Fan Fiction ❯ Sun Fyre ❯ In which we learn of what they are... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4- In which we learn of what they are

Both Ivory and Onyx moved into the shadows as Onyx's magick began to fade from Misha's ear. She opened her eyes pathetically whimpering and looked wild-eyed around for Aidan.

"Aidan, what happened? Did you kill that distasteful creature?" she asked as she locked herself to his side.

Aidan only shook his head stiffly no and turned away, effectively loosening Misha's hold on him.

Misha looked a little concerned as he stood looking up out of the clearing at the half moon above, "What is it Aidan? What's the problem?"

He shook his head lowering his gaze to just the shadows in the deep forest and shrugged, "It's nothing, leave it be."

Misha's voice started to whine, which grated on Onyx's nerves, "But, Aidan we are to be married, you can tell me anything!"

At that statement, both sisters stepped from the shadows and to the side of Misha; Misha gave a startled gasp and fell backward, her butt landing hard upon the rock. "Who, who are you?"

Onyx was the first to smile, and when she did, it was a feral, fang-bearing grin. She looked at her sister who was also smiling by now and facing her. "We," they began together, "Are the Order called the Children of the Shadow."

"We are sisters," finished Ivory, "We were able to keep the universe in equilibrium in years past because the great Coy enabled us too. Our blood was joined in an ancient ritual that bound our destinies together until we die. But, now we learn that in our demise that evil has tipped the delicate scale of Balance and now we must fix it."

As Ivory finish Onyx began, "You see, you don't fit into this plan in any points of importance, and since you seem to know our companion over there," she paused pointing to Aidan, "We can't let you live…"

A small gasp of terror escaped Misha's throat as she shook her head pleadingly. "Oh, please don't! I beg of you!"

Onyx smiled again, Aidan looked over and noted that this was twice in one day! It was odd when she smiled once, but twice he hadn't remembered her ever smiling twice in the last one hundred years they were together. She simply sat in front of Misha and spoke very slowly ensuring that this bumbling small woman would understand her words. "You must go back to your village, which village is that may I ask."

"Oakshire," she stammered.

Onyx shook her head disapprovingly and looked up to Ivory, "That won't do us any good will it sister?" Ivory silently shook her head.

"That means Misha, you will have to leave Oakshire tonight and move to a different village," said Aidan, just joining the conversation.

Onyx looked up suddenly and glared, "I was just going to kill her Aidan, It saves us time and insures she won't tell others of our presence."

He looked at her and met her glare with an icy stare of his own, "It also will make you lose your humanity. Every time you kill Onyx, you lose a bit of your humanity."

Onyx conceded and allowed Aidan to explain to Misha what she was to do and when to do it. She felt like she wanted to rip his throat out right there, in all her bloodlust and glory and drink his fresh, sweet blood in front of Misha.

What is happening to me? Why do I have thoughts like these now? Have I really lost my humanity? Onyx continued to dwell on her thoughts and what they meant to her.

Ivory looked up and a look of concern passed over her face, "Onyx, are you ok?"

Onyx only glared and waved her away as she stalked out to the shadows where she could let the emotions threatening to overwhelm her runs free.

Aidan looked up and gave Ivory a questioning look but when she shrugged, he got up and moved out to talk with Onyx.

"Onyx what is it?" he asked gently.

Onyx stiffened at his presence. "It is nothing, Aidan. Leave me be."

He simply shook his head and placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her to face him, "Onyx, I've known you for centuries and you are not one to show emotions. What is it?"

She turned to him and he saw the silver track her tears had taken, reaching up he wiped them away. "Over the centuries I've had complete control over my impulses, but lately I've found myself bloodthirsty and under the sway of my instincts. I don't know what to do if I lose control, Peter I really don't."

He smiled then and shook his head, "Ebony N'Valorick, you are one of the last Dragon Fey people. I haven't seen one in centuries. You are strong, beautiful, and able to handle your emotions better than anyone else is. You also haven't seen the moon in over 2,000 years, so maybe you're a little bloodthirsty, but you haven't replenished for a very long time."

She nodded at his words, not quite as convinced as he'd hoped but more heartened than before. She turned and joined him as they moved back into the moon filled clearing.

Ivory smiled as they returned. After a quick look around Onyx noted that Misha had left, "Did she go to pack her things and move?"

Aidan shook his head silently; "She's going to live with her sister for a while in the town we had left an hour ago, Devonshire."

Onyx nodded and turned to Aidan, "Then I think it's time we reclaimed our clothes."