Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Influences ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Um, wow, its been over a year since I've updated. I guess that's what college does to you :P. Anyway, I'd just like everyone who reads this to know I thank all of you for the support up to this point and yes, I still write for this story. It takes a little longer to update, but I do still write for Hybrid Generations as well as a few side projects. Anyway, enjoy this long deserved update ^_^.
 
Chapter 16: Influences
 
Karen walked into her kitchen early in the morning, still drowsy and not completely awake. “Why in the world do I have to be at work so early today,” Karen mumbled to herself as she poked around the kitchen to find breakfast. She opened her refrigerator and looked around on the several shelves of food. Suddenly, the brown-haired lady turned from the cold air of the fridge, turning attention to outside the window. She quickly walked to the back door and outside, where her loyal digimon perched in front of her, “Devidramon,” she blinked, “what's wrong?”
 
“It's him,” Devidramon said in his raspy alert voice, “he's back.” Karen looked over to the horizon and indeed saw the familiar hybrid that confronted her before. Devidramon was about to fly to the hybrid, but Karen stopped him. “Wait Devidramon, look.” Karen pointed to the hybrid, “He has company.”
 
The sun rose over the familiar hybrid, creating a long shadow that extended right to the digimon and hybrid duo. He stood motionless and soon two others joined his side. One was a large figure and the other was much more of a feminine body with a hat and a staff about as tall as the one holding it. Karen and Devidramon were ready for anything, but the three turned away and left, leaving Karen bewildered by the sudden action. “Why did they…?”
 
“Should we follow them?” Devidramon asked with his raspy voice. Karen looked at her watch “I should be going to work,” she looked west, where the three hybrids headed. “But I have a feeling something very bad will happen. Come on, I think working at a Copy place can be sacrificed.” The Tamer mounted the back of her Digimon and they pursued the trio.
 
~*~
 
Reiko looked at the screen and noticed a spot on the screen. He sat up in his chair and watched the screen carefully, “that's close to Magsay-san's house.” He zoomed in on the disturbance, “it looks like its her and Devidramon, but where are they going? Magsay-san rarely goes into the air.” He watched the screen closer, “I don't see anything else on the screen. I better wait for the others for a deeper analysis of the area.” He sat back again and continued the observations.
 
~*~
 
“Its almost time.” Seira said as she looked at the sky, “sunrise, he won't be expecting it.” The three continued running down the street just fast enough to not be noticed by the waking residence of the area. “Why did we stop in front of the Tamer's house?” Seira turned to Genesis.
 
“Personal reasons.” Genesis simply stated. “Do not worry about it.”
 
“Wonder who this guy we're supposed to get is?” Terry questioned. “He must be one powerful guy `cause Higura-sama gave us permission to use any force.”
 
“…Without killing him.” Seira added, “But remember, we'll be in the forest, which may be a disadvantage to all three of us. Stay together.”
 
“Oh man, I wish it was that Kitsune kid we were fighting,” Terry said, “I'm ready for him after we're done with this mission.”
 
“Patience, we'll get our chance,” Seira reminded her colleague, “I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that obnoxious cat-girl either.”
 
The three finally stopped in front of a gate. The masked girl looked at the sign on the gate, reading: Serenity Forest: DO NOT TRESPASS! THE LAND IS PROTECTED UNDER THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT. Terry raised his hand into the air and suddenly a metallic gun formed around his arm. “I'm ready to go.” The large, green-haired hybrid smirked as he looked up into the fenced forest. Seira turned to Genesis; “Ready?” the sole female asked the quiet colleague. He looked over to her and nodded. His hand reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette. He lit the rolled tobacco and took a puff. The hybrid then lifted his left hand, pulling down his long-sleeve. Extending out was a thin, tentacle-like metallic arm with a clamp end. The pincer-like hand grabbed the gate and tore it off its hinges. “Let's go.” Genesis breathed out smoke as he walked toward the forest. Terry scratched his head and laughed nervously.
 
“I thought of using a bit more subtle method but whatever,” Seira shrugged, “we better hurry though, we're bound to be noticed with this broken gate. Serenity Forest is a few more kilometers away.”
 
~*~
 
Atsuiko arrived on the school grounds much earlier than she usually does on that cool morning. She walked over to a bench on the courtyard, put her bag on the bench and sat quietly right beside it, watching the sunrise over the horizon. The wind blew softly against her black hair as thoughts of yesterday passed through her mind the same way. `They were enemies,' Atsuiko began to think, `but something about him. That one hybrid in the shadows—he kept looking at me.' She sighed, `He looked to be a virus-type digimon hybrid like I am.'
 
“What am I thinking,” Atsuiko silently laughed at her own thoughts, “he's an enemy. And I have friends like Kitsu-kun and Keishin-chan already. It's silly…” Her own thoughts faded off as she noticed her own shadow forming with the continuing sunrise.
 
~*~
 
Kitsune walked onto the school grounds with ten minutes to spare before first classes began, “no being late for me today.” He exclaimed proudly.
 
“Hey Kitsune!” a familiar voice called from behind. The disguised hybrid turned around to see a fellow hybrid, not disguised as usual, “what'd your mom do to you yesterday?” Keishinko taunted.
 
“Not much as usual,” Kitsune sighed, “she gave me the same lecture as when you guys were there. Mom said that she would tell my Dad about what happened, but I didn't hear from him yet. How `bout your parents?”
 
“They were the same, but they were actually more surprised that there were other hybrids other than us.” Keishinko said, “But I think they're hiding something…” Before the conversation continued, the two noticed Atsuiko sitting on a bench by herself staring at the shadow of the building. They both walked up to her.
 
“Atsuiko,” Kitsune placed a hand on her shoulder, “are you okay?”
 
The hand startled her for a moment, causing her to jump. `I thought it was him,' she thought to herself. Atsuiko smiled, “Good morning Kitsu-kun, Keishin-chan.” She got up, “oh, yes, everything's fine.”
 
“You sure you're alright?” Keishinko asked again, “Looks like you were spacing out there.”
 
“I was just…” Atsuiko hesitated a moment, “thinking. I arrived to school early.”
 
“Was it about yesterday?” Kitsune questioned, “I'm sorry for bringing you two with me. After having that talk with my parents yesterday, I realized that I did put you two in danger.”
 
“That's alright,” Keishinko smiled, “besides I did want to fight, but never really got the chance. I seriously wanted a piece of that stupid-looking girl with a mask and her stick…”
 
“And Atsuiko, I'm sorry I know you really didn't want to go…” the teenage Lee looked over to her, who seemed to daydream again, “Atsuiko?”
 
This time, she was more stuck in her own thoughts than before. The thoughts of if she actually met the hybrid, thoughts of his powers, thoughts of her fighting that hoard of digimon all over again, and with those thoughts the replay of Ruki's words of advice. `You're powers are different, they are not meant to be feared.' “…Powers.” She mumbled to herself.
 
“What was that?” Kitsune asked. Finally, the Dobermon hybrid snapped back into reality. She immediately turned to Kitsune.
 
“Kitsu-kun,” Atsuiko began, but paused for a moment, “those hybrids, are they our enemies?”
 
“I'm assuming so,” Kitsune folded his arms, “they were the ones who wanted a fight, especially when they called us “organic.””
 
“But what if they're just different?” Atsuko said in a louder voice. She realized what she had said and the manner she did it in and covered her mouth.
 
“What do you mean?” Keishinko began, but before the conversation continued, the bell rang. Atsuko immediately picked up her belongings and hurried to class without saying a word more. “Atsuiko is acting stranger than usual…”
 
“I know,” Kitsune said, watching Atsuiko hurry to class, “but I wonder why?”
 
~*~
 
Reiko took off his helmet as he rang the doorbell to the small home. Within moments, a woman with long red hair opened the door. She smiled at the sight of the boy, “Welcome home Reiko.”
 
“Hi mom,” he hugged his mother and walked into the home. “Where's Dad? I need to talk to him.”
 
She moved to close the door and directed her son inside, “he's in his study doing what he's always doing.” Yamaki made his way to his father's study. He walked through the hard oak door where his fater was sitting. The room was lit up with the natural sunlight that shone through the shutters, yet it still retained its dark atmosphere. His father was sitting in an executive leather chair. He was not wearing his trademark sunglasses he used to wear when he worked for Hypnos. He had given them up when he retired from his job and had Reiko. He was working from his laptop when he noticed his son walk in. With a warm smile, he got up and hugged his son. “How's everything Reiko?”
 
“Dad, I need to ask you some questions.” Reiko got down to business, “Lee-san and I have having a few issues with a certain issue.” The elder Yamaki nodded as he went back to his leather chair and sat down to hear his son's entire story. Reiko explained the entire situation and asked the same question he has been trying to figure out the entire time, “So what do you think dad?”
 
In classic style, the elder Yamaki sat with his hands folded and his elbows on the table, “It sounds like someone is opening gates between the two worlds. The situation sounds similar to what Lee-kun and myself dealt with several years ago. It may be someone in the Digital World, but it may be someone in this world.”
 
“Do you think its some sort of program like what you worked on?” Reiko asked.
 
“I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to use the work of Hypnos again. It may be something more advanced, or something the Digimon in the Digital world is doing.” Yamaki continued his theories, “if it is the Digital World in which the ruptures between the worlds is happening, someone must go into the Digital World to stop whoever is causing the passing between worlds. If more digimon come into this world, it may be a danger to everyone.”
 
“So you're saying if the problem is originating from the Digital World, someone has to go in to stop it?” Reiko leaned forward, as the conversation began to get more complicated.
 
“Yes,” the elder Yamaki closed his eyes, “however, I do not think it has been done since Lee-kun and the others have done it. And when we did do it, it was a lot of trouble just to get them back into our world. However, if this threat is as bad as it sounds at this point, and if you cannot pinpoint the someone in this world who may have been opening wormholes into the Digital World, it must be done.”
 
Reiko leaned back into his chair, “If we cannot find the culprit in this world, we have to go to the Digital World, without a guarantee that we will be able to get back.” His father nodded.
 
“Talk it over with the rest of your team and Lee-san. I know that Lee-san will know what to do.” Reiko nodded to his father's advice. He got up and thanked his father. “Hey, your mother has already started making dinner, you better stay and eat.” Reiko smiled at his father's usual semi-threatening invitation to stay and eat.
 
~*~
 
Kaju and Blake walked into the large communications room, where they found their colleague Reiko Yamaki watching the large screen.
 
“What's happening Reiko-kun?” Kaju asked as she walked up behind the teenage Yamaki.
 
“Magsay-san and Devidramon are flying somewhere,” Reiko informed, “normally they never fly in broad daylight.”
 
“That's the northern suburbs of Shinjuku,” Blake informed, “I wouldn't worry about it too much, not many people live up there.”
 
“Still, its odd…” Reiko said, but before he could say anything else, Karen and Devidramon dropped off the map, “what the…?”
 
“Too much electrical disturbance” Blake said, “its like a constant digital electric storm in that area.” Reiko and Kaju turned to their colleague, “It's strange, the people in that area refused to have any skyscrapers or other large projects built there. Its my guess that they wanted to preserve the forest in that area, which is, from what I heard, old with a lot of history behind it.”
 
“You're talking about Serenity Forest?” Reiko questioned. Blake nodded. “Well, I'm a bit concerned about Magsay-san, although she has Devidramon.”
 
“We'll keep an eye out for her,” Kaju informed. Blake and Reiko nodded as they all went to their work areas to begin the day.
 
~*~
 
Alec jumped up from sleeping, “Someone's here.” He immediately got up from where he was sleeping, “three of them, but why?” He ran through the thick flora of Serenity Forest to try and find the intruders. The Seadramon hybrid climbed trees to find them. Before long, he spotted what seemed to be a man hanging from another high tree. He squinted to get a better view, and when he did, horror struck his face. The one he was looking at was staring right back at him with a red eye. “Another hybrid?”
 
Alec jumped down and began to run the opposite direction. On the other side of the forest, Genesis jumped down as well, “Northwest,” Genesis informed his “siblings,” “he should be heading the opposite way now.”
 
“This forest is huge,” Terry's eyes wandered around looking at the forest, “at this rate, we may never find him.”
 
“Don't worry,” Seira assured her brother, “I'll speed this up.” The Wizardmon hybrid stabbed her long scepter into the ground and spread her arms out wide. She clapped down onto the scepter, “Terror Illusion!” With a loud clap, several copies of the Wizard hybrid were created. “This should cover more ground, now lets go!” The three original hybrids, with the copies of Seira, ran into the forest in pursuit of the Seadramon hybrid.
 
Meanwhile, Alec continued to run. `I can sense it,' he thought as he continued running, `there were originally three, but now there's more than ten.' He looked back for a moment. `I would fight, but there are too many of them now and they're much too powerful.' “I only have one hope…” He jumped into the trees and looked south, “I must find Kitsune and the others.”
 
~*~
 
Karen continued to pursue the three hybrids into the forest, watching as close as she could without getting too close. “Where did they disappear off to?” Karen asked as she continued to scout the area.
 
“Karen, look,” Devidramon spoke, “another hybrid.” The brown-haired woman looked and indeed there was a helmeted hybrid boy sitting at the top of a tree looking south. “What should we do?” The black dragon digimon asked his tamer.
 
“If my hunch is right, he may be in trouble,” Karen began, “let's go Devidramon, we'll see who he is.” The demon-dragon nodded and redirected the flight path to the teenager perched high above. As they flew closer, the blue-skinned boy never turned his attention to the duo. “Hey!” Magsay called over to him when she was close enough, “what are you doing up here?”
 
The boy turned, caught by surprise by the tamer and flying digimon. He stared back, but was still silent.
 
`His head is covered with a helmet,' Karen thought to herself as she and Devidramon hovered in place, `and his skin is blue. He must be a hybrid, and probably the target of those three others.' “Come on, it isn't safe here! We got to get you out of the forest!”
 
“I don't need your help!” the boy yelled over the flapping of the dragon's wings.
 
“We aren't here to harm you,” Karen extended her hand, “I know that you're a hybrid.”
 
“I can handle this…!” He turned away and jumped down from the tree before the adult Tamer could say anything more. `I can't stop him,' Karen thought to herself, `but I can try helping him, if he wants me to or not.' “Devidramon,” the dragon was attentive to his Tamer's next request, “come on, its time to fight.”
 
~*~
 
Alec landed on the ground on his feet. He looked around, `no time to waste, I must get out of here.' He thought, as he turned ready to sprint. But before he could get going, a being stood in front of him. “Damn.” He muttered.
 
“Now where do you think you're going?” the being asked. “Higura-sama wants to speak with you.”
 
“I don't associate with humans,” Alec said calmly, “especially ones who sends their lackeys to do their dirty work and kidnap me.”
 
“Now who said that you had a choice?” another being spoken from behind. The Seadramon hybrid turned around, and to his horror, was the same exact being staring right at him. “You either go quietly or we use force.”
 
“Force.” Alec said, acting on impulse and charging one of the shadowed beings.