Fan Fiction ❯ One with the Music: Picking up the Pieces ❯ After The Party, and Kurt ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

One with the Music: Picking up the Pieces
By Aden Silverflame
Proofed By Torrent Silverpelt
Characters © Owners, they know who they are.
 
Chapter 4
 
The rest of the party went off without a hitch. I had a good time and I got Kiz to do the same. He was a little worse for wear but he shook it off in no time. Everyone was congratulating him for standing up to Ebon, he even got a free drink or two from some of the sprites. When I walked him home he was terribly drunk and it was late in the day.
I set him down on the couch and walked over to the telephone, checking the messages. None as I thought, I wasn't sleepy in the least although I was in a far better mood, my mind was wandering slowly as I sat at the kitchen table, thinking about Aden and the Princess, Kiz, and Kurt. I wondered where it all fit together and what would become of me. I had chosen to bond with a human and he was gone now, pretty much lost to me. It hurt to think of him but I knew that somewhere in my heart there rested the memory of that soft caress over my cheek, his gentle words, and his warming smile. I couldn't live like this, waiting for the impossible. Though I wanted the memory of the time Kurt and I spent together to be my last... what passed through my mind in the instant I died.
With a shaky hand I pulled a kitchen knife from the counter, sitting curled up in the wooden chair at the kitchen table. Heart thumping more and more as the memory of the man I fell in love with hung in my mind, burned there by my concentration as I held the knife more firmly.
“Ok... this is it...” I took a deep breath and placed the blade against my wrist. Suddenly the phone rang and I dropped the knife with a shriek. It was so sudden I didn't know what to think. Stumbling I grabbed the phone and spoke gently. “H-hello? Kaz speaking.”
“Kaz?” It was Aden's voice. “Kaz it's Aden, look we found the guy, we have his number.” my heart thumped harder and harder. “You have a pen?”
“Y-yeah... just a sec” I grabbed a pen and paper, scrambling and shaking as I took the pair of phone numbers down.
“Good luck, Kaz, I'll see you again later.” Aden said as he hung up the phone.
I didn't hesitate as I dialed in the number for his home, my heart practically jumping out of my throat as I hear it ring. Once. Twice. 3 times. And finally a click as it was picked up
“Hello. You've reached the Davis and Bartley residence, Allan speaking.” the voice wasn't familiar.
“U-Uhh... is Kurt there?” I managed to get out, part of my hoping the answer to that was no.
“Oh yeah he's here. May I ask who's calling?”
“T-this is Kaz... he should know who I am.” I was more nervous than I had ever been in my life.
Allan's voice changed as I heard him set something down on a table. “Ooh... so this is Kaz is it. You know you did a lot of damage to my friend, he's been in rough shape for weeks, barely eating, barely going outside.”
I was on the verge of tears as I stumbled for words. “I know I know!.. I'm calling to... try and see him again... I'm s-sorry can I just talk to him please?” I had the cord of the phone wrapped around my hand as I paced back and forth in my kitchen.
“Alright... just don't hurt him anymore ok?” He set the phone down and I started shaking, listening to the footsteps approaching the phone and the scrape as it was picked up.
“Kaz?” it was him! My heart was soaring. His voice was like music to me.
“It's me, Kurt... it's been a while...” I was crying now as I spoke, smiling but crying.
“Yeah... it has been... you been ok?” his voice was wavering as if he too was on the verge of crying. I didn't know where to start but I thought that honesty would be the best idea.
“I'm wasting away Kurt. I... I can't seem to... think about anything else but you.”
“It's been hard for me too, Kaz... I... I've been just... so depressed... but I think I know why I ran like I did...” I waited for him to continue, “It was just so sudden... I... if you hadn't told me the truth I would have stayed. And you would have been a lot happier I bet... I've done a lot of thinking over the last few weeks.”
“Kurt... I want to see you again. I know you probably don't want to have anything to do with me anymore but I still... I just want to have you close once more... is that... ok with you?” my eyes were hurting from all the tears I had shed, thinking more and more about this.
“Kaz... I... I don't know. I guess I can, there are just some things I need to get off my chest in person...”
“Ok Kurt... tomorrow then?”
“All right Kaz, I'll meet you in front of the club.” his voice was lightening slightly.
“Ok Kurt... see you then... l-love you...”
“I... I love you too Kaz, see you then...” and with that he hung up the phone.
“He... he loves me...” I dropped the phone and sunk back against the wall, grinning like an idiot and starting to laugh, the color rushing back to my cheeks and strength filling my every being. “He loves me!”