Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Transformation ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Another Mako Eyed? Vincent thought as the young man turned to Aneilla when she spoke. Sure enough, the kid had the soft glow of Mako in his topaz eyes and he looked to be old enough to have been in the fire twenty years ago. But he could still be a threat... His little buddies threatened to hurt one of our own. We can't trust him... yet.
 
The man, James, stared at Aneilla, eyes widening when he noticed her eyes. His jaw worked for a bit and he finally managed to get out, “You… you're a Mako Eyed?”
 
Aneilla didn't say anything, but she nodded. Vincent lowered his gun, but stayed ready to bring it up again if needed.
 
James blinked and shook his head. “I can't believe it,” he said. “I thought I was the last…”
 
“So did I,” Aneilla told him, her voice breathless.
 
James looked at his two comrades and gestured for them to lower their weapons. They did and Cloud lowered his as well, but, like Vincent, stayed cautious in case they tried anything. James then turned back to Aneilla and asked, “How did you get out?”
 
“Nanaki rescued me,” Aneilla said, gesturing to the wolf-lion beside her. “And he took care of me for my first sixteen years, until he was captured by Hojo.”
 
James chuckled and shook his head. “So you got out of there easy… Lucky you… I have to crawl out of the fallen, burning rubble, which nearly killed me. An elderly woman found me half dead and cared for me.”
 
“I'm sorry…” Aneilla said softly.
 
James waved a hand and said, “Water under the bridge… now, back to the reason I came, not that I'm ecstatic that there is another Mako Eyed…” James turned to Cloud, who tensed, ready for an attack. “I came here for answers, some that you may know: what do you know of the Mako Eyed?”
 
Cloud chuckled and said coldly, “You threaten my family, my friends, bust into the bar, just for that.”
 
James shrugged and said, “We could have come while you slept, and kidnapped that little girl there.”
 
Vincent snarled and raised his gun up again. Surprisingly, Aneilla did as well, her blue eyes glowing a little more brightly than before. She's getting the same vibe I am from this guy: bad news. As the two of them did so, the black man and the woman faced the two of them, weapons raised.
 
“Vincent, Aneilla, it's alright,” Cloud said, waving a hand at them, telling them to lower their weapons. He then looked at James and said, “Try that, and I'll slit your throat.”
 
James smiled and then gesture to the woman. “I wouldn't try that, Soldier… Nemo here can move much faster than you. She can kill those two pretty girls before you can even get the edge of your blade to my skin. Now, we can do this nicely, or we can get messy… either way, I want my answers… what do you know?”
 
“Not much,” Cloud told him bitterly. “Just that you were part of a project that branched off of Sephiroth. We're probably just as clueless as you are.
 
James snorted softly before turning to Vincent. “What about you, Turk?”
 
“I was asleep in the Shinra Mansion's basement when you were born, so I didn't know about you until a few years later after I woke up,” Vincent said.
 
“And you know nothing?” James asked Aneilla.
 
“Only what they know,” Aneilla snapped.
 
James frowned and held his hands up, reacting to Aneilla's sudden coldness. “I'm not the enemy here, Aneilla,” he told her. “You and me, we're on the same side.”
 
“That depends…”
 
James stared at Aneilla and asked, “Do you want answers as well, as to why you were brought into this world and how?”
 
“I know how,” Aneilla said, “but I do want to know the why. But if it involves threatening innocents, then I'll stay in the dark.”
 
James laughed and said, “What can they do about it? We're faster, stronger and, not to mention, smarter then they are. We are a completely different species of human.” He then held out a hand to Aneilla and said, “Come with me, Aneilla. Together, we can find the answers.”
 
Vincent watched as Aneilla stared at the hand that was offered to her. He could see the dilemma running through her head. Here was one of her own kind, offering her a chance to be able to find all the answers to her questions, but at the same time, this man had threatened the people she had come to care about, not to mention that he gave off an eerie vibe. Aneilla lowered her weapon, eyes lowered to the floor. “I…” she stammered.
 
“Come on, Aneilla,” James said softly. “Together, we can get back at Shinra for what he did to us.”
 
Aneilla's head shot up and she asked, “Is it answers you want, or a way to get to Shinra?”
 
James smiled slightly and said, “You are definitely a Mako Eyed, to catch that. Yes, I want to get into Shinra, to find answers, but to also get back at those bastards for what they did.”
 
Aneilla stepped back, shaking her head. “As much as I hate Shinra,” she said, “I don't plan on attacking them. I just want to try to live my life…”
 
James burst into laughter at that. “`Live your life'? How can you, when you have to spend the rest of it hiding from them?”
 
“I'm doing fine the way I am now…”
 
“Living with humans?”
 
“We're human too…”
 
“Keep telling yourself that,” James said, “and you'll end up back in Shinra's clutches.”
 
“Look, I'll help you with finding answers, but that's it,” Aneilla said. “I'm not about to risk my neck.” She then looked at Cloud and said, “And you guys are going to help me, right?”
 
Cloud nodded and said, “We said we would before and nothing's changed.”
 
Aneilla nodded and James scoffed angrily. “You expect me to stand here and watch one of my own dwindle down to nothing when you can rise like a Phoenix into glory? I'll show you our power, Aneilla, and then you can make your final decision.”
 
Vincent watched as the man started to glow with a flaming black and gold aura. Dragon-like wings burst from his back as he advanced towards Marlene and Tifa. Cloud swung his sword up and started towards James, but the Mako Eyed threw up a hand and a blast of power sent Cloud flying to the side, hitting the bar with a cracking sound. Cloud collapsed to the floor, unconscious. “Cloud!” Tifa cried, and then faced James, holding Marlene close. Vincent pointed Cerberus at James and fired. The bullets headed towards James, but the man turned slightly towards Vincent and held up a hand. The bullets stopped in mid air and with a flick of his wrist, James sent them hurtling back at Vincent. They struck him in the chest and Vincent stumbled backwards, Cerberus dropping from his hand as he clutched his chest. He stumbled against the wall, looking down to see blood blossoming from the bullet wounds.
 
Vincent then heard a growl in front of him, something that even made James stop. Vincent looked up and was shocked to see Aneilla glowing with a pulsing, ruby red light. Red slowly backed away from Aneilla, muttering, “Oh no…”
 
“Red…” Vincent gasped, talking sending pain throughout his body. “What's… what's happening?”
 
“She's changing…” Red spoke softly. “Her other ability… this is it.”
 
Vincent turned back to Aneilla and the last thing he remembered seeing before the pain took him was Aneilla's once blue eyes glowing a fearsome red.
 
*~*~*
 
“How dare you?” the once innocent looking woman said in a voice filled with rage. “How dare you hurt my friends, my family?”
 
James stepped back and he could sense Nemo and Bear becoming uneasy with this turn of events. When they came to the bar, James had expected to get the answers he needed, using force if he had to. But seeing another Mako Eyed here changed everything. But when he realized that the girl was content living amongst humans, he grew angry. He had thought that finding another Mako Eyed would mean more help in taking out Shinra and getting his revenge, but the girl wanted nothing to do with his plan. So he had made the decision to try to force her to come to his side. Instead, he unleashed a monster. It's obvious that she hasn't gained control of her power, he thought.
 
He turned to face the woman as the power surrounding her grew and began to whip her hair and clothing about as if she was in a strong wind. Before James could get a grip on the situation, Aneilla lunged at him, snarling viciously. She collided into him, sending them both through one of the windows.
 
James pushed himself to his feet and faced her. She had stood up as well, the light still pulsing around her. As he watched, ruby red dragon wings unfurled from her back, stretching out as wide as possible. Her eyes glowed brightly in the darkness. James faced her, drawing in more of his own power, but something inside of him told him that it wasn't gong to be enough. Her power stream... it's endless! How was she able to contain that much power and keep it hidden? How come I never was able to sense her power and know of her until now!?
 
As James thought, Aneilla suddenly disappeared from in front of him, only to reappear behind him. James just had enough time to raise an arm, shielded with magic, to block her attack. Flash Step!? How in the Ancients can she already use that ability!? I can't even use that yet! James dodged her attacks, one by one, and delivered some of his own, but she was fast in blocking them. He swiped at her legs and she took flight, spreading her winds wide and catching the wind currents. James went after her and they faced off in the sky. He could see her eyes glowing, red and cat-like, and he watched as she raised a hand that glowed brightly with fire. He wasn't quick enough to block the blast of fire she sent at him. He spun in mid air, feeling the flame singe his clothing and before he could turn around, she had him by the throat and she threw him down, sending him through an old warehouse roof.
 
James smashed through the beams and hit the surface, his fall broken by several crates that hurt, but were better than concrete. The drop would have killed a normal human, but James was nothing more than badly injured and he also knew that he was beaten. He looked up through the hole in the roof and could see Aneilla hovering in the sky, the moon behind her. She stared down at him for a while before she disappeared, no doubt Flash Stepping off somewhere. James groaned softly and the world started to blacken around him. Before he slipped into unconsciousness, he smiled and whispered, “You may have won this time, Aneilla, but you just started a war with the wrong man…”
 
*~*~*
 
“You sure that old man was talking about Aneilla?” Cid asked, taking a drag off his cigarette.
 
“The description fit the one Tifa gave us of Aneilla before she disappeared,” Vincent said softly. The wound in his chest still pained him, but he healed quickly and after using a restore materia to regain his strength, he was ready to set out. Cloud on the other hand had still been unconscious when Vincent left. The young man had taken quite a hit and whenever he did wake up, he was going to need some rest. And a great deal of pain meds, Cid had said.
 
“I can't believe that Aneilla would become a monster like that,” Yuffie said, her shuriken strapped to her back. “Is that what it was like the first time, Red?”
 
Red XIII shook his head before sighing. “No… this time it was worse… She had used magic and other abilities that I had never seen her do before. And the wings were new as well.”
 
“We'll just be careful,” Vincent said, “if we find her.”
 
The four of them were in the cliffs near Nibelheim after they had gotten a tip from an old man back in Edge saying that he had seen Aneilla fly in this direction. Red had said that he had a feeling she would come here, seeing as this was one of the places she and Red lived when he cared for her. So taking the Shera to make the trip, the four of them now set out on foot through the forest terrain, looking up at the cliffs and all around for their lost friend. And hopefully, Vincent thought, she's back to normal.
 
They searched for an hour before Vincent stopped, a cliff before them. “Wait,” he said softly. Yuffie, Cid and Red stopped and turned to him, confused looks on their faces. Vincent stood still, motioning for them to be silent. He listened, straining his ears to hear the slightest sound. He was sure that he had heard something, like the scraping of rocks up above.
 
“Vince,” Yuffie asked in a hushed voice, “what is it?”
 
Vincent shook his head. “Nothing, I guess. I thought I heard something…” He was cut off as something very large flew right overhead, the force of the wind trail it left making them stumble.
 
“What the hell?!” Cid yelled, ducking.
 
Vincent looked up as what ever it was landed on top of the cliff in front of them. It was a large dark mass that stretched large powerful wings out to its sides and he could hear the sound of claws scraping rock. The moon came out from behind a cloud and cast its light on a large, ruby red dragon.
 
It was about as tall as a large elephant, its neck was a good three yards long, body at least ten yards and its tail a bit longer. Its scales shimmered like gemstones and its talons were ivory. Spikes grew down the neck, along the spine and tail, the tip having two blade-like spikes coming from it. The dragon had two horns on its head pointing towards the back and both horns and spikes were a deep blood red in color. As they watched, it reared back on its hind legs, stretching its neck up high, its wings spread out as far as they could go. It was the most terrifying, but beautiful, creature Vincent had ever seen.
 
Cid's cigarette dropped from his mouth as it went slack and Yuffie let out a loud gasp. Vincent stared up at the dragon as it lifted its head and let out a loud bellowing roar. It then lowered its head and crouched like a lion, staring at them with glowing crimson eyes. It looked at each of them before its eyes rested on Vincent. The dragon then let out a hiss as it spoke. “Chaos...” it said in an all too familiar voice.
 
“Omigosh,” Yuffie exclaimed, “it's Aneilla!”
 
“How in the bloody hell…” Cid cursed.
 
“This must be the form she takes,” Red said softly, gazing up at the dragon. “But how is this possible?”
 
“Hojo put more than Jenova cells in her, in all of the Mako Eyed…” Vincent guessed.
 
The dragon growled deeply, spreading her wings wide, but remained in her crouched position. “Chaos...” she snarled again, glaring at Vincent.
 
“Not Chaos,” Vincent said, holstering Cerberus. “It's Vincent, Aneilla… remember?”
 
The dragon lifted her head slightly, tilting it to the side. “Vincent?” she asked.
 
Vincent nodded and said, “That's right.”
 
The dragon straightened and glided down. Yuffie, Cid and Red moved out of the way as Aneilla landed in front of Vincent. She lowered her head down close to him and blew hot air at him through her nose. “Chaos stench rolls off of you in waves...” the dragon snarled. “You are Chaos...”
 
“Chaos is inside of me, that's why you can smell him,” Vincent told her. It was obvious that Aneilla didn't recognize them at the moment. If I can get her to remember, perhaps she will be able to control the transformations. “But I am Vincent… I taught you how to fight, to wield a gun. Cloud taught you how to use materia to control your Black Magic. We took you in and Tifa is letting you stay at the bar. We've become your family. You had transformed to protect us from James.”
 
“James!” the dragon growled. “He threatened my family... tried to hurt them...”
 
“Yes, and that was us,” Vincent said.
 
The dragon tossed up her head, growling, but Vincent could start to see recognition in her eyes. “Chaos...”
 
“No, Vincent…”
 
“Vincent?”
 
“Yes, and Cid, Yuffie and Red… Nanaki,” Vincent added, gesturing to the other three.
 
Red stepped forward and looked up at the dragon. “Aneilla,” he said. “Aneilla, you must come back to your senses…”
 
The dragon lowered her head to touch noses with the one eyed wolf-lion. “Nanaki?” she said softly.
 
“Yes…”
 
The dragon groaned and she muttered, “So tired...” She then started to glow with a glittering red light that covered her, hiding her from view. The light grew smaller until it faded, leaving an unconscious Aneilla lying on the ground. Vincent crouched next to her, lifting her in his arms. The girl had changed some in appearance. Her once silver hair was now ruby red like the dragon's scales and had grown in length; it was now down to her elbows and had a slight wave to it. Vincent ran his fingers through her hair, muttering, “Aneilla…” The girl moaned, but it looked like she wasn't going to wake up.
 
“She's drained,” Red said, nuzzling Aneilla's hair with his muzzle. “We should take her home.”
 
“We're going to need a hell of a bigger house…” Cid said, running a hand over his unshaven jaw.
 
“What are we going to tell the others?” Yuffie asked, shock still apparent on her face.
 
“The truth,” Vincent said, standing up with Aneilla in his arms. “We have to let them know what Aneilla can turn into.”
 
“Why now?” Cid asked, looking at the unconscious girl in Vincent's arms. “Why the hell now did she fully transform? Why didn't she do it the first time?”
 
“Her power must have awakened,” Red said. “That other Mako Eyed, James, his power is already starting to awaken. I don't think it happened this fast, which is why Aneilla is completely drained, but you know that he's gained control over it.”
 
“Or it has control over him,” Vincent stated. He then turned and started heading back. “Come on, the others are waiting… we'll discuss this more when we get back.”