Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dante Takes a Wrong Turn ❯ The Thought That Counts ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yay, chapter 2 is up, because I had nothing better to do than to put it here. Well, yeah. Here's to the story! Note that Dante's getting the more comedic parts, while Vergil's is a little serious.
-Ultima

Chapter 2
Dante stood outside Dormitory Hall, trying to figure out a plan to get to his mother. He looked at the building up and down, figuring that he couldn't scale it using his Trickster style, for the simple reason being that if he was caught, he'd have a lot of explaining to do.
But then, he couldn't go up there normally, unless he had a valid reason, or else he'd have some explaining to do anyway. Which brought about the subject: What would he do if he did find his mother? His intention was just to hang around until he found a way back to the Underworld and the present time, but how long would that take?
And who was that 'Lucian' guy the receptionist was talking about? Must be mom's ex-boyfriend, Dante thought to himself. A jealous bastard, is what he sounds like. Still insisting mom's his chick when they're not even going out... he cracked his knuckles. He was gonna show that guy a thing or two about how to treat women, especially if it was his mom, but then--Wait, mom ditches him and meets dad anyway. So there's really no problem there, I just have to make sure I don't mess anything up.
He looked up at the windows to Dormitory Hall, floor number 3. Oh, he was gonna go up there, and if he met that ex-boyfriend of Eva's before leaving, it wouldn't hurt to sock him one anyway.

Vergil stepped through the campus, looking around for any sign of Dante. He couldn't miss him, all he had to do was keep on the lookout for his goofy-looking mirror-image clad in tacky red leather. He turned his head to the left, and to the right, spotting a bench a few yards away he could sit and rest on.
He sat himself on the bench, poring over the strange events and trying to make sense of things. He got a few points, bits and pieces of information.
1. This wasn't the Underworld. Why would the stage for his final battle with Arkham look like a University?
2. He was here. As people would say, 'No shit, Sherlock'.
3. Dante was here too. And if he was following Dante, who came here, to a place which wasn't the Underworld--
Vergil's eyes widened to a size considered 'comically large', then he buried his head in his hands. Dante, you fool, you took a wrong turn! We're not where we are supposed to be, and now Arkham's running amok in the Demon World! Who knows what he could possibly be doing!? he shouted aloud in his mind. What came out of his mouth was a low displeased groan, followed by a string of curse words in demonic.
He rubbed at his eyes, and looked up to find a girl clutching a bunch of textbooks, staring at him in awe. He stared back at this complete stranger, and in a move that was 'so like Dante', he deadpanned, "What are you looking at?"
The girl jumped slightly, and, as if realizing where she was, skittered away as quickly as her legs could carry her, sneaking a few glances back at the blue-clad devil every chance she could.
Vergil just followed her with his eyes until she was out of sight, then he just chuckled. Asked her what she was looking at, when the answer seemed fairly obvious. The slim O-katana held at his side, the Victorian era outfit, the snow-white hair... there wasn't much the girl wasn't going to look at.
And it's not every day you see anyone this good-looking on campus, he thought, then mentally slapped himself. That's something Dante would think! he chided.
Vergil shook his head, then got up and looked around again. It was time to resume his search. Where to start...?

A figure sat under a tree, watching Vergil. He wasn't exactly hidden, but then he wasn't in plain sight either. The figure sat there, sizing Vergil up, at first glance realizing that the man wasn't human. There was something... odd... about the devil, and he would figure out what that was. Until then, though... he scoffed, and, loudly enough for Vergil to hear, he declared,
"I don't know where you came from, but you don't belong here."

What? Vergil spun around to the source of the voice, only to find nothing. Whoever it was disappeared. He was about to place a hand on the hilt of his Yamato, at the ready, but he kicked back the urge. No need to make myself more noticeable than I am already...
He took one last look around-- mentally promising himself that he would take better looks at his surroundings to cut short the many times he had to do them, and walked away. He had to find Dante and the way out of this place, and now he had a time limit. , and possibly someone after him.

Dante rubbed his chin, still mulling over how to get in the building without being noticed excessively, when he spotted from the corner of his eye, a man trying to get a large cart of textbooks up the stairs of Dormitory Hall.
"Hey, need any help with that?" Dante asked. The cart didn't even look like much, but the man was struggling to get the thing up there like his life depended on it.
"I need to get this cart up to the third floor! Some girls are tryin' to do some project for their class, and they're complaining because they don't wanna have to go to the Library on the other side to get their books!"
The man continued to struggle to get it up the stairs, but finally gave up. "I've had it! My orders are to deliver this to Dormitory Hall, and I've done that! I've been paid already! I'm outta here!"
Dante watched the man leave until he was out of sight. Dante looked at the books, and then up at the building, then back at the books. He broke into a lop-sided grin and clasped his hands together, "Dante, you're a genius!"

"Eva, you're a genius!" Eva said as she looked at the incantation she'd written down. Days and weeks of non-stop studying over spells priestesses used back on the days of old, and she'd finally developed one of her own!
"It's perfect! We're sure to become famous with this!" She held the parchment out to her colleague, who laid on her bed examining the spell half-heartedly.
"That looks pretty good," said Kalina Ann. "But we might need to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. With these kinds of things, there's no room for mistakes. Do you think that those other spell books will arrive in time?"
"Hmm," said Eva. "I hope so. Otherwise, we might end up destroying everything rather than fixing it," she joked. The girls laughed.
The spell they'd invented was for domestic purposes-- Tired of having to clean up after worthless indolent good-for-nothings they had to call members of their family, and putting up with things being hurled across living rooms after their 'family get togethers' didn't quite turn out as intended, they'd FINALLY come up with an 'auto-reparation' spell that ensured the home would stay as neat and tidy as the moment the spell is cast.
It was for the sake of housewives everywhere who didn't want to do the same old thing every day. And...
Eva looked around at the mess she and her roommate didn't feel like cleaning. It's also for the sake of just plain lazy people. She smiled.
"To think, those worthless boyfriends of ours would never even offer to help!" exclaimed Kalina, putting a fist to her open palm.
That snapped Eva out of her thoughts. "Oh? Yes, right."
Kalina looked at Eva. "Sorry," she apologized. "I forgot, you broke up with your boyfriend, so of course he's not going to help. How did that happen anyway?" she asked.
Eva shrugged. "He was just too overprotective. Hmph. Like I need it anyway, as if I can't do things for myself!"
"Ooh, I get it. My boyfriend's kinda the same way."
"What? He is?"
"Yeah, but he's kinda not." Kalina turned over so she was laying on her stomach. "He's weird... He gives me an evil eye and keeps saying, 'One day, I will kill you'."
Eva gave Kalina a look like she'd just sprouted two heads. "What the hell?"
"Yeah, I know. I think it's just a phase he's going through."
Eva looked at her like, "Oooookay..."
"But still I know the perfect way to cheer you up!" Kalina declared.
"How?" Eva was curious to find out her friend's plan.
"We just find a new guy for you to go out with! That'll make Lucian jealous!"
"Um, Kalina? He already is jealous. This'll only make him worse, and who knows what'll happen then? And besides, it's not like some strapping young gentleman is gonna show up at the door asking me if I want something." Eva rolled her eyes. Sometimes, Kalina would come up with the weirdest things.
"Uh, excuse me!" The girls turned around and saw a strapping young gentleman— with white hair, oddly enough — effortlessly lugging a huge cart of books with one hand. "Where do you want this?"
"Umm.. uh--," Kalina Ann stammered, then she turned to Eva and gave her a look that said, What did I tell you?.

A/N: Yeap, Kalina Ann's so crazy sometimes isn't she? Haha! But what will happen to our goofy-looking ivory-haired hero dressed in tacky red leather (XD) now that he's found his mother and her friend? (laughs evilly)