Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Illusia - Her Story 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9

I woke to the sound of a lone coyote’s howl. The smell of burning hair stung my sensitive dog’s nose. I discovered upon closer inspection that I had slept too close to the fire and singed my fur!

Shaking off the charred ends, I stretched my legs and yawned, revealing flashing white fangs.

The coyote’s howl had sounded close. As I poked my grizzled grey snout out of the tree, I nearly gagged. The smell of rotting flesh was overpowering and having a dog’s impeccable sense of smell was not helping.

I should have known.

The scavengers were coming to clean up the mess.

I wormed my canine body out of the tree. It had been much easier when I only had two legs and was much thinner. Once out, I looked and listened for the lone coyote, my sensitive canine’s ears pricked. I heard his now-familiar howl once more.

Good. I thought. He’s still alone. He could very well prove to be a valuable ally. After all, the forest is his home. He must know it like the pads of his left front paw…

I saw him between two thickly-leafed trees. I could see his long snout and deep brown eyes, flashing with mischief. He just wanted to play!

How could anyone think of fun at a time like this? I thought.

I decided that I was going to have to play along if I wanted his help… He trotted up, looking me over. I dropped into a canine play-bow and yapped at him. He picked up a stick and gave me a look that said quite plainly “Chase me!”. He turned and ran, his tail wagging. I gave a short bark and tore after him. We clipped along through the trees at a dead sprint, dodging and jumping.

When we were both panting and out of breath, I turned and ducked behind a boulder, hoping he would follow me.

Obligingly, he did so.

I made sure he was watching me and I began to transform back into a human.


As lavender light glowed around me, my dog’s paws lengthened, lost their fur, expanded and turned into human hands and feet. My dog’s legs straightened out, grew longer, lost their fur as well and turned into human arms and legs. My tail grew translucent at the tip, worked its way down and disappeared at my rear. I spun around slowly as the fur fell off my body and burned in lavender flame.

My snout grew shorter and my whiskers fell off. My ears grew shorter and less pointy, losing their fur as well. The fur fell off my face. My teeth shortened and regained their multi-cusped surfaces.

I was back in my human form and quite without clothing. I landed softly in front of a bush, very much unaware of my state of clothing, or lack thereof. I raised a hand to the sky and shouted…

“Planet Heart Transforming ILLUSION!”

As my unclothed form was engulfed in soft lavender clouds and rose into the air again, long lavender bolts of cloth began swirling around me as I spun slowly. Swirling wisps of lavender smoke whirled around my torso and a lavender bodice appeared. I slowly extended my arms to the side and shiny lavender nail polish appeared on my already-long fingernails. I raised one knee and short lavender boots with three-inch heels appeared on my feet. Lavender silk waved around my waist, forming a swirling mid-thigh-length skirt.

I looked down at my new appearance. I didn’t exactly look like a princess, as I did in the silver dress I always wore… I looked more like one of Grandmother Eagle’s Warriors of Thunder in human form. A short skirt, form-fitting but non-restrictive bodice, boots and - most interesting of all – a long knife that hung in a silver sheath at my side.

Embedded in the silver handle of the knife was a small jewel heart. The top left quarter was an emerald. The top right was a sapphire. The bottom right and left, respectively, were a topaz and a ruby. The center was a tiny star made of diamond. It seemed familiar, but the haunting memories hung just out of reach in the back of my mind.

As I stood before the now frightened and bewildered-looking coyote, I thought, Wow! Nobody ever told me I could do that before… Then… How did I know to do it myself?

To my surprise, the coyote spoke up with the answer.

“You had the power all along, dear Princess. It only took an emotional crisis to awaken it. You are the Planet Heart Warrior – Illusia,” said the scruffy-looking canine, sitting back on his haunches.

I was nonplussed.

“That’s amazing, Coyote, but might I ask WHO you are and, more important, HOW you know who I am?”

It was great and all that he knew all this, but it felt more than a little uncomfortable for this coyote, whom I had never met before, to know more about me than I did.

“Forgive me, my Princess, for not introducing myself. I am known as Terran, the Guardian of the Supreme Princess of Kerahneeah.”

Ok… Now I knew who he was, but I still didn’t know HOW he knew about me…

“Well, I am glad to meet you, Terran. But would you PLEASE explain how you know who I am and what I am when I don’t even know who and what I am?!”

“Of course, Princess,” replied Terran. “Ten thousand years ago, the four Elemental Spirits decided that they needed physical bodies. They each created for themselves a human form and an animal form. Aleut, Spirit of Earth, selected a wolf. Illusia of the Water kept her power as a shapeshifter but took a dolphin as her symbol. Electras, the Thunder Spirit, took the shape of an eagle. Pyros, the Fire Guardian, formed himself a bear. One by one, the Spirits inhabited their newly-created animal bodies. They settled in Kerahneeah and protected it with their powers.”

I sat down, awestruck.

“Yes, but how do I figure into all this? It doesn’t make any sense at all! I’m still only a girl, not yet even come of age!”

“Patience, young Princess,” chortled Terran. “You still have much to learn about your Creators! Much more happened before you came along…”

I pouted at the scruffy coyote.

“Then TELL me about it!”

I could have sworn the coyote smiled.

Quite frankly, I found it extremely irritating. And if one is smart, they do not irritate the Supreme Princess of Kerahneeah. I glared icy daggers at the grizzled canine.

“Yes… Well… Now all was well in Kerahneeah for about five thousand years. The Elemental Ones saw that their animal bodies were immortal. However, they would wear down over time, becoming an extreme pain to bear through eternity. It was Queen Illusia who came up with the idea to create an heir, or in your case – an heiress, on whom all their powers would be bestowed when it was time to leave their animal bodies. And so, you were formed along with the Planet Heart… But…”

“I know. In creating me, the Creators gave up their immortality… But they also gave up their chance to just leave their animal bodies peacefully and move on. Now they have to suffer and die…”

I was beginning to tear up but I shook it off.