Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ The Run In ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Fire, heat and smoke filled the room. She could hear the screaming of the other children as they tried to escape, as they were burned alive. She tried to escape, but the fire was all around her. She tried to breathe, but smoke filled her lungs, her throat and breathing passage scorched by the intense heat. She couldn't see; the smoke was blinding her. And the flames just kept getting hotter…
 
Aneilla woke up with a cry, expecting the flames and the heat to be real, but she found herself still in the old warehouse on the outskirts of Midgar. She sighed softly and pushed herself to her feet. The other orphan kids, ages ranging from six to seventeen, were still sleeping, so Aneilla slipped out quietly. She went down to the first floor, where more kids were sleeping. She snuck by these kids as well and finally got outside. Dawn was beginning to break on the horizon and Aneilla could see the tall buildings of Midgar. Her Mako-enhanced, glowing turquoise-blue eyes narrowed slightly as she heard the sounds of the Shinra Company beginning to power up for a new day. Not like they ever slept anyway… She looked up as a helicopter tore past in the sky above and she decided that it was time to get going. She never stayed at the warehouse long. Being twenty-two years old, she was the oldest who roosted in that warehouse for the night. She didn't feel like she belonged among the kids, although she had been an orphan for most of her life; even since the fire.
 
Aneilla shuddered as she headed towards the city. She didn't have a lot of memories of her young childhood, but the fire at the Shinra Orphanage was one of them. That and all those tests she had been put through when she was old enough to talk and walk. She also knew that she was different than normal humans, and that if Shinra got whiff that she was alive, they would be on her like a hound on a fox. That's why she lived the homeless life, to stay under the radar. She reached the main part of the city and, brushing her long, silvery hair from her face with a hand, she headed towards the center of Midgar. Another day has begun, and she first had to get food, then a job that would give her pay and last her the day.
*~*~*
“Cloud, you have a delivery to make,” Tifa called from the back room.
 
Cloud looked up from his drink and moaned softly. He had woken up only fifteen minutes ago and hardly gotten into his coffee yet, and now he had to go out. I demand overtime for going out so damn early in the morning… With a sigh, he pushed away from the counter and walked to the back room. He found Tifa standing on a stool, taking down a package from among the many on the shelf. He leaned against the door, waiting patiently as Tifa took down the package and stepped down from the stool. She turned and jumped slightly at the sight of Cloud. Cloud smiled slightly and stepped forward to take the package from Tifa. “Where's it going?” he asked.
 
“Downtown, at the bakery on Fifths Street. Guy says that he wants it as quickly as possible.”
 
“Well, I'll get it there as quickly as I can,” Cloud said, turning out. He walked through the bar and had to hold the package over his head and do a slight spin as Yuffie came tearing in like a bat out of hell. He stared at the ninja and asked, “Where's the fire?”
 
Yuffie looked at Cloud and, instead of answering his question, she demanded, “I need to see Tifa. Tell me where she is.”
 
Cloud nodded towards the back room. “In there.” Then he turned and walked out to where his bike was waiting for him. He mounted Fenrir and, placing the package in front of him, started the bike and pulled out onto the street. He took the back roads to avoid traffic, vehicle and pedestrian alike. He got to the bakery in ten minutes and parked in front of the tiny building that was squashed between a huge printing factory and a thrift shop. Package under his arm, he walked into the bakery.
 
The warm smell of baking bread and pastry struck him in the face as he walked in. He saw a round, short man with a balding head ordering the younger workers around. Cloud stood at the counter and waited until the man noticed him. The head baker walked over, reminding Cloud of the bobbing head of a pigeon. The man beamed when Cloud handed him the package. The man had him wait as he went to get money for the fee for the delivery, leaving Cloud to stand waiting again. He heard a bell ring and looked around as someone walked through the front door. It was a young woman, with long silver hair and blue eyes. She wore worn clothing that had definitely seen better days and she was quite thin for her height. She looked to be about twenty, but he wasn't quite sure. The woman walked to the counter and stood beside him. She looked and smelt clean, despite her state of dress and physical built. She gave him a slight smile, but kept her eyes downcast. The baker came back and at the sight of the woman his round face broke out into a smile.
 
“Aneilla,” he said cheerfully, “how are you, my dear?”
 
“I'm fine, Marko,” the woman said, her voice soft but steady. The girl reminded Cloud of Aerith, except that the girl seemed tougher in a way, less fragile despite how she looked.
 
Marko frowned slightly and said, “You don't look too well, dear. Have you been feeling well?”
 
“I feel fine, just had a rough night, that's all. Anyway, you try living in my condition and looking perfect.”
 
The baker sighed and then he reached under the counter and took out a brown paper bag. “Here you go; fresh from the oven.” Then he turned to Cloud and handed him the money. “And sorry for the wait. Thank you for delivering the package.”
 
Cloud nodded and the baker went back to work. Cloud turned to head out, forgetting momentarily about the young woman. He almost ran into her and he stumbled slightly. The woman looked up at him and shock filled Cloud. Mako eyes met Mako eyes for a brief moment before the girl realized what she was looking at. Suddenly she was gone and the only thing that let Cloud know that she went through the door was the tinkling of the bell. Cloud walked out after her, thoughts spinning in his head. He was sure of it; the woman's eyes had the glow of Mako to them. When he got to his bike, he looked around for the girl, but she was no where in sight. Swinging a leg over his bike, he sat down and looked around once more before starting the bike. As he headed back towards the bar, the thoughts continued to real through his head. Who was she, and why did she have Mako in her. Was it possible that she was Soldier? No, she can't be, he thought, her built and the way she ran when she realized that our eyes were the same are proof of that. As he drove, he caught a glimpse of silvery hair going into an alleyway. Cloud whipped his bike over to the sidewalk, getting a few curses by some pedestrians. He shut off the bike and dismounted quickly. He hurried down the alleyway, hoping that he didn't lose her.
 
Something came at him from the side and Cloud had just enough time to dodge and roll before his head was kicked off. He looked up and stared at the woman, who was crouched a few feet away, silver hair hanging in her face, eyes glowing brightly. “Are you with them?” she snarled.
 
Cloud slowly stood, holding his hands out slightly in front of him. The quiet girl that he had seen in the bakery had just become a fierce fighter. Maybe she is Soldier… “What do you mean by `them'?”
 
“Shinra,” the girl spat, reminding Cloud of a scalded cat. “Are you one of those bastards from Shinra?”
 
Cloud shook his head. “No, I'm not. Never really want anything to do with them, but I guess that if you're linked to them once, there's no getting free…”
 
“Then why did you follow me, if you're not with them?”
 
“Your eyes,” Cloud said, “They're like mine, and I know that you noticed it too.”
 
The woman's body relaxed slightly and she slowly stood. Despite her appearance, she had the strength and agility of a Soldier. Her movements were graceful and reminded Cloud of a lioness. She stared at him, her eyes filled with a sudden disbelief. “You're… not like me, though. You're different.” She looked suddenly sad and then she began to take off again. Cloud moved quickly and grabbed her arm.
 
“Wait,” he said, “what do you mean? Are you a Soldier?”
 
She looked at him and Cloud saw the anger flare in her eyes again. “I am not,” she snapped. “I never worked for Shinra.”
 
Cloud sighed and then asked, “Then what did you mean? Look, if you're running from Shinra, I can help you. Me and my friends… we can protect you from them.”
 
She looked at him and pulled away so quickly that Cloud didn't realize it until he noticed that he was gripping open air. “I don't need to be protected by them,” she said coldly. “As far as they know, I died a long time ago, and I want to keep it that way.” And then she was gone before Cloud could say anything more. He looked around, but he didn't see which way she went. It was like she just vanished. Sighing, he turned and left the alley and returned to his bike. He saw a few kids checking it out and maybe planning on doing more than that. He came up behind them and cleared his throat. The kids spun around and Cloud glared at them, making them scurry off. Sighing again, he mounted the bike and started it up. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end; it was the feeling that someone was watching him. But when he looked behind and around him, he didn't see anyone, so he turned back forward and drove back towards the bar. All the while, he couldn't help but think of that woman. Who was she, and what did she mean that he was “different” from her. She's connected to Shinra somehow, though, he thought. And whatever it is, it can't be good. They think that she's dead, and the way she put it, if they knew differently, they would be after her in a moment. So she is an importance… somehow…
 
Returning to the bar, he saw a familiar truck parked in the front and couldn't suppress a smile. Marlene must be thrilled now that Barret was home. Shutting down the bike and getting off, he headed into the bar and didn't even step through the door before hearing the excited chattering of the eight year old girl. Entering the bar, he saw Barret's huge form sitting on one of the benches with little Marlene on his lap. The girl was talking up a storm and Barret had a big grin on his face. Taking a quick look around the large room, he saw Yuffie sitting on one of the tables, legs swinging slightly, and Red XIII lying a few feet from the door, his head up and looking at Barret and Marlene, his long flame-tipped tail moving slowly across the floor. As Cloud was beginning to wonder where Cait Sith was, who was always seen with Red, the cat-like creature walked out from behind the bar, humming as he carried a plate full of food. He gave a quick wave to Cloud before clambering up a bench with the plate and taking a seat. Tifa was at her usual place behind the bar and smiled up at Cloud as he walked in.
 
At the sound of his entrance, Marlene looked up and grinned. She jumped down from Barret's lap and ran to Cloud, hugging his mid-section tightly. “Cloud,” she exclaimed. “Barret's come home!”
 
Cloud smiled and wrapped one arm around the girl. “I can see that Marlene,” he said with a slight chuckle. “And I figured as much, when I could hear you yakking from outside.”
 
Marlene's grin got bigger and at the bar, Barret laughed, standing up as he did so. He walked over to Cloud and the two of them clasped hands in greeting. “How're you doin' there, Spiky? Seems like it's been ages.”
 
“I'm good,” Cloud said. “Just finished making a delivery. And by the way, Tifa…” Cloud looked past Barret to look at Tifa. “We have to make them pay extra if they want something to be delivered before 7 a.m. I hardly had time to wake up this morning.”
 
“Well…” Marlene said, looking up at him, “if you didn't sleep in so late…”
 
Yuffie cackled as Cloud looked down at Marlene and said, “And since when did you get so smart-mouthed? I think you've been spending too much time with Yuffie.” He lifted the girl up and swung her up to rest her on his hip. She's starting to get too big for this... He pinched her nose, causing her to giggle. “And six-thirty is not late. Excuse me if I'm not crazy enough to wake up at five like the rest of you.”
 
Barret laughed and said, “Alright, you stop squabbling. I promised her a day out and she's got to get ready. So get going girl, or we aren't going anywhere.”
 
Marlene nodded and Cloud let her down. As Marlene rushed up the stairs, Cid came walking in from the back, cleaning his hands off with a rag. Tifa gave Cid a look, as if daring him to touch anything with his dirty hands, before turning back to Cloud and said, “So the delivery went well?” she asked.
 
Cloud nodded and then frowned, remembering the other events that had transpired that morning. “Yeah, delivery went well, but I had an interesting run-in during it.” Then he told them about the girl he had run into, telling them everything to how she looked, acted and everything that she had said to him. Once done, everyone looked slightly surprised and Cloud could also see some worry.
 
“So basically,” Cid said, “if Shinra knew this girl was alive, that wouldn't be good. She's definitely keeping under the radar for good reasoning. And having the same abilities as a Soldier, but had never been one in her life… who else agrees with me that this girl may be a little dangerous?”
 
“I don't know,” Barret said, shaking his head. “The Mako-eyes is what set me off. That girl must have Mako running through her veins for her eyes to have that glow to them. Probably just as much as Cloud has, and that amount nearly killed him. Can't imagine how a girl, especially in that condition, could have survived that.”
 
“What are you saying?” Yuffie exclaimed, glaring at Barret. “That women are weak? `Cause if it is, you've got something coming…”
 
“I ain't sayin' that,” Barret grumbled at the young ninja. “I'm just saying that a woman living like that couldn't possibly survive a procedure like that.”
 
“Unless she was born with that Mako in her.” Everyone looked around at Red, who was standing up. He looked up at them, his eyes serious. And Cloud could see something else in his old friend's eyes; memories that Red would rather forget.
 
“Do you know something, Red?” Cloud asked him.
 
“I may,” Red said softly, sighing, “Although it was a long time ago, and I don't know much myself. Vincent may, or even Reno and Rude, but I only know what I found out, which probably isn't half of it.”
 
“Well, what do you know?” Barret asked, folding his arms across his chest.
 
“Twenty years ago, Shinra had an orphanage that was filled with children. But these children all had Mako eyes, like Cloud's and the girl he described. When each of the children was still in the womb, they had been infused with Mako and Jenova cells, making them a completely different sub-species of humans. They were called the Mako Children, or Mako Eyes. But when the oldest of the children was only five, the orphanage was set on fire, the arsonists locking themselves inside with all the children. It was reported that no one in that building came out alive.”
 
“That's terrible,” Tifa said softly, eyes filled with sadness.
 
“Why would they want to kill those children?” Yuffie exclaimed, a little angry, although the event had occurred before she had been born.
 
Red shook his head. “Like I said, I don't know everything, but I believe that there were people who were afraid of these children, because they were much different than the normal children. Unlike Soldier, these children were born with the Jenova cells and Mako fused with their other cells and DNA. Who knows what kind of powers they may have possessed. They could have become much more powerful than any of the Soldiers.”
 
“Well, one defiantly survived the fire,” Cloud said, looking at the others. “This girl was not like a normal human. I actually had mistaken her for Soldier before she “kindly” told me that she never worked for Shinra.”
 
Cid frowned and rubbed under his chin thoughtfully. “Cloud,” he said, “do you think you can find this girl again? And maybe persuade her into coming here?”
 
Cloud shook his head. “I don't think she can be found unless she wants to be found. And she's a lot quicker than I am and I hate to say this, but I think she could easily kick my ass.”
 
“And that's saying something,” Barret muttered.
 
“Well, then,” Cid said, “we'll just have to stay quiet about this, and make sure that Shinra doesn't hear a whisper about this girl. We'll protect her, even if she doesn't know that we are.”
 
Cloud nodded and he turned back to Red, about to ask if he knew any more. But he was gone. Cloud frowned and noticed that Cait Sith had also slipped away. He looked up at Yuffie, who shrugged slightly. He sighed and walked up to the bar. Cid returned to the garage in the back and Barret began to head up the stairs, yelling for Marlene. Cloud sat on a stool and Tifa handed him a cup of coffee. She frowned when she looked into his face as he took the cup. “What is it?” she asked softly.
 
Cloud shook his head and said, “I have a feeling that Red may know more that he's saying. And I do not like any of what's going on right now.”
 
Tifa frowned and said, “I don't know. About Red, I'm sure he'll tell us more when he's ready. But, I don't think that anything bad will happen, so I don't think you have to worry too much.”
 
Cloud looked up at Tifa, his blue eyes glowing slightly. “Think about it Tifa… That girl may be a powerful sub-species of human. If she falls into the wrong hands, it could be the end for all of us. Or if she decides that she wants to take revenge on the world that created her and the world that destroyed her, there'll be no way to stop her, for me to stop her.”
 
Tifa bite her lip and leaned back, hands on the top of the counter. “Now that you put it that way,” she whispered, “this may be worse than I thought.
 
*~*~*
 
James flicked open his silver lighter and lit the cigarette that he held between his lips. The tip glowed brightly and he inhaled deeply. Snapping the lighter shut and slipping it back into his jacket pocket, he turned to face the two guys behind him, holding the cigarette with two fingers. His two companions were leaning against the wall, looking at ease despite the fierce look in their eyes. One was big-muscled like a weight lifter with almost black skin, his head shaved bald. The other was leaner but still muscular, with reddish-brown skin and jet black, shoulder-length hair. Both of their eyes were a dark muddy brown, and if James hadn't known it himself, he would have never guessed that they were half-brothers.
 
James himself was lanky, less bulky than the other two, although hard muscle could be seen under his dark blue shirt, and had straight, angular features. He had porcelain skin, golden eyes and untidy, bronze-colored hair. He looked more boyish than the other two, more like a teenager than the twenty-four year old man that he was. He took another drag on his cigarette before dropping it and crushing out the lighted tip with the toe of his boot. Really have to quit… he thought. James looked back up at the two men and asked, “So, what about Shinra? Have you found a way to get in yet?”
 
“Besides getting captured and having them drag us in,” the black man said, his voice deep and baritone, “there is no way in, none that we can see.”
 
“There has to be some way in,” James said angrily. “Shinra isn't that perfect.”
 
“We can capture one of the Turks,” the other said, folding his arms across his chest. “I bet that they will tell us what we want to know.”
 
James barked out a laugh and shook his head. “Honesty, Zeke, do you think that it'll be easy to get a hold of a Turk? And even if we did, I'm sure they've been trained to endure any type of torture and not spill the information they're being asked for.” He turned to the black man and asked, “Got a better idea Bear?”
 
Bear shook his head and said, “Sorry, James, I don't. I wish I could think of some way to get into Shinra for you.”
 
“Why the hell do you want in Shinra anyway?” Zeke asked.
 
James glared at Zeke and growled deep in his throat. “I didn't crawl out of three feet of burnt rubble to live my life like a normal human. I want to know why the hell someone tried to kill me and had killed over fifty of the others that were in that orphanage with me. I want to know why I, only four years old, was put through tests that were meant for adults and why I'm different from humans. I want to know what makes me a Mako Child.”
 
Zeke chuckled and said, “You really want me to believe that you're one of those freaks that were cooked in that building twenty years ago?”
 
James snarled and before Zeke knew it, James had a hold of the bigger man's throat and hurled him across the room. Before Zeke could pull himself to his feet, James got a hold of his throat again and slammed him up against the wall. James glared up at the man, whose face was beginning to turn purple from the lack of oxygen, his golden eyes pulsing with an inner light. “Watch what you say, Zeke,” he said softly and coldly. “I can gut you like a fish right now if I wanted to. I know what I am, and now you know too. Watch your step around me and don't you dare piss me off.” Then he allowed the big man to drop to the floor. James turned away from Zeke, breathing heavily as he tried to control the tide of anger flowing through him. He really hated using his strength on normal people, but that was how he had had to survive. That, and keeping under Shinra's radar. “Bear, find me a way into Shinra's files,” James said to the other man. “I don't care how, just do it.”
 
Bear nodded and walked out. James followed the bigger man out of the room and he walked out of the abandoned building that sat on the southern outskirts of Midgar. He stopped and looked out over the city that was beginning to turn in for the night. His golden eyes returned to normal, but there was still the normal faint light that always glowed from within. He looked up to the top of the two storied building, crouched slightly and jumped up high, landing lightly onto the roof. He turned to face the city and sat, resting his arms on his upraised knees. He stared out; not really seeing what was in front of him, but the images that always flashed in his mind, when he was alone. Roaring, scorching flames… The screaming of the other children as they were burnt alive. James was clawing at a wall, trying to escape, his fingers and palms bloody. Everything falling in over his head and then him crawling out of the still burning timbers, the hot wood burning his skin…
 
James ripped free of his nightmares with a shuddering gasp. How he had survived that night, he didn't know, but he was ready for payback. He was going to make Shinra pay. James looked out over the city again and wondered, as he always did, if there had been anyone else who had survived that fire. But then he shook his head at the thought. I barely made it out alive, he thought. If that elderly lady hadn't found me, I would have died from my injuries. How could have anyone else made it out? Sighing, James rested his chin on his arms and stared out at the city, so many thoughts reeling through his head that he could hardly tell one from the other.