Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
 
A/N- a number in parentheses, (#), means that there's a footnote at the end of the chapter about it.
 
 
“Light!” The girl yelled throwing her arms around his neck, “Misa missed you so much!” She kissed his cheek and lowered herself to the floor slowly turning to the boy behind her, “Oh, and you too Ryuuzaki.” She turned back to Light and smiled brightly, “Where did you go, Light? You were gone so long; Misa was so worried. Even Light's dad didn't know where he was.”
 
“Misa,” Light groaned pulling away from her slightly, “today hasn't gone so well. It would be better if you didn't get involved.” He sat on the sofa slowly and glanced at Ryuuzaki. They had walked back in silence standing always a few feet away from one another. The gleam in Ryuuzaki's eyes had not returned since that moment in the restaurant.
 
Misa gasped and turned to Ryuuzaki, “Ryuuzaki,” she said stepping toward him, “What did you do to Light?” She placed her hands on her hips awaiting his response.
 
“Ah, Misa-san, something just happened that made Light-kun angry. We went to a restaurant, and he spilled my coffee,” Ryuuzaki replied pointing to Light's stained shirt, “he was afraid that people would remember what happened.”
 
With a sigh of slight relief Misa plopped down next Light and wrapped her arms around his neck, “Oh, Light, that's no reason to be so embarrassed. Misa will always love Light no matter what he does.” She gave him a bright smiled and pulled close to him.
 
“That's a lie,” Light told himself staring in Ryuuzaki's direction, “because she can't really love me unless I love her.” Taking a deep breath Light responded, “Misa,” he said in a voice that seemed to convey the feelings of frustration he had felt towards her for so long, “why don't you go out somewhere?”
 
Misa pulled away from Light and turned to look up at him, “Light, why? Misa's your girlfriend; you know, you can't just tell her to leave all the time. If we're always apart how will we have dates and get engaged?”
 
Light's eyes grew wide and he turned toward her slowly, “Misa,” he said once again, “Please, I'm not saying I want you to leave forever, but I just want to be alone right now. I'm not feeling so well at the moment, and I'd like to be alone.” He raised his hand and placed it on his forehead; he was beginning to remember why he had gotten headaches every day.
 
He turned to Ryuuzaki who had seated himself in the small crimson chair by the sofa. The open white box he had brought from the restaurant rested on his knees holding the left over piece of cake. Ryuuzaki didn't look back instead he stared down at the perfect piece of cake.
 
“Awwww,” Misa groaned standing from the sofa reluctantly, “If Light is sick we should call a doctor. Misa would hate it if Light died because he got too sick.” She stepped away and turned to Ryuuzaki before pouting her lips, “Ryuuzaki,” she said changing her voice to its most aggravating tone, “how can you sit there when Light is feeling sick? Ryuuzaki should be the one calling a doctor for Light.”
 
Ryuuzaki didn't look up; he seemed almost mesmerized by what was in the box. Light turned to Misa knowing that Ryuuzaki was not in the mood to comply. “Misa,” he said as softly as possible, “why don't you just go on. We can go on a date later.”
 
Misa's eyes grew wide and she smiled brightly, “Ok,” she nearly sung as she skipped through the room and opened the door, “Misa will see Light later; then Misa and Light will have the best date ever without Ryuuzaki.” She left the room slowly and closed the door behind her.
 
Light sat in silence staring at the now closed door. Slowly he turned to Ryuuzaki, but his expression did not change. He bit his lip as Ryuuzaki shifted but seemingly refused to look back at Light. “So this is the punishment for saying no.” Light thought to himself, “You're cruel.
 
Slowly Ryuuzaki closed the box and set it beside the chair on the floor. He moved his legs and placed his feet on the floor, “I'll leave to, Light-kun, your father says he found something new about the Kira case, and Matsuda's being his usual jackass self.” He took a step away from the chair and picked up the white box.
 
“Ryuuzaki,” Light said slowly. Now, it was his turn to call out Ryuuzaki's name, “I'm sorry about what I did. There are reasons as to why I do things, but I guess my reasons are hard to understand.” He placed his feet on the floor and stood slowly, “But that doesn't mean you have to ignore me. Do we have to be enemies from now on just because of that one thing? Does it have to be L versus the Kira suspect again?”
 
Ryuuzaki didn't respond; he took another step closer to the door and glanced over his shoulder at Light, “You're not a Kira suspect, Light-kun,” he said slowly turning away, “You are Kira.” With that he walked to the door and opened it slowly.
 
Light was unable to move. “You are Kira?” he thought silently, “Where did, `the chances of you being Kira is 1% or less' go?” He watched silently as Ryuuzaki left the room closing the door behind him, “Ryuuzaki,” he said aloud standing from the sofa, “did I hurt you that badly?”
 
He turned slowly to the chair in which Ryuuzaki had sat and let his mouth open slightly. One of the capsules of butter from the restaurant sat in the center of the cushion. Light took a step toward it and picked up the small object placing it in the palm of his hand, “You can't stay angry forever, Ryuuzaki; I won't let you.” He said taking slow steps to the door.
 
Now, he knew how much harder it was to make a dream a reality. It had been so much easier to remember and dream about Ryuuzaki; not having to deal with the obstacles in the way. Now that he was trying to live out the dream the obstacles were growing larger and harder to defeat.
 
Light took a breath and stepped through the door he had opened, “Father found something new about the Kira case,” he said softly, “I wonder what he could have found.” Taking quick steps down the hallway Light thought to himself about what he could possibly do now. Most people believed that Kira had been caught. Rem had still been told that to kill Ryuuzaki was the only way to save Misa. There was no undoing what he had done. There was no way of erasing the past.
 
Taking a breath as he entered the large main room he gave his father a smile as he turned away from the large computer screen. “Light,” his father said pointing to the empty chair by Ryuuzaki's, “I was just about to show Ryuuzaki what Aizawa and I found.”
 
“That's alright, father,” he said letting out a slight laugh, “It's getting late; it's going to be dark in around two hours. So, I'll just let you tell me about it tomorrow.” He smiled and took a step backwards.
 
Aizawa raised a hand towards Light and frowned, “Light-kun,” he said stepping forward, “this is far too much work to show twice. Please, come so we can show it to both you and Ryuuzaki at once.”
 
Light let out a sigh of reluctance and walked to the empty chair next to the one Ryuuzaki sat in. Sitting slowly he turned to the side and nodded unnoticeably seeing Rem standing in the corner of the room. Slowly he turned back to the large computer screen and shifted as the bright lights dimmed.
 
“Now,” his father began as the computer screen showed a large map of the region around the headquarters. “As you know, the moment we caught Higuchi he died of a cardiac arrest, and after looking through the apprehended notebook we did not find his name. So, this means that Ryuuzaki's theory of two notebooks is the only logical conclusion. This being said Aizawa and I went out in search for the second notebook. We found something very suspicious.
 
“It seems that earlier today a child got away from his parents and while digging in the dirt he found a black notebook. His mother found him there with the notebook, and seeing the names written in the note book she dropped it in terror. We were contemplating sending out a search team to find the notebook and bring it here to headquarters, but we couldn't do that without your permission, Ryuuzaki.”
 
Light look up remembering what would have happened on this day. He would have sent Misa out to find the Death Note he had buried, but instead of Misa finding it that kid must have found it first.
 
Ryuuzaki nodded thoughtfully as he placed a finger on his bottom lip, “Yagami-san, take Aizawa and Mogi along with you to the place where the notebook was found. If, by any chance, the notebook is gone locate the boy who found it first and find out what he and his mother know.”
 
Nodding Yagami and Aizawa took slow steps across the room.
 
Light stood suddenly, “I'll go too, Ryuuzaki,” he said knocking the chair backwards, “I should go with my father to make sure things don't go wrong.” He stepped sideways refusing to wait for a reply from Ryuuzaki.
 
“No, Light-kun, you should stay here. If you are Kira we can't have you getting near any notebooks. If this really is the second notebook I can't let you go,” Ryuuzaki said still staring up at the computer screen, “I'm sorry, but these are the precautions we have to take.”
 
Light gritted his teeth, “Ryuuzaki, I'm not Kira,” screamed pulling Ryuuzaki from the chair knocking it backwards as well, “how many times do I have to tell you that? I'm not Kira; I proved that to you, didn't I? You locked me up for over a month, and the Kira killings continued even though you kept me under surveillance 24/7.”
 
Ryuuzaki didn't respond, but looked down hearing a slight click beneath his feet. The butter capsule had fallen from Light's hand to the floor, “So,” Ryuuzaki whispered turning back to Light, “Now you decide to throw me away.” He shifted slightly and kicked against Light's chest forcing him to let go, “The reason why I say your Kira is,” he began as Light lunged toward him, “because I have to convince myself that you're Kira because-.”
 
Light tackled Ryuuzaki holding his shoulders to the cold floor ignoring his father's instructions. “Go on,” Light said though gritted teeth, “Tell me why, Ryuuzaki. Why do you think I'm Kira? Why do I always have to be Kira to you?”
 
Ryuuzaki let out a sound of aggravation and pushed against Light forcing him away, “because if I don't convince myself that you're Kira I can't deny that-.” He stopped as Light grabbed him once again and threw him to floor. “I love you.”
 
Shock took over Light's body. He stood still in the same place while his father and Aizawa stepped away cautiously. “R- Ryuuzaki,” Yagami gasped stepping backwards. He shook his head and motioned to Aizawa, “Let's go, Aizawa, we'll call Mogi along the way,” he said walking out of the room slowly.
 
Aizawa nodded following Yagami through the room. He looked back over his shoulder and let out a laugh, “Homos,” he laughed, “Who would have guessed Misa would be right (1)? We'll have to tell Matsuda (2).” After letting out another loud laugh he left the room quickly.
 
Light looked Ryuuzaki over from head to toe breathing deeply. He had known that already, but hearing it from Ryuuzaki was like a whole different thing. Ryuuzaki had barely ever conveyed his emotions in such a way. Light took another breath and sat on the floor next to Ryuuzaki.
 
They sat there in silence; Ryuuzaki pulled his knees in to his chest and stared down at the floor beneath him. Light looked him over once more; he seemed almost afraid to say a word, like his own words would be the difference between life and death.
 
“I know, Ryuuzaki,” Light thought silently looking away from the boy beside him, “I just can't say that aloud. If I did the world around us would fall apart. If we did something now; if I told you I loved you our lives would fall apart.” He glanced sideways at Ryuuzaki and frowned, “And I can't let that happen to you. That's how much I really love you, Ryuuzaki. You just can't see it yet.”
 
 
So! How about this one? How'd you like the little surprise I put in there for ya? You know…I didn't even plan that.. it just came! :)
 
 
Footnotes:
 
1: If you don't remember when Light and Misa were released and Ryuuzaki chained himself to Light, Misa said something like, “Ryuuzaki, do you lean the other way?” Meaning, are you gay?
 
2: Matsuda's obviously pretty crazy about Misa.. (at least I think so..:) ) .. so he's saying that Light's off the market.. so Matsuda can go for Misa.. sorry.. it was in my head and it had to come out… :)