Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ The Fire ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hot, angry flames licked up the walls of the large playroom in the Shinra Orphanage. The terrified screaming of children, none older than five years of age, could be heard over the roaring of the fire. One child, a three year old girl with silvery hair, crawled on all fours, trying to escape. Her nose was filled with the scent of burning wood, leather, and fabric. There was also the smell of burning hair and flesh that mingled with the scents of the burning room. Fear filled the little girl, but instincts that she had been born with went into overdrive; escape. The smoked began to sting her eyes and she began to cough. She stuck her hand into something warm and very wet. Through her tearing eyes, she could see that her hand was in a pile of something that looked very bloody. She scrambled away and continued to search, desperate to get out.
 
Outside the building, firefighters tried their best to try to put out the flames, but despite all their efforts, the flames seemed to grow, growling with hunger to consume the entire building. Tseng stared up at the building, could hear the screams of the children inside, knowing that the people who did this were going to pay. He looked around as Shinra walked over to him, his young son, Rufus, beside him. Tseng looked at his boss before turning back to the burning building. “I will find those who are responsible for this, sir,” he told the president of the Shinra Company.
 
“Don't bother, Tseng,” Shinra said softly, “the people who done this are long gone by now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had locked themselves in that building to prevent punishment for this. Those specimens in there were very important to this company. It's a shame to lose them. But, alas, they were a failure anyway, so maybe it's not too much of a loss.” He then looked down at his son and said, “When you take over, son, you must never let people deceive you. Stay firm and have much power, and you can prevent these disasters.”
 
Tseng looked back to the building, sudden anger filling him. Basically, Shinra was saying that those children in there were a failure. He knew that every one of those children in there had been genetically infused with Mako and Jenova cells, making them a complete different species of human, or that was what Shinra had hoped. Tseng knew of the tests that the scientists ran on the children, but there weren't any good results. He felt sadness for the children, whose dying screams could still be heard coming from the building. They weren't even given a chance at life.
 
Back inside the burning building, the little girl found herself trapped. She sat down and looked around her, eyes wide and frightened. There were less screams than before, meaning that the others were gone. The little girl curled into the fetal position and began to cry. Suddenly, a dark figure came before her and she was shrouded in a cool darkness. She looked up and stared in fear at the creature that stood over her. It looked like a dog that had a crest of hair that went from its forehead to its shoulders. It had red fur and a long, cat-like tail that had a tuff of fire at the end. The creature was huge and the little girl whimpered in fear, afraid that it was going to hurt her. Instead the creature nuzzled her gently and said in a deep, kind voice, “Don't be afraid. I'm here to help you.” The little girl looked up at the creature and saw that his eyes were kind. She then wrapped her arms around his neck, crying and shaking fearfully. The creature nuzzled her, giving her comfort. Finally, he said, “Get onto my back. I'm going to get you out of here, little one.”
 
The little girl nodded and climbed onto the creature's back. She gripped on tightly to the creature's neck and buried her face into his crest of hair. The smoke and heat were beginning to get to her and as the world around her began to black out, she heard the creature say, “Don't worry, little one. I'll take care of you.”