… but of course, that is up for interpretation.
Mikami's being pretty quiet, but I think he'd let Light take the lead.