Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ South Town ❯ Anatomy of the Heart ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
This chapter has the meeting of two characters in particular, hopefully not too cheesy how they meet. And you also find out a little bit more about one of these fighting females.

Hope you like it!

Disclaimer: King of Fighters along with all its characters is the property of Playmore Games.

()= thoughts

Anatomy of the Heart

It was late afternoon as a figure in a pair of ripped daisy dukes and a white tank top was running through the streets of South Town. Totally absorbed in thought, the young woman entered an alley.

"I've got to hurry up and get home and get started on my anatomy and physiology project," Torch whispered to herself. (I've got to call Mark and see if he's finished with those diagrams yet.) "There's no way in hell I'm gonna stay home this weekend and slave over that thing."

Still deep in thought, Torch continued to run home. As she came bursting out of the alley, Torch accidentally ran into someone. While trying to regain her balance, Torch's foot twisted as she ended up on the ground.

"OUCH!!" she exclaimed. "Hey, why don't you watch where... where..." Torch's train of thought wandered off as soon as she saw the man she ran into. Torch sat there gazing at a very good-looking man with long blonde hair which was pulled back into a ponytail. He was wearing a red sleeveless jacket with a red baseball cap which had a metal plate bolted to the front. Her eyes wandered his well-built frame and settled on his handsome face. "Uh... hello."

The man knelt down beside her. "Are you all right, miss?" he asked gently.

She managed to get out a few words, "I'm not sure. I think it's sprained."

He reached out his hand for her to grab. "Here, let me help you...."

As he was saying this, Torch was already trying to get to her feet by herself, her independent nature taking over. "Oh, that's okay, don't worry about me. I'll be okay. I should have been paying attention, besides I think it's just a minor sprain." Just then, she tried to stand on her injured ankle and was then back on the ground once again in pain. "Okay... maybe not."

He smiled, admiring her persistence. "How's about this? " he began, "I can carry you home."

"Seriously?" Torch asked, doubting his words.

"Really, it's no trouble," he said simply.

Relief passed over Torch's face. "Thanks, it's really nice of you. I appreciate this." The man offered his hand, and this time, Torch took it. "By the way, seeing as we're going to be in each other's company for a while, my name's Torch, Torch Kipagami."

He gave her a strange look. "Torch, huh? Very... unique," and after an expectant nod from Torch, "Oh, I'm Terry."

Torch's eyes widened. "Terry as in Terry Bogard?" she asked in astonishment.

"Yeah," he said as he helped Torch to her feet, and Terry easily picked her up and began to walk, "How did you know?"

"Well, it's just all the stories I've heard about the man who defeated Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser, and last but not least, Mars, the god of war," Torch stated matter-of-factly. "They circulate a lot around here."

"Yeah, that's true," he agreed.

Torch looked at Terry very intently and smiled. "It's funny. Not a single story I've heard has ever said how...irresistibly cute you are."

Terry stumbled as he walked. "Huh? W-What?"

"Is there something wrong?" Torch asked innocently.

"Uh... nothing," Terry stammered.

Terry continued to walk. (God, I hope I don't put my foot in my mouth) he thought to himself. The two continued talking as they made their way to the apartment. Torch's interest grew with each passing moment. Terry and Torch reached the apartment fifteen minutes later, and Terry set her down as she began to fumble for keys. She was actually nervous.

"Um, would you like to come in and get something to drink?" she said nervously, finally finding the correct set of keys.

"I wouldn't want to be any trouble...."

Torch chuckled. "Hey, if anyone's been trouble today, that would be me. Besides, it's the least I can do after all you've done for me today, even if it's just something to drink."

Terry smiled, "Well, if you insist...."

Torch returned his smile, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

They stepped inside the apartment, Torch leaning on Terry for support. She then sat down on the armrest of the couch.

"Terry, could you grab that set of crutches in the closet and an ankle wrap out of the first aid kit over there?" she asked.

"Sure thing."

Terry did as he was asked, and Torch started to reach for the wrap to put around her ankle, but Terry already started to take off her shoe and place the wrap himself before she could say anything. He just looked up at her face and smiled. (He's handsome, has a great personality, can fight like a pack of wolves, and knows how to help a girl when she needs it... )

"There you go," he said when he finished.

Torch snapped out of her trance and got up on her crutches to get something from the refrigerator to drink.

"So, Terry, what would you like?"

"What do you have?"

Torch opened the fridge and took a look. "Well, I've got water, tea, fuzzy navel wine coolers, soda, and... -whew- spoiled milk?! How'd that get in there? Achika probably spent yesterday in the library instead of going grocery shopping," she mumbled as she poured the milk down the drain.

Terry laughed. "I'll have whatever you're having."

"Okay. Catch." She tossed him up a couple of cans of soda and picked up a bottle of rum and two glasses from the counter as she headed back to the living room. "Is this okay?"

"Yeah, thanks."

"So," Torch began, "why don't tell me something about yourself? Something besides your famous fights, something more about you."

Terry blushed a little. "Um, like what?"

"Okay, why don't you ask me first?"

Terry thought for a moment. "So what is your real name, Miss Kipagami? I really can't see anyone naming their daughter Torch."

"It's Mana. After I started to be formally trained in the martial arts, I just kind of got tagged with it. What can I say, it stuck," she shrugged.

"You're a martial artist? You don't seem the type..."

"Looks can be deceiving," Torch said with an innocent smile.

"True. Who's your sensei, and what style do you practice?" he asked, getting interested this aspect of her life.

"My sensei is my adoptive father, Master Yosho Kipagami and our style is Shizen Ryu, the way of nature."

"I've heard a few rumors about him. So, how did you get tagged with the name like Torch?"

"Let me show you, it's easier than trying to explain," Torch held out her hand and it began to glow bright red. She closed her hand and a sword of flames appeared. Terry's eyes widened. She smiled and the sword disappeared.

"How did you..." Terry began.

"Sorry, it's an old secret," Torch interrupted. "Well, let's not dwell on fighting and techniques for now... ask anything else about me you want to know."

Terry smiled. The two continued to talk until they noticed that it was well past midnight.

"Oh, man," Terry exclaimed. "It's after midnight. I was supposed to go see Andy and Joe at 10:30. I don't mean to be rude, but I've got to go."

"Really?" Torch asked, upset that their evening together has come to an end.

"I'm sorry, but yes I really have to."

"Well, I've really enjoyed your company, Terry. I'm glad that we ran into each other today... maybe I should say that 'I ran into you.'" They both began to laugh, and after a few seconds, they settled down. "Will I ever see you again, Terry?" Torch asked as she looked into his eyes hopefully.

"Of course you will. I was going to stop by later this week to check up on you, if that's all right."

Torch instantly perked up. "Great! I'll see you here on... how about day after tomorrow?"

"Sounds great!"

Torch gave him a hug as they got to the door. "Thank you so much for all your help today, Terry," she whispered into his ear. As she pulled away, Torch gave him a kiss on the cheek. Terry stood there a little surprised.

"You're welcome, Mana, until I see you again..." Terry took hold of her hand and gently kissed it.

"Bye," she smiled and waved as he turned to leave. Torch slowly closed the door and leaned against it. After standing there for a few seconds, she let out a happy sigh and smiled. "Oh my god! I think I'm in love!"

Terry walked down the street with a smile on his face. He hadn't felt this connected to someone since he lost Sulia. Terry wasn't quite sure what to think of what had transpired that day. It had been over a year since Sulia sacrificed herself trying to save him from her brother. He only knew that the hollow ache in his heart since his loss seemed to be disappearing since he met the captivating creature named Mana Kipagami. He saw a shooting star streak across the night sky. Hopefully, it would grant his long time wish... to be able to find love again.

The next day rolled around and Torch headed to the flower shop for work. Around 10:00 am, the girls were in the greenhouse attached to the side of Mariko's, which was visible to the street through the large windows. Inside, Torch was watering flowers with a hose while Iris was trimming leaves from plants. It was a normal day.

Down the street about a block away, Terry was walking with his companions, Andy Bogard and Joe Higashi, discussing what happened the previous day.

"So, Terry," Andy began, "are you going to tell us why you were so late last night?"

"Well, guys," Terry replied, "I was with a girl...."

"Whoa, Terry," Joe exclaimed, "you went out and had fun without me?"

"It's not like that, Joe. I swear, all you think about is sex!" Terry shook his head in disgust and continued. "She accidentally ran into me yesterday and fell. Well, she twisted her ankle, and I took her home."

"It took you seven hours to take her home?" Andy asked as he gave his big brother a strange look.

"No, I stuck around afterwards, and we got to talking. She has a great personality...."

"Looks like a dog," Joe murmured.

"Wrong, Joe," Terry countered. "She has a great body, very pretty... and she has the most beautiful eyes..." Terry's attention was drawn to a shop they were passing by, and without warning, he went inside. Terry made his way through the assorted plants and approached a young woman dressed in a white tank top, black daisy dukes, and long black hair which was pulled back into a ponytail. "Hello, Mana," he said to her.

Torch turned around and as soon as she saw Terry, a smile graced her lips. "Hi, Terry... I... uh... it's nice to see you again." They both stood and smiled at each other.

Andy and Joe found Terry through all the plants. Andy leaned to Joe, "What's with him," he asked when he saw his older brother.

Joe smirked. "Isn't it kinda obvious?" Joe's attention was drawn to an area not far from Torch. "Um... what the...?

Master Yosho entered the greenhouse area to check on the girls, and as he glanced around, his face went from his normal cheerful expression to the "Oh, no!" look. The aged man then walked over to Torch's side. "Ahem."

Torch was so involved in her conversation with Terry that she didn't hear Yosho trying to get her attention. "Anyway, what brings you around here, Terry?"

"Ahem," Yosho tried again to be polite.

"Well, I was just passing by, and I thought I saw you in the window. I had to see if it was you. How's your ankle?"

"Oh, it's a lot better. I can walk on it just fine. I can do some of my kicks, too. I'm a pretty fast healer plus me in medical school...."

"TORCH!!" Yosho yelled, finally getting her attention.

"Yes, sir," Torch said apologetically.

"I know I told you to water the flowers, but..." he glanced over to Iris, "I think you went a little overboard."

Torch turned towards Iris and dropped the hose. Iris was standing in the middle of a rather large puddle, soaking wet. She had a thin grin on her face as she wiped the water off her face as well as a few strands of hair. Iris took off her flannel over shirt and wrung it over a nearby plant. She then glared at Torch. "Ha, ha," she said sarcastically. "No pun intended I hope."

"Oops. Sorry, Iris," Torch said as she turned off the hose.

"I'm glad I wore a black shirt today," she mumbled to herself. Iris then glanced over to Andy and Joe, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No thanks," Joe replied and pointed his thumb towards Terry, "We're with him."

Yosho walked up to Iris and placed his hand on the shoulder of the still glaring Iris. "Go ahead and take the rest of the day off, Iris."

"Thank you, sir." And with that, Iris turned and left, mumbling about Torch and water hoses.

Yosho then turned to Torch, "You can go as well, Mana. You need to stay off that ankle no matter how much better you say it feels." The older man then exited the greenhouse and left Torch with her newfound interest and friends.

"Thanks, Dad!" she called out to his retreating form. He turned and smiled and then continued walking to the main showroom. Mana then turned back towards Terry. "So, Terry, would you like to have lunch together?"

"I think that we should leave these two love birds alone," Joe said loudly to Andy as he winked back at Terry. "C'mon, Andy." Andy and Joe turned and walked out.

"Guys?" Terry called out, but they were already out the door.


A couple of days followed and Torch was going out on her first official date with Terry. She was busy in the kitchen making the final preparations for a picnic lunch in the park. The front door opened, and Iris and Achika walked into the apartment. Torch smiled at them as she finished folding a blanket.

"So, Torch," Achika began, "looking forward to your first date?"

"Absolutely, positively," Torch paused. "It's weird, I actually have butterflies in my stomach. I don't think I've ever been this nervous before a date before." She then went to the mirror to check herself over.

"You... nervous?" Iris asked. "Now that's a new concept. I was beginning to think you didn't get the jitters about anything."

"I guess I just don't want to goof up or do something stupid, y'know."

"Hearing about how things are when you get together," Achika said, "I don't think you'll have any trouble. I'm sure you'll get along great. You already seem to have so much in common."

"Thanks, guys."

-KNOCK KNOCK-

"Well, here I go." Torch opened the door to see Terry holding a single blood red rose.

"Hi!" They said in unison and then smiled at each other.

"Shall we go, Miss Kipagami?" Terry asked as he extended his arm and took the picnic basket from Torch's hands.

"Let's." Torch took his arm and they went out the door.


Achika turned to Iris. "Well, I'm going to my family's dojo to clean up some more today. You want to come along?"

"Sure, I've got nothing better to do today."

Achika and Iris left to get cleaning supplies. On the way to the Himuro family's dojo, the girls stopped by the park when they saw Terry and Torch on their picnic date. Iris shook her head as she saw them wrestling on the ground.

"She's in love," Iris said to Achika, who once again had her nose stuck in the pages of a book.

"Who?" she asked, not even glancing up.

Iris nodded towards Torch, "Who else?"

Achika put down her book in disbelief and shifted her gaze from Iris to the wrestling couple. "We're talking about Torch, right?"

"The one and only."

They both looked again as Terry flipped Torch into the air, who nimbly tucked to land back onto her feet. Terry then gestured for Torch to attack him once again, who smiled at him and launched a kick towards the veteran fighter.

"You know, I think you're right," Achika paused, "Just out of curiosity, I heard she was dating some other guy six or seven months back? What ever happened to him?"

"Who, Daisuke?" Iris winced as she recalled a certain past event between Torch and her ex. "Poor guy. Then again he did deserve it."

"What happened?"

"Well," Iris began, "they dated for about a week, and he wanted something she wasn't willing to give him. He decided to cheat on her..."

"Very bad idea."

"Exactly. You would think that he would have known better, you know how guys are. When she found out, Torch found them sitting together on campus and broke up with him... the hard way. You know how she gets when she's angry."

"Ouch! What an idiot!"

"You're telling me. It's not like they were serious or anything, but if there's one thing Torch really hates, it has to be a liar and a cheat."

The two got up from the park bench and started to walk off to Iris' car. As they reached it, Iris spotted a guy walking down the sidewalk on crutches with what looked to be his physical therapist. "Hey," Iris pointed the man out to Achika, " here come the jackass now. -Humph- He's finally walking."

Achika looked at Iris in surprise. "You mean Torch did all that to him?"

"He looks ten times better than how he used to, he was in a wheelchair."

Achika shivered at the thought of an angry Torch. "She is definitely someone I don't want to have mad at me." Achika paused for a moment. "What about you, Iris?"

Iris stopped dead in her tracks and glared at her. "What?"

"Have you ever seriously dated anyone before?"

Iris sighed and looked down at the ground. "Why me?"

"C'mon, just answer the question."

Iris realized that she would just keep bugging her until she answered. "In the past, yes. Currently, no. I'm single and loving it."

"Yeah, Iris, we'll just see about that," Achika said with a grin.

"Whatever. I prefer to be the loner."

"So, what do you like in a guy?" Silence. "Well?"

"Listen, Torch has tried to set me up numerous times, but nothing works out. I'm happy how things are, period."

"Pardon my saying so, but you never look happy. You always seem to be in some sort of funk," Achika gave her a stern look.

"Okay, okay. He would have to be sincere, understanding, respectful, dedicated... I don't know why, but I kinda go for the sensitive type... to a point. What I really want is someone who isn't afraid to be himself, not some pompous, arrogant buffoon," Iris paused. "I wouldn't want someone who's overly mushy either. That can be a big turn off."

Achika nodded in agreement. "I know what you mean. Especially when it comes to poetry...."

"Don't forget singing," Iris interjected.

Achika laughed. "Yeah, with some guys, it's disturbing the peace."

Iris turned towards a tree. "Speaking of disturbing...." Achika's eyes followed Iris' to see a man dressed in an Armani suit and wearing a pair of shades and a hat standing behind the tree.

"Isn't that one of HaHa-Man's goons?" Achika whispered.

"Yeah, that's Hopper. He's been following us ever since Terry..." Iris looked to see if Terry and Torch were still around. "Well, they left."

Achika nudged Iris. "Let's get out of here. He's giving me the creeps. Besides, we've got to get to my family's dojo."

"Sure. It's a lot better than getting SPIED ON!" Hopper jumped back and left. "There, that ought to do it!"

"Should we tell Torch where we're going in case she wants to come and help out later?" Achika thought for a moment before Iris interrupted her train of thought.

"I think it would be better if we just left her where she is," Iris replied after wincing at Achika's question. "After what happened at Mariko's, I'd hate to see her handling a broom. She'd probably bean me in the head with it."

****

After seeing the Fatal Fury anime, we felt that Terry deserved to be happy. So we set him up with a girl that won't die on him, Torch. Hope everyone likes the pairing, if not... oh, well, it's staying. (Sorry to Blue Mary fans, but we don't like her!)

My friend and I know we will catch some bad reviews for the Terry/Torch set-up, but it is essential to the story down the road. Next chapter you'll see Terry have some doubts about this.

I know some of you are saying there's no way this could happen given Terry's track record with women, bit I know for a fact that it does happen. When I met my husband (who was very tired of having his heart ripped out of his chest and almost was considering becoming a hermit **his exact words, I swear**, and I swore that I would not marry until I was out of med-school), it was love at first sight, and four months later we were married (I was 19 at the time, and we will be married for 5 wonderful years this december). As hard to believe as it is, it is possible. It was at my friends suggestion that we kind of base the relationship between Terry and Mana off of my relationship with my husband. Things won't happen that fast between Terry and Mana, but they will have a long-lasting relationship.

We wanted for him to try to have a bit of a lighter perspective on things, having Joe and Mai rub off on him a bit. In the game, he seems so happy, but in the anime he's depressed (you really can't blame him, though). One of our conflicts came from the fact that the character Lily McGuire from the anime was supposed to more less fill in for Lilly Kane (Billy's sister from the game), who is in love with Joe. In our fic, both characters exist.

Hopefully, this chapter hasn't discouraged you from reading on, and I hope that you continue to follow the lives of our characters.

Thanks!