Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Wish For The Past ❯ Breakfast - Saiyan Style ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: *waves Trunks's sword around* Trunks won't sell me his sword, but he's letting me borrow it. *nearly chops her own head off* Whoops... er... maybe that wasn't such a good idea. *hands the sword back to Mirai Trunks* What? Did you say something Trunks? Oh! I'm supposed to be writing a disclaimer! *grins the famous Son Grin (TM)* I don't own DBZ. I don't own Trunks. But Trunks is always welcome to stay at my house! Anyway, the only things I own here are the story and any characters I make up.

Wish For The Past
(Breakfast - Saiyan Style)

Slumping into one of the two available chairs, Bardock stared at Goten as the boy tried to put the pots and pans back under the sink. Every clatter and clang the kid made reverberated within Bardock's skull. It's a good thing, Bardock mused silently, that I didn't have that stiff drink I wanted last night. No need for a hangover made worse by the noise my grandson is making. Grandson. Ha! Poor Kakarot. If he has to put up with this on an everyday basis, he has my sympathies.

Since he was already awake, Bardock decided he might as well get breakfast started. He wasn't exactly much of a cook, but he at least knew enough to keep from starving or poisoning himself. Fingering the still-sore lump on his head, he set out some bread, fruit, a bowl of raw meat, a pitcher of juice, and some kind of soft grain. Saiyan-sized proportions, of course, and enough to feed the both of them. He didn't know what most of it was, but he didn't really care. Food was food.

"C'mon, Kakarot," he said. Gotta get used to calling him that. "Eat some breakfast."

The chibi all-too-willingly complied, hastily shoving the last pot into the depths of the cupboard it had come from. Manners flew out the window as both Saiya-jin began to stuff their faces with wild abandon. Manners held little meaning to the warrior race. Goten paused in his gorging when he saw the bowl of meat. A look of disgust crossed his face. "You eat that raw?" In answer, the older Saiyan reached over, grabbed a hunk of the bloody flesh, and popped it into his mouth.

"Whash wong wiff rahw?" (Translation: What's wrong with raw?)

"Kaasan always cooks meat." Goten made a face as his grandfather swallowed.

"You're on Vegeta-sei, kid. Saiya-jin eat their meat raw, which means you will, too, while you're here. Try it. It's good." Bardock proffered the bowl of meat to his grandson. The demi-saiyan only wrinkled his nose and pulled away. Bardock sighed in frustration, feeling yet another headache coming. "Look, son," he said, pulling his new 'father rank' in an attempt to get the boy to listen to him, "while you live with me, you're going to have to get used to doing things differently. And you'll have to learn to obey me as if I was your father, remember?" Goten nodded reluctantly. "So, as your father, I'm telling you to eat that meat like any other Saiya-jin would. Now." The sternness in the older Saiyan's voice left no doubt that he would shove the stuff down Goten's throat if necessary.

Goten picked up a piece of meat and slowly brought it to his mouth. Just think of it as sushi, or something. Sushi's raw fish, so this can't be that different. Right? He quickly chewed and swallowed. Surprisingly, his grandpa was right. It was good, if a little messy. But since Goten had never been one to care about cleanliness, that wasn't much of a problem for him. He reached for another piece of meat.

Nodding in satisfaction, Bardock returned to his own meal.

After the two finished eating and had unceremoniously dumped the dishes in the sink, to be washed later, Bardock stood up and said, "I'm going to get dressed. Then we can go out and find something a little more... appropriate... for you to wear." He eyed the soiled orange gi that Goten been wearing since he'd wished himself into the past. It wasn't really orange, anymore. Mud, moss, grass stains, and food covered the stained the material to the point that its original color was difficult to guess. They also covered the boy underneath, Bardock noticed. "But before we can go out, you need to take a bath." Most Saiyans didn't much care about hygiene, but there was no need for his 'son' to look like he'd just crawled through a forest and then landed in a bowl of stew face first. Which might not be far from the truth.

"Okay, dad!" Goten happily agreed.

Bardock left Goten to his own devices, so he could shower and dress himself. A nice hot shower would feel pretty good right about now. He tossed a towel into the corner of the bathroom and proceeded to remove the rest of his clothing before stepping into the shower. The steaming liquid running down his face and his broad, muscled shoulders seemed to help relieve the tension headache that had been forming ever since he'd first had the vision of Frieza destroying Vegeta-sei. Bardock smirked. Tough luck, Frieza. You got beaten by a mere 'monkey,' and a child, no less! Ha!

I sure am glad that vision didn't turn out to be true.

~*~

Goten was pondering what to do while Bardock cleaned up when someone knocked on the door to the apartment. The chibi hesitated, looking in the direction of the bathroom. His 'father' hadn't said whether or not he should answer the door if someone knocked.

"Come on, Bardock, it's me, Raisu!" a muffled voice called from the other side of the door, followed by another period of pounding on the door.

Well, kaasan always said it was rude to keep a guest waiting at the door, and since Bardock was busy, it was up to him to greet whoever this Rice person was. Brushing off some of the food that stuck to his gi in a futile attempt to make himself presentable, Goten ambled over to the door and opened it by pressing a button on the side. The door swusshed open to reveal a tall man, though he wasn't as tall as Bardock. His skin was deeply tanned and scarred from many battles and his hair was spiky, shoulder length stuff that made his head look like the back of a hedgehog. The comparison brought a smile to Goten's face.

The Saiyan, Raisu, fixed his surprised black eyes on the younger Saiyan. "Huh? Who the hell are you? And where's Bardock?"

"I'm Kakarot!" the kid said cheerily. "Bardock's my dad. He's in the shower."

Raisu frowned and took another look at the boy, noting his dirty gi, his height, and, most importantly, his strong resemblance to Bardock. "When did one of Bardock's kids start living with him? Last I heard, he was living alone and ranting to anyone who would listen that Frieza was going to destroy the planet."

"Uhhh..." Goten blinked. "Well, I just got here yesterday." The kid placed one hand behind his head and grinned. "We're gonna go shopping after I take a bath."

Before Raisu could ponder on the way the conversation was going, Bardock emerged from the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist which his tail held up by curling around it. His hair dripped water all over the floor as he padded barefoot towards the bedroom. He stopped when he noticed the other Saiyan standing in the door, talking to Goten. "Huh? Raisu? What are you doing here?"

The other Saiya-jin gave one last look at the Bardock look-alike before devoting his whole attention to Bardock himself. "I just wanted to know how the hell you knew Frieza was going to destroy Vegeta-sei. And what happened up there? Where's Frieza now?" Raisu leaned against the door frame casually, brushing an invisible speck of dirt from his spotless Saiyan armor.

Bardock risked a glance at Goten, frowning. How was he going to explain this one? "Well, as to how I knew what that bastard had planned, it's because of that last mission I was on. The one to Kanassa-sei. Some alien there cursed me with foreseeing the fate of my world and not being able to do anything about it. I was pretty freaked out myself when I realized the bakayaro wasn't kidding around. And Frieza?" Oh boy, what do I say? I can't very well tell him the truth! "I don't know," he lied smoothly. "The Death Ball was bounced back by something and it hit Frieza. My guess is he's in Hell now, cursing the day he ever laid eyes on this planet." Good. Claim ignorance and maybe you can get out of this one without telling him what really happened.

Raisu scowled, not satisfied with the answer. "Something 'bounced back' Frieza's attack? Why do I find that hard to believe?" he asked in a sarcasm laden voice.

"Well, how else would you explain how Frieza's own attack killed him, baka?" Bardock glared. Raisu wasn't exactly a friend. More of a 'friendly' acquaintance. And Bardock didn't take kindly to being interrogated like this, although it was to be expected, given that he had known of the impending betrayal by Frieza and had been the only one to survive the actual assault on Frieza's troops. "Just because I was there doesn't mean I know everything." Which was true, in a sense. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tend to my son." Bardock took hold of his 'son's' shoulders and guided him away from the door. A jab at the door's button caused it to shut in the other Saiya-jin's annoyed face. Bardock didn't care. Raisu could go to Hell as far as he was concerned.

"In the tub, now." The older man's face softened as he looked at his grandson. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't open that mouth of his and try to 'help' me explain what happened. He plugged the tub's drain and allowed the steaming water to fill it while Goten stripped.

~*~

Please review! I love hearing from you guys! ^_^