Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dante Takes a Wrong Turn ❯ The Twist ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, yeah. This is an idea I had running on in my mind for the longest time. In fact, I'd put off the creation of this story for about a year and only recently hopped to work on it. I saw much potential! XD Read and Review, please and thank you!
... Oh, what? A disclaimer? No need for one. This is called a FAN fiction for a reason, ya know!
-Ultima

Dante Takes a Wrong Turn
Chapter One
Dante stepped out of the portal leading from the Nirvana of Illusions, but not without an awkward landing. After landing on his face and mumbling something about 'Who put the ground here?' he got up and dusted himself off.
He looked at his surroundings. Before him were several buildings behind hundreds of yards of gates. He read the sign on one of the gates. It read: "Knight University" and in fine print, "School for the Spiritually Gifted".
Dante thought about that for a quick second. This place definitely isn't the Underworld... where exactly am I, anyway?
Almost on cue, a newspaper flew by and hit him in the face. He successfully pulled it off, and read the date. His eyes could've widened to a size that's considered 'comically large', but we don't need that kind of humor yet. So, his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. "Holy fuck!! I went back in time!?"
And just to piss him off, his mind triggered a flashback to tell him exactly what happened.

Dante jumped into the Nirvana of Illusions through the Room of the Fallen, with Samsara in hand. He walked over to the statue and read the inscription. 'Bend space and time, huh?' He tried to put the stone in, only to find that it wouldn't fit properly.
'Oh, come on! Work already!!'
After much struggle, Dante managed to wedge the Samsara in for an awkward fit. A portal appeared behind him, but unlike the other ones which showed a hazy image of the next destination, this one was just blue-white swirls.
'Well, whatever. Here goes!'
And with that, Dante jumped into the portal.

The flashback ended, and Dante just stood there, arms folded, foot tapping on the ground and a vein on his forehead.
"Yeah, you figure out what happened, NOW?" he asked a rhetorical question to his mind. He just shook his head and sighed. "Whatever..." he took a look again at the sign posted on the gate. "...Isn't this the place Mom went to when she was younger?" He shrugged. "Oh well, I guess I can hang around until I find a way back."

Dante strolled right into the office, not like he owned the place-- because if he'd ever had a choice of owning anything, he'd preferred it'd be a bar or a strip club. On reaching the front desk, he asked in a rather nonchalant manner, "Hey, got any idea where I can find Eva?"
The receptionist-- a woman who seemed to be dressed in her Sunday best, with rounded spectacles balanced on her nose-- gave him a wary look before asking, "What's your business with her, kid?"
Dante blanked, and then realized he had to make up an excuse. "Oh…uh…I'm a relative of hers that she doesn't get to see very often. Uh…I'm..." Think of a fake name, think of a fake name! He thought. "...Dante."What the HELL!! Dante mentally kicked himself.
"Mm-hmm..." the receptionist nodded her head and scrolled down the list of students, when her eyes shot wide open.”WHAT?" the receptionist looked at him like he was crazy, and in turn she had a crazed look in her eyes. "You want to see HER?"
Dante jumped slightly, looked around, then back at the receptionist, confused. "Uh…yeah?" Dante replied kinda matter-of-factly.
"Trust me, kid," the receptionist shook her head. "You don't want to see her."
"And why the hell not?" Dante was starting to get annoyed.
"It's pretty much suicide -- anyone who tries to get with her has to answer to Lucian!" the receptionist cried in response. "Eva is his girlfriend, and he'll beat the hell out of anyone who tells him different!" then she stood from her seat, leaned closer to him and added in a hushed whisper, "At least, that's what he says. I heard they're not even going out anymore..." she sat back down.
Dante looked a mixture of 'slightly offended' and 'confused'. Lucian? Who the hell is HE? Dante thought for a split second. "Oh no, see, I'm her distant cousin-- " Dante began.
The receptionist's expression turned back to normal and she nodded at him in understanding. "Ahhh.. A relative, huh? Eva talks about her family often, but she never mentions you."
Dante gave her a blank expression. "Huh? Well, yeah…I dyed my hair! But, if you look at the straightness and fineness of my hair, you can probably tell that I'm Eva's son-- uh -- cousin!"
The receptionist leaned over her desk again and adjusted her glasses, as if to see him better than she already did. "That explains everything...!" she mumbled. Then she looked back at the monitor. "OK…Well, Eva is in Dormitory Hall, Floor 3, Room 308."
Dante tilted his head. "What, you're not going to direct me to the Guest Room or anything?"
The receptionist looked up, "No. You wanna see her? Go see her, before I change my mind." She went back to her business.
Dante shrugged that off, focused on remembering the location, and made his way to the door out of the main office.
"WAIT A MINUTE!" yelled the receptionist.
Dante tripped and fell flat on his face. Picking himself up, he asked "Ugh…yeah?"
"Men aren't allowed on the third floor. Women only!" said the receptionist.
Dante winced. Crap! "Whatever, I'll find a way around that..." Dante started out the door.
"Good luck with that, and don't let Lucian find you!" the receptionist waved from behind her desk. She looked at Dante up and down and thought, He's kinda cute...
As he was walking out, Dante blushed a little. He didn't see the receptionist staring at him, but something was telling him her eyes were directly on him. If I didn't know any better I'd say she likes me...

At the gates of Knight University, another portal opened, and out stepped the blue-clad devil that we should all know-- Vergil. His eyes scanned the unfamiliar surroundings.
"Hmmm, this place... it's definitely not the Underworld," he mused, then turned to look back at the vanishing portal. His eyes skimmed the ground around it, then he noticed a familiar-shaped indentation on the ground. Yup, Dante was here.
He shook his head and sighed, then turned on his heels and went into the campus grounds, determined to find Dante, some answers, and a way back.

A/N: Yay, Vergil's here too! (happy dance) No clue why this chapter is so short, but trust me, it'll pick up later. Review, because I've no clue of knowing how well I do with multiple chapter stories if you don't.