Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Men ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Ohba and Obata own Death Note. J.K. Rowling owns Harry Potter. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me. Don't steal or sue! *Phantomness bows*
Thanks to those who bothered to review! I really appreciate it! ^^
 
Chapter 8
 
The news was buzzing all over Hogwarts the next morning. Some people were delighted, while others from the Slytherin side were subdued and even afraid. For so many known - and escaped - Death Eaters to have dropped dead without a cause…
It was wonderful, wasn't it?
Draco was sullen. His father had been one of the dead, and now, whatever else the man might had been, he had still been his father…
What was he to do now?
 
Hermione was a frazzled mass of nerves. When Harry and Ron asked her what was wrong, she looked at them as though they were insane.
“Haven't you heard of Kira, Harry?” She hissed.
“Who?”
She looked ready to smack him. “I know you might not pay much attention to muggle events now, but I do! These few years, there's been a mass murderer named Kira on the loose! He kills people using heart attacks, and no one has been able to identify him yet. Does that ring any bells?”
“Heart attacks?” Ron asked cluelessly.
Harry frowned. “But…”
“Exactly! That's exactly how all those escaped Death Eaters died!”
“Do you think Kira has an ally in the magical world then?”
“Worse.” Her lips were pressed together in a thin, grim line. “I believe that Kira is in the Magical World now.”
Both of the boys went pale.
 
“Harry, we might be in danger.” She said worriedly. “Everyone knows that you're the Boy-Who-Lived…”
“Oh, come off it.” Ron said companionably. “Why would he target Harry? If Kira kills Death Eaters, isn't he on our side?”
The bushy-haired bitch glared at him, but said nothing more.
Harry gnawed his lip slowly, his appetite gone. He pushed the toast away from him, glancing at his schedule. Divination first. Joy.
Would it really be so bad if he skived off?
Maybe Madame Pince would have some Muggle newspapers.
He had a bad, bad feeling about Kira…
 
Snape was not in a good mood when the Headmaster abruptly summoned him, causing him to drop an extra pinch of ground fire crab claw into the delicate potion he had been preparing. The man growled and Flooed up to the man's office.
“Severus, you have heard the news I take it?”
“About how many of my loyal compatriots have dropped dead in seconds? Yes.” He was seething.
Voldemort would not be pleased. He had not yet summoned him, but no doubt he would soon.
The Potions Master did not wish to face his wrath. How many had survived?
 
Dumbledore wordlessly passed the casualties list over to his spy. Onyx eyes widened in surprise, as Snape sucked in a slow breath.
“Heart Attacks?”
“Yes.” The man's eyes were hard, not a twinkle in sight. “Our new guests at Grimmaud Place?”
“You're saying they had something to do with this?”
“He admitted as such. Yagami Light - is Kira.”
It was almost inconceivable! That charismatic pretty-boy was the mass murderer the Dark Lord had hoped to sway to his side?
Then again, Lucius had been living proof of how slippery man could be. Nonetheless, such power…
 
“You wish for me to eliminate him, Headmaster?”
“No.” Dumbledore's sigh was weary. “But perhaps it is time to take him along the hunt to destroy the Horcruxes.”
“But Headmaster!”
“Severus, I do not ask this of you lightly. They are… strange.”
Snape bit back a bitter comment. If the Headmaster had not been too pure to Avada Kedavra the duo when they had become a threat, it was his fault for being so trusting!
Then again… The power that the Dark Lord knows not…
Who knew?
The power to kill at a distance was a formidable one indeed. Avada Kedavra, at least required interaction face to face…
He left the tower in a swirl of dark robes, his mind mulling over the new information. Perhaps if some accident befell them on the Horcrux hunt…
 
Light stroked Mikami's messy hair as he watched the prosecutor. Sirius Black was huddled in a chair nearby, looking determinedly at the heavy tome in his lap and trying to ignore the two.
Truth be told, while he was not against their relationship, he wished they wouldn't be affectionate. They were men!
But…
 
Red eyes widened slightly as his Lord kissed him. Even if this was a charade, for the sake of the Wizards, he still ached for that touch.
Light idly let his thoughts wander to the new curses he had discovered in one of the more malevolent books in the library. Although Dumbledore had mentioned them before, he had not taught them the incantation.
Wily old man, but they were resourceful.
 
The Imperius Curse could bend the user to the caster's will, though it could be thrown off. That would be useful - it far surpassed the limitations of the Death Note. He had attempted to use it on Mikami, but alas, the man already obeyed his whim so such a thing would be pointless.
The Cruciatus Curse apparently caused indescribable agony. He was not fond of torture, but he filed it away for future reference. Testing on a mouse had proved inconclusive. Mikami had made the animal seize and twitch, but no light had issued from his wand.
He was not happy with this state of affairs.
And then there was Avada Kedavra…
They had both attempted it, but the mouse had only shivered when green sparks had shot from his wand. Perhaps the will to kill had to be stronger
He would have to practice.
But if magic was inborn…
He sighed.
 
End Chapter
Started 8/21/07
Completed 12/1/07
I know this has been on hiatus for a long time, but I'm a busy biology major! Sorry!
To those who guessed how Dumbledore knew Light was Kira, he just pretty much read his mind. Light didn't have the eyes…