D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Who is the Greatest Thief? ❯ So Much For Secret Identities ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Who is the Greatest Thief?
 
Chapter 3—So Much for Secret Identities
 
This chapter is dedicated to kyo's little koneko for their reviews—you are totally right, three against one isn't fair. . .but that doesn't mean it's not fun!!
 
Note:::
 
`. . .' is Daisuke speaking to Dark
 
:. . .: is Dark speaking to Daisuke
 
---
 
Daisuke's day began like any other day—with him wondering just why he was friends with Takeshi Saehara.
 
“Dark will pay for this,” Takeshi cried, striking a dramatic pose with clenched fists. Daisuke could practically see the flames of determination crackling behind him.
 
“Maybe you should chill out, Takeshi,” Daisuke suggested soothingly. “Maybe Dark's not to blame.” He instantly regretted saying this as his friend turned on him.
 
“What are you talking about, don't blame Dark? Who else could be to blame?” Takeshi loomed over Daisuke, suspicion plain on his features. “What do you know?”
 
“Ah—” Daisuke fumbled for an excuse. “All I'm saying is that Dark doesn't hurt people, he just. . .steals stuff.” Thankfully Dark was sleeping in Daisuke's mind, and didn't hear that.
 
Takeshi continued to stare at him, then noticed Masahiro sneaking past. “Hey, Masahiro! Did you hear? My dad was attacked last night by Dark, and—”
 
Sorry, Masahiro, Daisuke thought, running into the school to escape his maniacal friend. I'll owe you one. Taking a few deep breathes in front of his locker, he got the books he needed and started to head for homeroom.
 
Just before he turned the corner, he heard the voices of the new girls. He stopped as Ginryu said, “…can't believe how easy it was to steal the Vial of Venus. And right under Dark's nose!”
 
“That's the fifteenth time you've said that since last night,” Korazuma's voice said with an annoyed undertone. “I've been counting.”
 
“Whatever,” Ginryu said cheerfully. “This is going to fun—Ai-chan, you've sent the e-mail, right?”
 
Daisuke heard Aiko grumble incoherently before saying, “Yes, I have. The e-mail is set to open five minutes before we hit the museum. Just one question, though, Akkiko.” Daisuke almost dropped his bookbag. No. . .way.
 
“Ye-es?” Ginryu said in a sing-song voice.
 
“Why is it we have to be so flashy? I mean, sending warning notes? Or in our case, e-mails? Since when do we need the publicity?”
 
“Because—have you heard Takeshi? Our little act last night was blamed on Dark. Credit should go where credit is due.”
 
“I still say we should be more cautious,” Korazuma said quietly.
 
“You need to be more adventurous, Kora-chan!” Ginryu laughed. “I know we're in Japan on business—but let's have some fun with our work.”
 
“I didn't think being a thief included `fun-ness'.” Korazuma sighed. Daisuke heard papers rustling. “Although from what I've read, Dark certainly has his fun. You two are made for each other, Gin.” Ginryu laughed again.
 
Daisuke leaned against the wall, stunned. Korazuma, Aiko and Ginryu were the three thieves Dark had met last night. Then again, maybe he should have seen it coming—three new girls show up, three thieves show up. . .
 
“Not too hard to figure out, is it?” said a quiet voice to his left. Daisuke jumped as he looked up to find Satoshi standing beside him, also listening. The youth looked down at Daisuke, adjusting his glasses. “You'd think they'd be a little more cautious, to talk about their escapades in the school hallways, hmm?”
 
“I—”
 
“Just so you are aware, Daisuke, despite the three recent problems that have arisen, I will not be deviating from my previous goal.” He fixed Daisuke with a penetrating stare. “So you should not let your guard down. You. . .and you.” With that, Satoshi moved past his classmate, and turned the corner.
 
Korazuma looked up from the newspaper she was scanning to watch Satoshi pass. “Excuse me, Hiwatari-kun?” She hurriedly tossed the paper to Aiko, and jogged after her classmate. “I just wanted to thank-you for what you did yesterday.”
 
Satoshi stared at her for a few moments before nodding. “No problem, Miss Shido.” He leaned a little closer to her, and said in a softer tone, “In return I would appreciate it if you refrained from using such methods to keep me from apprehending you, should our paths ever cross again.”
 
Korazuma barely kept herself from reacting to the youth's words as he turned away. She went back to Aiko and Ginryu, expression blank.
 
“He knows.”
 
---
 
:They're WHAT??:
 
Daisuke cringed as Dark's cries of outrage echoed through his psychosis. `You heard me, Dark,' he said. He glanced up at Ginryu and Aiko, then over to Korazuma, who was doodling again. His eyes travelled past her to stare at Satoshi. `Korazuma, Aiko and Ginryu are the thieves from last night. . .and Satoshi knows about them, too.'
 
:Hmph. And there's no way he's cutting us any breaks,: Dark grumbled. :Bastard.:
 
Daisuke sighed, closing his eyes as he cradled his chin in his hands.
 
“. . .wa-kun? Niwa-kun?” Daisuke blinked. “Earth to Niwa-kun,” Korazuma said, poking him. “The bell just rang.”
 
“Ah! Oh, um—Ack!” Daisuke knocked his notebook onto the floor. Korazuma picked it up.
 
“Are you okay?” she asked. “You were just sitting there looking spaced out.”
 
“Oh, I'm just fine, thanks,” Daisuke answered, laughing as he stuffed his books into his bag. “I'm, er, always zoning out like that.”
 
“Kora-chan, c'mon!” Ginryu called from the door, standing with Aiko. Satoshi passed them at that moment, and they tracked his movement with slight hostility. Daisuke glanced at Korazuma; she had a worried glint on her otherwise blank face.
 
“See you later, Niwa-kun,” Korazuma said, smiling at him as she hurried towards her friends.
 
“Uh. . .yeah,” Daisuke said, belatedly waving his hand. `That was smooth,' he thought as he headed to his next class. `And I thought my life was complicated yesterday.'
 
:Yeah, well—quit whining and do something about it.: Dark said.
 
`And what do you expect me to—'
 
“Oy, Niwa!” A senior approached him. “I'm Watari, the student president of the yearbook committee. Could you help me for a minute?”
 
“Sure.” Daisuke followed Watari to the next classroom. Watari waved at a series of photos on the desk.
 
“These are pictures from the White Day festival. We need some names—these girls are in your class, right?”
 
Daisuke picked it up, and his heart jerked. Ritsuko Furuda was yelling at the camera—Takeshi must have taken the picture. But behind her—
 
Risa Harada was smiling brightly, already in her White Day dress. She was beautiful. And beside her was Riku—still in street clothes, hair messily tied back, and smiling in that soft, quiet way that she always did. . . Daisuke felt a blush rise in his face. . .
 
Dark started laughing. Daisuke started panicking.
 
“Ah, sorry, Watari-sempai!!” he blurted, dropping the picture and turning. “I just remembered something—gotta go!!” And with that, he ran like the dogs of Hell where after him.
 
`I'm going to transform!!' he thought. Break was almost over, but the halls were still full enough that he frantically sought a place to hide.
 
:Daisuke, the washroom!: Dark said. He crashed through the door, gasping. That was when he noticed the pink walls.
 
“Dark! This is the girls' room!!” he cried. But alas, it was too late.
 
“Oops,” Dark said a second later. But he noticed that the door had not closed, and someone had just come in.
 
He turned to see Ginryu Uujou staring at him.
 
---
 
A message to Akkiko: Turnabout is fair play. XD Now update House of Twilight!!!
 
To everyone else: Sorry this took so long to update. I just needed the right incentive (glares at Akkiko). In this case, no updating of her stories until I update this. ::sigh:: Of course, since I've haven't written this for so long, this chapter is really just filler ^^; Next chapter will have more action, I promise!! Thanx, peeps!
 
Disclaimer: D.N.Angel and all its characters are copyright to Yukiru Sugisaki. Korazuma, Aiko and Ginryu belong to their respective users.