Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Terran - A Love Found 3 ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3

The next morning was the first time I had ever awakened with such a delicate warmth pressed against me. I looked down at my Princess as I woke up for the first time in so long, as a human. She was still sound asleep, only now her head rested over my heart and one arm was draped over my shoulder. She looked like she had no intention of moving until it was her decision. (Which, I must admit, was perfectly fine with me…) Still, I had to see if she was alright. The way her head was tilted, I could see the two tiny scars on her throat.

I sighed and settled back against the trunk of the tree again, looking up into the branches. Sunlight filtered through a thick blanket of snow. I looked around to see the whole forest covered in snow. My heart clenched tight; I don’t like snow. I was only glad the higher branches were so close together. The morning was turning out beautiful…

That is, until one wrong move shattered the peace…

A loud CRACK echoed through the forest. Illusia woke with an earsplitting shriek as a squalling grey creature landed on her head with a muffled thud. A large branch fell right past my head, bringing with it a flurry of snow. So now Illusia and I were cold, wet and thoroughly annoyed. Wanting to keep my hearing a little longer, I wrapped my hand around the grey creature’s snout to stop that insane caterwauling. The thing promptly clamped its jaws down on my finger.

“Ow! You little -”

“GET THAT THING OFF MY HEAD!!” wailed Illusia.

The little grey creature jammed its paws in its rather large ears.

“Ok, ok! Fine,” it said in a rather put out voice. “If you wanted me to get off, you could have just asked. Now quit that wailing, ‘cuz you’re killing my ears!”

Illusia’s wailing immediately stopped.

“That thing talked!” was my less-than-intelligent comment.

“Well yeah,” said the strange creature, who was making no move to get down from Illusia’s head. “Did you expect me to just sit here and let her break my eardrums? I have very sensitive hearing, ya know?”

“Who are you?” whined Illusia. “And could you get off my head now?”

“Nope,” said the creature, fiddling with its long ring-patterned tail. “But I’ll tell ya my name if you give me a cricket!”

“What?!” shrieked Illusia, making the creature and myself wince for the sake of our ears. “Everything’s frozen! There aren’t any crickets here!”

“Sucks for you,” quipped the little annoyance. “No cricket, no name.”

“Do you have any idea to whom you are speaking?” I growled at the little thing. It seemed quite unconcerned and sat perched between the buns on top of Illusia’s head, cleaning its ear with its paw.

“Nope,” replied the strange creature. It leaned over and poked Illusia’s forehead with a tiny tannish-grey paw. “What, are ya royalty or somethin’?”

“In fact I am,” said Illusia, trying to be graceful despite being soaked to the skin and having an uninvited guest on her head.

“You kiddin’ me?”

“Not at all,” replied Illusia, still trying for at least a shred of dignity in the midst of her predicament. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am the Supreme Princess of Kerahneeah, Illusia of the Planet Heart. Now who are you?”

“You sure this is no joke?” asked the creature from its perch on Illusia’s head.

“Positively.”

“Well then I’m pleased to be of service to ya, Princess.”

“Pleased to meet you. Now would you tell me who you are? I’ll get you a cricket as soon as everything thaws out.”

“Alright, but I’m holdin’ ya to it,” agreed the small grey creature and it bounced off Illusia’s head onto my shoulder. “Cienna. Cienna the ringtail, that’s me. And, uh, who’s this I’m sittin’ on?”

Illusia giggled at what must have been a fairly comical sight. I was covered in snow and being used as a ringtail’s personal perch. A ringtail that smelled less than pleasing.

“This is Terran,” said Illusia, forcing back her giggles. I could still see the laughter in her eyes. “Officially, he is the Guardian to the Supreme Princess of Kerahneeah. But right now…” She giggled.

“Eh, so the relationship’s more’n professional, huh?” asked the ringtail knowingly.

Illusia turned about five different shades of red and the snow in her hair melted instantly. Deliberately not looking at either the ringtail or myself, she answered.

“To put it simply, yes.”

With that, the ringtail’s eyes bugged and she fell forward rigidly, landing with a wet plop in my lap. Illusia and I looked at each other, then at the twitching creature. Just to see what would happen, I poked it. Like greased lightning, she was back on my shoulder in an instant.

“Eh, sorry ‘bout that,” said Cienna, brushing herself off. “So what’s the Supreme Princess and her…eh, Guardian doin’ here? This don’ really seem like the place for royalty…”

Illusia sighed.

“It’s a long story…”

“Should I sit down?”

“Yes…”

So a smelly grey pest hopped onto my head.

“Oh no you don’t, furball,” I growled, taking the pest by the scruff of her neck and depositing her less-than-ceremoniously on a snow-covered branch.

Undeterred, she hopped right back where she was. After reaching for her again and being bitten for it, I gave up. I settled back against the tree again, much less comfortably than before. The little grey pest settled down to listen to Illusia.

“Well it started when the humans came to Kerahneeah ---”