Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Darkness ❯ Life Goes On ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lost in the Darkness

Part 23

Life Goes On

Disclaimer: *sighs and begins to sniff* I don't own DBZ. WHAAAAAA!!!!!

Kakarotto: *shakes head* Honestly. It's not the end of the world.

Lady Foeseeker: But Karot-chan! You're supposed to tell me I'm great and wonderful and I should own DBZ!

Kakarotto: That would be considered lying. Especially you being great and wonderful.

Lady Foeseeker: HEY! YOU'RE MY MUSE! I OUGHT TO FIRE YOU!

Kakarotto: The only one left is Ego Problem Vegita.

Lady Foeseeker: Not only does that sound like some kind of Barbie, his ego's too big as it is.

Ego Problem Vegita: *roars* I AM NOT A BARBIE!!!!

Lady Foeseeker: Eh heh… Hope you like! *runs off*

ENJOY!
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The now free Saiya-Jin twins had a chance to rest up before Bardock insisted on their return to school. A thing neither Kakarotto or Turlis saw the point of since they'd missed most of the year anyway. It was an argument that fell on deaf ears, however. The two returned the very next week.

Chichi had chosen to go with them since she'd had very little social interaction with kids her own age seeing that she'd finished her training as a doctor a few years earlier. The three were worried about how'd they'd be welcomed upon their return and Leah and David tried to alleviate their fears. Not that it really helped, but it's the thought that counts.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Kakarotto held his head up proudly as he entered his first class, to see Sharpner sitting there smirking. Kakarotto growled at the teen and flared his power slightly. The teen's smirk widened. Kakarotto could do nothing to him unless he wanted to compromise what he was working for and they both knew it.

The teacher, on the other hand, welcomed the boy back into class and told him to take his seat. Kakarotto shook his head. "I would like to have a different seat than the one I was assigned, sir. I would rather not sit by Sharpner."

"Go sit down, boy." Mr. Alan snarled at him. "He hasn't done anything to you, though God knows he should."

"I don't want to sit by him." Kakarotto insisted.

"Fine." Mr. Alan snapped with a scowl. "Go sit over by Amber."

"Arigato, sensei." Kakarotto bowed and sat down calmly. Amber shied away, watching the powerful Saiya-Jin carefully. The teacher continued with the lesson.

"I won't hurt you, you know." He pointed out when the teacher was finished.

"Of- of course." She still looked rather uncomfortable, but not nearly as much as before.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Turlis might have bowed his head as he walked into class, but he didn't want people to think it was because he thought they were above him. He was a bit embarrassed as well, knowing that his own classmates had sold him out. His feet were dragging slightly and his hands were clenched at hi sides. The teacher, a slavery activist, snorted as he entered.

"Sit down, boy." She hissed at him, shoving him towards his chair. No one moved to defend him, the teacher had obviously threatened them with something because Shannon had a look on her face that promised revenge and Jeremy had a look that clearly said he wished he could do something.

Turlis gave a small sigh. He had expected something like that to happen when he returned. He was not particularly surprised, to say the least. The teen plopped down in his chair, trying to keep his composure. He hated being treated like scum because he was different. People might like being the shoe, but no one wants to be the slime stuck to the bottom.

Shannon, a girl he knew rather well before he was kidnapped, gave him a small sad smile and mouthed, "I'm sorry about her."

Turlis grinned and mouthed, "thanks," in reply.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Chichi gulped as she walked into her first class, universal language, and sat down right near the front. Chances were, she would have no trouble in this class. The petite brunet had spoken universal since she was very small and her whole career in order to converse to the numerous races and people she had to deal with. The teacher grabbed her shoulder and lead her to the front of the room.

"Class? This is our new student, Chichi Mao. I hope you welcome her as you would anyone else." The teacher smiled at the girl and told her she could return to her seat.

"Weren't you the chick on the news?" One finally asked. "That slave's mate? What's a mate?"

"Yes. I am Kakarotto's mate. It's like his wife. Only different." Chichi told him proudly.

"I would dread to be married to a SLAVE." The most popular girl in the school told Chichi with a sneer. "To think, you are one yourself now. And a Saiya-Jin. How savage are they?"

"Ni abor mei dis sanna." Chichi smirked. She had learned that particular phrase from a very foul mouthed alien.

"What did you call me?" The girl demanded.

"I told you not to insult my mate." Chichi gave a sweet smile, then added in a whisper only the girl could hear, "Bitch."

"Why you-!" The girl sputtered. Chichi only smiled. The teacher watched the exchange with mild amusement. She knew exactly what Chichi had said, but opted to feign ignorance. Someone had to put that girl in her place, after all.

Chichi grinned. Maybe it wasn't too bad here. She could insult people in universal and they never had to know. That definitely had promise. And Chichi never let that go to waste.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Turlis and Kakarotto walked into the science room together, both reflecting on how their first day back was going after exactly an hour into the day. Not good was the unanimous decision, to both of the boys' annoyance. Science, a class the two could normally avoid attention during, was no longer such a class. Especially since people had seen them on the news a few days before.

"Kakarotto, Turlis. Welcome back!" Dan grinned. The band geek was another tuba that the two knew. "It's about time you got here! You missed everything! Where have you been!"

The two shot him a blank look. "Dan? Where the heck have you been? We've been in slavery the past several months and were on the news just last week openly opposing slavery." Turlis raised an eye brow.

"Really? Cool!" He nodded. "Totally awesome decision, yo."

"…So…what color is the sky in your world today?" Kakarotto asked hesitantly.

"Blue, dumbass." He snorted. "I wanted to make sure the rumors were true before I started telling you about them."

"What rumors?" Turlis' eyes narrowed.

"Woah! Calm down! Just that you were kidnapped. No one really knew much beyond that. Your dad totally freaked about it to. Why was that? I just figured you ran off until I recognized you one the news the other day. I didn't want to presume anything, so I wanted to make sure." Dan held out a hand. "Peace!"

"That's a very smart idea." Kakarotto admitted. "I guess I jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry."

"It's all good." Dan grinned again.

"So it IS true?" A girl piped up. "You are slaves!"

"We've been slaves. We were just freed recently. Don't be stupid." Turlis could hardly believe his classmate's stupidity.

"Whatever."
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Chichi walked into English with a look on her face that promised hell to anyone who messed with her that day. A look that was blatantly ignored much to her annoyance. She was being bombarded with questions and people demanding answers and annoying people that wanted to claim to know her and be famous and say that they always knew she'd crack.

Two things really vexed her about this. Firstly, no one here knew her, and secondly, she couldn't hurt any of the morons because it'd make her mate look bad. She scowled. She couldn't win. Ever. Luckily the teacher walked in, made her introduce herself and ignored her the rest of the lesson and forcing everyone else shut up. The lesson was, after all, on the final, he had told them while winking at Chichi to let her know he wasn't serious.

The girl grinned. Anything to shut them up! She didn't have the same teacher Turlis did, which was fortunate for the teacher, but had Kakarotto's. The girl bowed to the teacher a second time and went to sit down.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

English. Oh joyous timing, Kakarotto frowned, walking into the class. It wasn't that he didn't like the class, but it was one of the two of his worst classes, partly because he'd only been speaking English since he was nine (Saiya-go was definitely different) and partly because the class had more of the slavery activists in it than any other of his classes, except maybe history.

The Saiya-Jin had a guarded look on his face, his eyes were masks of their true selves and his lips were drawn together in a thin line. The teen was obviously worried about what would happen in class and he was concerned about how he would defend himself.

The first person that Kakarotto saw was Leah. He gave a happy yelp and grabbed her in a tight hug, swinging her around for a moment. The teen raised an eyebrow but made no comment. She simply sat down and buried her nose back in the book she was reading. Kakarotto made a face at her and plopped down in his chair across the aisle.

"Kakarotto! You're back!" Lisa gave a brilliant smile at the Saiya-Jin and sat down in her chair just behind him. "I didn't think you'd ever come back after what happened. Do you know who did it?"

Kidnapped me? I have several ideas…" Kakarotto trailed off and his gaze turned to Brad for a brief moment that Lisa never caught.

"I would like to help you figure it out. What would happen to them if they got caught?" She asked. Leah looked up, interested.

"They'd get six months and a fine for stealing and selling something that wasn't theirs." Kakarotto replied bitterly. "If I kidnapped one of them, I'd be put to death and they don't even suffer. They get a slap on the wrist."

"What?" Leah gasped. "Nothing will happen? But think what they did to your parents! Your brother! You!"

"I'm a slave, remember? A possession. I am nothing but an it." His tone was bitter, his eyes sad.

"And you would be put to death? Kakarotto, that's completely unfair!" Lisa protested.

"And that is life." Kakarotto turned towards the blackboard and waited for class to begin.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Turlis had to reflect on the fact that it all started in history class with one innocent looking debate that raged out of control. Look where all Goku's morals had gotten him! Turlis shook his head. He would not think that way. He refused. There was no way he'd think that way.

It was the middle of the lesson, and his teacher had been doing current events, which is probably what lead to those particular thoughts. He doubted he even would have thought about that debate if it hadn't been for the fact that the teacher brought up their current war on Slavery.

Kakarotto, seeming to catch his random thought of, "Goku's stupid morals" felt a bit hurt. ::Turlis?:: He half said, half asked.

::What Kakarotto?:: Turlis groaned. No doubt his sensitive little brother had picked up on the thought and felt bad.

::I'm sorry about all this. Are you mad?::

::Iie. Not really. I just wish it hadn't happened.::

::Me and my stupid morals, huh, Yinyan?:: The thought was almost whispered.

::Sort of. I probably would have said something if you hadn't and then it would have been me and my damn pride.:: Turlis was trying to make him feel better.

::But it wasn't. I'm really sorry.::

::I'm not.:: Turlis smiled. ::Think of where you'd be if we hadn't been captured.::

::I know. But you seem so…upset.::

::I didn't get a mate.:: He pointed out.

::You're jealous?::

::No. Well, yes…but not about all that. There's plenty of chicks here!::

::Turlis!:: Kakarotto laughed.

::Now, if you feel better, scram. I have a class to listen to.::

::Thanks, bro.::

::Of course, inoko-chan.:: Turlis smirked.

::TURLIS!:: The two cut the connection trying not to laugh.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Chichi made a face at the annoying teacher before her. He had as much as told the class that he hated slaves with the examples he used on the board. Chichi was trying to stay awake in this class as well, her head bobbing. She'd been doing this math for YEARS. The least they could have done was stuck her into something interesting.

"Ms. Mao?" Mr. Alan, the teacher, asked, snapping the girl to attention. "Are you bored?"

"No, sir." Chichi replied sarcastically. "I'm falling asleep because I find this class positively riveting. A real page turner, let me tell you."

The teacher made a face. "And you think you know everything I'm teaching?"

"I KNOW I know everything you're teaching. I've been a doctor for two years." She yawned.

"To slaves. They can't possibly require that much knowledge. Kill them and be done with it." Mr. Alan snickered.

"I'm a doctor. If you don't know what a doctor is, I guess I know you need a dictionary for Christmas. I think you need a vocabulary boost. After all, it's pretty obvious you have trouble defining yes and no." Chichi gave the man her sweetest smile.

"Why you little-!" He began.

"Tut, tut, sir. You don't want to say that here. Unless, of course, you'd like to be fired." Chichi was in a bad mood.

The teacher growled in reply and Chichi went back to sleep. No one ever out foxed the one that could out insult BULMA, after all.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Turlis and Kakarotto met up outside the Universal Language room with groans. The two were bored out of their minds with this class. Not fun at all. Not ever fun. But it was better than being slaves, they supposed. That was even worse.

The teacher greeted them with a smile, she always had been nice, and told them they could sit anywhere they pleased, just like always. The Saiya-Jins smiled. This was too good to be true. But it was true.

::I've kind of missed this, you know?:: Kakarotto told Turlis just before class started.

::Yeah, me too. But not that much.:: He laughed. The duo grinned and started to listen to the teacher as the class started.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

"You must be Chichi!" A girl with vaguely Italian features grinned at her.

"Yeah, I am. But you're one up on me there. You know my name and I don't know yours." Chichi gave her an appraising look.

"Gomen about that." The girl laughed. "I'm Shannon. Turlis is in my literature class."

"You the girl he…oops…never mind." Chichi gave a sheepish smile.

"Does he talk about me? I think he's just the cutest! I mean, his brother's hot and all, but Turlis! Wow!" Shannon seemed to be able to babble on about his extensively.

"I'm taking a stab in the dark and saying you like him?" Chichi cut in.

"Of course. I wished he liked me back, but that's the way the world turns." Shannon gave a sigh.

"He does, if you want the truth. But don't tell him I told you. He's afraid you don't like him and he'll form a one sided bond and THEN he'll be in major trouble." Chichi explained.

"What's a bond? He's never mentioned that." She frowned, trying to remember.

"It's a telepathic connection that links your very souls together. Not something they like to mess with." Chichi told her softly. "Kakarotto and I share one."

"Wow! That's so romantic!" Shannon now possessed the dreamy look all girls get when they think about that one specific guy that makes their heart tremble.

"I can tell you more, after class." Chichi offered.

"That'd be great!" Shannon agreed. "Thanks so much! I know I sound really ditzy right about now, but I'm not. Usually."

"I didn't think you were. Now, I need to go track down a lab partner…excuse me…and I should probably talk to the teacher too. Later!"

"Chichi! Wait! I could be your lab partner! Mine just moved to another school…just after her parents learned about, you know, Kakarotto and Turlis, and well, I think it's be fun if we worked together. I bet we have a lot in common."

"Great! Now to drag the teacher from whatever he's doing so I can get a seat…That'll take a while won't it." It wasn't a question, they both knew the answer was yes.

"All right! On ward to doom!" Chichi laughed. Shannon smiled.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

"Thank Kyria that's over!" Kakarotto exclaimed happily.

"Tell me about it. I thought I was going to fall asleep…" Turlis yawned.

"So, I heard that Chichi was in Shannon's science class." Kakarotto began.

Turlis shot him a death glare and snorted. "So?"

"Well, as it turns out, she's got a little crush on you as well. I think you two would make such a cute couple." Kakarotto teased.

"Shut up, inoko-chan." Turlis snapped, embarrassed.

"Why?" Kakarotto asked innocently. "I like teasing you."

"I look like an overripe cherry!" Turlis protested.

"So? That's why it's fun!" Kakarotto smirked.

"Shut up." Turlis growled.

"Your back!" The teacher cried out in shock.

"Of course, Mrs. Rosemond. You didn't think we'd never come back to torment you with our art did you?"

"I wondered. It's so great to see you two…" She trailed off and sniffed.

"Kakarotto? Is this our teacher? Why on earth is she crying?" Chichi blinked confused.

"Yes, this is our teacher. She's crying at the thought of our tormenting artwork." Kakarotto grinned.

"Okay…if you say so." Chichi shook her head.

"And you must be his mate! It's so nice to meet you! It's so nice to have them back. Even if they never do what I ask."

"Do so!" Turlis stuck out his touge making the teacher laugh.

"Whatever you say, Turlis." She grinned. The four laughed. It was good to be back.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

"Lunch!!!" Kakarotto made a mad dash from the art room, leaving the teacher in fits of laughter. He never failed to amuse her with his antics. Especially around food. Chichi, going at a slower pace, stopped to talk to the teacher.

"You think this is bad? You should see him before dinner. His father and I do the cooking, and he'll sit there and drool at the stove." Chichi whispered. "The last time it happened, Bardock kicked him out of the kitchen and only the threat of with holding his dinner kept him there." Chichi grinned.

"Really? Hm…I'll have to do art work involving food…" Mrs. Rosemond trailed off, a wicked smirk falling over her features.

"Ah, revenge." Chichi laughed. "You didn't get the idea from me!"

"Of course not! Don't be silly." The teacher smirked. "I was momentarily possessed and the devil made me do it."

"Right. And I'm a pig."

"Well…"

"No comments from the peanut gallery."

"No peanut gallery here."

Chichi merely stuck out her tongue.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Kakarotto was done with his lunch in five and a half minuets exactly. Leah had timed him. Turlis had taken half a second more, but only because his sixteenth sandwich was longer by a half bite. Chichi got to the table in time to see them try to attack her lunch. The girl raised an eyebrow and grabbed the sandwich out of Turlis' hand. She glared at her mate as he eyed her dessert. "Don't even think about it."

"But Chi, I'm still hungry!" He protested half whining.

"Name a time when you aren't. This is my lunch. You ate yours. Go away." She turned her back to them both to try to protect her sandwich.

"Aww, c'mon, Chi. Just a little bite?" Turlis, who sounded eerily like his brother asked.

"No."

"Please."

"No."

"Please?"

"…"

"Please?"

"…"

This continued on for a little while before both boys realized something was up. "Hey, Chi?" Kakarotto asked. "Why not?"

"I've eaten it." She smiled and turned back around. Both Saiya-Jins took on a chagrined look and their friends burst out laughing.

"Where's a camera when you need it, huh?" Shannon asked Leah with a giggle.

"The same place everything else is. Not here." She retorted, causing the other girl to laugh even harder.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

History. The bane of their existence. The most boring class in existence. That was Chichi's opinion anyway. Kakarotto had a bit of a different view on the subject, but he hadn't been learning the same thing over and over for the past ten years. He was almost skipping along until he remembered that this was the class that got him into so much trouble to begin with.

Leah, having a similar opinion to Chichi drug along behind with her friend. "How is he so Cheerful?" Leah demanded of her friend.

"I don't know. He just is. He's trying to cheer me up right now." The other girl scowled. ::Go away. I hate history.::

::But it's fun!:: Kakarotto protested happily.

::Not really, no.::

::Yes it is.::

::No.::

::Chi, cheer up! You'll like our class. He leads debates and…::

::Isn't this what got you into this mess? His debates?::

::Well, yeah, but he's a great guy.::

::Kakarotto, I don't like history. Leave me alone. Misery loves company when the company isn't so cheerful.::

::Grouch.::

::That's right.::

Kakarotto turned just long enough to stick his tongue out and ran slap-bang into Sharpner the fifth.

"Watch it, slave!" He ordered, shoving the Saiya-Jin hard.

Kakarotto stumbled backwards, and caught himself with his ki. "Sorry. Didn't mean to do that." He laughed. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

"A mere slave could not harm the mighty Sharpner." He snorted.

"Not so." Chichi broke in. "If he doesn't watch his strength, he could accident hurt someone pretty badly. He's very good at control, you should thank the Saiya-Jins for having enough discipline to always watch their strength."

"Shut up you whore." He barked.

Kakarotto growled, and may have lunged at the boy, but Chichi put a hand on his arm. "No, his words can't hurt me. He is just a lowlife, after all."

"I am not a low life! I am better than anyone!" Sharpner snorted.

"Highest of the scum. Wow. What an accomplishment." Leah muttered sarcastically.

"You…" Sharpner jumped at the smaller teen. He jerked to a halt in midair.

"I don't think so." Kakarotto, without showing any strain, had grabbed his shirt collar and held him aloft. "Stand down."

"No one insults me and gets away with it!" He struggled to get free.

"This one did."

"Put me down, slave." Sharpner ordered. "I put you back in your place once, I can do it again."

Kakarotto growled. "You can't do it again. I won't let you."

"And how are you going to stop me, huh?" He crossed his arms, stiff held up by Kakarotto's powerful grip.

"I have many ways." He dropped the unsuspecting teen and walked calmly by.

"I get you and your kin! I'll sell you all back into bondage where you belong!" Sharpner yelled. "You'll see! Just you wait!"
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Turlis stepped into math class with a murderous look on his face. Kkarotto had just told him what had happened on his way to history involving Sharpner and the Saiya-Jin was not happy.

"Turlis? What's the matter?" Shannon put her hand on his. He looked at her hand, then up at her. The girl flushed and started to move it.

Turlis placed his other hand on hers and shook his head. "I like it there."

Shannon blushed a deeper red and Turlis laughed. "As for what happened, it is nothing. Don't worry about it."

"I don't want to loose you again." She whispered. "I didn't realize how much you mattered until you were gone."

"Don't worry about me, little one. I can take care of myself." Turlis smiled and stroked her hand with his thumb.

::That's what I'm afraid of.:: Turlis jerked his head up. He had to be loosing his mind There wa sno way he had just heard her voice in his mind. He couldn't be bonding.

::I can't bond with her!:: He thought, frantic.

::Bond?:: It was definitely Shannon.

::Oh bugger! Bugger, bugger, bugger!:: He groaned, trying to keep it to himself.

::Why am I hear Turlis in my thoughts?::

::Bad! So not good! REALLY bad!::

::Turlis?:: She hadn't figured out a thing except that it had to be Turlis talking in her mind.

::Yeah. I'll explain later, okay? It' may take awhile.::

::If you say so.:: Shannon agreed still confused.

::Trust me.::

::Okay.::
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

::KAKAROTTO!:: Turlis half yelled on his way down the hall towards their last class. ::Big problem! Gargantuan problem!::

::What?::

::I've bonded to Shannon!::

::And that is bad why?::

::It just is!:: He yelled.

::Calm down, Yinyan. Deep breaths and tell me the problem.:: Kakarotto instructed.

::I was flirting with Shannon, cuz I've liked her for ages, you know, and all of a sudden, I was hearing her!::

::I see. Well, maybe you were soulmates too?::

::Something. How do I block thoughts from my mate? I can do it when I'm talking to you, but not thinking.::

::Um…picture a wall between the connection you have to her and it should work.::

::Thanks Goku.::

::No problem, Yinyan.::

Chichi shot him a look and Kakarotto laughed. ::Later, I promise.::

:;All right, but you better tell and it better be GOOD!::

::Oh it is. Very good.::

Chichi smirked. Today was a great day. A couple fights, art, band, AND dirt on Turlis. It couldn't get any better. Unless, of course, Sharpner dropped dead. But the day wasn't over QUITE yet!
~*~ ~*~ ~*~

(A/N) Okay, so Vegita has a cute ego problem…but it was funny (I thought). Anyway, Karot-shan (Okay, tell me I'm not the only one who finds this weird. Spelled Karot, said Care-OH.) Well, ne wayz, Karot-chan says that if you flame me, he and Veggie will blast you to HFIL. But, as I told them, you'll just look silly if you flame me. But if you review, I give you s'more! ^_^

Later!

~*~ Lady Foeseeker ~*~