Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

,Chapter 2
 
A/N - Yes, I decided to continue it.. I started the one shot hoping it was good enough to continue anyway, so..yeah! Well, anyway.. about this whole thing.. just a warning.. Light is not like he was in the anime.. like he won't burst out into a random fit of laughter or anything like that.. I did that kinda on purpose.. I wanted to stay close to what his personality was, but change it slightly. So, as you read this you'll come to know a new (kinda love-sick) Light… Anyway, sorry about that.. Enjoy! And please review! I'll give you a cookie! *holds cookie up* (oh L will quite possibly change too.. ^_^ that's just what I do…)
A/N 2: there's a particular sentence in here that confused even me a-little. So, just a warning. Pay attention to whether the word “light” is capitalized or not. If you don't it'll confuse you later..
 
 
With a sigh of exhaustion Light plopped down in the leather cushioned booth across from his former opponent. “Well, Ryuuzaki, that's the second game you've lost,” he said leaning forward, his hands resting on the cold wooden table. “I'm beginning to think you've let me win.”
 
Ryuuzaki shifted his feet and gave Light a half-smile raising a hand to attract a waiter. “I've never let anyone win,” he said letting his hand fall to the table as the closest waiter motioned for a second. “But,” he began drumming his fingers against the hard table top, “if I was to let someone win,” he paused taking the bowl of butter capsules from the end of the table, “it would be you.” He took the capsules from the bowl and stacked them into a pyramid shape.
 
Light let out a slight laugh and smiled, “You have a strange obsession,” he said taking the capsule from the top of the pyramid, “You waste time doing this.” He placed the capsule on the table and held his hand over it keeping it from Ryuuzaki. Giving a mischievous smirk he took it from the table and set it beside him on the seat.
 
“Light-kun,” Ryuuzaki said staring still at the place where the capsule had been, “That was something Kira would do.” Slowly, he raised his eyes and stared into Light's eyes, “And this is not a waste of time,” he said taking the capsules one by one and placing them in a straight line on the table, “it's actually very amusing.” Obviously distracted from his work he looked up at Light once more, “Speaking of which, did you leave Misa-san alone at Headquarters?”
 
“Shit,” Light thought silently shifting in the seat. He had forgotten about Misa; this whole time she had not crossed his mind. “Misa,” he thought, “She's in the way.” Suddenly, thoughts began swarming like angry bees in his mind. Rem was still at Headquarters and tomorrow was to be the day that Ryuuzaki died. Light shifted uncomfortably; he couldn't hurt Misa either or else Rem would automatically blame him for her unhappiness and kill him.
 
Silently Light thought on what he remembered from the future and bit his lip unconsciously. There was so much he had to change; so many mistakes he had made. “If only this had happened sooner,” Light whispered unconsciously, as soon as the words escaped his lips he covered his mouth and glanced up at Ryuuzaki who stared back.
 
“If what had happened sooner, Light-kun?” he asked dropping a capsule of butter to the floor.
 
Light took a deep breath; how could he respond? It would sound crazy if he said, `Ryuuzaki, you died, and I was miserable without you so time went backwards.' Taking another breath he closed his eyes considering what he would say, “Nothing, Ryuuzaki, something just came up and I was thinking aloud.” Once he had finished he inwardly scolded himself; that response sounded worse coming from his lips than it had in his mind. He looked across at Ryuuzaki; he didn't seem convinced either.
 
Ryuuzaki averted his attention back to the capsules lying in a straight line in front of him. He moved them across the table slowly creating a pattern that seemed to mean nothing. As he began to move the final capsule a man dressed in a red vest and black pants took slow steps up to the table.
 
“Excuse me,” he said causing the two boys to turn to him slowly, “My name's Sora; what can I get you?” He reached into the pocket of his pants and took out a small notebook before taking a pencil from behind his ear.
 
With a quick glance at Light Ryuuzaki responded, “I'd like some shortcake and a cup of coffee,” he said turning to Light slowly. “Please, get him the same thing, but with a cup of water instead,” Ryuuzaki said hesitantly as he turned back to the pattern of butter capsules on the table.
 
“Oh,” the boy chuckled scribbling words onto the notepad, “You two are pretty cute together,” he said shoving the notepad into his pocket slowly. “You on a date?” he asked stepping slightly away from the table as the two boys threw him awkward glances. He bit his lip and smiled slightly, “Sorry,” he said taking quick steps away from the table.
 
The two boys sat in silence as Ryuuzaki sat back in the seat. Light glanced over him and looked down at the pattern he had created with the capsules. Holding in a gasp he whispered, “My name?” Looking closely at the pattern he could see the spaces in the center seemed to spell out “Light”. Light shook his head, why would Ryuuzaki purposefully create a pattern that spelled his name?
 
Ryuuzaki glanced up at him and nodded, “You really are amazing,” he looked over the pattern again and smiled, “I was trying to hide it; I'm not surprised you found it though.” His face darkened for a moment as he turned away from Light and frowned solemnly, “But-,” he whispered.
 
Light held his breath; so, Ryuuzaki had his doubts too. Maybe they had the same doubts; there were so many things in their way: Misa, Rem, the Death Note, Ryuk, and most of all Kira. Ryuuzaki's suspicion of Light had been correct from the beginning. If Ryuuzaki realized that his suspicions had been right there would be no us or we; it would always be L versus Kira like it always had been.
 
Slowly light came over Ryuuzaki's face, and he leaned forward slightly placing his hands on his knees, “Don't worry about it, Light-kun, soon I'll be able to find the second Kira. Once I've found the other Death Note this will be over. Because, according to my calculations there are only two notebooks. Once we've found them both and either returned them to the Shingamis or burned them no one will have to worry about it again.”
 
“Ryuuzaki,” Light said softly hoping no one would overhear. Ryuuzaki turned to him and blinked waiting for a response, “Do you still suspect me of being Kira? Do you still suspect Misa of being the second Kira?”
 
Ryuuzaki blinked and slowly lowered his eyes to the table, “Right now it's hard to be certain,” he said tightening his grip on his knees. “I'm not proud to admit it, but my emotions are clouding my judgment, and this isn't something that happens to me often.” He glanced at Light again, “As for Misa-san, as I've said before, it's extremely obvious that she's the second Kira, but as of now there's nothing I can do about it.”
 
“Then, when will you be certain, Ryuuzaki?” Light asked leaning forward slightly as the couple seated in the booth by theirs gave them eerie looks. “When will you know if I'm Kira or not?”
 
“Who knows,” Ryuuzaki said leaning back away from Light, “maybe I'll never know for sure.” He gave Light a smile that sent shivers down his spine. “Besides, now the possibility of you being Kira is,” he hesitated, “one percent if not less.”
 
Nearly paralyzed with shock Light nodded simply and turned as the same boy stepped up to the table and placed two white cups as well as two small plates holding two identical pieces of cake and decorated around the rim with small painted flowers. “There you go,” the boy said stepping away and giving both of them a wide smile, “sorry for the wait.”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded, “Thank you,” he said as the boy took slow steps away from the table.
 
Taking a fork from the side of the table Ryuuzaki pulled the plate closer and plunged the fork through it. He took off a small piece of the cake with the fork and lifted it to his lips, but before taking a bite he turned to Light slightly and blinked, “Light-kun,” he said attracting Light's attention, “are you alright?”
 
Light nodded, “I'm fine, Ryuuzaki,” he said giving him a slight smile, “I was just thinking over a few things.” He took the remaining plate and pushed it toward Ryuuzaki, “Here, I'm not going to eat this. You can have it.” He took the cup of clear liquid from the end of the table and lifted it to his lips, “What are we going to do, Ryuuzaki?” he thought silently taking a sip from the cup. So far, this was one of the few questions he longed to ask Ryuuzaki out loud, but what good would that do? Light shook his head; it would hurt no matter what he did.
 
“Light.”
 
His head jerked up and his eyes grew wide; Ryuuzaki had just called him by his name, not Light-kun or Yagami-kun, but Light. Light breathed deeply seeing the concern written on Ryuuzaki's face.
 
Ryuuzaki placed the fork next to the plate and leaned forward placing his hand on Light's forehead, “Hmmmm,” he hummed shifting to look into Light's eyes, “you don't seem to be sick; do you feel alright?” he asked pulling away and sitting back in the seat.
 
Light nodded unsure of how to respond, “I'm fine, Ryuuzaki,” he whispered sipping the water from the cold cup, “I was just thinking.”
 
“Then think aloud,” Ryuuzaki said through a mouthful of soft yellow cake. After swallowing a mouthful he glanced at Light and said, “It doesn't matter what you're thinking about; it helps to clarify your thoughts if you vocalize them, especially if you have another person to listen to you.” Slowly, he opened his mouth and shoved the piece of cake into his mouth closing his lips around it, “So, think.”
 
Light blinked still holding the cup close to his lips, “I can't,” he said lowering the cup to the tabletop. “Now that you've said something about it I can't think of anything.” He smiled awkwardly and sat back in the seat watching closely as Ryuuzaki finished the cake and pushed the plate away from himself.
Before making another move he turned to Light, “Are you positive you don't want his?” he asked taking the plate that held the final piece of cake. “I can give you half, or if you want it I'll give it to you.” He picked up the plate and held it in Light's direction, “Here.”
 
Light shook his head and held a hand out in front of him, “No, no Ryuuzaki, I don't want it,” he said knocking the nearly full cup of coffee over the table. He stood up quickly bumping his knee on the tabletop, “Ouch,” he gasped crouching in the seat as the hot liquid spilled over the side of the tabletop into his lap.
 
A man dressed in the same uniform as their waiter came from a back room carrying an armful of towels. He placed half of them on the seat next to Light and used the others to clean the table thoroughly. “There,” he sighed once the table had been completely cleaned off. He turned toward Light and smiled, “You can use the other towels to dry off; if you'd like a change of clothes one of our employees are home sick today and his uniform's still here.”
 
Light nodded awkwardly sliding out of the booth. He stepped forward and felt his face burn crimson as his shoes made a loud sound. He turned feeling a hand on his back.
 
“It's alright, Light-kun,” Ryuuzaki whispered leading him through the somewhat crowded diner. They reached the door marked with a “restroom” sign, and Ryuuzaki pulled Light into the small bright room.
 
The bright light reflected off of the white tiled walls and floors. Ryuuzaki dropped the clean white towels to the floor, “Were you embarrassed?” he asked picking up one of the towels, “I'm sorry, it was my fault.” He turned the knob on the side of the facet and held the corner of the towel under the running water until it had turned nearly grey damp with water. He wrung it out and placed it on the clean white counter before taking a step closer to Light, “Do you want to take off your shirt? It's stained.”
 
Light looked down at the pure white shirt soiled by a large brown stain taking up nearly half of the shirt. He sight and shook his head, “No,” he said backing against the wall, “I'd rather not.”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded taking the wet towel from the counter and holding it out to Light, “Here,” he said loosening his grip on the towel, “at least try to wash it out.” He smiled as Light took the towel and slowly moved it over the stain.
 
Giving a sigh Light threw the brown stained towel into the sink and turned to Ryuuzaki, “Should we go back out? Do you think people will remember what happened?”
 
Letting out a loud laugh Ryuuzaki picked up the towels on the floor, “Of course they'll remember, but what does it matter? Do you honestly care what they think? None of them will every see you again, and tomorrow morning they won't even remember what happened. They'll have more important things to do than think about the guy who spilled coffee.” He took a step closer to Light and continued, “In fact,” he said placing a hand close to Light's cheek, “I thought it was cute.”
 
Light took a breath and pulled away as Ryuuzaki leaned closer. “I- I-,” he gasped breathing deeply, “I'm sorry, Ryuuzaki, it's just-.”
 
“I know,” Ryuuzaki said taking the towels he had placed on the counter into his arms, “Let's just pay and get back to headquarters. Your father should be there soon.” He took slow steps to the door and pushed it open before glancing back at Light and walking through the door to the table slowly.
 
Light stood outside the door watching as Ryuuzaki gave the towels back to one of the waiters, paid them for the meal, and thanked them for their help. “I'm so sorry,” Light thought silently, “I don't know why, but I don't want to show any kind of emotion until this is over. I want you and me to be together when things are better; when Kira's whole memory is forgotten, and the case is over. When life is back to how it should be; that's when I'll show you how much I really love you. That's when we'll be together.”
 
He hesitated as Ryuuzaki took slow steps toward him a small box held in his hands, but followed as Ryuuzaki led him through the restaurant and out into the bright afternoon sun. Glancing at Ryuuzaki Light frowned; the shimmer that had been in his eyes since that morning was gone. “Ryuuzaki,” he thought silently, “I don't mean to hurt you, but it'll only hurt more if we do something too soon.” He glanced at Ryuuzaki again and sighed, “And even I don't know how long we'll have to wait. All I know is, someday we'll be together; someday I'll really be your best friend. Someday soon, and that's a promise.”
 
 
 
 
So? What do you think? Was it good, bad, terrible? Be completely honest! ^_^ Thanks!