Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: An Opera man named Davis ❯ Do I love you? ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER FOUR
 
The weekend seemed to pass by fast, and it was time for school again… Kari was nervous about her test coming, even with all the studying she had done, but she no longer feared that when she saw a new note stapled on the hall bulletin board… about the upcoming Student Talent Show.
 
“Oh no… not again…?” Yolei complained. “Those talent shows are such a yawn!”
 
TK and Ken didn't think so, but TK already made it clear that he was going to see it. “Mina signed up; she's trying out new gymnastic moves. I want to be there to support her.”
 
“Aw… that's sweet.” Kari said.
 
Ken wished he could enter the talent show, “Except I'm not that good at anything much now, except maybe soccer.”
 
The others knew what he meant, ever since his evil days had ceased he lost quite a lot of his talents and skills because he was shamed with the guilt and burden of what he did. He was doing pretty well since Maylo-Myotismon was beaten, but he still didn't feel much like a performer or a huge hit.
 
“Oh, never mind that…” Yolei told him, “You'll always be the super boy genius to me.”
 
Ken smiled and pecked his girlfriend on the cheek, but then he noticed, “Where's Davis…?”
 
“Yeah… didn't he walk to school with you…?” Yolei asked Kari. Kari shook her head, “I stopped by his apartment, and his folks said he already left.”
 
The others thought that was really strange. First Davis was reading actual books, and now he was getting up early for school. “You think he's sick…?” Yolei asked.
 
“Maybe he is…?” TK said, “It was strange enough he was fretting over his attention span, but what's he up to now…?”
 
The others all wondered the same thing, but they were soon to start gathering evidence as Davis came walking by. With headphones in his ears, muttering to himself…
 
“Today is Sunny….”
 
Then he repeated the phrase in a different language…
 
Hoy en día es soleado…”
 
“I am feeling happy…”
 
Me siento feliz…”
 
Davis was so busy listening into his headphones and reciting phrases, he didn't see where he was going, and bumped right into the others. A few cassette tapes fell from his pockets. “Ooh… sorry guys.” Davis said, “Guess I was miles away.”
 
“I'll say you were…” Yolei grumbled as she rubbed her head.
 
Kari and TK helped Davis gather up his cassettes. “How to speak Spanish…?”
 
“Spanish words and phrases…?”
 
“What made you decide to take this up, Davis?” TK asked.
 
Davis didn't want to tell them all the real reason why, he was saving it for a surprise. “Oh, I just wanted to give it a try… maybe it'll help with my vocabulary.”
 
Kari suddenly had that sixth-sense in her mind go off, and it only did that when someone was lying. “Something wrong Kari…?” Davis asked.
 
His girlfriend snapped out of her trance, “No… nothing's wrong.”
 
“Well then… can I please have my tape back?” he asked, “They're due back at the library tomorrow.”
 
Kari handed him his tape and he pecked her cheek. Kari blushed, and just then the bell rang. Davis had to go off to his first class by himself, “Hasta luego mi amor he said to Kari, and he left.
 
Ken smiled and then at Kari. “What…?” She asked. “What did he say…?”
 
Since Ken knew Spanish, he told Kari, “He just said… See you later my love.”
 
Kari's jaw dropped open slightly, and she blushed again. That was the first romantic thing any boy had ever said to her, and hearing it come from Davis… that was a wild thing.
 
 
Still, as Kari was in her math class, with TK. They took their test, and Kari was finding it hard to concentrate as she still wondered what was happening to Davis. TK noticed Kari had that look of worry in her eyes even with her head turned…
 
But soon he was districted when a note was passed to him from the desk beside him. IT read: “Thank you for supporting me. You're so sweet.”
 
TK looked beside him at his new girlfriend, Mina, and smiled at her.
 
 
Kari however still wasn't able to concentrate. It amazed even herself that she could worry about a person that much, especially about Davis… she really cared about him and his feelings just how he was starting to show how much he cared about her…
 
Her thoughts were racing to all the times they had before, from the day they met in preschool… to growing up and meeting again in grade seven, and finally… Davis became a Digi Destined and learned to mature…
 
Right up to their very first kiss…
 
She was defiantly acting and thinking like a girl in love.
 
(Music cue)
 
(Kari's thoughts)
 
-Do I Love you?
Count the stars
multiply by ten
Of course I do
More than now and then
-I could paint a rainbow
Shine the sky
Set the stars in space
Faster than explain
How much I
love your face
-Watch the moon
you knew soon
I would start to smile
when I say "
Things change”
It only lasts a while
If you go I'll miss you
says my tears
I'll be frightened each day
For each and every happy day
To the rainbow's end
Is where I would go, my friend
I do
love you so
 
 
Kari's fantasy was suddenly interrupted by the teacher saying, “Pencils down everyone.”
 
Kari gasped softly when she realized that she hadn't even picked up her pencil. The teacher was most surprised. “Uh… err… Ms. Kaymia, you realize that you haven't answered a single equation…?”
 
Kari looked ashamed, “Sorry sir.” she said. The teacher however was a fair man. “Never mind, I suppose you can retake the test after school.”
 
“Yes sir…”
 
 
After school, Kari re-took the test and finally completed it. She was really silly about the way she just dozed off like that in the middle of class. She thought maybe she should spend time with Davis, and maybe it would help control her nerves, and help her to quit worrying.
 
She sent Davis and email, but Davis replied back that Ken was helping him that night learn more Spanish phrases. He apologized, and Kari decided it was okay, but she was really wondering what all this Spanish learning could really about.
 
Usually Davis fell asleep in literature whenever they even opened a book…!
 
 
Speaking of books, Davis was in his room, lying on the floor, with three heavy phone books resting on his stomach. It was necessary to help his stomach and lungs generate more space and level to help his voice.
 
Ken walked into the room, having just arrived. “Davis…? What are you doing…?” he asked. “Oh… just… uh… helping my stomach. It was aching a little.” Davis lied.
 
Ken didn't know what to think of that, but he and Davis got down tot heir studying. Ken taught Davis a lot of simple words, and how to construct them. He even lent Davis his own Spanish text-book.
 
About a hour later, Ken had to go home before his mom started to worry about him again. Not to mention he and Yolei and had a Burger-date that night, his treat for cheering him up that morning.
 
Yet he and Wormon left still wondering. “What do you think Davis is really up to…?”
 
Ken hadn't the foggiest. “Now I really wish I were still a genius. Then I could figure it out.” he said.
 
 
Davis spent a lot of time in his room, with borrowed books and cassettes, and some of them were starting to have an effect on him.
 
“To make your regular voice sound operatic… simply take in a deep in a deep breath. Really start to open your throat… and put a little more sound into your nose.”
 
Davis tired it, and for the first time, his voice didn't crack. If anything, it sounded much better than ever. Sort of deeper, and stronger…
 
Veemon heard him sing, and he was impressed. “Wow Davish… that was incredible.” he said.
 
Davis smiled, “Yeah… it was.” Then he bopped Veemon slightly on the head, “And you thought I couldn't do it… hah!”
 
Still, this was no time to get cocky. So far, just like soccer, he wanted to practice and practice until he got it right, and then keep practicing until he couldn't do it wrong.
 
And so… he played back his tapes and took notes once more.