Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Only You ❯ Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings - This fic will contain: yaoi, language, and a suicide attempt. Read at your own risk. It's rated R for these same reasons - which means if you're under 17 then you really ought to turn around and go read something else.

************************************

Caitlin: Excuse me, Zoe, but I need my computer back now.

Zoe: Okay!

Kali: She's going at it again! How do you keep it all straight?

Caitlin: shrugs. Good memory, I guess.

Zoe: purrs. Caitlin still doesn't own Digimon or the ALW song from which the title is taken.

Pairings: This is mainly a Taichi/Yamato fic (or Tai/Matt for all us North Americans). But there's definitely TK/Kari, Mimi/Joe, and hints of Davis/Ken and Sora/Yolei.

*************************

Chapter 1 - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

*************************

(Matt)

Matt sang his heart out that night. It had been many months and many gigs since he'd sung with Tai in the audience. He realized Tai couldn't come to every gig he played - it would have been selfish of him to expect that of his best friend - but over the last couple of years, Matt had often found that he'd missed Tai's presence. A lot.

But he knew Tai was really busy, and hadn't given it anymore thought. That night, however, Matt couldn't help feeling content and happy as he sang, every so often glancing at the table of his friends and the Digimon.

When the last note sounded and they bowed to the cheers and applause, Matt and his band mates went backstage. Carefully putting his guitar away, he went into the dressing room to change and wash off the stage make-up.

He peeled off the silk shirt he wore, which stuck to him because he'd sweated so much under the hot stage lights and with all the activity on stage.

When he felt human again, he packed up his stuff and headed out to join his friends, saying goodbye to the band as he passed.

************************

One week later, he and TK (along with their sleeping bags, back packs and Digimon) were knocking on Mimi's front door.

It was Kari who answered though. "Hey! You're right on time."

"Is everyone else here?" TK asked, bending to kiss her on the cheek in greeting.

"Everyone but Davis." She rolled her eyes. "Of course."

"Mr. Couldn't be on time if his life depended on it?" Matt grinned. "That Davis?"

Kari and TK laughed and she led them up to Mimi's room, where the computer they'd use to open a Digital Gate was. Just as they entered, the doorbell rang and Kari turned to run back downstairs to let Davis and Veemon in.

Once they'd all gathered and everyone was ready, Cody stepped forward, D3 in hand. "Digi-port open!"

And off they went.

After Matt had cleared his head of the momentary disorientation that followed his arrival, he stood up and looked around, a smile on his face. He loved it here. It was ... home.

All the Digimon were happy to be home again, too. They ran around happily - or flew, in Biyomon, Tentomon, and Hawkmon's case.

Matt helped to set up the tent he, Tai, Davis and Ken would share. Joe, Izzy, TK and Cody would share another tent, and the four girls in another.

When camp had been set up and any little chores taken care of, Davis instigated a game of soccer, which everyone joined in to play.

The day passed quickly. Everyone was happy and having a great time, and it warmed Matt's heart to see all his friends together and enjoying themselves so much. Especially a certain wild-haired goggle-head.

Matt watched Tai all day. He noticed an almost immediate change in his best friend when they'd arrived. Gone was the quiet, subdued Tai. He was his old self again. It was as if, Matt realized, the Digital World had erased any and all of Tai's worries and stresses.

He wondered what had been bothering his friend so much to affect him so badly, since Tai was one of the most carefree people Matt had ever met.

I've missed you, Tai. He thought as they sat around the campfire that night. I can't believe how much I've missed you. Matt thought back to how content he'd been only a week ago, calmed and centred by Tai's presence in the audience. No one's ever made me feel like that before. Except you. Strange that I hadn't noticed before, even when I was wishing, somehow, that you were there again. The way we've always been.

"Hey Matt! Digital World to Matt?" He blinked and focused on the hand waving in front of his face.

"Huh? Oh, sorry guys. Must have spaced out there for a moment."

"We were wondering if you'd play us something, Matt." Ken asked, softly.

"And sing us a song." Yolei gave him her best pleading look.

He smiled and got up to get his guitar - an acoustic one he'd bought especially for these sorts of occasions.

************************

After a song or two, Kari and TK wandered off, wanting to take a walk and stretch their legs before turning in. Mimi and Joe had disappeared too, but no one wanted to find out what they were doing.

Yolei and Sora both went to bed, as did Cody and Izzy. That left Matt, Tai, Davis, and Ken around the campfire.

Matt continued to play quietly, humming to himself. Tai was stretched out next to him, staring up at the stars and lost in thought.

Davis had fallen asleep, and, to Ken's embarrassment, did so in Ken's lap. Davis had been using Ken's leg for a pillow while he, too, stared up at the stars and listened to Matt. Then he'd fallen asleep and ended up cuddling up to the source of heat that was Ken in his sleep.

Ken stared down at his crush's sleeping form, and, unable to help it, smiled softly and brushed a gentle hand over Davis' hair before pulling off his goggles. Davis didn't even twitch.

Huh. Matt closed his eyes and kept playing. Looks like Ken has a thing for Davis. Didn't see that coming.

TK and Kari returned, sharing a rather passionate kiss that had Matt raising an eyebrow and nudging Tai. Tai glanced over at them, flashed a grin, then went back to staring at the stars.

Joe and Mimi finally came back, too. Joe was flushed and looking decidedly rumpled. Mimi was smiling dreamily and waved at everyone as she danced off to the girls' tent.

"Have fun Joe?" Tai sat up and wiggled his eyebrows at his friend, grinning when he turned bright red.

"Ah, yeah. I'm going to bed." Joe hurried off. Matt shook his head.

"I guess we ought to go to bed too, guys." Matt stopped playing and yawned. He stood and looked down at Davis. "Want help dragging his ass back to the tent?" He asked Ken.

Ken flushed a little (which had Tai snickering) and nodded. "Thanks guys. He's a little too heavy for me to carry on my own.

Tai, still snickering, grabbed Davis' ankles and Ken took one of his arms, Matt taking the other. They carried him to the tent and dropped him on his sleeping bag before crawling into their own sleeping bags for the night.

************************

(Sora)

The weekend passed fairly quickly. So quickly, in fact, that everyone decided an extra couple of days wouldn't hurt - especially when barely any time had passed in the real world. It seemed that no one really wanted to go back yet.

Today found the Chosen children cavorting about on the beach and in the cool waters of the lake.

Sora, Mimi, Joe, and Matt were lazing about on the beach. Cody, Izzy, and Ken were competing to see who could build the best sandcastle. Everyone else was in the water.

Sora smiled as she watched Tai and Kari sneak up on Davis and tackle him, dunking the goggle-head under water. Davis yelped for help and got it in the form of TK, who grabbed Kari and laughingly dragged her away.

Sora looked down at Matt. He lay on his back, eyes closed behind his sunglasses. He wasn't overly fond of swimming, she knew, because it messed up his hair. (A/N: Never mess with the hair!) He preferred soaking up the sun and relaxing.

Then she looked back at the water in time to catch Tai looking at them. No. She corrected herself. At Matt. A sad, wistful expression crossed Tai's face but disappeared as fast as it had appeared (though it probably had something to do with Davis tackling his mentor in a flying leap more than anything else).

Sora blinked, wondering if she'd seen what she thought she'd seen. Sure enough, her tag and Crest began to grow warm against her skin and glowed a little with a faint red light.

Oh my gosh. Sora looked down at Matt, then back at Tai, then back at Matt again. Tai is in love with Matt! Why didn't I see it before? I'm the bearer of the Crest of Love for crying out loud!

Yolei suddenly plopped down on the sand beside her. "You should go cool off in the water, Sora. It feels really good in this heat." Sora didn't answer. "Sora? What is it? You look like you've seen a ghost or something?"

"What? Oh, sorry Yolei. I was just thinking about something." Sora shook her head and smiled. She couldn't talk to Yolei about it, not with Matt laying right there next to her.

That problem's solution came in the form of two mischievous goggle-headed soccer fiends, and Matt's baby brother. Kari shook her head as the three boys quietly snuck up on Matt, gesturing for everyone to not say anything.

Then the three boys sprang.

Matt didn't stand a chance. He woke up with a start, feeling hands grabbing his ankles and arms and being lifted off the ground. Instinct seemed to kick in when he immediately began struggling.

"Hey! What are you guys doing?" He yelled, wriggling for all he was worth. Sora, Mimi, and Yolei watched, giggling as Matt spotted the water a little too close for his comfort. "AH! NO! Guys come on! Put me down! Not the WATER!"

Tai just grinned and stepped back a few more steps into the water. "Sure Matt. We'll put you down." He winked at Davis and TK who nodded. They swung him a couple of times, then let go, tossing him into the water with a splash.

TK, fearing his brother's wrath, ran back to the beach and sat with Kari, who'd moved out of the way as they had carried Matt down to the water. Davis, too, had enough fear of the older boy to make a run for it while he could.

Tai, however, bravely stood his ground, laughing his ass off when Matt sat up, sputtering.

"You are so dead Kamiya!" Matt growled. He stood angrily, water sloshing down his body.

That sight made Tai suck in a breath and stop laughing. Oh, wow. Water looks really good on him. Then Tai noticed Matt's glittering eyes. Uh, oh. I think he's mad. He began backing away, hands raised in defence. "Come on buddy! We just thought you could use a bit of cooling off!"

"Taichi ... Matt growled again. He made a sudden sound of frustration and stalked away. Tai, feeling a little bit guilty and beginning to loose his temper, hurried after him. He laid his hand on Matt's shoulder.

"Matt, wait. Hey, I'm sorry, ok?"

"Don't Tai." Matt whirled and stuck his face in Tai's. (A/N: We all know Matt's temper, don't we?) "You are so immature, Tai! I can't believe you did that!"

Tai's temper started to burn too. "Immature? So I had a little fun? Big deal. You're so full of yourself Yamato. All this over your HAIR! It isn't like you can't dry it and fix it again."

"Oh, so now I'm full of myself." Matt didn't even notice when Davis opened his mouth to speak in Tai's defence and Ken clapped a hand over it, shaking his head to warn Davis to stay out of it. "Well maybe we shouldn't be friends anymore, Taichi. If that's how you feel."

Sora and the others stared, shocked at his words. Sora heard a gasp and a small moan, and looked at TK and Kari. Kari was watching her brother very carefully and tears were trailing down her cheeks. TK just looked back and forth between his brother and Tai, shock and sudden worry in his expression. Ok, I'm missing something here. Sora frowned.

************************

(Tai)

Tai stared at Matt. That had been the phrase he'd never ever wanted to hear. That statement had given him nightmares and many a bad moment. Tai felt the tears well up, stinging, and blurring his vision. But they didn't fall.

"Fine." He said, voice empty. "If that's how you want it, Yama." He turned and walked quickly away, ignoring the shocked faces of his friends.

Matt just glared at his retreating back, not realizing what he'd done.

Agumon gave Matt a cold, hard, angry glare before running after his partner in concern.

************************

Kali: Oh, that was harsh! Damn Matt's temper!

Caitlin: I know. And things are going to get worse. sniffles. Poor Tai.

Zoe: purrs. R/R! And for anyone who cares - here's the lyrics for the title song:

************************

Lyrics for Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again from Phantom of the Opera

Lyrics: Charles Hart

Music: ALW

You were once my one companion

You were all that mattered

You were once a friend and father

Then my world was shattered

Wishing you were somehow here again

Wishing you were somehow near

Sometimes it seemed

if I just dreamed

somehow you would be here

Wishing I could hear your voice again

Knowing that I never would

Dreaming of you won't help me to do

all that you dreamed I could

Passing bells and sculpted angels

cold and monumental

Seem for you the wrong companions

You were warm and gentle

(Bridge-Instrumental)

Too many years fighting back tears

Why can't the past just die?

Wishing you were somehow here again

Knowing we must say goodbye

Try to forgive teach me to live

Give me the strength to try

No more memories no more silent tears

No more gazing across the wasted years

Help me say goodbye

Help me say goodbye