Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Only You ❯ Any Dream Will Do ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings - This fic will contain: yaoi, language, and a suicide attempt. Read at your own risk. It's rated R for these same reasons - which means if you're under 17 then you really ought to turn around and go read something else.

************************************

Kali: walks in and covers ears. What the hell are you listening to?

Caitlin: sheepish grin. Uh, a little Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Kali: This stuff is so ...

Caitlin: Cultured? I have a wide variety of musical tastes and this just happens to be one of them.

Kali: sighs. Why not something harder and louder? Like Nickleback?

Caitlin: Are you Canadian or what? Because I'm not in the mood right now. Deal!

Kali: Fine. What are we writing?

Caitlin: A Digimon fic. Mainly concerning Matt and Tai.

Kali: rubs hands together. Ooooooh! Wicked!

Caitlin: No, that's your department, my yami. However, I'd like to introduce my muse for this story: My Digimon Partner, Zoe. She's a Gatomon.

Zoe: Hello! purrs.

Kali: Am I being replaced? stares and sniffles.

Caitlin: Of course not! I still need you to help write my fics! I can't write any dark stuff with out my Darkness!

Kali: Okay. I was just checking.

Caitlin: On with the fic. And if you haven't already figured it out, this fic is going to be inspired somewhat by that beautiful music from Broadway by the master - Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Zoe: Therefore, she doesn't own any of the songs or anything else attributed to him. Nor does she own Digimon or anything to do with it. purrs and curls up on Caitlin's lap.

Kali: Caitlin only owns her fics and OC's, if any.

Pairings: This is mainly a Taichi/Yamato fic (or Tai/Matt for all us North Americans). But there's definitely TK/Kari, Mimi/Joe, and hints of Davis/Ken and Sora/Yolei.

(A/N: I'm using the NA names (mostly) because I'm just that lazy and I'm using 3rd person narratives because I suck at 1st person narratives.)

************************

ONLY YOU

Prologue - Any Dream Will Do

************************

(Normal)

Three years had passed since the Digidestined overcame the darkness and defeated Malomyotismon.

Three years and the world had changed dramatically.

The elder Digidestined - Tai, Matt, Sora, Mimi, Izzy, and Joe - were all done high school and had moved on to the next stage of their lives. The younger Chosen - TK, Kari, Davis, Ken, Cody, and Yolei - had moved on to high school.

And all were happy to have the continued presence of their Digimon partners.

Tai was in university on a soccer scholarship and working his way towards a degree in Political Sciences.

Izzy, of course, was working his way through to a Computer Science Technologies Degree, also on a scholarship.

Joe finally decided he did want to practice medicine - in the Digital World.

Mimi returned from America and was taking the necessary classes to become a Chef. She also modeled on the side to help pay for her expenses.

Sora wanted to be a famous designer, and so was taking classes on a tennis scholarship.

As for Matt, he wanted a degree in Music and his band continued to gain popularity. The money he made playing gigs financed his education.

When it came to their relationships, everyone's favorite couple was TK and Kari. Even Davis was happy for them. He'd grown up a lot since that last, cataclyzmic battle, and no longer made a clown of himself trying to catch Kari's attention. He'd finally realized it just wasn't meant to be.

When Mimi had returned, Joe had nearly had a heart attack when he finally worked up enough courage to ask her out. They'd been together ever since.

Ken had begun to realize just how much Davis meant to him not long after the battle. But he was terrified of saying anything to the goggle-head. He was Ken's best friend (next to Wormon, of course) and Ken didn't want to loose that. He didn't think he'd survive. The only other person he'd told (again, Wormon) had been TK. He'd needed a little hope and where better to get it than from the Child of Hope.

Then there was Matt and Sora. A couple years of dating and then, one evening, they had come very close to consummating their relationship. It was then that they realized while they did love each other, it wasn't the kind of love they had believed it to be. And by mutual agreement, they broke up, choosing instead to remain close friends.

During this time, one person found himself stuck in the middle. He'd known for a very long time that he'd always loved Matt. But he could only stand by and be happy for his closest friend, Sora, and his best friend, Matt. After a while, however, he began to distance himself, unable to handle feeling like a third wheel and being lovesick over Matt. He'd thrown himself into soccer and classes in an attempt to keep his mind too occupied to think of Matt. Both Matt and Sora had noticed the distance, but couldn't understand it. And when Tai just shrugged of their inquiries with his usual enthusiasm, they dropped it.

They weren't the only one's who'd noticed. Kari had too. Of course, it's a bit difficult not to notice when one's big brother comes home every evening, exhausted beyond reason, and curls up in bed to cry himself to sleep three or four times a week. Kari had begun to get very worried about Tai. He barely got enough sleep, he didn't eat as much anymore, and he'd become quiet and withdrawn. Ironically, this time it was Kari taking care of Tai, rather than the other way around.

However, when Matt and Sora broke up, Kari saw Tai regain a bit of his former spirit. She'd been so happy when Tai's melancholy and depression seemed to lift and he began spending more time with both his friends again.

Especially when TK told her he suspected his brother was eyeing her brother in a way that had nothing to do with friendship. At that point she told TK that Tai was in love with Matt, and always had been.

"I always wondered." TK had said. "They're just so close, after all."

************************

(Tai)

Tai closed his books and dropped them into his book bag. Finally! Homework done! He stretched and glanced at his alarm clock. It was only 6:30 pm. Plenty of time before he had to meet his friends at the club for Matt's gig.

He looked over at the door when someone knocked then came in. Kari was smiling and followed by Agumon and Gatomon.

"Hey! Are you done your homework yet?" She asked. "We want to go out for ice cream before going to the club. Want to come?"

He flashed her his trademark grin and stood up. "Yeah. I could use a triple fudge sundae."

"Great! She turned, picking up Gatomon, and headed out. But not before tossing over her shoulder, "You're buying, Tai."

He rolled his eyes. "Of course. I always do." He grabbed a jacket and looked down at his Digimon.

"So who won buddy? You or Gabumon?"

The two Digimon had gotten into playing net games. They spent a lot of time battling each other over the Internet. "We left off half-way through and Gabumon was in the lead." Agumon replied, shrugging. "I would have caught up eventually."

Tai laughed.

They got their ice cream and took it to the park near their apartment, sitting down to watch the sunset and enjoy their frozen treats.

The two siblings and their Digimon hadn't been there long when two familiar voices called to them in greeting.

"Tai! Kari!"

They waved at Joe and Mimi who were followed by their Digimon, Gomamon and Palmon.

"Hey Joe! Hey Mimi! How's it going?" Tai smiled as Agumon and Gatomon engaged their Digimon in an impromptu game of tag.

"We're on our way to the club. Didn't you get an email from Izzy? We're all supposed to meet there early." Joe gave Tai a look. "Oh, wait. I forgot who I'm talking to."

"Tai - who never checks his email." Mimi giggled.

Kari shook her head. "I didn't check mine yet today either. I guess we'd better go, huh, Tai?"

He nodded. "Yeah. But why does Izzy want us there early?" They began walking, Digimon right behind them.

"He said something about needing to make plans for something." Mimi tossed her hair over her shoulder.

"Huh. Wonder what he's up to?" Tai sighed.

They got to the club and the bouncer at the door let them in. Matt and his band played here often enough that the staff all knew the Digidestined and allowed the younger ones to enter - despite being underage. The older kids had to promise to watch out for them, and the Digimon, and keep both away from the alcohol (and other substances).

Everyone else had already arrived. Kari gave TK a big hug and he laughed, pulling her down into his lap.

"Where's Matt?" Tai asked. He didn't see him anywhere in the club.

"He's backstage with his band. He'll be out in a minute." Yolei told him. "Meanwhile, I want to know what this is all about, Izzy."

"Well, I was just wondering when the last time was that we all went to the Digital world. All of us together."

"Wow, that was ... a really long time ago." Sora frowned. We've all been so busy, though."

"Exactly. So Cody and I had this idea that maybe we all ought to take a vacation and go there."

Joe looked slightly panicked. "But ... but what about classes? Or jobs? Or soccer?" He looked at Tai, Ken, and Davis.

"Calm down Joe." Izzy soothed. "Don't forget that time moves differently in the Digital World than it does here. We wouldn't miss a thing."

"Hey! I like it! Why didn't I think of it?" Davis cried. "Hey Veemon! Sound good to you?"

"You bet!" The little blue mon jumped up and down on Davis' lap.

"Hey guys." Matt's voice came from behind Tai. "What's up? I'm glad everyone could make it tonight."

"Hey Matt! Pull up a chair. We're discussing a vacation to the Digital World." TK invited.

Matt grabbed a chair and sat between Tai and Sora, straddling the back. "A vacation? Sounds like a great idea. When?"

"Well," Izzy said thoughtfully. "How about next weekend? Saturday morning?"

Everyone thought about that for a moment, rearranging schedules, and agreed. "Great! So let's meet at ... "

"My place!" Mimi offered. "My parents'll be gone that weekend anyway."

"Ok. And I'll bring the food." Yolei added. She always brought the food since her parents owned and operated a grocery store.

"And I'll bring the first-aid kit." Joe sighed. Everyone laughed.

"I'd better go get ready." Matt stood. "Hey Tai? Want to keep me company?"

Tai mentally groaned. Spend time with Matt ... alone ... with Matt ... oh hell! "Sure." He kicked himself. I'm such a masochist. He followed Matt backstage to the dressing room he was using. The other band members waved and greeted Tai as he walked past.

Matt closed the door behind them and went to his bag, pulling out the outfit he would wear on stage that night. "So how have you been, Tai? We haven't gotten to talk much lately." He shook the wrinkles out of the black and red silk shirt with a frown.

"I'm fine. Busy. School, soccer, the usual." Tai replied, then nearly groaned as Matt stripped down to his boxers. Oh God! He's even sexier than I've dreamed - and I've dreamed all kinds of things. Poor Tai had to fight from openly drooling as Matt slid into a pair of tight, black jeans. "Ah, how 'bout you?" He asked in an effort to distract himself. It didn't work.

"Oh, you know. Classes, gigs, practice with the band. It's all good. Hell, it's even been a week since I've been accosted by a rabid fangirl." He grabbed the shirt and put that on, doing up the buttons quickly.

Tai chuckled. He felt like those fangirls a lot - desperate to get Matt's attention and/or get into his pants - although it was for totally different reasons. He also knew how Matt felt. Tai had some experience with fangirls, too. Being on the top University soccer team had few setbacks - and fangirls was one of them.

A knock at the door got their attention and Matt called, "Yeah?"

"You're on in ten, Matt." The club's manager informed him. "It's already crowded out there and there's a line half-way around the block outside." He nodded at Tai in greeting then slipped out again.

"Wow, Matt. You're star is rising." Tai teased.

Matt rolled his eyes and sat down to apply his stage make-up. It didn't take him long and he stood to face his best friend. "So, how do I look?"

Tai's eyes widened slightly and his mouth dropped open. Yama, my one true love, you're a god. A beautiful, sexy, gorgeous ... Tai grabbed hold of his runaway thoughts and closed his mouth when Matt laughed at his expression. He's even better than my dreams. Tai thought again. But then, when it comes to you, Yamato, any dream will do for me.

"I guess it's good if I can get that reaction out of you Tai." Matt motioned Tai to follow him out, which Tai did.

"Hey, where's Gabumon, Matt?" Tai suddenly asked, just realizing he hadn't seen Matt's shadow anywhere.

"He wanted to stay home tonight. I guess he's a little tired of the club scene. Can't really blame him." Matt stopped to grab his guitar from its case and went to join his band mates. "See you after the show, Tai."

Tai nodded and went back to sit with the group.

Kari leaned over and whisper shouted over the loud club music. "You ok, Tai?"

He gave her a reassuring smile and nodded. She looked relieved, and that told him how much she'd been worrying about him lately.

Don't worry, little sis. Everything will be fine. Tai told her silently.

************************

Caitlin: Well, folks! How's that for starters?

Kali: This vacation is going to be interesting.

Zoe: purrs. I like vacations.

Caitlin: Yeah. But I won't have one of those for a few months now. Oh well. R/R! No flames please.

Kali: And for anyone who cares - here's the title song's lyrics:

************************

Lyrics for Any Dream Will Do from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat

Lyrics: Tim Rice

Music: Andrew Lloyd Webber

I closed my eyes drew back the curtain

To see for certain what I though I knew

Far far away someone was weeping

But the world was sleeping

Any dream will do

I wore my coat

with Golden lining

bright colors shining

wonderful and new

And in the East

the dawn was breaking

the world was waking

Any dream will do

(Chorus:)

A crash of drums

a flash of light

my Golden coat flew out of sight

The colors faded into darkness

I was left alone

May I return to the beginning

the Light is dimming

and the dream is too

the world and I

we are still waiting

still hesitating

Any dream will do

(Chorus/Bridge)

The world and I

we are still waiting

still hesitating

Any dream will do

Still hesitating

Any dream will do