Fan Fiction ❯ Unleashing the Hounds ❯ Old Friends and New Plans ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Unleashing the Hounds

Lady Mars

AN: This has no disclaimer, because I own it all. HA!

Part Two: Old Friends and New Plans

* * *

Sil leaned on the bar in the elevator, lost in thought. Her demeanor wouldn't have show how much turmoil she mind was in; she looked like she was sleeping. The only depiction of her alertness was the probing of her ears; they shifted at sounds that no one could hear. Antevorta and Albanta stood on the other side, watching the killer. They had a vague idea of what they were getting into, but nothing would quench the overriding fear that they had. They both kept exchanging nervous glances, wondering how Sil could be so calm when they were walking right into the awaiting arms of the devil. It was a highly unnerving situation for the two women, but because of their fear, they couldn't run. The pair waited patiently as the elevator ground to a halt. Sil's eyes fluttered open when the doors swung open. She slowly rose back up to her full height before striding out of the elevator. She strode out onto the plush carpet of the top floor. Albanta and Antevorta hesitated for a moment before following the killer into the office. The wolfen beast swung the pane glass door open and strode through it, the other two skittering in behind her. The wolf sitting behind the lone desk in the office looked up as Sil approached.

"She in?" Sil asked.

"Yes she is," the wolf replied. Sil nodded and moved towards the door. "Do you want me to tell her you're here?"

"No, it's more fun this way." Sil stepped up to the door and paused for a moment, reading the sign on it. 'When you're good to momma, momma's good to you? Only she would have something like this up.' Sil swung the door open and let Antevorta and Albanta step through first. She took one last look at the secretary and stepped through herself.

The office was formally furnished. Each piece of furniture was modern, much as would be seen an art gallery. A large glass desk sat in the middle of the room, drawing the visitor's eyes straight to it and the large chair behind it. The walls were lined with tall shelves of books, most of them with titles that Albanta and Antevorta had never seen, let alone, could pronounce. In the center of the large bay window stood a rather shapely white tiger. Her long blue dress barely brushed the floor and her deep blue hair was gathered up into a bun. Sil took a few steps away from the other girls and out into the center of the room.

"Are you gonna stare out the window or are you going to talk to me sometime this millennia?" The tiger turned to address the speaker. Her green eyes softened when they landed on Sil.

"Well I'll be damned," she said. "What hell hole did you crawl out of?" Sil shrugged in response.

"Oh, some seedy little bar on the other side of Aper."

"Tormenting the bar tenders again eh?"

"Now what EVER gave you that idea?" The cat chuckled at the reply.

"It's good to see you again Sil."

"As is you Fisc."

"Why don't you have a seat?" Sil nodded, strode forward and sat down across from Fisc. " Are the two cowering in the back with you or did they just appear out of thin air?" Sil turned to look at the back of the office before turning back to Fisc.

"Yeah they are." Sil sighed and turned back to them. "Are you two going to stand there all day or are you going to come up here and join us?" The pair exchanged nervous glances, but still didn't move. "I promise she won't bite." Sil turned back to Fisc. "They think because you are who you are, you're going to kill them. They don't believe a word I'm saying about you." Fisc chuckled as the two other women timidly approached and sat down next to Sil.

"So what brings you here on a day like this?"

"Well, I still need my payment for Estando, for starters."

"Ah… I do still owe you for that one, don't I?"

"Yeah, or at least the last time I checked you still did."

"Right." Fisc pulled open a drawer and pulled out her checkbook. "How much was the price when you did it?"

"I'm not sure. When I did it, I didn't know there was a price on his head."

"Oh. That presents a problem now doesn't it?
"Yes, it does." Fisc put down her pen and turned to her computer. She punched a few keys and scanned the screen. "Here he is. 4. 75 mil; quite the looker you got there."

"He was." Fisc turned back to her checkbook. "Before you lay any ink down, can you just direct deposit that for me?"

"Sure." Fisc turned back to her computer, pressed a few keys and then turned back to Sil. "So what else do you need me for?"

"Yeah. There's a dead guy in her," she pointed at Antevorta "trunk."

"There's a dead guy in her trunk?"

"Yeah. I kind of whacked him in Aper."

"Kind of?" Albanta blurted. Fisc turned to look at the cheetah.
"There was noting that was 'kind of' in the entire act!"

"Ok, ok," Sil started again. "Don't get your tail all in a knot." She turned to look at Fisc. "I blew his head off, big fucking deal."

"Would this happen to correlate with the mysterious death of Seniti?"

"Correlate? It WAS the death of Seniti."

"You waxed a drug lord?"

"Yeah, so? S'not like I've never done it before."

"True." Fisc sat back in her chair. " I take it you want the payload for him?"

"Nah, I just want the 'cutioner's fee. Give the rest to the dove."

"Why?"
"Because if I hadn't done it, she would have."

"Ah." Fisc rolled back and opened a drawer. She pulled out two large stacks of cash and pushed them over to Antevorta. "Deposit yours?" Sil nodded. Fisc entered the amount into her computer.

"Can you do that with mine too?" Antevorta asked timidly.

"Sure. Account number?"
"774839021." Fisc punched it in and then returned to her original position.

"Do you realize how many feathers you've ruffled by doing this, don't you Interfecio?"

"Yeah, so what?" Sil spat. "If they have a problem with it, they can take it out with me."

"That'll deter most everyone right there."

"Ya damn straight it will." The group sat quietly until the wolfen secretary entered.

"Ma'am?" Fisc looked up at her. "Mr. Estonia's report is here." The wolf walked up to the desk, set a small stack of papers down, and turned around and left. Fisc picked them up and began to read.

"Shit. This isn't good." She flipped a few pages. "This isn't good at all."

"He said that he lost four of the men you sent and the rest fled out of pure fear." Fisc set the papers back down on her desk. "He also said that he's running low on supplies and patience." Fisc buried her head in her hands.

"What am I going to do?"

"He also said that Horzando keeps picking off anyone who gets anywhere near Emilio and the only other team member he has left is Carmina."

"What am I going to do? I am running out of men who are willing to take on this task."

"Why don't you send a woman then?" Antevorta asked.

"What?"

"You said you keep loosing men, so I said that you should send a woman."

"I don't think I HAVE a woman who's crazy enough to take it on."

"I'll do it," Sil replied.

"What?" Fisc asked.

"I said I'd do it. You want a chick, and you have one who's willing to try this."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, sure. It really can't be that hard, can it?"

"Well…"

"Hun, you've known me this long. Don't second guess me."

"Fine, fine. I'll get in contact with Zhane and tell him that you're coming."

"Ok then. Is Eleanor here?"

"Yes, she's downstairs waiting for you."

"Good. Then we'll be on our way. I need to see my tech man before I head to Capello. You are going to take the corpse out of her trunk for me, RIGHT?"

"Yes, yes. It will be taken care of, I promise." Sil got up from her chair.

"All right then, let's get this show on the road."

* * *

Antevorta and Albanta stood in the parking garage, with Fisc, wondering where their wayward leader was.

"What are we waiting for?" Antevorta asked.

"Sil." Fisc pointed to the other end of the garage where a silver motorcycle rounded the corner. Sil roared up the lane and brought the machine to a stop in front of the other three women. She flipped the visor up on her helmet and gazed at the trio.

"You ready to go?" She asked.

"Yes," Antevorta replied. "But one more thing before we go."
"What?"

"Who's Eleanor?" Sil pointed at her cycle. "You have got to be kidding me."

"Nope. This isn't any sort of elaborate joke. Eleanor is my V-Rod." Antevorta sighed. "Can we go now?"

"Yes." Antevorta and Albanta walked away from Sil and Fisc.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Sil nodded. "Ok. I hope you come back in one piece."

"Me too." Sil dropped her visor back down and tore out of the garage with the other two following close behind. Fisc watched them as they disappeared over the horizon. 'I sure hope she keeps her promises.'

* * *

Sil stepped over the top of her motorcycle, dropping the kickstand. Antevorta and Albanta slowly approached her.

"Where are we?" Antevorta asked.

"Taurion," Sil replied, pulling her helmet off.

"Taurion? What are we doing here?"

"Making a pit stop." Sil started walking away and rounded the corner to the front of the bar they were parked next to. She stopped once they had reached the door. "What ever you do, don't drink anything or talk to anyone." She slowly pushed the door to the bar open and stepped in, the loud music roared through the air as the trio navigated through the dense crowd of people to the bar. Sil stepped up on the brass ledge and leaned in to get a better word with the bartender.

"Can I help you ladies?" the bison asked, eying Sil.

"Yeah, I sure hope you can," Sil replied. "Is Maquaque in?"

"Cack?"

"MAQUAQUE!"
"Oh! Maq! No, he just stepped out."

"Ok... When you find him, tell him the devil wolf is looking for him."
"Devil Wolf? Sure." He turned to the others. "Do you two want anything?"

"They're fine," Sil replied.

"Ok..." The bison slowly walked to the other end of the bar. Antevorta and Albanta exchanged glances.

"Is he a...?" Albanta asked.

"Yes, they all are. That's why this place is called Taurion," Sil replied. Albanta was going to reply, but a large zebra bounded towards them. "I take it you got my message?"

"That I did."

"Well it took you long enough then Maq."

"Sorry! I was busy! What can I do for ya now that I'm here 'Fecio?"

"I need to know if Asto is still in town."
"Asto? Why the hell would he leave? He's got no where better to be."
"True. He still at his usual digs or did he finally move out of the slum?"
"He's too attached to the loft to move."

"Figures. Thanks Maq, you're a big helps as always."
"You know I try." Sil started to walk away. "And Sil, one more thing." Sil stopped.

"Yeah Maq?"
"The next time you come in here, order something."
"You know I don't drink Maq." Maquaque rolled his eyes.

"SURE you don't Sil, sure you don't." Sil giggled lightly and walked out the door. Once outside, Albanta chimed in again.

"So where are we going?"
"To see my tech man."
"Oh.. Ok then. How far is it?"
"Not too far. At least he has an actually shower." Sil mounted her motorcycle and revved the engine. "Let's get going, time is wasting away fast." The other two nodded and walked to Antevorta's car. Sil swung her cycle around and drove up the edge of the road. 'You better still be there boy; I want Betsy back.'

* * *

The man slowly trudged through the loft to get to his door. 'Now who on earth would be bothering me at this hour?'

"ASTONIA! OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW!" The man's ear's shot up at the voice. 'Not the land lady, not NOW!' He came to a skidding halt and swung the door open. His face fell when he saw Sil standing on the other side of it. "It took you damn long enough!"

"Interfecio," he replied flatly. "Why in the name of holy hell are you doing here at this hour?"

"1st off, hell isn't holy, you should know that by now. 2nd off, it's only 10:30; that's not that late. And 3rd off, I came here to see you Xander, why else would I be here?"
"Too mooch a meal, money, and a shower off of me."
"Damn, am I getting that predictable?"
"No, I just know you too well."

"Right. Are you going to let us in or are we going to have to stand here all night?" Xander stepped aside and let them enter.

"And what do you mean it's only 10:30?"
"Your clock is still broken, isn't it?"
"No, I..."
"Haven't put a new battery in it yet, got ya."

"Right. So what's with the shadows? Forming a cult?"
"You wish. I picked them up in a bar and they haven't found a safe place to leave yet."

"Are you planning on keeping them around?"
"Yeah, until they want to leave, that is."

"Right. But that still doesn't explain what you're DOING HERE!"

"It doesn't, does it?" Xander shot her an angered look. "Don't give me that look; you know damn well you wouldn't and couldn't do anything about it."

"Damn it; I hate it when you're right."

"I know you do, that's why I make it a point to point it out." Xander sighed.

"Ok, getting BACK to the point, what ARE you doing here?"
"Mooching a shower and getting Betsy back."

"What, Emm isn't good enough for you?"

"Now did I say that?"
"No..."
"Emm is fine, I just like Betsy better, that's all."

"All right. So you want the gun or the shower first?"
"Shower. I'm soo gross it's not funny." She hefted her bag and disappeared into the apartment.

"She never changes." Xander shook his head and turned back to Antevorta and Albanta. "You two can come in, I promise I won't bite." The two crept in meekly and sat down on his barstools next to the island in his kitchen. "After all of these years one would think she would have changed some, but she hasn't. You two want something to drink?" The pair both shook their heads. "Ok, your loss." Xander took a swig from the glass on the counter. Antevorta and Albanta stared as the lion moved around the apartment. The man stood at Sil's height; he was heavily muscled, thoroughly tattooed, and had the grace of a large jungle cat. The tattoos varied in design; his right are was covered in various colored lines, spots, and shapes in a tribal sort of motif. His left arm had a dragon wrapped around his wrist and bicep; sparse compared to its counterpart. The crowning glory was on his back; a phoenix rising from the flames took up his whole back, reaching to the blood red 'x' on the back of his neck. The lion was a god among men. "So how did you two get hooked up with Sil?"
"Barfly," Albanta replied.
"Dead drug lord," Antevorta replied.

"Nice." Xander replied. "Exploding head trick?"
"Exploding head trick?" Antevorta was slightly confused.
"Did she vaporize his head?"
"Oh, yeah she did."

"That's her favorite way of doing it." A brief silence hung in the air.

"So how did you meet her?"
"Middle school. I was new and getting the shit beaten out of me. She stopped the fight quicker than a drug raid in this town and I latched on and never let go."

"So are you...?"
"Involved? No; I don't think we would be able to handle it. We know each other too well an it would be like..."
"Dating a family member." Sil entered the room, drying her hair.
"Are those my pants?" Sil looked down.
"No, these are my pants that you never returned."

"Right, I forgot."

"You have a tendency to do that."

"Well so do you." She flicked him off. "You name the time and place."
"Your bedroom and in your dreams. You'll never be man enough to handle me."
"Oh really? You seriously think that?"
"I don't think, I know hun. There is very little preventing me from beating you into a bloody pulp at any time."

"You really think that?" Sil snorted.

"Yes, and why are we having this convo again?"
"Because we always have it when we meet."
"Right, I forgot."

"Ha! See you do it too."
"Oh stuff it Astonia." She threw her towel at him. He snagged it out of mid air.

"I'd rather not."

"Fine, do what ever you please as long as I get my gun back."
"You can have yours when I get mine back." Sil set her gun on the island and Xander handed her a different one. "Happy now?"
"Immensely." Sil sat down next to Albanta.

"So why are you so itchy to get your gun back, you got a new hit or something?"
"I actually do."
"Really, who is it this time, someone ruffling Fisc's feathers?"
"More like everyone's feathers."
"Really? Who?"

"Emilio Fatone." Xander spat his drink out.
"Emilio Fatone, as in 'get in my way and I wax you' Emilio Fatone?"
"Yeah, that's him."
"Are you nuts?! He will kill you for sure! Do you really want to die?"
"No, and he's not going to kill me Astonia."

"Oh really? Do you have any idea how many men he's killed before you?"
"Yes, twenty-six. But those were MEN Xander, MEN. Why would he want to kill me?"
"Once he finds out you're hunting him he will."
"Get over it Xander, I took the job and I'm either going to finish it or die in the process."
"I don't understand you. You have so much to live for and yet you throw it all away, why? Why Sil, why do you do this?"
"Why? Why do I do this?" Sil got up from her chair and walked over to Xander, staring him down. "I do this because it is the only thing I know how to do. I can't have a normal job Xan, you've seen my psyche records, and you know I have major temper problems. This is the only thing I can do and I do it like it's my last day because I have nothing better to live for, you know that. I don't have any family and the only friends I have are you, Fisc, Maq, and these two. Five people Xan, FIVE. You call that something worth living for? I don't. For all I know, you all could drop dead tomorrow and leave me all alone. You always told me that I fear nothing, well Xan, you're wrong. I do fear something, I fear loosing the people I care about and that's why I live dangerously; it's the only way I know to protect you." A grim silence fell over the room.

"Is that it?"
"That's it Xander, plain and simple. Do you need me for anything else?"
"No."
"Fine, I'm going to bed then, I do have a lot to do tomorrow." She turned to Albanta and Antevorta. "I suggest you two call it a night too; we have hoards to do and no time to do it." The pair nodded and exited the kitchen. Sil turned back to Xander. "Good night Xan, I hope your thoughts are better company than me." She then left the kitchen too. Xander slid onto one of his stools. 'I never knew. I never knew and no I can't help. Way to go Xander Astonia, you may loose the one thing most important to you and she'll never know.'

* * *