Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Illusia - Her Story 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1

My name is Illusia.

I am an image of a human, a mere shell of a human. I am a shapeshifter, a changeling.

My original form is known only to four beings in this whole universe. For another thing, I am not sixteen years old. My date of birth is unknown, as is the year. But one thing is certain; from the moment of my appearance, even as a small child, I have been ageless.

To understand further, continue to follow me.

I am not human. I am a combination of the energy of the four elements of nature:

My father was a wolf, Guardian of Earth.

My mother was a dolphin, Guardian of Water.

My grandmother, an eagle - Guardian of Thunder.

Grandfather, a bear - Guardian of Fire.

Now please do allow me to clarify something… I was not born, but created by these great beings.

I shall tell you about each of my creators in turn if you choose to listen.

My father was not just a wolf. He was Aleut, the eternal White Wolf. He met my mother in a vision and fell in love with her. Determined to be with her, he came down from his high mountain in the North. He made himself appear to be nothing more than a loveable stray white wolf-dog and began his quest for his only love. His journey was treacherous, but at the end of a millennium, he found his bride.

In his human form, Aleut resembled a seasoned warrior. His entire body was finely shaped with muscle. Scars from far too many battles crisscrossed his arms. A single slash scar ran across his cheekbone, just under his right eye. Long, silvery-white hair hung straight to his broad shoulders. Eyes that had been a warm golden-brown as a wolf turned to icy grey, like cold lead. Brilliantly white teeth, including two long fangs on top and bottom, which were seldom bared as a wolf, were usually half-exposed in an angry-looking snarl. His muscular, scar-covered arms were most often folded across his chest, giving him the appearance of being constantly annoyed. He appeared quite formidable as indeed he was.

My mother’s normal form was that of a beautiful blue bottlenose dolphin, but she was a shapeshifter too. It is from her that I assume my human form, though I look absolutely nothing like her. I am her namesake. She was Queen Illusia of the Water. All creatures of the oceans, streams, lakes, and rivers feared and respected her. But she was a fair and gentle ruler who used little force and even then only in times of absolute necessity.

I can remember only a very little bit about the few times I visited my mother’s underwater court in the Water Palace at the bottom of the Gerhanah River.

As a human, Queen Illusia was beauty uncontested. She was tall and slim, with long raven-black hair that shone like diamonds. Her eyes, in any form, were always a deep sapphire. The only time I saw her in human form, she was wearing a close-fitting sapphire-blue dress with a sweeping skirt. It had no sleeves, so her milky white shoulders were barely visible under her deep blue velvet cloak. Her voice was low and musical. It was like notes from a clarinet, low but light. She was devoted to Aleut as he was devoted to her.

My grandmother was a great golden bald eagle who ruled over the skies with talons of iron. I simply called her Grandmamma. I would assume the form of an eagle sometimes to go and watch the skies with her. Grandmamma taught me to fly and dive gracefully. Her golden eyes held a severe light and a harsh fire. They softened only when she turned those deep, golden orbs on me. Although as old as time itself, she appeared to be in the prime of her life. She ruled and guarded the wind and the thunder all her life.

My Grandmother, though she was as old as the thunder in the sky, did not look her years when she was human either. She did not appear to be a day over thirty, a beautiful golden-haired Amazoness who carried a solid gold bow and a quiver of golden lightning bolts. Everything about her was golden. A golden-tanned complexion and regal bearing gave her the appearance of a warrior queen. Her flowing gold dress somehow managed to never become an impediment to her movement, so she could shoot her lightning bolts or fight with her Thunder Sword at any time. She was the greatest warrior of all time and her name was Electras.

The last of my creators was Grandfather Bear, though he was more like a second father to me. A huge Kodiak, he was eleven feet tall and well over seven hundred pounds in weight. This mighty lord lived alone in a cave, guarding a pit of fire. When I was a young child, Grampa Bear would take me fishing and berry-hunting. In the late spring, when it was time for the salmon to run, I would ride on his back and catch the fish as he flipped them up in the air. In the summer, we would play and wrestle in the green of the forest. In the fall, we would help the squirrels gather nuts and harry the beavers as they scrambled for wood. As fall froze into winter, he retired to his cave to guard his fire.

Grandfather Bear was the Guardian of Fire – Pyros. His human form also did not look its age. His appearance was just as impressive as that of Aleut, though very much less frightening. Long flaming-red hair was gathered into a rather messy ponytail at the base of his neck and hung to the middle of his back. Soft, sparkling red-brown eyes were always dancing with laughter and a good-natured smile always played on his mouth. Though taller than Aleut, Pyros was quite slender in build. Finely sculpted arms and the grace of his movements gave testimony to his quiet strength.

Of all my Creators, I believe I may have been closest to him… Either him or Aleut… I was always a daddy’s girl…

You may wonder why I speak of all this as the distant past… Allow me to explain.

You see, in creating me, the four Elements gave up the immortality of their animal bodies. I am immortal, but they were not. I speak of them in the past because there they are and there so they shall always be. Each of them in turn met their mortal end. All of them at the hands of dreadful creatures called humans.

I have told you that each of my creators has met their untimely end. Each time, it hurt my heart worse than the time before. But I have not told you how or when. The demise of each of my creators came as a devastating shock. Why, I had grown up in the company of these creatures! They were my family!

I had seen death before. I had seen Grandmother Eagle catching mice or fish. I had seen birds caught by wildcats. Each time I experienced a death, I would cry. Sometimes I would cry for days. Aleut, my father, would always explain to me how life, death and renewal kept the balance in the universe.

Still, I could not understand why my family had to be taken away from me to keep that balance.