Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ Chapter 3

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

It was dark when Raelin finally woke up. Since the moment Raven had blocked her friends' thoughts from entering her mind she had spent every moment rebuilding her mental defenses. It was a dreary, painstaking process that had left her drained even worse than she already was. Even though she felt she was at her end, it took a mere few hours of sleep to rejuvenate.
 
Her wings cramped painfully and she attempted to stretch them only to find that they touched objects a few scant feet away; the room was too small for her to stretch completely.
 
But where was she, exactly?
 
Her eyes adjusted to the darkness relatively quickly. Soon, she could pick out candles, lots of them, and books everywhere. A few various crystals, a mirror… It seemed the room was filled with mystical artifacts.
 
How did she know they were mystical?
 
A memory tugged naggingly in the back of her mind yet no matter how much she searched she couldn't pull it out completely. How had she gotten here? Where did she come from? Aside from her name she couldn't remember much, a very disturbing problem. How had she lost her memory in the first place?
 
Frustrated, she leaned into the pillows with a sigh. Wait. Pillows? She had looked about her room but had failed to notice the bed she was in. Wow. Nothing gets by me. Her blankets were dark, very dark. In fact, she was willing to bet they were black or a navy blue color. The bed itself was quite comfortable. Very. Perhaps she should rest a little mo-
 
"Azarath… Metrion…"
 
Raelin's heard jumped into her throat. She looked around frantically for the source of the voice and found it amidst some pillows on the floor. The woman seemed familiar, somehow.
 
"Flying bunnies…"
 
That voice… Yes. Raven. The one that had entered her mind and shielded her, helped her more than she realized. But she couldn't see her face well in the darkness. She squinted, leaning forward on the bed as far as she dared…
 
Then Raven's eyes opened.
 
And a very startled Raelin fell off the very comfy bed.
 
"You're awake." The woman among the jungle of pillows yawned like she hadn't noticed the clumsy oaf falling off the bed. "Are you feeling better? Hungry? I can make you something if you like." She had a curious monotone, devoid of emotion. Still, it was quite pretty.
 
Raelin straightened herself quickly, shaking her head slightly. "No, thank you." Raven lighted a candle and the room was bathed in the little light it gave off. Indeed, the room was filled with spell books and mystical artifacts… Just where did she get that knowledge from? "But… I would very much like to stretch my wings, if it's possible."
 
The tiny woman nodded a little. “I can bring you outside, if you like. But before you said before that my friends' thoughts were causing you pain. I put on a spell on my room to keep their thoughts from entering so once we leave... Are you going to be able to handle them?”
 
Her wings were just itching to stretch. “I've built up my mental defenses so their thoughts won't pose too much of a problem. I can handle them.”
 
“All right.” Raven stood, her hand stretching out for her cloak that floated mysteriously to her. “You probably won't see them until tomorrow but my friend's names are Cyborg, Beast Boy, Robin and Starfire. Welcome to the Titan Tower.”
 
As Raven opened the door, Raelin got to her feet hurriedly. Dim light flooded into the room, adding a little more detail to what the candlelight only hinted at. She couldn't help but fold her wings protectively around her; even though these people had gone out of their way to help her, their intentions were still not clear.
 
Still, for some reason she felt she could trust them.
 
“Where are you from?” Raven asked in her quiet monotone. She was short, very short, shorter than Raelin had realized before. The slight woman's head would be a little past her shoulder if they stood side by side.
 
“I've been trying to remember since I woke up. It seems I've lost my memory. I don't have any knowledge of anything before I came here.” She couldn't keep the frustration she was feeling from creeping into her voice.
 
Raven glanced up at her over her shoulder. “You were very distraught and
disoriented when we found you. It's very likely you were in some kind of traumatic accident that caused you to lose your memory. Be patient, I'm sure it will come back.” She was silent for a moment. “I may even be able to help.”
 
Raelin was shocked out of words for a moment. “That's… That's very kind of you, thank you.” After, she followed in a contemplative silence. What could have happened that was so traumatic that it made her lose her memory? Where did had the event taken place, even?
 
“Here.” The blue caped short woman stopped in front of large double doors, slender fingers reaching out to press a few buttons. Fresh, crisp air wafted through seductively, tickling Raelin's nose. She inhaled deeply, her troubles forgotten for a moment. She loved this time of night.
 
As they walked out together, Raelin could hear and smell the sea, the gentle lull of it lapping against the rocks. The grass was damp with dew, slightly cold to the touch. Pale moonlight spilled over everything, giving an eerie edge to whatever her eyes landed upon.
 
Slowly, as though of their own accord, her wings spread open. A relatively strong current came along and swept her up, like a mother lifting her child. How did I lose my memory? Her thought nagged her. Will I ever get it back? The wind washing past her ears seemed to whisper an answer. “Don't worry. Everything will be fine. For now, just fly.”
 
So she did.