Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Unholy Crusade: Act 1 ❯ The Great Gospel, Part 2 ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Unholy Crusade

Act 1: Reign of Fear

Chapter 11: The Great Gospel, Part 2

((Author's Note: For those who are wondering about my FF7 references, here they are: Chocobo's are found in every FF game except for FF1, The Great Gospel is Aeris's Level 4 limit break but it greatly differs from UC's version, and in Act two there will be a fight scene in a Mako reactor. I may put in more jokes, but the key word is may. Have fun finding my hidden references! ~Masquerade))

Last Chapter of Unholy Crusade:

"Pretty building." Sakura commented.

"Thank you." Mimic smiled. "That is the very heart of the city, where the holocram is strongest. It must be guarded from any harm that may come to it."

"Wait a minute…" Krillin raised a suspicious eyebrow. "What kind of temple is that?"

Mimic lowered her head, hiding it partially by her long, white hair.

"That…is the temple of the Great Gospel."

***

Cell stared down at the city below him from the cliffs.

"Fortunately, for you Selena, the strange power of your aura resides within this city and keeps me out. I can't get to you…

"…for now anyway…

"But, I will find a way inside…

"And you had better be ready…"

^

Zeo and Ace raced through a park of long and tall trees, running for the center of the small forest. Selena hung slightly limp and gasping in their arms as Ace held onto her legs and Zeo held her under her armpits.

They were running through the city park. Trees as thin as street lamps grew off the sides of a stone path, and the canopies sheltered the guardians from the starry sky above. Small swarms of fireflies were the only light, and the sounds of crickets and nightingales slightly disturbed the silence. Soon, the path took them to the center of the small city park.

There was a lake formed in a perfect circle, and lined by marble bricks to keep stollers from accidentally falling in. The lake shimmered slightly as small waves broke on the marble brick walls that contained it, as though it was a small ocean. The waves that glided across the lake's surface shimmered with a pure white light. Anyone new to the sight would have found it awe-inspiring. But Zeo and Ace had seen it thousands of times, and hardly found it spectacular anymore.

"Okay, let's go." Zeo nodded, carrying his side of Selena into the lake. The water came up to his collarbone, so he let Selena float with him. Ace took off his sunglasses and slid in after his friend.

"Sheesh…" Ace shivered as he floated along next to Selena while keeping two fingers in her pants belt loop. "The water's cold, dude!"

"It's always cold." Zeo shook his head. He swam to the center of the lake, keeping one hand under Selena's armpit as he used his free hand to stroke. Soon, they reached the center of the lake, and Zeo went to Ace's side as Selena floated on her back.

"So, where's she wounded?" Zeo scratched his head.

"Uuh…" Selena moaned through her lips. "The back…"

"The back?" Zeo and Ace blinked. They hadn't thought of that. Zeo carefully reached his hand under her shirt and felt her back gingerly. He found the wound, almost the size of his hand, and surprisingly clean.

"Oh my God…" Zeo gasped. "Sel, that's quite a hole you have in your back. I'm amazed you're not dead."

"Me neither." She smiled in relief.

"Well, let's get started." Zeo proposed. "Off with your shirt, Selena."

"I don't think I should…" Selena sighed, one hand pulling the top of her outfit. "It's a one piece."

"Just pull down the top of it." Zeo suggested.

"I really don't think I should…"

"Selena-dude, we've seen you in your bra before, dude." Ace assured.

"I'm not wearing a bra." Selena growled.

The boys looked at each other in alarm. They hadn't seen her without a bra before. They looked back at her.

"Selena, we don't care." Zeo made clear. "Just pull down your top."

"Pervert." Selena growled, glaring at him. "You always have been, Zeo."

"Selena, this isn't the time for that. You're injured and need healing. Pull down your top!"

"Hey, dudes, I got an idea." Ace said, pulling the shirt of his gi off. He handed it to Selena. "Here, Sel, you can cover up your chest with this." Selena smiled, and took the shirt in her hand.

"Thanks, Ace." She sighed, putting the white shirt over her torso, and reaching under it to pull down her top. "Okay, I'm ready."

"Right." Zeo nodded with a rather disappointed look on his face. He floated next to Selena's side, and carefully massaged her wound while whispering an enchantment in a strange language. He took one hand off her wound, and cupped some of the lake water in his hand. He poured some water into Selena's mouth and she swallowed. Ace helped keep Selena's head above the water as Zeo performed the ritual.

Five minutes into the healing, Mimic, Sakura, and Krillin showed up by the lakeside.

"There they are." Mimic smiled. Krillin and Sakura watched on in amazement.

"What are they doing?" Krillin wondered, not able to understand what Zeo was saying as he stroked Selena's back and poured water into her mouth.

"This is the healing ritual for the Sacred Spring." Mimic explained. "They are healing her back and revitalizing her energy."

"Sacred Spring?" Krillin asked, looking at the water. "You mean…this is…"

"Natural sacred water." Mimic nodded. Sakura scooped some up in her hand, but Krillin immediately scolded her.

"Don't drink that!" he snapped at her. She emptied her hands sadly.

"You should listen to your friend, little one." Mimic nodded. "The water will have no affect if you do not need healing. If you are good of health, and the water cannot help you, you can get sick from it."

"Oh." Sakura sighed sadly.

Krillin turned his eyes back to the healing in the middle of the lake.

"So, what happens now?" he wondered. "We just wait?"

"Yes." Mimic nodded. "The wound was rather damaging, it could take Zeo half an hour to fully replenish her."

"Half an hour?" Krillin moaned. Mimic smiled, and put an assuring hand on his bald head.

"How about the two of you come with me? Can I arrange a room for the both of you to stay at? Maybe get the both of you something to eat?"

"Now that you mention it…" Krillin thought out loud, "I am kinda hungry."

"Me too." Sakura moaned.

"Come with me." Mimic motioned, walking away from the lake. "I can get you a place to sleep as well." Krillin and Sakura followed.

But just before Sakura left, she took a look around the lake area one last time. Her eyes traveled up the cliff face barriers that stretched into the sky, and found someone standing on top of one of the cliffs. The silhouette against the sky told her exactly who it was. It was Cell.

He looked down at her and smiled warmly. With a frightened yelp, she ran after Krillin and Mimic, shouting his name. Mimic looked in the direction of the child's frightened finger, and the monster stopped smiling. He glared at the woman, and their gaze locked for a moment.

Suddenly, the woman turned away and kept walking.

"He can't get to us." She assured her guests. "The both of you are safe here."

Cell smiled to himself.

How long will that last, eh?

^

Krillin and Sakura were shown into a small hut made of marble-colored adobe where they could stay the night. The hut had three rooms all with one hallway joining them together: a living room, a bedroom, and a bathroom, each separated by a door. Mimic stopped some of the strange creatures in the streets to go find the city cook and tell him to prepare a dinner for two honored guests. Krillin and Sakura made themselves comfortable on their beds as food came to them. They were given a nice and big plate of several kinds of sushi. Krillin and Sakura took the supplied chopsticks and quickly picked up sushi rolls to stuff happily in their mouths.

Two hours ticked by until Selena was walked into the room with Ace and Zeo escorting behind her. Selena had a towel wrapped around her shoulders.

"Hi guys." She greeted, smiling at them and shivering from the cold. Sakura was so happy to see Selena alive and well that she jumped off her bed and hugged the woman's legs.

"Selena-san!" she cried, rubbing her cheek against Selena's knee. "You're alright." Not wanting to get the little girl wet, Selena just patted the girl's head and walked into the room.

"I'm gonna dry off in the bathroom. Be right out." Then, she looked at the tray where all the sushi had been eaten. "Aw, you guys had sushi! Now I'm hungry."

"We'll get ya some, Sel." Zeo promised.

"Cell?" Krillin blinked. "Hey, why did you call her Cell?"

"That's her nickname." Zeo shrugged. "You got a problem with that, baldy!"

"Hey, Selena-dude!" Ace called before Selena could step into the bathroom. "Who's the little guy? You're new boyfriend?"

"You guys forgot about my vow or what?!" she snapped. "Krillin's not my boyfriend, he's just a friend." Then, she walked into the bathroom and slammed the door behind her.

" 'Vow?' " Krillin wondered as Ace and Zeo walked into the hut.

"She doesn't want a boyfriend." Zeo explained, extending a hand to Krillin. "I remember you now. You were with Mimic-san when she brought Sel back. The name's Crypt Duron, but everyone calls me Zeo."

"She…doesn't want a boyfriend?" Krillin squeaked as he shook the boy's hand.

"Hey, don't get worked up about it. She may not love you, but she'll be a loyal friend of yours as long as she lives."

"And who's he?" Krillin pointed at Ace. Ace tipped his sunglasses.

"Hey dude, I'm Ace Morgan. Nice ta meet you, Krillin-dude."

Krillin and Ace shook hands.

" 'Dude?' " Krillin blinked.

"He's a surfer from California." Zeo explained. Ace grinned and made a peace sign.

"And what does 'Zeo' mean?"

"I made that word up." The boy confessed. "It shouldn't be in the dictionary, it just sounds cool."

"Whatever." Krillin made a flat face. "So you guys are the four guardians?"

"Yeah, dude!" Ace cheered. "Whadaya think?"

"So, who's the fourth?"

"Who, Preacher?" Selena answered, walking out of the bathroom while combing her fingers through her wet hair. "I guess you could call him our leader. He's the oldest, strongest, fastest, and most skilled of the four of us. His real name is Sho Kitsune. We call him 'Preacher' because he practices every religion known to man."

"Where is he?" Sakura asked, seeing only Ace and Zeo in the room.

"He guards the temple in the center of town." Selena answered. "Which reminds me, I have to talk to him. But first, I need a change of clothes…" Then, she remembered her Capsule Case, and she barked a word that made even the boys cringe.

"Dude!" Ace cried in surprise. "Watch the vocab around the kids, Sel!"

"No bad words, Selena-san!" Sakura scolded.

"MY CAPSULE CASE!" Selena shouted, about to storm out of the house. "I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT IT OUT IN THE FIELDS!"

"Selena, don't worry!" Krillin calmed in alarm, reaching one hand into the folds of his orange gi. "I picked it up while you and Cell were fighting." He held it out for her to see. "See? Here it is."

"GIMME!" Selena shouted, snatching the case from his hand so suddenly and with such strength that Krillin's hand stung. As he nursed his hand, Selena rushed back into the bathroom and slammed the door.

Zeo looked at Krillin.

"Preacher may be our best fighter, but Selena scares us the most." He explained. "We hide under our beds every twenty-eight days when she's in town."

Krillin had to laugh. He knew what they meant.

When Selena got mad, anyone in her way was blown over.

Worse than Vegeta…

^

Atop several flights of marble stairs, sitting on a high hill and looming over the whole Sacred City was the canopy that housed the flat platform of gray marble that was the temple of the Great Gospel. Under the canopy was a small, bubbling fountain of Sacred Water that flowed into an ankle-deep pool. Preacher wasn't looking at the fountain and it's subtle beauty. He just stared at the stars in the sky from a carved balcony, and listened to the trickle of flowing water behind him.

Preacher, 25 years old, with short black hair and a stone hard face, was well respected in the Sacred City with his noble job and exquisite abilities. He was the first of Mimic-san's pupils and had known her for the longest than any of the four guardians. He always dressed in his master's traditional black gi and white undershirt tied with a red obi. He also had a white bandana tied around his head, leaving long tails of cloth flowing down his back. Many of the female creatures of the city found him very attractive, but he shrugged them off. He made a vow of abstinence when he was fifteen, and had no interest in women.

He heard footsteps climbing up the stairway, and he turned his head to the temple entrance to see who was visiting. When the head peeked past the marble-lined horizon, he smiled at the familiar face.

"Selena-san." He identified warmly. "Welcome back." Selena, dressed in a rather tight blue T-shirt and blue jeans, smiled at him.

"Long time, no see, Preach." She greeted back. "Everything going okay?"

"Yes." He nodded. "How have your travels been?"

"Good until recently." She admitted, walking towards him. He nodded in agreement.

"So I heard from Mimic-san. The monster of Nikki Town is chasing you?"

Selena smirked at that.

"So, that's what they're calling him?" she wondered, walking out to the balcony and standing next to him. "Why Nikki Town? He attacked Ginger Town first, and disasters are usually named after the place they struck first."

"True." Preacher nodded. "But according to the news, there were surviving civilians who escaped Ginger Town, including the army that tried to destroy the creature. In Nikki Town, no one survived. Not one soul."

"How sad…" Selena pitied, looking up into the stars.

Preacher blinked at her suspiciously.

"Alright, why are you up here? I have a feeling you wanted to say more to me than just 'Hello.' "

Selena lowered her head in guilt, and turned her eyes to the small fountain built into the temple floor. Watching the water shimmer with the white glow as it bubbled from the floor made her eyes water slightly. Yes, she did come here for a reason. She wanted the Sacred City's most powerful weapon. She walked to the fountain, and stood by the edge of the circle.

"So, let me get this straight…" she began, "You step in the center of the pool…" She looked up at the ceiling. "…and you stand straight and raise your arms in the air…" She reached one hand up to the air in simulation. "…and you chant the proper chant…then a white light beams from the sky and transforms you into a holy creature capable of destroying all the evil on Ear…"

"You came here to summon the Gospel so you can use it to destroy that monster?!" Preacher roared at her. She glared at him.

"What's wrong with that?" she snapped.

"It doesn't need to be used." He explained angrily.

Selena angrily got in his face.

"What do you mean it doesn't need to be used. People are dying!"

"There are others taking care of the problem. They are stronger than this monster, and can kill it by themselves."

"Then why isn't Cell dead yet?!" Selena shouted. "Preacher, we gotta whack him and we gotta whack him now! With the Gospel! It can kill him!"

"YES, IT CAN!" Preacher roared over her, making her gasp and fall quiet. "But," he continued more softly, "it would be a waste…especially since others have the power to take care of the monster. So, its name is Cell? Are you trying to kill it because it stole your nickname?"

"Oh, shut up." Selena narrowed her eyes. "So, you're saying that it's not necessary to summon the Gospel to kill the monster? Why is that so?"

"Just because we have the power doesn't mean we can use it." Preacher explained. "It would be like dropping a nuclear bomb on a ground war. A waste. We don't need the Gospel…at least, not yet…"

" 'Not yet?' " Selena shivered in anger. "Oh, so we'll need it later, but we won't need it now? The hell, Preacher?!"

"The creature named Cell is killing humans for their energy which make it stronger with each attack, yes?" he asked, walking away from her and back to his balcony. She faced his back.

"Yeah, that's pretty much it." She nodded.

"Well, once it becomes too strong, then we will use the Gospel to destroy it. Let those who are doing their job try to finish it. If they can kill the monster themselves, you will thank me later for not summoning the Gospel and wasting their time."

"Hmph." Selena snorted, heading for the stairs. "It's more like they're wasting my time…and you're making a mistake, Preach."

Preacher sighed.

"Incredible." He scolded, turning his head to her back as she walked down the stairs. "You haven't changed a bit. So head strong and overconfident, and your ego is as big as ever!"

"You should talk." She sighed, putting her hands behind her head as she walked. Preacher shook his head and leaned against the balcony rail.

"I just can't stand her sometimes… Shikimi-kun…"

^

Selena went to her own hut to sleep. She found that it was just the way she left it four years ago. She flopped on the bed and instantly went to sleep.

The next morning, she awoke to the sounds of the bustling city. She got up and stretched sleepily. After rubbing her eyes and slipping off the bed to her feet, she walked out of the hut to go find Krillin and Sakura. She found them in the hut that Mimic-san arranged for them, said her "good morning"s and took the Capsule Case into the bathroom to change.

She came out of the bathroom wearing the black gi and white undershirt that was the Four Guardian's uniform. She had tied her hair back behind her in a low ponytail and left two long bangs framing her face. Tatami sandals adorned her feet, and her ki staff was strapped to her back. She was all smiles that morning too.

"Can I order you guys breakfast?" she offered Krillin and Sakura. "The city cooks will make anything you want."

"Really?" Krillin asked in delight.

Yes! No more instant oatmeal!

"Scrambled eggs!" Sakura cried out happily. "And banana ice cream!"

Selena chuckled.

"I'll see what I can do about the scrambled eggs." She decided, walking out of the hut and into the city street. The city eatery was to the far north of town, so she walked with the direction of the pedestrian traffic. The rather primitive Sacred City had no vehicles or the latest in Earth technology, so it was relatively quiet and had little pollution. Selena did love it here…

But I left to see the world…

And the last couple of days gave me more than I bargained for…

Her eyes rested on the temple of the Great Gospel as she walked past it.

The one reason I came here was for the Gospel, not just protection from Cell.

I don't care what Preacher says, we need it desperately.

It's the only way to kill Cell once and for all…

She narrowed her eyes at her determination.

I'm going to get my hands on it sooner or later…

…and no one is going to stop me from using it!

^

Cell watched her from the cliffs above the city. She was moving to the far north of town in some kind of hurry. She seemed to be in deep thought about something. He noticed her looking at the temple in the center of town, and he looked at it too. The sacred power keeping him out of the city (and even flying to close to the streets and building tops) was much stronger in the temple. He could see a young man inside, staring into a pool of water carved into the temple floor. Then the man looked up at Cell, and stared the monster in the eyes.

He can see me…

Cell narrowed his eyes at the man, and the man just looked away.

So, if that is the center of the field…

He brainstormed a few ideas for destroying the temple, but later rejected all of them.

No good. I must discover what God this temple is dedicated to before I destroy it.

He chuckled to himself.

I don't want to enrage a fellow God…

To be continued…

END OF EPISODE BONUS!

More theme songs by Ayumi Hamasaki!

Krillin's Theme: "Hana"

tatoeba ima kyuu ni koko kara sugata wo keshitara
hitori kurai sagasou to shite kuretari shimasu ka
mitsukaru made hito ha yasashii mono to
shinjinagara matte te ii no desu ka

otona ni natte iku koto to
mujaki na kodomo de iru no ha
docchi ga tsurai koto desu ka
sonna shitsumon ha yamemashou
anata ga saku no nara

hito gomi de afure kaesu kono machi ni ita nara
hitori kurai kiku mimi motte kuretari shimasu ka
tsudsuite iku itsu made mo owaranai
kono sakebi ha dare ka ni todokimasu ka

itsu ka chiru koto shirinagara
aisarete tada utsukushiku
massugu ni nobite iku no ha
donna yuuki ga irimasu ka

otona ni natte iku koto to
mujaki na kodomo de iru no ha
docchi ga tsurai koto desu ka
sonna shitsumon ha yamemashou
anata ga saku no nara

itsu ka chiru koto shirinagara
fumarete mo tada hokorashiku
massugu ni nobite iku no ha
donna chikara ga irimasu ka

sugita hibi furi kaeru no to
ashita ni kitai wo suru no ha
docchi ga kowai koto desu ka
sonna shitsumon ha yamemashou
anata ga saku no nara

Translation

For instance, if I quickly ran away now,
would you search for me?
Until I'm found, is it ok to wait while believing
that people are kind?

Becoming an adult,
or staying an innocent child;
which one is worse?
Let's stop asking those questions.
If you bloom.

If we were in this city overflowing with people,
would you listen to me?
Will this never-ending
shout reach anyone?

While you know that you'll wither eventually,
you're loved, still beautifully.
What kind of bravery do you need
to grow straight and tall?

Becoming an adult,
or staying an innocent child;
which one is worse?
Let's stop asking those questions.
If you bloom.

While you know that you'll be scattered sometime,
even if you're stepped on you're still proud.
What kind of strength do you need
to grow straight and tall?

Looking back at the days past,
or having hope for tomorrow,
which one is scarier?
Let's stop asking those questions.
If you bloom.

Sakura's Theme: "Teddy Bear"

anata ha mukashi iimashita
mezamereba makuramoto niha
suteki na purezento ga
oite aru yo to
kami wo nadenagara

aikawarazu sono senaka ha
chiisaku tayorinakute
dakedo tanoshii hanashi nara
waraiaete ita

sore nanoni hito ha doushite
onaji you na ayamachi
ato nando kurikaeshitara
koukai dekiru no

omoidashite iru
houmutta hazu no
itsuka no yoru

anata ha mukashi iimashita
mezamereba makuramoto niha
suteki na purezento ga
oite aru yo to
kami wo nadenagara

watashi ha kitai ni hazumu mune
kakaenagara mo nemuri ni tsukimashita
yagate otozureru yoake wo
kokoromachi ni shite

mezameta watashi no makuramoto
ookina kumo no nuigurumi imashita
tonari iru hazu no anata no
sugata to hikikae ni

anata ha mukashi iimashita
mezamereba makuramoto niha
suteki na purezento ga
oite aru yo to
kami wo nadenagara

Translation

You once said long ago
while stroking my hair,
"When you wake up, there'll be
a nice present waiting for you
by your pillow."

You weren't always
there for me,
but we could laugh together
at funny stories.

But how can people regret
mistakes that they keep making
over and over again?

I remember now...
that night I thought
I had buried.

You once said, long ago
while stroking my hair,
"When you wake up there'll be
a nice present waiting for you
by your pillow."

I lay sleeping with my arms
crossed around my chest,
looking forward to the morning.

When I woke up, I found
by my pillow a teddy bear...
in place of you.

You once said, long ago
while stroking my hair,
"When you wake up there'll
be a nice present waiting for
you by your pillow."

Geez! Japanese romantizations are such a bitch on the spell check!

So what kind of bonus will I have for you next chapter? I'm not so sure myself. So keep reading Unholy Crusade! See ya in chapter 12!