Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Illusia - Her Story 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5

“My dear Queen, your words defy logic! Now… Please calmly explain. What has happened on the Gerhanah, my love?”

Aleut quickly and silently transformed into his wolf body as he rushed to his beloved Queen’s side.

“Oh Aleut! It… it’s horrible… Strange creatures attacked the River Palace! Our armies were slaughtered… Even out alligator guards were no match for them!”

Aleut’s warm brown wolf’s eyes betrayed no emotion, though his brow was furrowed as if he were deep in thought.

“And do you know what our enemies did?” Queen Illusia continued, seeming to be very, very close to tears. “They skinned the otters, took only their fur and left our brave warriors to rot! They took the heads, feet and skin of the alligators too!”

She bowed her head.

“The palace is destroyed… I am only glad they have been unable to locate the Water Gem… I’m sure that was what they were after… If those creatures, whatever they are, manage to get their paws – No, I could not rightly call them paws – on the Water Gem, it would mean my end… Remember… The Gem is inside me… In my heart…”

Her wolf knees buckled, her sapphire eyes swam, her canine tongue lolled from limp jaws and she sank to the floor of the cave in a dead faint.

Aleut turned to a pair of does and began barking orders.

“You, does. Help her to a safe place and try to talk to her. Remember every word she says. Anything she says could be of use. GO!”

“Yes…”

The two does, accompanied by a huge stag, hoisted the limp wolf to her feet and they tottered, in a rather wobbly fashion, out of the cave.

“Ah! Now I see why they wanted Grandfather Bear!”

This was my first addition to the council.

“He must have had the Fire Gem inside of him! Now I know why I have seen smoke coming from the human camps! Only Grandfather Bear could make fire, because he had the Gem… Now that they have it, they can make fire!”

“You are correct, dearest daughter,” Aleut said gravely. “Each of your Creators holds an Elemental Gem concealed in their heart. It is our life force. When Seeing Tortoise told us that the humans were growing in power, we decided there was no alternative… You see, each of the Elemental Gems will survive only in its own Element. The Water Gem would not survive in a being of Fire. The Fire Gem could not survive in a being of Earth and so forth. They would survive in a being of combined energy, but they would be much weaker. Since each Creator is pure in our own Element, one Gem could survive at its full strength in each of us…”

Cold reality hit me square in the chest, piercing my heart.

“But that means… Oh Pappa Wolf, you can’t! Grandmamma! Don’t let him!”

I wailed hysterically as tears streamed down my face, spattering my silver dress with dark spots.

“There, there Little Lady… Grandmamma is here for you,” crooned Grandmother Eagle.

She folded her golden cape around me as I cried.

“Lovely daughter, you must try to understand,” said Aleut, resting a great white paw on my shoulder. “This is the only way Kerahneeah will be safe… Dear-one, it is time you learned… One day, you will no longer be our Little Lady. You are the Supreme Princess Illusia of the Planet Heart. You were created to one day rule Kerahneeah with the power of all the Gems. We four Creators, though we are only three now, love you dearly. We remaining three will live until it is time to pass the Gems to you. Unless…”

“Pappa Wolf! You don’t mean…”

I was afraid to finish…

My Pappa Wolf pulled me close to him in a canine version of a fatherly hug. I cried bitterly into his thick white fur.

“Yes, my dearest one. I am afraid I do. Unless we are destroyed, as Grandfather Bear was, we will reign in our beloved Kerahneeah until it is time for you to rise up and take your place as the Supreme Queen of Kerahneeah, Illusia of the Planet Heart. Even if something should happen to us, do not fret. Our spirits will remain in Kerahneeah as long as the Gems do. Our spirits are sealed inside them. If our Gems should be taken out of Kerahneeah, our spirits will depart with them. If that happens, it will be your duty to hunt down the Gems and bring them and us back to our dear Kerahneeah. Do you understand me Illusia? ”

I looked up to find the icy grey eyes of Aleut’s human form softening as they looked back down at me. I felt warm arms around me and I felt myself being lifted gently off the ground. He was holding me as if I were still a small child. His grip was like the grip of a man who has found something very precious to him and is holding it tight to ensure he will not lose it.

There were tears in his gunmetal eyes. I had never seen Aleut cry before. It scared me beyond belief. A single tear escaped from his eye.

“Yes, Pappa Wolf… But call me Little Lady…”

And I went limp in his arms, almost unconscious.

“My little one, I am so sorry… I’m sorry I must leave you so soon… Just know this, my darling daughter: I love you…”

Aleut’s shoulders shook and his chest shuddered with the force of his sobs, though he tried to keep them muffled. I was barely aware of anything except that my Pappa Wolf was crying and that I was all too painfully aware of. I didn’t flinch as another tear fell on my cheek, then another and another, but I know that a lone tear escaped from my eye as well.

He carried me into the small room I had napped in when I was a small girl. I looked around blearily to see that it was quite different now. Everything was either silver or a shade of lavender, where before everything had been white or pink. My Pappa Wolf squeezed me tightly one last time and laid me on a lavender bed with a gauzy canopy covering. After one last kiss on my forehead, I heard him whisper something in my ear…

“Until we find each other again, farewell Illusia, my dear Little Lady…”

Aleut shook his head and quietly left the room. He dismissed the council and retired to confer with Grandmother Eagle. I remember that as he left, I heard him sobbing in earnest. Somehow, I think he may not have been conferring with Grandmother Eagle. I think he was crying with her.