Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Dante Takes a Wrong Turn ❯ A Much-Needed Scolding ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
Vergil looked at the situation. Dante, with his mother... it seemed so awkward. Eva was latched onto Dante like a cat, giving Vergil the impression that they had one hell of a meeting. He turned to look at his father, 'Lucian', and his jaw dropped.
Forget daggers, Lucian was practically glaring entire swords at Dante, his eyes seething with rage. He didn't look at all like the calm and reserved man Vergil had met moments before. Lucian looked... well... like he was ready to kick someone's ass.
"What the fuck!? Get your hands off my girlfriend, you rat bastard!"
Vergil jumped slightly. His father using coarse language was NOT something he was expecting. Neither was Dante's retort.
"Rat bastard!? She came onto me first!!" Dante looked particularly offended, taking a look at this stranger Vergil was with. He thought it, but didn't say it: ...Dad?
He gave Vergil a look, mentally asking him, 'What the hell is going on?' The older twin caught the look, and responded by mouthing, 'Get out of there. NOW.'
Eva didn't look at all surprised. "Listen, Lucian--"
"Wait, this is the guy I've been hearin' so much about!?" Dante eased her away from him to get a good look at this 'Lucian' guy. No doubt, this guy DID look a lot like his father... except for the hair. Ain't Dad's hair supposed to be white?
"Oh, so you've heard about me?" That interrupted Dante's thoughts for a moment.
"Yeah," he replied. "I've heard about you, jealous prick! You've got some nerve--"
"Look who's talking! Who do you think you are, laying your hands like that on MY girlfriend--"
"Last time I checked, she wasn't yours! And like I said, she came onto ME first!
Whoever this kid is, he really must not know who he's talking to, Lucian thought. The thought crossed his mind to just impale the brat-- after beating him to a bloody and senseless pulp, of course-- but Eva was there. He didn't want to subject her to seeing some overly gratuitous display of violence. He turned his head slightly to look at her, and noticed she was looking back and forth between the two of them, as if she didn't know what was going to happen.
Certainly someone like her wouldn't have made the first move in an encounter like that... Lucian gave Dante the 'You've-gotta-be-kidding-me' look, and scoffed. "Yeah, right, like I'm gonna believe you!"
Dante had a vein throbbing in his temple. Not only was this guy jealous and arrogant, but he was calling him a liar!? "Well you can believe THIS--" he reached for his twin handguns, not caring at all that this might just be his father he was arguing with and was on the verge of shooting-- but Vergil stopped him. Quicker than anyone had seen, he'd cleared the distance between them by teleporting, and now had a hold of Dante's arm.
"Stop it. NOW, Dante." Vergil gave him a stern glare.
Dante gave him an 'Are-You-Serious?' look. "But..."
"We DON'T have time for this," Vergil cut him off again. "We have to leave."
With that, he turned to look at Eva, and noticed she was staring at him with the same expression he'd seen on the stranger he'd met on the park bench. He just looked puzzled. Is she checking me out or something? Vergil couldn't help but blush. "Er, I'm sorry, ma'am..."
"No problem, don't apologize..." Eva responded, her voice faint. So dreamy... she thought, then she took a good look at them both. They're twins!? Wow! Her face turned a deep red. "You're frigging HAWT!" she blurted out to Vergil.
Dante's jaw dropped and Vergil's head exploded.
...Okay, so Vergil's head didn't explode, but he almost wished it had.
Erm, change of subject! Vergil thought frantically. Then he turned to Lucian and said, "Er-- sorry, Lucian. My brother happens to be a bit of a—a bit of a dumbass..."
"Hey!" Dante yanked his arm loose from Vergil. "It's not my fault that--"
"Yes it IS, Dante!" Vergil hissed.
Dante scowled. "Oh... I get it. Even now, you're still a da-" he didn't get to finish the sentence, as Vergil gave him a solid punch to the gut, knocking him out. Vergil caught his brother's unconscious body and held him for a moment. "Sometimes you talk too much for your own good," Vergil murmured. Then he looked his mother, then his father. "Sorry," he apologized a third time. How many times was he going to apologize for his brother's mistakes?
Eva waved her hands about, dismissing the apology as if nothing at all happened. "No, don't apologize! It's not your fault!" then she turned to Lucian, and gave him a menacing glare.
He gave her the 'What?' look. "What are you looking at me for!? What did I do?"
"You know what you did!" she cried. "Why can't you just leave me alone!?"
"But-- Eva, I--"
"You what? Wanted to protect me? I don't need your help! How about you try saving me when I actually need saving for once?"
The words made Lucian flinch, as if the words hurt. Vergil winced slightly as well, though no one caught it. If only he was there to save her that day... Vergil thought.
"Then, I'm sorry." Lucian apologized, bowing his head. "Didn't mean to bother you."
Vergil watched the scene play out, silent. He had always thought that his parents had fallen madly in love at first sight, and now he scolded himself for it-- Such a childish thought that was-- although he never thought they had such a horrible relationship in the first place! He sat there wondering what exactly it was that brought the two together in the end, when Dante stirred slightly. Apparently Vergil hadn't hit him hard enough. He held him close and teleported away, out of sight.

Dante woke up with two things on his mind-- A) Is there anything to eat around here? and B) What the hell hit me?
He found himself lying on the ground in a secluded part of campus, wondering how the hell he got there, when he was suddenly flooded with the slightly hazy memories of what transpired hours before. He sat upright quickly. "VERGIL!"
"I'm right here, there's no need to shout."
Dante turned to find Vergil sitting under the shade of a tree, eying him closely.
"Vergil," he huffed. "You--"
"I did what I had to, to make sure you didn't mess everything up."
"Yeah, you knocked me out cold when I was about to tear that fucker a new one!"
"I knocked you out when you were about to reveal who we were, you mindless moron!" Vergil shouted. "What made you think that what you were doing was going to benefit us in any way? Answer me that!"
Dante took a sudden interest in staring at the ground. Unable to look his brother in the eye, he answered lamely, "I... don't know."
"Exactly. You don't know, which is why you're so dangerous."
Dante looked up at him. "The hell!? Don't talk about me like I'm some animal!"
Vergil gave him a blank look. "Quit behaving like one, and maybe then..." his voice trailed off, then he turned away. Dante continued to glare at his brother, then he turned away too. "Whatever, who needs you anyway?"
The younger twin looked at the sky, then curled up into a ball, it looked like.
Vergil spaced out, staring at nothing in particular, when Dante spoke up again. "Hey, Verge?"
"Yeah?" He hoped it wasn't some smart-ass comment.
"...Got any idea how we can go back?"
Vergil thought about it for a moment. "No, I don't."
Dante made a small noise. "I kinda... don't want to go back. I mean, I do, but I don't-- hey, don't look at me like that! I didn't mean it in that way," he added after seeing the look on Vergil's face. "I know, I know what I did was stupid-- but hear me out! What if we did stay, we could save Mom later on! We could--" he stopped himself, realizing that he sounded just as stupid as Vergil kept saying he was. He curled back up into a ball and shut his eyes. "Never mind..."
"No, Dante, it's alright. I understand."
Dante looked up again to find Vergil smiling. This is kinda creepy, since when does he smile? Dante thought.
"I understand that you want to save Mother, and to be honest... I thought the same way.” Vergil's smile faded. “But you also have to think about our future as well. We could be erased out of existence, or who knows what would happen?" Vergil turned away. "And, there's also that chance..."
Dante gave him a curious look. "Huh? Chance of what?"
Vergil sighed. "That our efforts might be in vain, that something worse will happen in its place, or that we won't change anything at all."
Dante nodded in understanding. He'd read a few books and seen a few movies on attempted time travel, and usually nine times out of ten either the timeline was messed up, or... "If it was meant to happen, then it'll happen no matter what." he spoke his thoughts aloud.
Vergil nodded, a little surprised that Dante understood. Maybe his little brother wasn't so bad.
Dante yawned and stretched. "Well, it's getting late. G'night, Vergil." Without so much as a second's notice, Dante just fell asleep on the ground, snoring away like it was a normal bed. Vergil just stared blankly at his brother's sleeping form. He shook his head and muttered, "Well, it was good while it lasted."