Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ South Town ❯ Come Again? ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: King of Fighters along with all its characters is the property of Playmore.

()= thoughts

Come Again?

Achika walked to the campus fountain and let out a yawn. "It's only Wednesday and I'm already beat," she exclaimed as she joined Iris and Clay.

"I hear ya," replied Clay and began to rummage through his bag. "Where is it? Oh, here it is." He handed Achika a small business card. "The school editor is out of town, but as soon as he gets back he wants to schedule an interview. He's rather excited about your stuff."

"By the sounds of it, Achika, you probably already have the job," noted Iris. "He's one tough customer when it comes to writing."

Achika smiled as she placed the card in her bag. "All right. I hope I don't blow it."

"I'm sure you'll do fine," said Clay and glanced at his watch. "Well, gotta go. Catch you later, ladies, and Iris...."

"I know, three o'clock," said Iris. "Well, I might as well just hang around here until then."

"One hour to kill, huh? I'll hang out with you until I have to go to the library," said Achika.

"You're still doing that research," asked Iris as they walked towards the benches. "It's been nearly over two months. That some paper, if you ask me."

Achika only smiled and sat down on one of the benches.

Iris sat down on the other side and pulled out a sketch book along with a small case holding several pencils and erasers. She began to flip through the pages, keeping the book as close to her as possible.

"Can I see," asked Achika.

"Touch and die," replied Iris. "This one's personal."

"Sorry," she said. "It's like a diary to you, huh?"

"You can say that."

"Say, Iris," Achika began as she glanced across the campus. "I remember you saying something about that guy. What is his name again?"

Iris looked up. "Victor Owens. He's not really all up here," she said as she pointed to her head.

"Really?"

"I mean, don't get me wrong. He's a nice guy and all when he's 'normal' and a great friend to talk to, but when it comes to dating, he can get carried away."

Achika glanced at Iris with a suspicious look. "You speak as though you had some experience. Did you date this guy before?"

"It was more like caught in the middle. It was not too long ago. Victor had this crazy idea that he wanted to go after Torch."

"Are you serious," she asked. "Isn't she a bit mature for him? I mean she's in her... what, second year of medical school."

"Let me finish. Victor is the type who loves a challenge. He pursued her for some time and finally gave up and..." Iris sighed deeply and shuddered. "...Started to go after me. He still has up to this very day. Why can't he take a hint?"

"Hate to break it to you," warned Achika, "But he's coming this way."

Victor casually walked over to Iris and nodded towards Achika. "Iris, are you aware of the meeting we're having Friday?"

"Of course," replied Iris. "What is it that you want?"

"I was wandering if we could..."

"No."

"Then how about..."

"No."

"Saturday?"

"No."

"Mond ay after...."

"No. Listen, Victor, for the millionth time I am not interested in dating anyone at the moment. The only relationship we have is Business Club President/Business Club Secretary, nothing more."

Victor hung his head low. "I understand."

"I'll have the agenda ready by tomorrow and I'll be sure to give you a copy."

"That is if you can find me," reminded Victor.

"Oh, that's right, your father's holding that grand opening isn't he?"

Achika stood there, confused as well as surprised. <Okay> she thought. <First Iris rejects him and then she's sympathizing with him. What the hell is going on?>

Victor plopped himself on the bench between Achika and Iris, practically ignoring Achika. "Say, Clay told me that you play a pretty mean guitar."

"Excuse me," addressed Achika.

"Did he," replied Iris. "I told him not to tell anyone."

"Oh, so you do," stated Victor. "Great. Look, you know Clay and I started a band last year..."

"Well, will you look at the time," said Achika, still unheard.

"I'm well aware of the band."

"We need a substitute. I'm not asking you to be a full time member, just to be ready if we give you the call. What do you say?"

"Victor, you already know the answer to that..."

"Hey, I'm still here!" Achika exclaimed finally fed up.

Iris glanced up at Achika. "Oh, I'm sorry. Victor this is Achika."

Victor glanced at her. "Yes, I know. Mr. Mikado Himuro's daughter."

Achika was a bit surprised. "How did you know...."

"Simple, our fathers know each other. Let's see, um, back in 1992 my father held an opening ceremony marking the new shipping line to Japan. Your father was there as were you, but you were sitting off in one corner reading The Grapes of Wrath."

Achika thought for a moment. "That's... correct. You were there?"

"Yep. I found it rather strange." Victor then returned his focus to Iris. "What were you saying earlier?"

Achika became furious as Victor continued to talk to Iris as though she was not there. She stood up and stomped off in the direction towards the library. Halfway, she stopped and decided to go straight home. There was no way that she would be able to concentrate on her research.


Torch had several sheets of paper circling her while talking on the phone. "Yeah, Mark, I've got the my part of it done... All right... Remember to finish those diagrams, we need to do good on this project... Hey, me having the highest grade in class is beside the point... Talk to you later." Torch sighed. "Human anatomy, gotta love it."

Achika stormed into the apartment and threw her books down. "I don't believe it," she yelled, letting all her anger and frustration out.

Torch slowly peered her head from the doorway. "What caused _you_ to have a bitchy attitude?"

"It's that Victor!"

"Oh, I see you've met the pursuer of women. Did he try to make a pitch towards you?"

"He gave me the cold shoulder!"

Torch's eyes nearly bugged out of her head. "Wait a minute, are we talking about the same Victor Owens?"

"Iris and I were just talking and then he comes and butts in...." Achika let out a frustrated sigh. "I've never been treated so badly before in my life!" She sat down and stared blankly at the wall. "Grrrrr... why does he have to act like he's the king of the world."

Torch thought to herself about the situation. <Girl's never been ignored in all her life I take it.>

Achika leaned back and focused her gaze at the ceiling. "What's even worse is that Iris also ignored me completely. Not even a 'Catch you later.'"

"Well, once you get Victor going, it's usually hard to make him stop. Iris has a few serious faults, and being someone that listens to just about anyone is one of them. She'll listen to you no matter what the topic is. Iris was probably caught in the middle as she usually is and couldn't find any means of escape. She didn't ignore you intentionally. It happens to me a lot. You'll get used to it eventually." Torch tossed Achika a canned beverage. "There's also a few things about Victor that you need to know about. First, you know that he's from a very well-to-do family?"

"Of course, his father runs a business. I believe that he's one of my father's clients."

"Victor's the only child in that family. He's under a ton of pressure. From I what hear, his father was never happy with the majority of decisions Victor made. Victor's father had everything lined up for him. South Town Central, Yale and then the company.

"S. T. Central? Isn't that the private school?"

Torch nodded. "For the excessively wealthy families of this city. They're afraid that their kids would be beat up by us." She sat down on the floor across from Achika. "Victor disobeyed and went to South Town High instead and quickly enrolled into STU as soon as he graduated, without his father consent. Next his choice of friends. You met Clayton?"

"Iris' friend?"

"Yep. Victor prefers to hang out with the 'less fortunate' as the rich folks here call us. I hate to say this, but a handful of the rich spoiled brats here are stuck up. There's one that can't even stand the sight of me or Iris. We're grateful that Victor isn't like that all... just a little loco sometimes. Anyway, his father hates the very idea that his son would rather be amongst the 'little people' than those of their social upbringing. "

"So Victor probably thinks that I'm like the others," Achika said to herself. She knew first hand how some people that lived wealthy lives tend to look past others and treat them with very little or no respect.

"I'm sure Victor wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that at all," Torch continued. "You should feel fortunate that he didn't start drooling over you."

"Well, if you say what he is, then I guess there's no real reason to get angry at him," said Achika as she calmed down.

Torch nodded and looked at the time. "Off to work I go. See you later."

"Bye."


The next day....

Achika scanned the halls of the business wing hoping to catch Victor after the business club officers' meeting Iris told her that they were holding. Many of the professors were dressed in suits, some with ties that were unmentionably horrible. She walked around the wing and took her time in reading the flyer that was posted on the bulletin board.

"That's a mess of job opportunities," she whispered as she glanced at the list. Achika wasn't surprised to see the Howard Connection amongst the line-up. The sound of a door opening startled her and saw the young man she was looking for. "Excuse me, Victor."

Victor stopped and turned around. "What is it?" he asked coolly.

Achika tried to hold back her temper. "Look, what is it that you have against me? Just because we come from the same social class doesn't mean I act like the others! I was deeply hurt due to your behavior yesterday! Have you no shame," she yelled and then stormed off.

Victor stood there just as Iris walked over to him. "What was that about," she asked.

"I wish I knew," he replied.



Well, that's the end of this chapter. Hopefully it didn't seem too pointless. We were just hoping to establish the fact the Achika was a bit of a spoiled brat. With time, she'll get over it.

Next chapter: the introduction of a certain lone wolf into the life of one girl in particular.