Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Illusia - Her Story 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2

Grandfather Bear was the first to be taken from me.

It happened when the first humans came to Kerahneeah, the land which the humans now call North America.

The creatures saw Grandfather Bear and all began to jabber. They pulled sharp sticks from the leather packs they carried. These sticks were their most lethal weapons, as we soon found out, to our cost.

The savages hurled the sharp sticks at poor Grandfather Bear. Of course, he was more than twice as tall as any of them and ten times as strong. He slung his sharp five-inch-long claws at the babbling apes, killing several of them. They threw rocks at him, so he struck back with three-inch fangs.

Some of these nasty creatures - I can only assume they were males - were leering disgustingly at me with a strange hunger in their eyes. It scared me. I didn’t know why they were looking at me like that.

Fearing for my safety, Grampa Bear told me to assume the form of a mountain lion, run and hide somewhere.

“Little Lady, remember what I told you! RUN!”

“But where do I - ”

“RUN!”

As I had been taught, I obeyed instantly, not even bothering to hide while I transformed. My transformation confused and frightened the rabble, allowing Grandfather Bear to take the offensive. He charged the scrambling hordes with a mighty thunder in his stride, but they were too small and fast. They nimbly hopped out of the way of the raging bear, going this way and that.

I heard a terrible roar and stopped in my tracks. Unable to control myself or my powers, I suddenly transformed back to a human. I turned and fell to my knees as the entire forest shook and rumbled as if the earth would split in half.

Then it stopped.

All was silent.

I ran back to the site of the battle only in time to see the horrible, babbling apes dragging away the lifeless body of Grandfather Bear. It was horrible. There was blood everywhere. Many of the sharp sticks still protruded from his body at all angles. Worst of all, his gentle red-brown eyes were frozen open in fear to see it all.

I screamed and fell to my knees once again, finally blacking out…