Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Only You ❯ Resolution ( Epilogue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings - This fic will contain: yaoi, language, and a suicide attempt. Read at your own risk. It's rated R for these same reasons - which means if you're under 17 then you really ought to turn around and go read something else. In this chapter specifically: language. After all, the fun's mostly been had.

************************************

Kali: Alright, what are you up to hikari? takes away keyboard.

Caitlin: innocently. Oh, not much. Give that back please.

Kali: Fine. You don't talk and I take away your DVD player for a week.

Caitlin: horrified gasp. Noooo! Not that! Okay! Okay! I want to do one last chapter for this fic.

Kali: Yes, I know that. Why?

Caitlin: Two reasons: 1) everyone needs to know Tai's fine and he and Matt are a couple, and 2) there's an unresolved relationship in here.

Kali: Ah ha! I wondered about that. gives back keyboard. So get busy!

Caitlin: Getting busy! This one's going to be a tad long. Hope no one gets bored!

Zoe: purrs. No change in disclaimers.

Pairings: This is mainly a Taichi/Yamato fic (or Tai/Matt for all us North Americans). But there's definitely TK/Kari, Mimi/Joe, and hints of Davis/Ken and Sora/Yolei.

(A/N: I ran out of ALW songs so there isn't one for this last chapter.)

************************

Epilogue - Resolution

************************

The boys had had their shower, dressed, and eaten and were now cuddled up on the couch in Tai's living room watching a movie.

The phone rang, making Tai jump in Matt's arms. The blonde chuckled. "Antsy?"

"No." Tai stuck out his tongue at Matt. "Just wasn't expecting to hear the phone ring."

"Don't do that, Tai, unless you're planning on using it." Matt grinned when Tai blushed. "Are you planning on answering that?"

Tai sighed and left his perfectly warm, comfortable spot and got the cordless phone. Glancing at the call display, he recognized Matt's number.

"Here." He tossed the receiver to Matt. "It's your number."

Matt sighed. "Ugh. Probably TK."

"Or Kari." Tai scowled and cuddled back up in Matt's arms.

"Hello?" Matt answered the phone.

"Matt? Why are you answering the phone at Kari's house?" TK wanted to know.

"Has Kari gotten there yet?" Matt asked, confused and avoiding TK's question. He thought Kari would have told TK everything by now.

"No. I thought she and Yolei were going to the mall today."

Matt blinked. "Oh. TK, why are you calling anyway?"

"I was hoping to catch Kari before she left. Actually, I was looking for you. I got worried when you didn't come home last night." TK's voice was slightly annoyed and very concerned.

"Sorry, TK. I didn't mean to worry you." Matt sighed, running a hand through Tai's hair absently. Tai leaned back against Matt's chest with a contented sigh.

"Yeah, well, little brother's prerogative." Matt could almost hear the frown in TK's voice. "Uh, what are you doing at Kari's anyway?"

Tai rolled his eyes up to look at Matt. "TK?"

"Yeah. Kari didn't go to my place. TK says something about meeting Yolei at the mall."

"Oh. Was that today?" Tai shrugged. "Whatever. She and I are going to have a little chat when she gets back."

Matt, forgetting about TK on the phone, grinned down at his boyfriend and said, "Tai, love, you brought it on yourself and you know it." He bent forward and placed an affectionate kiss on Tai's forehead.

Tai scowled, brow creasing under Matt's lips. "That's no excuse for those pictures, Yama. That was…"

"Payback? It's too late to do anything about it now, Tai. Remember? Kari said she…" He stopped when he heard TK's sudden shout of amusement and laughter. "Shit."

"Yama?" Tai glanced up.

"I think TK just checked his email. Shit! I forgot he was on the phone listening." Matt felt his cheeks grow warm.

Tai groaned and turned to bury his face in Matt's chest.

"Hahaha!" TK was suddenly back on the phone. "Matt? Hehehe! When did…" Chuckle. "When did Kari take these pictures?"

Matt slouched down in his place on the couch. "TK, those pictures had better be erased when I get home." He threatened.

"This is so embarrassing." Tai mumbled into Matt's shirt.

Matt traced his spine with one hand and Tai shivered. "TK? Did you hear me?"

"Yes, Yamato. I heard you." TK snickered. "Now, I know a picture says a thousand words, but I'd prefer to hear it all from you two." TK's voice became serious. "Really, Matt. What happened?"

Tai grabbed the phone and said, "Matt has to go now, TK. We'll call you back in a few minutes." Before clicking the 'off' button, effectively hanging up on the startled TK.

Almost immediately, it rang again, but Tai just buried it under the couch cushions to silence it. "Ha! Take that!"

"So what do we do?" Matt asked.

Tai thought about that for a while. "I suppose we could just get it over with all at once." He proposed.

"What? You mean get everyone together and tell them all at once?"

"Yeah." Tai smiled and kissed Matt. "What do you think?"

Matt ran a hand through his blonde hair. "I guess. What about your parents?" He paused. "God. What about my parents?"

Tai kissed him again. "It'll be fine, Yama."

"Mmm. When you do that, I can actually believe it." Matt pulled him closer and returned the kiss, lazily sweeping his tongue over Tai's and exploring his mouth.

Tai pulled away and gave him a brilliant smile. "Call TK and tell him to get all the younger kids together and meet the rest of us in the Digital World."

"Ok. What about everyone else?"

"Phone Sora. She'll get Izzy, Mimi, and Joe to meet us."

"And I'm doing all this because…?"

Tai pressed a soft kiss on his lips and said seductively, "Because you love me and you'd do anything to make me happy?"

"Tai!" Matt huffed. "Ok, that's true, but why can't you phone Sora?"

"Come on Yama! I didn't get to surprise Kari with the whole talking thing. I've gotta do it to someone!"

"I don't know why I let myself get involved in these schemes of yours…" Matt rolled his eyes. "Fine. Give me the phone." Tai dug it out and handed it over.

"Speed dial 1." He said. Matt raised an eyebrow and Tai blushed. "It's not just me, Yama, it's Kari too. She calls TK all the time."

Matt hit the speed dial button and waited patiently for the phone to dial.

TK picked up on the first ring. "Matt?"

"Good grief, TK. Were you sitting on the phone?" Matt shook his head. "Listen, Tai and I have decided we want to explain everything to everyone all at once so we don't have to repeat ourselves ten times."

"Ok. Where and when?"

"If you'll get a hold of your group, I'll phone Sora and the others." He and Tai exchanged a look. "We want this done and over with as soon as possible, TK. Digital World at 3 pm, ok?"

"Got it! I'll get right on that Matt." TK disconnected and Matt handed the phone to Tai. "If you want to surprise anyone, you'd best tell Kari not to blab it to anyone - though she's probably already told Yolei."

"Ah! I never thought of that!" Tai grabbed the phone and dialed Kari's cell.

"Hello, Kari speaking!"

"Kari! Did you tell anyone I can speak yet?"

Surprised to be hearing from Tai, she replied, "No. I thought you'd want to tell everyone yourself. Besides, I think the pictures were enough to get you back for springing Matt on me last night."

"Damn pictures." Tai muttered. "And don't you think for one second you're getting away with that, Yagami Hikari."

She snorted. "Yeah, yeah. I've heard that before."

"We'll talk about that later. Look, TK is going to call as soon as I hang up. Tell him not to mention the talking thing yet either, ok?"

"Sure Tai. Oh, I have to go. Yolei just came out of the change rooms." She hung up on him.

"Whew. She didn't tell Yolei yet." Tai tossed the phone to Matt. "Here."

Matt quickly talked to Sora, who agreed to get everyone to the Digital World immediately. "Meet us at the same spot we camped at Matt." She said.

"Ok. See you soon."

The moment he hung up, Tai suddenly sat up and groaned.

"What?"

"I just realized something. How do we get to the Digital World? We don't have D3s!"

"Agh! You're right! I guess we'll have to ask TK or Kari to…"

"Wait! I know who to ask! Besides, I want to talk to him before we see the others." Tai snatched the phone from a startled Matt and dialed.

"Hello, Mrs. Ichijoji." Pause. "Yes, this is Tai." Pause. "Yes, I got my voice back." Pause. "Thank you, ma'am. Is Ken home?" Pause. "Ok, thanks." There was another longer pause where Matt assumed Tai was waiting for Ken to get to the phone.

"Tai? Is that really you?" Ken's soft voice floated over the line.

"Yep! It's me!" Tai grinned to himself as Ken gasped.

"Oh! Oh, this is great! Hey, I just talked to TK and he said we're all supposed to meet in the Digital World at 3. What's going on?"

"That's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about. Can you come over right away?"

"Of course. Is everything ok, Tai?" Ken's voice held a wealth of concern.

"Things couldn't be better Ken. Just come over and you'll understand everything."

"Alright. I'll be right over."

*************************

Twenty minutes later, Tai opened the door to let Ken inside.

"Hey! Thanks for coming over so fast, Ken." Tai grinned at him and Ken couldn't help but smile back. Here was the Taichi they had all known and missed so much.

"I'm so glad you're voice is back, Tai. And I'm very proud of you." Ken kicked off his shoes and followed Tai to the living room.

"Well, I guess the quickest way to explain is sitting right there." Tai waved and Matt rolled his eyes, but smiled.

Ken nearly tripped over his own feet when he saw Matt. "Matt? What are you…Oh!" Ken exclaimed, a slow smile spreading when he realized Tai and Matt had made up. He looked back at Tai, eyes full of understanding and relief. "Wow. Aren't you full of surprises today?"

Tai laughed and pulled him into a bear hug, startling Ken. "Yeah, well, you know me." Tai held on for a bit longer. "Thanks Ken, for all your advice and for just being there."

Ken closed his eyes and hugged him back. "Anytime, Tai. I'm just glad to have you back to your old self. I know the others will be too."

Matt, smiling a little, said lightly, "Ken, as much as I like you, I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me back my Tai."

Ken blinked and hastily stepped back, blushing. "I wasn't…"

"Oh, brother. Ignore him, Ken. He's just kidding around." Tai flopped down on Matt's lap and grinned when Matt winced.

"You need to eat more, Tai. You've got to get some padding on your bony ass."

Tai pouted and twirled a lock of Matt's hair around his finger. "And here I thought you liked it just the way it is, Yama."

Mat sighed, blushing, and Ken laughed.

"So Ken," Tai turned to look at him, settling back against Matt's chest. "Have you made a move yet?"

"Uh…" Ken turned bright red and avoided looking at them. "No."

"Tai, what are you talking about?" Matt wanted to know.

"Ken and Davis." Came the reply. Ken moaned and sat down heavily in a comfy chair.

"Tai did you have to blurt it out like that?"

Matt rested his chin on top of Tai's head and smiled. "I'd pretty much figured that part out for myself, Ken." He tapped a finger on Tai's nose, who wriggled it, annoyed. "I take it you two have been conspiring against me and Davis?"

"Conspiring is such a harsh word, Yama." Tai complained.

"Whatever. Have you told Davis anything yet?" Matt asked Ken.

He shook his head with a forlorn sigh. "I just haven't had a chance to yet."

Tai groaned. "Ken, what advice did I give you when you came to see me in the hospital?"

Ken looked away. "You told me to tell him before it was too late and not to make the same mistakes you did."

Matt pulled Tai closer and kissed his cheek softly. "Very wise advice, love. But it wasn't entirely your fault. I wasn't paying very good attention, after all. I should have noticed."

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore." Tai took Matt's hand and entwined their fingers. "I've got you and I'm not letting go."

Ken couldn't stop the smile, though he was feeling a little sorry for himself. "Do you two know how perfect you are for each other?" He glanced at the clock. "Oh, we'd better go guys."

Tai yawned. "Yeah." He stood and pulled Matt up too. "Hey Ken? Since we're going to the Digital World, you could talk to Davis today. It's the perfect time." He led them to his Dad's office where the computer was.

Ken sighed and dug out his D3. "I suppose. I'll try, Tai."

"Good."

"Digi-port open!"

************************

When they 'landed' they were met by their Digimon partners.

"Hey Agumon! What are you doing here buddy? I thought you guys were at Gennai's this weekend." Tai knelt down to speak to the little orange 'mon.

"We were but…" Agumon began jumping up and down. "Tai! You talked! You talked!"

Tai grinned and caught him when he leapt into his arms. "Yeah. You know, you would have found out sooner if you'd been awake last night."

Agumon looked at him. "What happened last night?" Then he spotted Matt and glared.

Matt flinched and took a step back. "I know you're mad Agumon, but…"

"Of course I'm mad!" Agumon shouted. "After what you put Tai through? Why wouldn't I be mad?"

Tai grabbed him before he could leap on Matt. "Cut that out! I don't want you to hurt him, got that?"

"But…"

"No. Listen, Agumon, Yama and I made up. We're friends again." Tai blushed at Matt's raised eyebrow and smirk. "Ok, fine! Yama and I are going out, Agumon." Tai stared directly into Matt's eyes as he spoke. "I love him."

Matt smiled brilliantly. "Love you too, babe."

Agumon gave him a suspicious look, then sighed. "Alright. I'll forgive you Matt." The little orange dinosaur's gaze hardened as he said, "But if you ever hurt him again…"

Matt held up his hands, completely serious. "Never again, Agumon. I swear."

Ken coughed. "Ah, I hate to interrupt, but we'd better go. The others will be wondering where we are." He stood off to the side, Wormon in his arms.

Matt took Tai's hand and they walked toward the camp.

"Tai, are you thinking this is going to be a little embarrassing?" Matt asked in a low voice.

Tai flushed a little. "Well…yes, I guess it will be." Then he got a glint in his eyes, one that Matt knew all too well.

"Oh no. Whatever you're scheming, NO."

"It's not that bad. Just listen." Tai stopped suddenly and poor Ken nearly walked into him. "Oops. Sorry Ken."

"'S ok." Ken gave him a questioning look. "Why'd you stop?"

"I just got this idea." Tai outlined his plan.

Matt couldn't help it. He started snickering. "Oh, I like it."

Ken looked a little panicky. "Tai, are you sure you want to shock them like that?"

"It worked once before." Tai shrugged. "Come on Ken. You don't have to do anything! Just don't say anything to spoil it for us alright?"

Ken shook his head. "I can't believe I'm agreeing to this."

"Ok, so you and Matt go first." Tai gave them a little push toward the camp. "I'm right behind you."

Ken walked into the clearing with Matt, greeting the group of Chosen sitting or standing around with their Digimon.

TK and Kari came over to Matt as Ken walked over to Davis and Cody. "Matt! What is going on?" TK looked around. "And where's Tai?"

Matt swallowed a chuckle. "He's here."

Kari noticed how hard he was trying not to laugh and groaned. "Oh, no. Brace yourself, TK. Tai is about to pull something."

"I'm beginning to get that." TK studied his brother with interest. "Gee, Matt, you're awfully cheerful today. And I'd say you and Tai…"

"Shhh. Don't say anything yet!" Matt hissed, covering TK's mouth with one hand. He looked over TK's shoulder and gave a short nod to Tai, who was hiding with Agumon behind a tree. Tai flashed a thumbs-up sign, then stepped out of the trees.

Kari rolled her eyes at the definite glint of mischief in the Child of Courage's eyes, then decided, What the heck? Might as well play along?

"Tai! You're late!" She admonished. Startled, he gave her a questioning look. Kari nodded, then winked. He flashed a grin.

TK looked down at her. "You're just as bad as he is aren't you?"

"Worse." Came the blithe response.

"Tai!" Everyone else chorused, happy to see him - and looking so cheerful too. Tai waved.

"Ok, we're all here. So what's this about TK?" Yolei, with her usual impatience, demanded.

"Ah, actually, I called this meeting." Matt gave them a sheepish grin. "I have some news I thought you'd all like to hear."

Izzy angled his head to one side, a quizzical expression on his face. "What's up, Matt?"

Matt looked at Tai, and Tai strode up to him, a very serious expression on his face, though Matt could see the effort it was taking for him to hold that look in place.

"Tai…" Sora spoke, looking very worried. So was everyone else (except Kari, TK, and Ken).

Tai couldn't do it. Their concerned faces got to him and he sighed and shrugged apologetically at Matt.

Matt looked a little disappointed but grinned. "Oh, fine. Ruin our fun."

Tai gave him an answering grin. "I'm sorry, Yama. But they were all so worried! I couldn't do it without being killed for it later."

Joe, Mimi, Izzy, Sora, Yolei, Davis, and Cody gaped at him.

Mimi broke the startled silence with a squeal. "Oh! Tai spoke!" She launched herself at him and hugged him hard.

Tai gave her a kiss on the cheek (and thought he heard Matt growl) before giving Mimi back to Joe. "Yep. It came back last night."

Sora sniffled and Yolei handed her a tissue.

Joe studied Tai for a moment. "Well, it's great Tai! So do you have any idea why it came back all of a sudden?"

"Sure. It's all Matt's fault." Tai smiled sweetly at his lover, who snorted.

"You're such an idiot, babe."

"Yeah, but I'm all yours." Tai snatched his shirt with one hand and dragged Matt down to kiss him with trademark enthusiasm, not that Matt protested.

Cheers, whistles, and applause filled the clearing, and they broke apart breathlessly, grinning stupidly at each other.

After all the explanations were done, including the pictures Kari took, everyone had begun to drift around, just enjoying the time they were spending with each other and the feeling of peace that settled over them all with the return of their leader's spirit.

TK and Kari came over to their older siblings at one point and smiled at them.

"We're so happy for you both." TK said. "It's perfect! Since Tai is like an older brother to me…"

"And Matt is like an older brother to me…" Kari finished.

Matt pulled Tai close and smiled at them. "We're family. I know I love you both very much."

Tai nodded his agreement. "Me too." A sudden glint passed through his eyes. "Speaking of little sisters…"

Kari blinked, then began backing away, tugging on TK's arm. "Uh…I think we should be getting back, don't you TK?" She turned and made a run for it.

"Oh no you don't!" Tai broke away from Matt's arms and took off after Kari. "I haven't forgotten your little stunt this morning Yagami Hikari!" She laughed over her shoulder.

"But you two were so cute!"

Tai turned red and chased her around the clearing, much to everyone's amusement. But Kari made the mistake of running past Matt, who snatched her around the waist with one arm and held on to her until Tai caught up.

"Ha! Thought you could escape, did you?" Tai poked her sides with his fingers and she gasped, wriggling and squirming. "Ah! No! Come on! Not the tickle torture!" She gave a squeal of laughter as Matt joined in. They pinned her to the ground and tickled her mercilessly.

"TK!" She giggled and squirmed desperately. "Help!"

He grinned. "I would, love, but I've got my own skin to worry about."

"TK!"

They finally released her and she sat up, giggling and panting.

************************

(Ken)

Ken watched, smiling as Matt and Tai proceeded to tickle Kari within an inch of her sides splitting. He felt a small pang, seeing the two older boys together and so obviously happy and besotted with each other, and the way they absolutely adored their younger siblings.

He remembered all those good times he'd had with Sam, his older brother. He missed Sam all the time, and often wished he had him back.

A hand on his arm got his attention. "Hey, Ken. You looked sad all of a sudden. Something wrong?"

Ken looked down at his beloved goggle-head. "It's nothing, Davis. I just remembered something about Sam and I, that's all." He blinked in surprise when Davis took his hand and pulled him away from the group. "Let's go for a walk, dude. I didn't get a chance to last time we were here."

"Uh, sure."

They walked side by side for a while, Wormon and Veemon both walking ahead of them a fair distance in front.

Ken glanced at Davis. "You're awfully quiet, Davis. Is something bothering you?" They found themselves back on the same beach where the 'Fight' had occurred. Their Digimon went to the lake and began splashing around in the water, playing.

Davis turned a little pink at Ken's question and sat on the warm sand, drawing his knees up to his chest and staring out at the lake. Ken sat next to him, mimicking his position.

"I, ah…I guess I'm just…pensive." Davis replied after a while.

"How come?"

Davis sighed. "Ken, if I were to tell you something, would you hate me after?"

Ken stared at him with a frown. "Davis, you are my best friend. I can't think of anything you could say or do to make me hate you."

The goggle-head's answering smile was a little weak. "I hope so."

"What's wrong, Davis? If you have a problem, maybe I can help you fix it."

"Well, um, you see…" Davis stammered. "I kind of have a crush on…someone. I, ah, after seeing Tai and Matt, well it sort of inspired me but…I don't know how to say it." He turned very red and refused to look at Ken.

That was probably a good thing because Ken had gone very pale and he felt his heart shattering into itty-bitty little pieces. He took a deep breath and forced all emotions behind a wall in his mind before saying in a hollow voice, "I would just tell the person Davis."

Either Davis didn't hear the emptiness in Ken's voice or he ignored it, because he buried his head in his arms and mumbled, "But what if it's a he? And what if he's…"

"So what if it's a guy? I think you already know how the others will react. They don't care."

Davis looked up, completely oblivious to Ken's pain. "It's not them I'm worried about." Davis gave him a pointed, intense look.

Ken blinked. "Me? Davis I don't care if you like boys! Why would I when I…" He snapped his mouth shut and turned away, missing Davis' eyes widen, then the wicked grin that crossed his face. Davis chuckled.

"You too, huh?" Ken gave him a withering glare.

"Ok, yes. I'm gay, too. Happy?" This is so not how I'd planned on telling him. Ken groaned mentally.

"Very. Because it'll make this a whole lot easier." Davis suddenly leaned forward and pressed his lips to Ken's.

Ken's eyes went very wide and a small gasp escaped him. Heat poured through him from the simple contact and he couldn't stop the moan that came when Davis pulled back to stare into Ken's eyes with amusement. "Dai, I…"

"I guess you've figured out who I've got a crush on, huh, dude? I, ah, realize you may not feel the same about me, but…" He was cut off by Ken's mouth descending on his, and their arms came up to wrap around each other, pulling each other as close as possible.

To whatever deity is listening, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! The joy in Ken's heart spread, along with the passionate heat Davis' warm body evoked in him.

Neither boy took notice as a pair of eyes, one chocolate brown and one ice blue, watched from the trees. Tai and Matt watched for a moment longer, then turned to each other, smiling lovingly at one another.

"Looks like it's happy ever after." Tai slid his hands up Matt's chest to wind his arms around his neck, bringing their bodies close.

Matt grinned and wrapped his arms around Tai's waist, then bent to kiss him senseless.

*************************

FIN

Kali: Heh heh. So that's the end for this fic?

Caitlin: Yep. I'm very much looking forward to getting inspiration for the next Digimon fic we write.

Kali: No ideas so far?

Caitlin: Nope. But we'll see how things go. Besides, now I can devote more time to my Yu-Gi Oh! sequel.

Zoe: purrs. I'll see is I can't come up with an idea or two for you, Cat.

Caitlin: beams. Why thank you, Zoe!

Zoe: purrs. No problem. R/R!