Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Once lost ... ❯ Help from a rival ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
[Once again I don't own Death note or any of it's characters...or something. =X]

Chapter one
The ringing had to be coming from somewhere, Mello was sure of that. He had already searched though all of the leather couch seats, behind the television where Matt might have left it and their bedroom. It hadn't been screaming in any of those places. It wasn't in the kitchen where it could have been forgotten after he poured himself hot chocolate so he could ponder at the computers in peace, no, it had to be somewhere-. He paused ice cold gaze drifting to the red head thumping away on his controller, not a care in the world behind those sunny goggles he wore over his eyes before sighing. The closer he ventured the louder the Mario ring tone grew. Of course, Matts phone would be with Matt, he wasn't even sure why it had crossed his mind that it would possibly be anywhere he might have left it, his own cellular device sitting snugly in it's holder by the computers, where, of course, he had left it.

"Matt, phone." He hissed thumping the red head in the back of the head though there wasn't much force behind it as he paused his game. Mello wasn't even sure he knew what this one was, most likely something he had been drooling over for weeks, though Mello probably had been preoccupied when the call, 'Mello, I'm going to the store', came his way. "Matt-" He sighed watching the red fringe shift with the mans movements patting himself down running from pocket to pocket checking off a mental note of all his belongings.

"Smokes, PSP, lighter-" He stopped tousling his hair as he pulling one of his signature cancer sticks out lighting it before going back to work, his voice gruff from now having spoken in a while. "Cellphone...Cellphone...Cellphone?" He asked himself the patting continuing, Mario had never been this annoying back in the day. "Fuck, man." He exhaled a fume of smoke running out of the opening in his mouth as he pulled the 'phone from under the couch. "Yo?" The quiet, one-sided conversation went for a few minutes before Matt held the 'phone up for Mello to take. "For you, man." He mumbled using his free hand to pull the cigarette from his lips blowing out more smoke.

Mello frowned, someone called Matts 'phone looking for him? He certainly didn't like the way that sounded. "Who is it?" He mouthed as Matt unpaused his game waving the other off, fingers back to work mumbling to himself. "Hello?" He grunted walking away from the other trusting that Matt wouldn't give him the 'phone if someone he didn't want to talk to was on it.

He trusted wrong, as a voice from his past came though. "Mello, it's wonderful to hear from you after all these years." Roger started with the formalities like the gentleman he was. "I was hoping that Matt would be close to you around this time." He stared as Mello glared at the back of Matt's game addicted head. Oh he was going to hear it, big time. The old man had waited clear into the evening to call, knowing that Mello would either be home or not.

He walked back to his monitors, leather creaking with his moments as he sat down, crossing his legs deep in thought. "Roger, as much as I want to hang up on you, all better judgment is tell me that you'll call right back now that you know this is a number you can reach me, what do you want?" His voice was low, trying his best to keep calm.

Roger was silent for a few seconds before a sigh came. "I was hoping that I could at least have a decent conversation with you before requesting something but I need your help Mello." He said simply. "I know this is going to sound, odd but I need you to locate and bring someone to me. Near has done a majority of the work in pinpointing her but she's closer to you. It would be a lot simpler if you would-" He was cut off.

"If Near has done so much why don't you just let Near find her? Why do you need my help?" He snarled into the phone as Matt jerked slightly from across the room. "Why bother calling me if your precious Near has done so much?"

Silence filled the phone, Mello guess Roger was giving him time to calm down. This wasn't one of the mind fucks he had to sit though during physiology hour back at Wammy house, the older man was going to have to pick his words carefully or else he would hang up and most likely during his tantrum smash the black Motorola against the wall. If Near was so damn special, why couldn't the white pajama wearing freak find this girl himself?

"Mello, we need your help because this is more of your expertise-" He stopped choosing his words. "Near doesn't, for lack of better words, get out much. He mostly stays in his room, but you know your way around and can most likely find the female in question." He said quietly, his voice growing faint as if one word would set Mello off again and it very well might. He had to play his cards right, and right now he was laying them all out. "Mello, you and Matt have a history with the female in question and could spot her out of a crowd, Near could also but he doesn't possess the passion needed to bring her in."

Bring her in? Just what did this chick do to have Near asking Mello for help? He frowned, "I'm not Nears dog. I don't need to go sniffing around London looking for a girl that I knew years ago, I don't care if she was at Wammy house or not." He stomped back to Matt who, once again wisely paused the game dodging the phone that was thrown at him. It hit the wooden floor, luckily not snapping in half and slid as he crawled forward to retrieve it.

"Yeah?" Matt mumbled glancing over at the storming Mello, who didn't seem to be paying him any attention snatching a Chocolate bar from beside his computer monitor and slamming the door to their bedroom. "You pissed him off." He said simply as Roger agreed, a short conversation later Matt hung up the 'phone hastily pushing himself off the floor strolling at his own pace towards the closed bedroom door giving a cautionary knock as Mello grunted signifying he could enter.

Mello was laying facing the ceiling snapping off pieces of chocolate and placing them slowly in his mouth. It didn't take Matt a second to figure out the other man was thinking as he leaned against the wall lighting another cigarette glancing up waiting for the other to begin to vent.

It began, "Where does he get off? Asking me, well us, to locate some woman that we haven't seen in years? There are better things that I'm currently doing with my time, searching for Kira-" He droned on as Matt nodded every now and then exhaling smoke as the other passionately recounted every horrifying word that pass though the 'phone receiver into Mellos virgin ears. Each word, apparently burning more than the last after he found out it was a request from Near. "Well Matt?" Mello asked snapping the man out of his daydream as his emerald eyes shifted up, hidden by an array of messy red hair as he blinked. "What do you think?"

His sighed, "Well Mello, I talked to Roger and he seemed like he and Near were only turning to you because only your capable mind would be able to piece together where she might be around this time." Flattery, best take the high road, Mello had perked up. "I mean, Near couldn't find her, he gave up and turned to you, that has to mean something in your book right?" The other man went back to biting off chocolate, that wasn't a bad sign-that wasn't a sign at all. "Come on, the great Mello can find a girl right?"

Mello shifted, sitting up on the bed glaring at Matt who stepped back. Maybe flattery wasn't the right way to go. "So Matt, you came to that conclusion all your own, eh?"

Matt gulped, "Um, placed two and two together to make four sir." He said pulling his goggles up to his forehead. "All I did was place the missing pieces together. Near needs your help."

Mello smirked, nodding as he laid back a cold crackle leaving him. "Okay Matt, call Roger back and tell him I'll do it. I'll find the person that Near couldn't locate." He crossed his legs with the whine of leather.

"No need." Matt mumbled pulling his PSP out of his pocket turning it on, "Remember Crimson?"