Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ South Town ❯ Double Take ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Here's yet another chapter. It's a little silly, but Achika gets to know her new roomates even better.

Disclaimer: King of Fighters along with all its characters is the property of Playmore.

()=thoughts

Double Take

Achika quietly studied the flower arrangement that was on the counter as Master Yosho Kipagami was pruning his beloved bonsai tree. It was Torch's day to make delivery runs while Iris stayed at the store. Achika hung around the store, usually to kill time and to keep Mariko company since everyone else was up and about.

"Is something troubling you, young one," Yosho asked.

Achika looked up. "Not really."

"Oh?"

"Well, I guess I'm feeling a bit guilty."

"About what?"

"About judging other people. Here I thought Iris was going to be the violent one, but it turns out that Torch is the lion while Iris is the sheep."

"And you feel guilty," Yosho asked without trying to laugh. "I'm sorry, but I find this rather humorous."

"Why's that?"

"I've told you before that Iris dresses that way to make people think she was violent so that would leave her alone. She's gentle as, excuse the pun, a flower. She wouldn't hurt a soul. She hates fighting other people." Yosho laughed to himself. "And so do the other people she hangs around with."

"With Torch being the exception," Achika asked jokingly.

Yosho laughed again, but stopped just as the door opened. "Good afternoon... Well, I haven't seen you around lately."

Achika turned to see a young Afro-American approaching the counter. The young man waved and flashed a smile. "Good day, Mr. Kipagami. Is Iris in?"

"Same place as usual," Yosho replied and pointed towards the office door.

"Wait a minute," Achika whispered and dug through her bag to search for the school newspaper. "That's him," she noted as she found what she was looking for.

Yosho peered over her shoulder. "Yes, that is him. South Town University's reigning Tae Kwan Do champion and school photographer."

"E. Clayton. What does the E stand for?"

"He'd rather not have people know. He hates the name. We just call him Clay."

Achika glanced at the office door to see him and Iris begin a conversation. "Iris' boyfriend?"

Yosho laughed once again. "Not quite. He's her best friend."

"Hey, Achika," Iris called out and summoned her to come into the office.

Achika slowly walked inside. "What's up?"

"Achika Himuro, this is my best friend, Clay. Clay, meet Achika."

"Hi, there," Clay said and reached out to shake her hand.

Achika exchanged the greeting. "Hello." <Wow, he's stronger than he looks.>

Clay was about average height. His white shirt fit very nicely on his upper torso. His head was shaved bald and his dark skin was contrasted by his white teeth and the whites of his eyes. "I saw your application for the reporter position. It's great to place a face with it."

"Oh, really," Achika said.

"Clay's family owns a salvage yard and garage just outside of town. They're the ones to go to if you ever have car problems," Iris continued.

"I'll keep that in mind," Achika said.

"And enter the poor little rich boy," Clay noted as he looked out into the main floor of the store.

The two girls looked as well to see another young man. His brown hair was past his chin and the rest pulled back into a ponytail. He wore a polo shirt with a pair of khakis.

"Victor Owens," Iris said. "His father is currently the head of Owens Inc."

"The same company who owns part of the shipping yard," Achika asked.

"One and only," Clay said. "Well, I have to get going. Talk to you later, Iris. It was nice meeting you, Achika. I'll put in a good word for you with the editor."

"Thanks," Achika replied and watched as the two men greeted each other and walked out of the store. She could have sworn that the other guy winked towards Iris. "I have to admit that Clay isn't a bad looking guy."

"Oh, yeah," Iris agreed.

"How long have you know each other?"

"Since grade one," Iris replied as she returned to what she was doing.

"Wow. Even I haven't maintained a friendship that long. You would think people would usually 'grow' away from each other. I honestly would have not guessed that you two were friends."

"That's what a bunch of people say. Clay's like a big brother to me." The phone on the desk began to ring and Iris answered.

Achika went ahead and returned to the seat near the counter. "I thought Iris claimed that she wasn't the social type."

"She usually isn't," Yosho replied, "But when you compare her to Torch, she's truly silent."

"That's another thing that's been bothering me," Achika added. "Why is everyone either afraid or nervous around Torch?"

Yosho paused from his pruning and thought on how he would respond. "Well, Torch is, how could I put this, an action junkie. If there's a brawl, chances are she'll get involved for the fun of it."

Achika was taken aback. "She joins brawls for fun? I happened to witness one last night at the Pao Pao and... she was... having a blast.... Oh, my." She glanced back at Iris who was still on the phone. "Iris wasn't happy at all with what happened. Come to think of it, she wasn't even excited about fighting Robert."

"Iris doesn't really like to fight whereas fighting is part of Torch's character. Not a day goes by without Torch becoming involved in at least one fight. Challenge Torch, and she'll gladly accept. Challenge Iris, and chances are she'll find a way to talk herself out of it."

"Torch claims that Iris is her only equal, is that really true?"

Yosho nodded. "Everytime they spar, it always ends in a draw. It's as though as they can read each other's minds."

"I see," she replied. "Is there something else that I should now about those two before I jump to any other conclusions?"

Yosho laughed. "Not a huge fan of surprises are you?" He calmed down a bit and then cleared his throat. "As you can see, Iris isn't much of the party type. Torch on the other hand, a very social person indeed. Iris likes to cover up while Torch, well; she likes to "show more skin." It's rather difficult during the summer when Torch wears those ridiculous shorts that go up beyond the thigh...."

"Daisy dukes," Iris told him as she walked past them and grabbed what she needed from the counter and headed back into the office.

"Those," continued Yosho. "Men would come and crowd the area until I have to scare them off."

"And I suppose Iris would just ignore a guy making hits on her," she asked.

Yosho nodded. "In all her life that I'm aware of, she's only had one steady boyfriend. Torch... well, I'm guessing about three to four. I still pity the last one."

Iris stepped up to him again. "Trust me, he deserved it." With that she stepped outside the store and began to refill a few of the buckets with fresh flowers.

"What happened," asked Achika.

"Well,...."

"Excuse me, Mr. Kipagami," a store employee said. "There's a phone call for you."

"Oh, very well," Yosho replied.

"I need to go as well," said Achika. "Maybe we'll finish this discussion later."

Yosho smiled and nodded as Achika waved good-bye and then stepped into the office.

"I'll catch you later," Achika said to Iris as she walked towards the corner.

"Later," replied Iris.

"IRIS KIPAGAMI, PREPARE TO DIE!!!"

Achika stopped dead in her tracks and quickly turned around. Time seemed to slow down, as she could do nothing and watch in fright as a figure came leaping from out of nowhere. "Iris!? Why isn't she moving?"

Iris shook her head and stuck out her left elbow.

Master Yosho stepped outside the store. "Torch, how many times do I have to tell you, no ambushes in front of the store. It frightens away customers!"

Torch remained where she was with her right arm bent to where she could clearly strike Iris' throat. Iris was just at the right height to have her elbow close to Torch's sternum.

Achika's eyes widened. "Wow, both of them could have delivered a fatal blow. Master Yosho wasn't kidding." Relieved to see that it was only Torch that threatened Iris' life, she made her way to library where she could continue her research to find her father's tormentor.

*****
Like I said, a little silly. Thanks for reading!