Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Reich Diaries 2002 ❯ Entry One - The Endless Forest ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

-------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER - Digimon belongs to several different companies of which I own none. Therefore all digimon used are their property and used without permission. The Diaries Universe belongs to Lord Archive. The German Digi-destined belong to the Diaries universe. All other miscellaneous characters are my meagre intellectual property.

By Misc666

Set in Lord Archive's Diaries Timeline

Reich Diaries 2002

Entry One - The Endless Forest

-------------------------------------------------------

Berlin, Germany

September 23rd, 2002

"The Reichstag was built between eighteen eighty four and eighteen ninety four. It measures one hundred and thirty seven metres by ninety seven metres." The tour guide continued to ramble on about the imposing government building in front of the schoolchildren. However being schoolchildren they all began to wander off to do their own thing.

One particular child noticing the crowds around him decided this was the perfect time for him to sneak off. He was eleven, as were the majority of the class although some were approaching their twelfth birthdays. He had messy black hair, which he tried to smooth down with no luck, and black eyes. He wore a pair of baggy brown trousers, which would have fell down if not for the belt holding them up, and a plain white t-shirt. As he saw the teacher start to get into the tour he saw his opening. So he picked up the dirty brown coloured backpack that lay by his feet and pulled a pair of sunglasses out slipping them over his eyes.

"Nikolaus, I hope you're not trying to sneak away." The child in question froze, wondering how their teacher had known he was trying to get away and not all the others. Sighing in acceptance he put the bag down and sat next to his best friend.

His best friend of course currently had no time for him. Slightly taller than Nikolaus and less stocky in build he was currently laid out over the floor. His hair was hidden under a cap, however light blue strands could be seen poking out. He wore grey shorts down to just below his knees covered in pockets and a long sleeved blue top.

"Tobias, what are you looking at?" Nikolaus knew that it would be the normal thing that always caught his friend's attention.

"I just saw a MiG-21M. One of the beauties of the German Air Force. How I'd love to fly one of those." Nikolaus sighed at the fanboyism of his friend. Some things would of course never change.

"So? Are you still obsessed with planes?" Nikolaus sighed as a shocked expression came across his friend.

"Of course. I do want to be in the Air Force when I'm older, as you should remember." Tobias dropped back down on to the grass and continued to stare up. Meanwhile Nikolaus tried to see who else was around.

"Why are they making us come on a field trip at the start of the year?" Nikolaus turned to find himself face to face with Katrina Probst.

She had long blond hair in a ponytail down the back and blue eyes covered by a pair of glasses. Her blue jeans were held up by a white belt that had a pad of paper hung off it and she also wore a tight white tank-top with a pair of eyes over the middle of the chest. A pen rested on top of her left ear which fell off as she flopped down on to the ground dropping her bag as well.

"I guess it's because we're new to the school. Not everyone's known each other for years like the three of us," Tobias waved his hand dismissively as he rose into an upright position.

"Yeah but why take us to the Reichstag. I know it's like the most important building in our whole country, or something, but it's not the most interesting place to take a bunch of eleven year old kids, is it?" Katrina sighed and began rummaging through her bag for something sweet.

"Well it's obvious by the amount of people who've ran off. I'd have thought you'd have enjoyed this though. After all it's something you can go off and write about."

"Yeah but it's so damn boring. Who cares about how big it is. Maybe if they told us something interesting I'd be excited." She sighed and pointed off in a direction of a large crowd that seemed to be forming.

"Goeth?" asked Nikolaus with a put-out look on his face.

"Yeah I think he's found his `victim of the day'. Want to go sort him out?" Tobias grinned while getting to his feet. Katrina and Nikolaus also got to their feet picking up their bags.

As they came closer Nikolaus began using his stocky frame to move some people out of the way. Finally they came to the centre where two boys stood out from the rest.

The first was lean and muscled with short blond hair and piercing blue eyes. His light brown trousers were neatly pressed and a tight black t-shirt was tucked into them and held tight by a belt. But not much of the t-shirt could be seen due to the faded brown army jacket with a pair of pockets over the chest he wore over it, even though it was too big for him. Unlike most of the children around he wore a pair of heavy black boots. Overall it gave an impression of someone who wouldn't seem out of place in a Nazi procession.

The other was less muscled but not much shorter. He had spiky reddish-brown hair and brown eyes. His skin was slightly darker than most Caucasian although it was definitely Caucasian. His clothing was also neatly pressed although it consisted of a plain white long-sleeved shirt and black trousers. Around his neck he wore a cross with the image of Christ crucified on it.

"Hey I may be part Jewish but I'm not Jewish. I'm Catholic." Yelled the darker skinned boy who turned away to walk off. However the blond reached over and grabbed hold of him.

"If it looks like a Jew and talks like a Jew it is ultimately a Jew." Said the boy while still holding a lack of emotion on his face.

"Look I'm just barely an eighth Jewish. And I've never even thought about being Jewish. I was baptised and nothing else." The boy again tried to walk away but found himself being pulled by the collar.

"Do you think I'm going to let you walk away? All the boys and girls came for a show. I've got to give them one." The boy's tone implied malevolence but none seemed to show on his face.

"Hey leave him alone." The blond turned too late and found himself thrown to the ground by Nikolaus.

"Hmm do I see a Jew-lover before me?" The blond wiped some soil off his side before turning to face Nikolaus.

"Look what does his religion matter Hans? Just leave him alone. Or else…" As Nikolaus finished talking he found Hans-Joachim to be smirking.

"Or else what?" Hans-Joachim was still smirking when Nikolaus reached out and grabbed him by the collar of his jacket.

"Oh I'm more than willing to come up with something." The two stared at each other daring the other two make a move. But neither got the chance to.

Screams pierced the air causing Nikolaus to let go of Hans-Joachim and both of them fell back to the ground. Around them the other visitors began running away. Behind him he saw Katrina and Tobias helping Karl to his feet and wiping the blood away from his mouth.

And that's when he saw what was causing the ruckus. A hole had been ripped in it and out of this came a blue shape. Then there came a smell. Wafting through the air was the smell of decomposition which caused Nikolaus to grab his nose and struggle for breath.

The creature then emerged fully exposing its true form. Black patches could be seen around its red pupiled eyes. A series of tubes formed what could, by a stretch of the imagination, be called a spine. Out of one of its sides pocked a pair a yellowish ribs flecked with blood. But the worst aspect was the claws and teeth. They shone unlike the ribs; however they were covered in even more blood. Nikolaus assumed that not everybody had gotten out of the Reichstag.

"Holy shit." That was the ultimate summing up. The other four all turned to face him each with differing expressions on their faces. Tobias looked on with a mixture of surprise and maybe what could be awe. Katrina was still as curious as usual and fumbling around trying to find a pen. Karl seemed disgusted at the sight of the rotting creature. And finally Hans-Joachim looked on with the same smug expression as usual. He began wondering what his expression would have been.

"Sludge." The voice was guttural and caused cringing in all the people still present. But then something worse happened. It reached one claw inside itself and literally pulled part of itself out and tossed it at a group of people. Screams filled the air as the sludge smoked and literally dissolved them. Even Katrina didn't seem interested in finding out whether they were still alive.

And then the sky flared with light blinding Nikolaus and causing him to turn away. When he turned back he felt something impact with his stomach sending him sprawled on the ground. Then the world exploded with a huge bang.

Unknown

Unknown

Next thing he knew a delicate hand was reaching down trying to pull him to his feet and Katrina's head appeared above him.

"Get up Nikolaus. Something weird just happened." He nodded as he heard Tobias' voice from somewhere behind him. So he tried to get to his feet by pushing himself up. That's when he felt the cold feel of the device beside him.

"Yeah that's part of it." That was Katrina speaking. Dumbly he nodded and turned to face the device beside him. It was vaguely egg-shaped, although what would be the top of the egg was at the bottom of the device, it wasn't round like an egg and had an antennae sticking out of the top. Mostly white it was only distinguished by the grips along both sides coloured crimson.

"Okay what the hell is it?" Nikolaus began rubbing his head hoping his headache would fail.

As he did this he raised himself up to look at his surroundings. What he saw caused him to jump. Instead of being outside the Reichstag where he assumed he'd fallen asleep and began dreaming, he was in a clearing in the middle of a heavily wooded area. Nearby he found Tobias, Katrina and Karl. They seemed to be rummaging through his bag.

"I assume it's something important since all three of us have one. Ooh sandwiches." Karl cut himself short as he pulled a pair of foil wrapped sandwiches out of Nikolaus' bag.

"Go ahead. It's got pickles in it and I was planning on finding someone to swap with anyway. Now where the hell are we?" Nikolaus got to his feet and walked over to where the other three sat. There he found a pile of food which he assumed was made up of all the food they'd pulled out of their respective bags.

"We have absolutely no clue. How come you got red and I get this brown colour?" Tobias pulled his device out. It was exactly the same if not for the grips being brown. All in all Nikolaus had to agree it was pretty nasty looking.

"I wouldn't advise that. We did after all get hit by these specifically so I assume they're only useful for us. Anyway I got this ochre one." Karl made a face as he pulled out the off-yellow coloured device he'd attached to his bag.

"Well I guess I got off lightly with this lovely sky-blue." Katrina grinned as she pulled out a light blue device. In her other hand she held an apple she'd found in Nikolaus' bag, another of the things his mum put in there despite his not liking it.

That's when they heard the beast roar. Trees fell as the giant blue sludge-monster slid through them. Somehow it seemed even larger now.

"We are buggered. Seriously." The other three nodded their agreement with Nikolaus' statement.

"Beak Pecker." A new figure entered the scene. A strange red and white shape shot out scratching at the blob. With a roar the blob countered by slapping at it. Nikolaus knew it wasn't his day as the blur shot down towards him hitting him in the stomach.

"Ow," moaned both Nikolaus and the creature, who was now shown to be some kind of red and white bird with a belt tied around its head. A feather protruded from this belt. Climbing to his feet Nikolaus starting edging away in the opposite direction.

"Thanks for stopping me. Are you a human?" The creature put on a confused expression as it stared at him.

"Yes, all four of us are. What are you? And where the hell are we?" said Tobias leaning in and poking it in the nose.

"Hawkmon. I'm Hawkmon. Haven't you ever seen a digimon before? And as for where we are. We just call this the Endless Forest" This sparked something in Nikolaus' mind however he couldn't exactly remember what he was thinking of.

"Digimon? Is that thing also a digimon?" Nikolaus seemed to be getting the situation.

"Yeah that's Raremon. Nasty piece of work. If I wasn't just a Child I'd give him a piece of my mind." Hawkmon started using the black claws on the end of one wing to scratch itself.

"Hawkmon where are you?"

Out of the trees came a trio of more digimon. The first was about the same height as Hawkmon. However it resembled a beetle raised up on the rear of its six legs. The front two ended in pincers while the middle pair were considerably smaller than the others. What was most striking was that it was completely metal making it look sort of like a plug.

The second was by far the tallest, maybe twice Hawkmon's size. It mostly resembled a fox with short yellow fur covering its body completely with bushy white fur around the neck. Its paws wore purple gloves on which was drawn the yin-yang symbol. A bushy yellow tail came from behind it ending in a white tip.

The final shocked Nikolaus to the core. It was yellowish-orange and stood as tall as the first two. Its image was most like a reptile although its nose was odd. It was large and flat and was the focus of attention. But then attention would be drawn to the sharp claws that could be seen on the end of its hands and feet.

"You. I remember you. I remember seeing you on the news a couple of years back. Something about monsters appearing all over the world. But I thought they were shooting a movie or something." The reptile cocked his head to the side as Nikolaus ranted.

"No this isn't the same Agumon. I'm Renamon and this is Kokuwamon. Are you really humans?" That was the fox who Nikolaus noted had a very feminine voice.

He looked over to his side to see Katrina walking back and forwards near the fox. She currently held the sky-blue and white device in her hand and was concentrating on it deeply.

"Uh yeah we are human. I'm Katrina and this is Nikolaus, Karl and Tobias. Could you explain what this device is and why it vibrates when I keep getting near you?" Nikolaus noticed she was right and her device was vibrating, the vibrations seemed to get stronger as she got closer until it was almost making her shake.

"Then you must be Digi-destined. And if I am setting it off you must be my partner. That in your hands is a D-3, a type of digivice. If the other three have them then it's likely that they are also Digi-destined." Renamon gestured towards her three companions.

"So I guess we work out which digimon is ours now." The other children agreed with Karl's suggestion. But Agumon shook his head, or at least as much as he could.

"No time. Raremon's coming." Agumon pointed to where the giant blue blob was closing in on the clearing.

"Well then I guess you fight them then." Nikolaus grinned while looking at the beast.

"Guess so." With that the four digimon shot off into battle.

As they closed in on Raremon they began to separate. Agumon kept on going straight down the middle, Kokuwamon veered to the left, Hawkmon to the right and Renamon propelled herself into the air.

"Baby Flame." Agumon's stomach bulged before he spat out a ball of flame which hurtled towards Raremon. With a thud it impacted on the blob sending a ball of slime splattering against the ground but seemingly not doing anything else.

"Fox Leaf Arrowhead." Renamon opened her arms out wide as shards of light formed in between them. With a nod she sent then shooting down at Raremon. Again they formed lots of little holes but didn't seem to affect the huge mass of sludge.

"Stun Shock." Lightning formed between the two antennae on Kokuwamon's head and shot out towards Raremon. This only succeeded in stopping his progress for a couple of seconds before it regained its senses and proceeded onwards.

"Feather Slash." Hawkmon reached up and grabbed his feather between his two wings. With a grunt he sent it arcing out towards Raremon. This time the attack went straight through Raremon and out the back where it arced round returning to Hawkmon's hands.

"Did I tell you three that we're utterly buggered?" Nikolaus tried a feeble grin but the looks on the others faces told him that this probably wasn't the right time.

"We have to do something," muttered Tobias as Raremon's sludge narrowly missed hitting Hawkmon.

"Yeah but what?" Katrina's tone was violent and partly due to watching Raremon's fist, or as close to as fist as Raremon's body came, swat away Renamon and throw the fox-digimon into a tree which promptly snapped in half.

"Well there's got to be something we can do. I mean if we're these Digi-destined they talked about then surely we can do something." Karl's face was grim and showed that he didn't really believe what he was saying.

But then it hit Nikolaus. Something Hawkmon had said started to get to him.

"If I wasn't just a Child I'd give him a piece of my mind."

Obviously this Raremon must be stronger than a Child. Therefore it stood to reason that they could become as powerful. But how, and even more importantly which digimon was his. If he didn't pick the right one he was buggered.

"Agumon. I'm sure it's Agumon. That's what my gut's saying." The other three stared oddly as Nikolaus started running off towards where the digimon fought.

"What is he doing?" said all three at once as Nikolaus narrowly dodge being hit with a stray piece of sludge.

`If he is my digimon then we have a shared responsibility to each other. Besides I'd hate to say that my partner died five minutes after I met him." Pretty soon he'd reached the fallen form of Agumon. The Child digimon was currently trying to get up without much luck.

"How do I make you get stronger?" demanded Nikolaus helping the little dinosaur-like creature to his feet. Happily he noticed vibrations coming of his D-3.

"You don't know. I only know that it takes three things; a digimon, a Digi-destined and a digivice. But how you get them to work together is a mystery." Agumon shrugged while turning his attention to where his three comrades had all been tossed to the floor, and where Raremon was slowly coming towards them.

"Well then I hope I work this out soon." Nikolaus started frantically pressing buttons, which failed to do anything but bring up a map.

"Sludge." Nikolaus spun his head round to find a handful a Raremon flying towards him and Agumon. Shielding his face he waited for the worst.

This however meant he failed to see to see the blinding light which exploded from the screen of his D-3. But he did turn in time to see the light envelope Agumon.

"Agumon evolve..."

Agumon's body expanded until he was as tall as a fair sized building, and had claws the size of Nikolaus. At this point his skin changed in colour going from yellowish-orange to a deep red. Green scales grew out of his back going from largest at his head to smallest near the tip of his tail. As this was happening his belly turned white.

"…Tyranomon."

"Holy crap. What the hell is that?" Tobias stared with his mouth agape as Karl fiddled with his D-3.

"I assume by the fact that he yelled out `evolve' that he somehow gotten stronger. Maybe even to the power level of Raremon. Of course he may have just changed shaped." Karl tried to grin but found it hard under the overwhelming feeling of dread.

"Guess so. Does this mean we stand a chance?" asked Katrina slightly dubious.

"Well we have to hope so. Maybe we'll get lucky and God will send us a miracle." Karl frowned at Tobias' joke.

"Don't mock religion. Maybe he will." Karl returned his attention to where the two digimon stared each other down.

"Don't worry Nikolaus. I'm more than strong enough now." The grin was too toothy to be reassuring but the thought was good enough.

"Fire Breath." A much larger ball of fire shot out of his mouth this time but just as it reached Raremon, it parted ever so slightly making it miss barely.

With a roar of his own Tyranomon charged ramming straight into his opponent who slid back under the attack.

"Stinky Gas." Tyranomon was totally unprepared for this attack and as Raremon's mouth opened a burst of putrid green gas emerged sending the dinosaur to the ground clutching at its large nose.

`No he can't lose now. Not when he came so close to winning.' But all Nikolaus could do now was trust in Tyranomon.

As Raremon closed in ready to deliver a final blow several things happened at once. First a blur shot out of one of the trees and across Raremon. It shouted something at which it launched an attack which hit Raremon in the eye. Raremon in turn temporarily forgot about Tyranomon instead trying to find its attacker. And Tyranomon rolled over on to his back as his stomach expanded.

"Fire Breath." Once more a ball of flame leapt from his lips. But Raremon was too busy to notice and when he did it was too late as the top of his body, what could loosely be called a head since it included eyes and a mouth, was ripped clean of in a burst of data. As the rest of its body realised it was dead it too exploded into data which fled into the sky.

All of sudden Tyranomon shrunk back to being Agumon who promptly collapsed. The four children and three digimon all charged over to him but inevitably it was Nikolaus who made it there first.

"It's odd. I still have loads of power. Why'd I devolve?" Everyone looked puzzled as Agumon ranted about how he shouldn't have reverted to his Child form so soon.

"Hey does it matter. You totally destroyed him. Not that I condone killing mind you." Nikolaus frantically waved his hands hoping he hadn't offended the deep devout Karl. But Karl didn't seem to notice and instead was looking away.

"It was close though. How was his breath?" Renamon hit Hawkmon over the head while everyone sweat-dropped at the inappropriate question.

"Hey am I seeing things or has a giant black monolith just appeared over there in the trees?" Everyone turned to find out what Karl was talking about. Indeed there was the tip of a monolith that could be seen despite the height of the trees.

"Oh no. He's gotten this far already." The humans turned to Kokuwamon who'd stayed relatively quiet sine they'd met him.

"Who?" asked Karl already fearing the answer.

In the shadows of the trees the blue eyes of Hans-Joachim Goeth watched them crowding around the reptile congratulating it on beating the Raremon. Calmly he turned to where something was slithering up beside him.

It was a small insect with a green segmented body and a light yellow underbelly. Two flat green antennae rose out of its head and black lightning bolt shapes could be seen on each segment of its body, with two filing in for the eyes. A purple beak was on it's face as well as having purple mandibles and a purple stinger on the end.

"Why did you get me to help them out?" asked the creature.

"Well, it's no fun if they die. Is it, Dokunemon? Now tell me about this big boss you were going on about. Sounds like a nice bug." One hand dipped down and picked up Dokunemon while he walked off deeper into the forest.

Next Entry - Rise up young girl, Rinkmon shoots into action

The new German Digi-destined set about learning what these so-called Evil Spires are. But could a mysterious egg found by Katrina be a key to dealing with them? Or will the egg's guardian be too much for them to handle?