Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mako Eyes ❯ Training ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“A dragon?” Cloud asked from where he sat at the bar, nursing a bruised torso and a few sprained ribs.
 
Vincent nodded from where he leaned against the wall. “That's right…”
 
“It was amazing!” Yuffie exclaimed. “Well… in a terrifying, going-to-wet-myself way, but amazing. She was so… so…”
 
“Beautiful,” Cid finished for her.
 
“But how?” Barret asked. “How can she change into a dragon?”
 
“She's like me,” Vincent said. He had thought it over during the trip back and it was the only conclusion he could come up with. “Just like how Chaos genes were put into me, the same must have happened with the Mako Eyed. Hojo not only injected the unborn children with Mako and Jenova cells, but he must have somehow put dragon genes or cells in them as well.”
 
“Which is why Shinra said the experiment was a failure…” Tifa started, realization spreading on her face.
 
“…because the kids showed no sign of dragon abilities,” Cloud finished.
 
Vincent nodded and said, “That's what I believe, but we'll have to find out.”
 
“We can always give Reeve a call,” Red said. “I bet he could get a hold of those files.”
 
“Or he might actually know a little more about the project,” Barret added.
 
Cloud stood up slowly, wincing as he did. “I'll give Reeve a call right now,” he said, heading towards his office, “and explain what's going on. I'll tell him to keep quiet about it to.”
 
Vincent nodded before turning to the stairs. “I'm going to see how she's doing,” he said.
 
“Be careful Vince,” Cid warned, “in case she gets all fangy again.”
 
Vincent only grunted before heading up the steps. As he walked by Cloud's office, he could hear the blonde talking on the phone. Vincent kept going until he got to Aneilla's room. He quietly opened the door and slipped inside. He walked over to the bed where Aneilla was still sleeping, her breathing calm and deep. She wore a spaghetti strap top with blue jeans, her now red hair fanning over the pillow. Vincent sat in a chair beside her and gazed at her for a while. “You and me have more in common than I thought,” he said softly. He reached out and touched the side of her face. “You didn't deserve what was done to you…” As he slowly removed his hand, Aneilla moaned softly before opening her eyes. Vincent had a sharp intake of breath when he saw that her once blue eyes were now as crimson as his own, only hers glowed softly from Mako.
 
She blinked a few times before turning her head to look at him. “Vincent?”
 
“Yeah,” Vincent said, “it's me.”
 
Aneilla blinked and then she sat up slowly, drawing her knees to her chest as she did. Wrapping her arms around them, she stared out the window, eyes looking fearful. “How many did I hurt?” she asked softly.
 
“Besides James,” Vincent told her, “no one.”
 
Aneilla looked at him and sighed softly. She then smiled slightly and said, “I remember…”
 
“What?”
 
“I remember what happen, towards the end, before I blacked out. It's kinda fuzzy, but I remember seeing you. You helped bring me back. I remember facing you, calling you Chaos… I remember what I transformed into…”
 
Vincent nodded and said, “Do you think you can control it now?”
 
Aneilla frowned for a moment, looking down at the comforter. Suddenly, wings sprouted from her back, not as large as they were in her dragon form, but the same shade of red. “Guess I can,” she said softly as she folded the wings to her back. She then buried her face in her arms, muttering, “What am I going to do?”
 
“Don't worry,” Vincent said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Cloud is talking to someone on the phone now who might be able to help us find out more about the Mako Children Project. We're going to be here for you and help you. As for James… well, we might have to deal with him later on…”
 
Aneilla looked up at Vincent, anger blazing in her eyes. “He's not dead?” she asked.
 
Vincent shook his head. “We never found a body,” he told her. “We're guessing his lackeys took him after you disappeared.”
 
Aneilla nodded and looked back towards the window. “Do Tifa and the others want me to leave?” she asked suddenly.
 
“No, they don't,” Vincent said. “Why do you ask that?”
 
“Well,” Aneilla said, “I could have hurt one of them… not intentionally, but while I was fighting James. I thought that they wouldn't want me around after what happened tonight.”
 
“They want you to stay,” Vincent told her, “and if they didn't… I would take you in.”
 
Aneilla whipped her head around and looked at him. “You would?”
 
Vincent nodded. “We're a lot alike; in a sense… guess I feel some sort of connection between us…”
 
Aneilla smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I know what you mean. We both have demons inside of us… well, dragon in me, whatever you would call that… but still…” She then chuckled softly and said, “And James said that no one would understand me except him. He really doesn't know anything.”
 
“He doesn't, except hate, and the want for revenge.”
 
Aneilla looked at Vincent and asked, “Do you think he'll end up like Sephiroth?”
 
“I don't know,” Vincent said. “I guess time will tell.”
 
*~*~*
 
“Holy…” Cid yelled as he ducked from Aneilla's attack. “Woman, will ya slow down! I can't fucking keep up with you!”
 
Aneilla pulled back, smiling sheepishly. “Sorry Cid,” she told him.
 
“Right… let's try this again…” Cid then swung up his spear and swiped at Aneilla. Aneilla jumped up, dodging the attack and landed on the spear-tip. She then jumped again, only to kick Cid in the back of the head and shoulders as she went over him. “Damn it!” Cid hollered as he fell forward.
 
“This is incredible,” Reeve Tuesti said as he watched Aneilla train with Cid in the backyard of the bar. Cloud stood beside him, watching Reeve's expression as he watched the Mako Eyed kick the crap out of Cid. “And this isn't even her full power?”
 
“No,” Cloud said, shaking his head as Cid started cursing again. “I don't know anyone who would be able to take her at her full strength… except maybe Vincent in Chaos form, or him as himself even.”
 
Reeve nodded and then asked, “Where is Vincent?”
 
“He went off to see if he can find James, that other Mako Eyed,” Cloud said. “We've been searching for the past three days, but with no success. This guy knows how to hide.”
 
“Why are you bothering to look for him?”
 
“Just so we know where he is…”
 
“That's it!” Cid yelled, throwing his spear down. “I can't do this if I can't even lay a hit on the damn woman! Sorry Cloud, but I have bruises and a headache I now have to nurse!” And with that, the pilot stormed back into the bar.
 
Aneilla sighed and plopped down on the ground, her red hair catching the faint breeze. “Now what?” she asked.
 
“Well…” Cloud said, running a hand through his hair.
 
“I'll train with her,” Vincent said, walking past the two men and making them jump slightly.
 
“Jeez, Vincent, give us a warning next time,” Cloud said.
 
Vincent gave Cloud a look as Aneilla jumped back to her feet. Vincent turned to face her and stood in a fighting position. “Give me everything you have…” he told her. “…without transforming,” he then added as an afterthought.
 
Aneilla nodded and she took her stance. The two faced each other for a moment before Aneilla disappeared. Reeve gasped and Cloud only smirked as Aneilla reappeared behind Vincent. Vincent spun around to block her attack and deliver one of his own. Aneilla sprang out of the way and then jumped back in. Cloud and Reeve watched in silence as the two battled it out with no weapons, no magic, just regular martial arts. But it was enough to show what kind of power Aneilla possessed and Cloud could see the amazement in Reeve's eyes.
 
“If Rufus got word of her…” Reeve started to say.
 
“He can't know, Reeve,” Cloud said, looking at the man beside him. “I don't trust the man and he could try anything if he gets wind of Aneilla. She's now in danger as it is, if James goes through with his plan in attacking Shinra.”
 
“Can the other Mako Eyed, James, use the same power as Aneilla?”
 
“Don't know, but what he did use was powerful. If we do end up facing him, he's going to be tough.”
 
Reeve sighed and said, “Well, the best way in defeating your enemy is knowing them, and unfortunately our enemy is the same as someone on our side, so whatever he finds out about himself he can use against Aneilla. This is going to be a bigger problem than Sephiroth ever was.”
 
“Depends,” Cloud said with a slight grimace. “If we take out James and he comes back, then it'll defiantly be worse.”
 
The two men turned back as Aneilla kicked Vincent in the chest, knocking him down to the ground. The young woman then sat down on his chest and brought a fist back that started to glow with fire. She grinned down at Vincent and said, “I win.”
 
“Congratulations, Vince,” Yuffie said as she walked out, carrying two water bottles. “You just got your ass kicked by a girl.”
 
“Vince lost!?” Cid yelled, coming back out, holding an icepack to the back of his head.
 
“Thanks, Yuffie…” Vincent said as Aneilla helped him up.
 
“No problem,” the ninja said, tossing Aneilla a bottle.
 
“Well then,” Reeve said with a chuckle as Vincent glared at Yuffie, “I'll be heading back. I'll give you a call if I find anything.”
 
“Do you think you'll find something?” Aneilla asked, looking at Reeve uneasily. Cloud knew that she didn't trust the man as of yet.
 
“Don't worry, Aneilla,” Reeve assured her. “I'll find something, even if I have to break into Shinra's records myself. And I'll also make sure Rufus doesn't hear of you, and if he does somehow, learn of what you are.”
 
Aneilla nodded and after Reeve shook hands with Cloud, Cid and Vincent, the man left. “Can we trust him?” Aneilla asked, looking at Cloud.
 
“He has been trustworthy for the time we've known him,” Cloud said.
 
“Alright,” Aneilla said. She tossed her water bottle from one hand to the other and then looked up at Vincent. “Did you find him?” she asked, and they all knew who they were talking about.
 
Vincent shook his head. “No, I didn't… and no one has heard of him before. The man knows how to keep hidden.”
 
“Guess we're good at that,” Aneilla thought, thinking of the years she had kept hidden from the world.
 
“So now what?” Yuffie asked.
 
“We wait,” Cloud said. “When Reeve finds the answers we're looking for, then we'll think up what to do next.”
 
*~*~*
 
Aneilla was lying in her room, one of her arms folded under her head, the darkness closing in around her as night started to fall. She played with a few strands of her hair, watching as it caught the last rays of sunlight as it filtered through her window. She sighed and closed her eyes, thoughts spinning through her head. She held up a hand, flecking her fingers as it started to pulse with red light. Why a dragon? Aneilla thought. Why did Hojo enable us to transform into dragons? So many new questions and none of them could be solved until they found the answers. And what about James? Will he try to come after me again, or try to get into Shinra like he said he was going to? He wanted me to go with him, so much so that he threatened to hurt Marlene and Tifa, and had hurt Cloud and Vincent. Will he try to get at me again, try to force me to join him? Aneilla frowned and then shook her head. I won't join him, even if he is Mako Eyed...
 
“The darkness inside of him is even greater than it was in Sephiroth... he will be a formidable enemy...”
 
Aneilla shot up in bed, calling out into the darkness, “Who's there?”
 
“...but do not be afraid, little one, for I am with you...”
 
“Who are you?” Aneilla whispered. She suddenly felt a warm sensation in her chest, near her heart.
 
“I am the dragon that's inside of you. The dragon that rages in you is my reincarnation. I had lived many thousands of years ago, and when I died, I was soon reborn into you and have lain dormant inside of you until your powers, as well as the dragon inside of you, was awakened. And when your fear of the people you cared about getting hurt, you awakened me and I took over to protect you and grant your wish of protecting them.”
 
“So you can teach me?” Aneilla asked the dragon.
 
“Yes, and when you are ready, I will return to the lifestream to rest in peace for all eternity.”
 
“But how can you teach me?”
 
“I will guide you through our ways and show you how to perform the magic you have awakened. When I leave you, you will have full control over your power and the dragon in you. For now, I am here to help you control both.”
 
Aneilla fell back onto the pillow, covering her face with her hands. “This is so… confusing…”
 
The dragon chuckled and said, “Do not worry... I will help you... Now, I want you to go outside... your training starts now.”
 
Aneilla frowned and asked, “Now?”
 
“Yes...”
 
Aneilla sighed and she got up out of bed. She quietly opened the door and peeked down the hallway. It was dark, meaning everyone was in bed. As silently as possible, she slipped downstairs and out of the bar. By the dragon's instructions, she made her way into the wastelands outside of Edge where there was enough space to maneuver. She stopped next to a cliff and jolted when the dragon spoke again.
 
“Now... transform...”
 
Aneilla bit her lip and said, “I… I don't know how…”
 
“Can you feel my presence inside of yourself?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
“Well, reach down to that part and pull it out, like you would when you use that materia for magic. Be calm and take your time.”
 
Aneilla sighed and nodded. She took a deep breath before reaching inside, concentrating on that warm spot in her chest. She imagined pulling at it, drawing out the power and she began to feel a tingling in her skin. She gasped and she sensed the dragon smile. “That's it, little one...” Aneilla sighed and tried again, this time, drawing in more of that power. With the help of the dragon, she allowed the warmth to spread through her body and out some as wings and a tail form. She felt her body grow and her senses changing as well. When it was done, Aneilla opened her eyes and saw the world seem to shift with colors more clear and focused she could ever imagine. She turned her head and blinked as she saw that her body was that of a ruby red dragon. “I did it,” she exclaimed.
 
“Yes, you did... well done. Now changing back is the same, only you compress that power back inside of yourself. Do not worry... in time, the transformations will be quicker, almost instantaneously. But let's take things slow... try moving around; get use to your bearings.”
 
Aneilla started walking around, remembering that she now had four legs to maneuver and a tail behind her. After a few minutes, with the help of the dragon, she was able to move easily on the ground and control her wings and tail. Then came the dragon's next instructions: “Now... fly.”
 
“Fly!?” Aneilla squeaked, stopping dead. “I... I'm not sure about the flying part yet...”
 
“It's fine, just spread your wings, and jump in the air a little while beating them against the wind. You can do it... I'm here to help you.”
 
Aneilla nodded and she spread her wings out. She crouched low, raising her wings as she did and sprang skyward, flapping them down as she did. She continued to beat her wings as she took to the air, the dragon telling her, “Now, use your tail like you would a rudder on a boat to control where you want to go.” Aneilla did, shifting her tail just slightly as she steered herself up higher into the air. She looked down and her eyes widened as she saw Edge and Midgar from up above. Allowing herself to soar with the wind currents, she used her long tail to steer herself through the air, beating her wings every so often to give herself a boost of speed. Within the half hour, Aneilla loved flying as she soared over the cliffs and wastelands outside the city. When the dragon had her land, it told her to steer toward the ground and then tilt up at the last minute, tilting her wingtips down to ease herself to the ground. Aneilla did so, landing a little roughly.
 
“That was good, but we will work on it,” the dragon praised her. It had her change back, which Aneilla found a bit easier than changing to. Then Aneilla started to head back home, the dragon speaking to her as she did, “We will train more later. For now, get some rest and do not let your friends know of my teachings to you until I say. I don't want them to distract you while you are just starting out.”
 
Aneilla nodded and then a thought occurred to her. “Do you know anything about the Mako Eyed, or why they were created the way they were?”
 
She heard the dragon sigh and say, “No, I do not. I was surprised to find that you were actually a human instead of a dragon. I guess the dragons are truly gone from this world and the only ones left are the ones in you and that other man.”
 
“I'm sorry,” Aneilla said.
 
“Don't be, for you should be proud to have dragon blood running through your veins. But you must know that you may have to go against the other Mako Eyed. Do not allow him to control you, Aneilla, because I don't see him heading anywhere but into darkness. When the time comes, you will fight him, and possibly truly become the last.” And with that, the dragon became silent and Aneilla didn't hear from it again.