Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Secrets ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“So, umm, Red,” Cait Sith said, perched on the shoulders of his old friend. “Where exactly are we going?”
 
“We're looking for someone,” Red said as he walked through the outer edge of Midgar, the part where the homeless and criminals lived. Red knew that she would be here, somewhere. And by the description Cloud had given, he knew that he was right.
 
As soon as Cloud gave the full description of his run-in with the woman, Red knew that it had to be Aneilla. He picked up his pace, making Cait Sith bounce on his shoulders. He hadn't seen the girl in a while and he felt bad about it. It had been he who had raised her after saving her from the fire. He had heard the screams of the children and had somehow made it into the building. He had found Aneilla, curled up in a corner, crying because she knew that she was going to die. But Red had saved her, carried her out of the burning building and out of the city. He raised her outside of the city, in the mountains where he lived. He cared for her until she was sixteen, which was when he had been captured by Hojo and then had joined Cloud's group soon after. When he was finally able to return home, she was gone. He had found her a year later in Midgar and had been overjoyed to know that she was alright. He kept in touch, but he didn't make a habit of it because he didn't want Shinra to notice.
 
Red picked up her scent and he followed it to an old warehouse. He sniffed the air and went around back to find several homeless kids surrounding a fire in a tall metal barrel. He spotted Aneilla sitting nearby and he turned his head to look at Cait Sith. “Stay here,” he told the feline creature, “and wait for me. I need to be alone.”
 
Cait Sith nodded and hopped off of Red, who then walked over to the huddled group of kids. Some of the kids looked at Red in surprise or fear while other looked at him in recognition, those who knew that he was friends with Aneilla. Red walked over to the silver haired woman, who smiled at him. She wrapped her arms around his neck in an embrace and then released him. “What brings you here, Nanaki?” she asked him. She was the only one who called him that, having known him before Hojo kidnapped him.
 
Red sat down next her, turning his head towards her so he could speak without anyone else hearing. “I believe you ran into a friend of mine today,” he told her.
 
Aneilla frowned for a moment and then her eyes widened slightly. “That blonde haired man… from the bakery?” she asked.
 
Red nodded and chuckled slightly. “Yes,” he said, “that was my friend, Cloud.”
 
“Cloud…” Aneilla mumbled, “That's an odd name…”
 
Red chuckled again and then he looked at her in the eye. “Why are you still living like this, Aneilla?” he asked her sadly. “I know you can live a normal life without Shinra finding you out.”
 
Aneilla shook her head, her lips pressed together. “I can't risk that Nanaki,” she told him, “I feel safer this way. Living like this, I know that they can never find me.”
 
“Then why don't you live with me and my friends,” Red said, “I would feel much better, knowing that you are safe.”
 
Aneilla gave Red a look and smirked. “Did your friend Cloud send you?” she asked, “Because he made the same offer to me.”
 
“They don't even know I'm here, or that I even know you.”
 
“Oh,” she said. She smiled at Red and said, “Thanks for the offer, Nanaki, but I'm alright for now. If I need any help, I know who to come to.”
 
Red sighed, knowing that it was a lost cause to try to make her change her mind. When Aneilla had her mind set, there was no possible way to change it. Red stood and he looked at Aneilla one last time. “If you need me…”
 
“Don't worry,” Aneilla said, interrupting him. She tapped her head and gave him a slight grin. “I'll be able to find you.”
 
Red nodded, understanding, before turning and heading back to where Cait Sith was waiting for him to return. Red walked by the feline creature, who scurried up beside him. “That was the girl Cloud ran into, isn't it?” Cait Sith asked.
 
Red looked at Cait and, instead of answering his question, he said, “Cloud and the others are not to know of this. I had promised that I wouldn't let anyone know who she is or where she is. It's the only way that I can truly protect her. If Shinra finds out about her, I know that there will be no way that I can stop them from taking her back into the lab.”
 
Cait Sith nodded and said, “I won't say anything, but why can't you tell the others.”
 
“It's not that I can't trust them, it's just that… I can't tell them. I can't take that chance.”
 
Cait Sith nodded and then he sighed. “You know that if Cloud and the others find out that you've known her and know where she is, they will be upset that you lied to them. Especially Cloud…”
 
“Yes, I know,” Red said, “but I also think that they will understand as well.”
 
“You're probably right,” Cait Sith said. He jumped back up onto Red's back and patted his head. “Where to next?”
 
“Home,” Red said, “I have a feeling that Vincent is back at the bar, and I want to know if he knows more about Aneilla's past than she and I do.”
 
*~*~*
 
James stood against a wall of an abandoned, partly destroyed, building in the old part of Midgar. The outskirts of the city were still nothing more than rubble, even though it had been close to three years since the meteor touched down onto the city. It was here that the homeless and the vagabonds of the city lived, including those that didn't want to be found or discovered. Like me, he thought. In one hand, he held a paper bag that had a breakfast sandwich in it and in his other hand he held a Styrofoam cup with coffee in it. It was a new day, the sun already high over Midgar, the building James stood next to cast a shadow over him. Although it was already late into the morning, he knew that the person he was waiting for would be coming this way at any moment. And sure enough, he could hear the squeaking wheels of a metal cart coming from around the corner. James counted down from three and smiled when he saw a little old bag lady come around the corner.
 
The woman looked to be in her late seventies, maybe even early eighties, but despite her age, she was still strong and tough enough to live in the world in which she was placed. She was leathery and wrinkled and thin, just a few inches over five feet tall. The hands that gripped were lined with small scars, the fingers slightly crooked, but they were as strong as a farmer's. She wore a brown woolen dress under a heavy brown coat, a worn knitted cap over her shoulder-length, thin gray hair, and knee-high, black leather boots that were scuffed with age. The metal cart she pushed in front of her was bent and dented in places and one wheel no longer worked. Inside the cart were plastic bags half filled with the morning's bounty, but James knew that all the bags would be filled by the end of the day. The old lady picked up things that people had thrown out as either garbage or broken, took them back to her make-shift home and she either fixed them or created something out of them. James remembered watching those hands create amazing things out of what had once been trash. His smile got bigger as the woman got closer.
 
“Lucy,” he called out softly.
 
The old lady stopped and spun around and whipped out a six inch blade from the inside of her boot. She squinted into the shadows where James stood, trying to figure out who was there. Once she saw him, her eyes narrowed in wariness and suspicion. James knew that the years had not been nice to Lucy; anyone could see that from the scars that lined her arms and face, so he could understand the tension the woman showed. He slowly walked out into the light and smiled when the old woman's eyes widened in recognition and surprise. “James,” she exclaimed, putting the knife back into its hidden sheath. “My goodness boy, you sure gave me a scare.”
 
James laughed slightly as he walked up to the old woman. He accepted the hug she gave him, bending over slightly, and he handed her the bag and coffee. “I've brought breakfast,” he said.
 
“Oh, James,” Lucy said, smiling, “you are too good to me. But you know I don't accept handouts.”
 
“I know,” James said, “but I need some information.”
 
“Well, if that's the case,” she said, “then I'm working.” She then took the bag and coffee and the two of them sat down on a fallen part of a wall in the shadows of the building. James watched as Lucy prowled through the bag, his knees raised before him, shoes on the edge of the wall. Lucy sat with her feet planted on the ground, the paper bag on her lap and the coffee at her side. “An English muffin with sausage, egg and cheese,” she said happily, “oh, bless you, James.”
 
“You're welcome,” James told her, watching as the old woman laid out a napkin on her lap before taking out the breakfast sandwich. Lucy had been the one to find him after the fire. She had spotted him curled up under a doorway of a collapsed building and had taken home to nurse him back to health. She had raised him until he was seventeen years old, always putting him first before herself. He was grateful to her and he cared for her like a mother he had never had. She knew what he was, but accepted it and told no one about it, to keep it from Shinra's prying ears. The times he had spent with Lucy were precious to him. He remembered always waking up with her at the crack of dawn and going out to help her search for items that could be used. When they returned home, he would help her sort through everything and helped her fix some of the items. She also found the time to teach him to read, write and do basic math. When Lucy had created and fixed enough items, James would go out and sell them in the city, and what didn't get sold by the end of the day would go to the thrift shop near the bakery. Either way, Lucy's items were always sold and she always got a good chunk of money for it all. Although it wasn't enough to live the proper life that she deserved, it was enough to allow her to live.
 
“So then,” Lucy asked, looking up at James, “what do you want to know?”
 
“I need to get information from Shinra,” James told her.
 
Lucy sighed, upset in her bright blue eyes. James knew that she disapproved of him trying to get into the Shinra Company, or having to anything to do with them. He knew that she disliked Shinra; she hadn't like them long before he had come into her life. James never asked why she disliked them, but he never asked because if she didn't tell him, then it wasn't his business to know. Lucy took a bite out of her sandwich and chewed slowly. Finally, she swallowed and said, “What is it then?”
 
“I need to find a way to get the information I need without getting found out and caught. We couldn't find a way in, and our best is trying to hack into their system, but I need to find other options. I had a feeling that you may know a thing or two.”
 
“Unfortunately,” Lucy said, “I do. There are a few people in the city that may have the answers you're looking for, besides the Turks, although I'm not sure that you can trust them or not. They did work with Rufus Shinra during the whole upset with Kadaj and his gang. But they also helped stop the meteor from taking out the entire world and have defeated Sephiroth.”
 
James shook his head and said, “I just returned to Midgar, and only heard a little bit about Kadaj from a few people. But, I remember the meteor and Sephiroth… who are these people, anyway?”
 
“Well, you may not like this, but one is an ex-Soldier.”
 
James felt the hair on the back of his neck bristle and he bared his teeth slightly. “You're telling me that someone who may know what I want to know worked for Shinra? I'm not going to ask for the help from a Soldier.”
 
“Don't you get all hot under the collar, James,” Lucy said, giving him a look that he remembered well. “Cloud is a good man, from what I heard.”
 
“Cloud,” James said slowly, looking down at the ground in front of him. He recognized the name, but he couldn't remember where he had heard it.
 
“But Cloud may not know about the Mako-Eyed,” Lucy said. James looked up at her quickly and Lucy stared at him. “What? You thought that I didn't know what information you're looking for?”
 
James shrugged and Lucy laughed. She took a sip from her coffee and continued. “Like I said, Cloud might not know, but the man who is usually seen with him might. Vincent seems to know a lot that goes on behind Shinra's doors. But other than that, I don't know anyone else who can help you.”
 
“You said these people worked for Shinra before,” James said, “How can I be sure that as soon as I confront them, they'll give the slip to Shinra that I'm alive?”
 
“I don't think they'll do that…” Lucy said slowly, and then she blinked and then quickly turned around to face James. “But I did hear a rumor, from some of the homeless who live in the city. Something about them offering shelter to a Mako-Eyed, to protect them from Shinra…”
 
“Why didn't you say this earlier?” James exclaimed, staring at Lucy. If there was another Mako-Eyed still alive and living in the area…
 
“Like I said, it's only a rumor,” Lucy said. “The person who told me kind of scoffed it off like it was rubbish anyway. I didn't want to get your hopes up, dear. I just mentioned it to point out that these people may not be as bad as you think. It doesn't matter though…” Lucy shook her head and looked up at James. “I just wish that you don't go into all of this. It's so dangerous and I don't want anything to happen to you.” She took his hand and squeezed it gently. “You're the only family I have now, James,” she said, sadly, “and I don't want to lose you.”
 
“You won't,” James said, covering Lucy's wrinkled hand with his other hand. “I know what I'm doing.”
 
Lucy sighed and said, “I hope you're right.”
 
“Thank you, Lucy, for the information,” he said, before pressing some money into her hand. Before she could protest, James stood up and left. Slipping deeper into the ruins of Midgar, he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket, deep in thought. If Nemo couldn't hack into Shinra's system, then James would take Lucy's information and go find this Vincent and Cloud. And what about that rumor Lucy had heard. If there was another Mako-Eyed running around, then James would be ecstatic. That would mean that he wasn't the only one left; that there would be someone else who understood what he felt. James sighed and shook his head. He wasn't going to get his hopes up. Like Lucy had said, it could only be a rumor. James headed back to where he was staying, hoping that the others had found something that would make the day seem worthwhile.
 
*~*~*
 
Cloud sat on top of the bar, Tifa leaning against it on the other side behind him. He was lightly tapping his fingers on the bar top, waiting for Vincent to arrive. Cloud had gotten a hold of him the night before and had given him a quick explanation of what he had encountered. Vincent said that he would come by tomorrow and tell them what he knew of the Mako Eyed. But it was already past noon and there was no sign of Vincent. And neither Red nor Cait Sith had returned from when they slipped out yesterday. The whole situation made Cloud uneasy. Until Vincent answered his questions, he had no idea what they may or may not be up against. Could this girl be a danger to Midgar, or would she become a danger if Rufus Shinra got his hands on her. Either way, Cloud would put a stop to it, even if it meant killing the girl, which he had a feeling would be impossible.
 
He heard footsteps coming down the stairs and turned slightly to see Denzel appear at the foot. The young boy was rubbing his eyes wearily, sniffing slightly from the cold he picked up. His brown hair was tousled as usual and his blue eyes were slightly filmed over from sleep as he looked around the room. His eyes rested on Cloud and he walked over, boosting himself up onto one of the stools next to him. “Vincent's not here yet?” Denzel asked, his voice sounding groggy from sleep and the fact that his sinuses were stuffed with mucous.
 
“No, not yet,” Cloud said wearily. He gave Denzel a look and asked, “Shouldn't you be in bed? You're not sounding too well.”
 
Denzel shrugged and said, “I couldn't sleep anymore. My head started to hurt when I tried to fall back asleep.”
 
“Well, then,” Tifa said, straightening up. “I'll make you some nice herbal soup. How's that sound?”
 
Denzel smiled and nodded and Tifa went into the kitchen. Cloud ruffled Denzel's hair and said, “Aren't we lucky to have Tifa around to take care of us?”
 
“Speak for yourself, Cloud,” Tifa called, poking her head around the door of the kitchen. “You are a big boy now and you can take care of yourself. I'm not your mommy.”
 
Cloud grumbled as Denzel laughed slightly. “So what you're saying is that you won't take care of me when I'm sick? Gee, thanks, Tifa… love you too…”
 
“Watch it or I will take care of you,” Tifa said, standing at the door and shaking a wooden spoon at him.
 
Cloud just gave her a quick grin before turning back to the front door. With a soft “grr” sound, he jumped off the counter and muttered, “Where the hell is Vincent?”
 
“Impatients killed the cat, Cloud,” Yuffie said, bouncing in from the back.
 
“I thought it was curiosity?” Cloud grumbled.
 
Yuffie stopped and looked thoughtful for a moment. “Huh… maybe it is… anyway, be patient Cloud. When Vincent gets here, he'll get here.”
 
Cloud nodded and he sat at on of the tables near the windows. Rain fell heavily outside, which put a hold on the deliveries for the day. Barret and Marlene had gone out though, despite the rain and the cold that came with it. Cloud was beginning to wonder if Vincent had gotten held up somewhere when the front door opened, letting in a burst of cold and rain. Looking up, he saw that it was only Barret and Marlene, both of them wearing wet rain-jackets. He quickly stood up and backed away from Marlene, who was coming at him to give him a hug. “Wait till you've dried off, Marlene,” he told her. “You look like you just went swimming.”
 
Marlene grinned and took off her wet jacket and boots, leaving them near the front door. She then joined Denzel at the bar, who was being served a bowl of steaming soup by Tifa. Marlene asked if she could have some and Tifa got her another bowl. Cloud returned back to the bar at the other end from the kids and Barret joined him. As Cloud sat down on one of the stools, Barret went around to the other side of the bar and took out a bottle of rum from under the counter. He poured himself a cup and offered Cloud some, who refused. “It sure is chilly out today,” Barret said, taking a swig from his drink. “But I had promised Marlene to take her out. Just wished that it was a bit nicer today.”
 
Cloud nodded and asked, “Didn't see Vincent around town, did you?”
 
“No,” Barret said, “and I figured that I wouldn't have anyway. The guy isn't usually seen unless he wants to be seen.”
 
Cloud nodded again and frowned. “He isn't usually late, either,” he said. “I wonder what's holding him up.”
 
“Had to check out something,” a steady, low voice said from behind him. “I had to find a few answers myself.”
 
Cloud spun around and saw the tall dark figure of Vincent at the door. The long red cloak he wore moved slightly from the wind outside, and his long black hair hardly seemed wet. Cloud turned himself around in his seat and gave a nod in greeting to Vincent. Behind him, he heard Barret move to the other end of the bar and tell Marlene and Denzel to go on up stairs. Cloud was a little surprised to hear both children refuse, saying that they wanted to know what was going on. Barret didn't argue, but told them that as long as they stayed quiet, they could stay.
 
“What do you know, Vincent?” Cloud asked. “Do you know anything about the Mako Eyed?”
 
“I know some,” he said, “that I learned of during the past few years. Shinra keeps the information pretty locked up tight, but as always, a few bits of information slip out.”
 
“So what do you know, despite the fact that they aren't like normal humans?”
 
“Twenty-five years ago, Shinra Company conducted an experiment that somewhat branched from the Soldiers and Jenova. They thought of creating a sub-species of human, using Mako and Jenova cells and infusing them into the fetus of several different pregnant woman who due dates were several months apart. They thought that they could create a human who would be born with all the abilities of a Soldier and maybe even more. The children were born and the first thing that was noticed was the eyes; they all had the Mako glow to them, hence the name Mako-Eyed.”
 
“But, what happened?” Tifa asked. “Why the fire and why didn't Shinra try to save some of the children?”
 
“He believed that the experiment was a failure,” Vincent said. “Yes, the children did show some differences than normal children their age. They were all quick learners and were smart for their age. But they didn't show the signs of the abilities possessed by Soldiers who have been infused with Jenova cells, or any strength caused by the Mako that ran through their veins. Shinra believed that the cells and Mako infused into the children so well, that it became just another normal part to them, like the cells and DNA for normal humans, that it gave no effects to them like it did to normal humans. So when the building was set afire and the children were being murdered in front of his eyes, he made no extra effort to save them. He just let them burn.”
 
“So that's why that girl hates the Shinra Company so much,” Yuffie said. “She hates that they had let the others die.”
 
“She feels that they are just as guilty of the murder as the people who had set the fire,” Barret added.
 
“Was it ever found out that the children did have certain abilities to them that normal humans don't have?” Cloud asked, although he knew that the answer to his question was answered by the way he had watched that woman move.
 
“It was never discovered,” Vincent said. “As far as I know, the Mako Eyed has no special abilities.”
 
“They do,” a new voice said from behind Vincent. “They have special abilities that even Shinra didn't expect.”
 
Cloud looked up to see Red XIII walk in, shaking rain water from his body and sending Cait Sith hurtling across the room. “You know more than what you said yesterday, Red,” Cloud said, glaring slightly at his friend. “What is it that you're not telling us?”
 
“Ohhh…” Cait Sith said, standing up and rubbing his head. “I knew he was going to get pissy.”
 
Red looked at Cloud and said, “I can't tell you.”
 
“And why the hell not?”
 
“Because I had made a promise not to; to protect someone,” Red said, shaking his head. “I'm sorry, Cloud, but I can't tell you unless I'm told that I could.”
 
“There are times that promises have to be broken,” Cloud said, feeling himself getting angry. “You not saying anything might risk the safety of whoever you are protecting.”
 
Red stared up at him, his eyes pleading. “Please, Cloud, don't make this any harder…”
 
“It's alright Nanaki…”
 
Everyone turned to the door as a young woman walked in, her hair and clothing soaked. She dumped a bag onto the floor and wrung out her long hair. When she looked at all of them, they could all see the soft glow of Mako in her eyes. Her eyes flicked back to Cloud's and she stared into his own Mako-glowing eyes. “I've accepted both of your requests in your hospitality,” she said.