Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Until The Day I Die: A Squikku and Tiduna Story ❯ Don't Trust Strangers / Seymour ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER 6: DON'T TRUST STRANGERS / SEYMOUR
"Remind me to never mess with you." Tidus said as they finished the fiends. Yuna shot the last fiend right in the head, turning to smile at Tidus innocently.
"That smile ain't gonna work on me no more," Tidus said, smiling back, "I just seen what you can do. And I'm way more then impressed. Who knew there was a bad ass little killer under that innocent image?"
"I'm not a killer," Yuna replied, "These fiends could've hurt my friends. I can't allow that now can I?" She pulled out a piece of paper and pen. "Mission Complete." She smiled, checking off a box.
Tidus smiled, walking to her side and wrapping an arm around her shoulder, "Good! Now we can have time to ourselves."
"Ourselves?" Yuna asked, amused.
"Yeah, as in 'you and me'. Let's go find some place to eat or something."
Yuna rolled her eyes again, smiling down at the paper when she noticed something. In little letters under the mission it said 'Meet Squall and Rikku in the Thunder Plains.' 'The thunder Plains?' Yuna thought, 'Mr. Omni you sneaky...Rikku's not gonna like this!'
"What's wrong?" Tidus asked, concerned, looking at Yuna's worried expression.
"It seems our mission isn't over." Yuna replied, still staring at the paper, "we have to meet Rikku and Squall."
"That's not bad. Where?"
"The Thunder Plains."
Tidus's eyes widened, realizing what the problem was, "Aw, shit! Rikku's gonna be pissed."
Yuna shook her head, "No, Rikku's gonna freak out. Squall's gonna be pissed that Mr. Omni snuck that last part in."
"Well...we should start travelling now. It's getting dark...maybe we could find a hotel..."
Yuna nodded, agreeing, "Yup. A hotel with two vacant rooms."
"Aw! Come on, Yuna!" Tidus whined, "You gotta ruin everything!"
Yuna began giggling as she walked towards the cave door, Tidus following her.
"Yuna?" A man with crazy purple hair and purple eyes said, approaching them.
"Seymour!" Yuna gasped in shock.
"You pass your mission?" Seymour asked with a smile.
"Yuna, who is this guy?" Tidus asked, glaring at Seymour.
"Um, Tidus, this is..."
"I'm Seymour," He interrupted extending a hand to Tidus, "Yuna's fiancee."
BIKANEL DESERT CAMP SITE
"Yes I got a fucking problem with it!" Dell yelled angrily, towering over Rikku.
Squall stepped up, getting between them and glowering at Dell, "Back up. If we're such a bother then we'll leave." He said, looking at Dell.
"Yeah, we can tell when we're not needed!" Rikku agreed, trying to get up but failing, "Owie...where are my daggers?"
Squall looked down at Rikku who was rubbing her butt in pain, "That's not important. You're not in any shape to fight."
"Oh come on!" Rikku whined, "I'm up ain't I? Plus I wanna show this meanie what us Al Bhed's can do!" She glared at Dell.
"Meanie! You dirty little Al Bhed..."
"Cram it, jerk! You're the dirty one!"
Dell looked like he wanted to go after Rikku, but Squall was there between them, his gunblade ready to attack him or Lax if they tried anything stupid. Dell sighed, glaring at Rikku. He really hated Al Bheds. They think they're so smart because they can build machina. They weren't so smart when the machina went crazy and killed his and Lax's oldest brother, Gar. Ever since then Dell promised to hurt Al Bheds as much as they hurt him.
"We'll be leaving." Squall said, looking at Dell who was looking at Rikku. Squall really didn't like these guys now, not only were they perverts but prejudice against Al Bheds which wasn't good for Rikku.
"There's no need for that friend." Lax smiled. Squall and Rikku looked at him in confusion as Dell looked at him in shock.
"WHAT?" Dell asked angrily, "What do you mean 'no need'? I want her gone!"
"Dell, may I speak to you in private?" Lax asked. Dell nodded, following Lax into a tent.
"Zangc. (jerks)" Rikku said, watching them walk into the tent. She hated how people just judged her because she was Al Bhed. True, Al Bheds weren't exactly loved in Spira, but who were they to judge her without getting to know her.
"Don't let it get to you." Squall said, "Some people can never change. He's one of them."
"That sucks."
Squall nodded, "But you really shouldn't care what he thinks about you. It's what you think about yourself. In the end, you're all you need."
"You're half right." Rikku said, watching him stare at her in confusion.
"How am I half right?"
"I'm not all I need in the end. If I were...I'd be weak and alone. No Yunie...or Lulu...no friends are family to give me the strength I need to be strong and happy."
"Friends and family? Those things don't matter. In the end, you're alone."
Rikku looked up at him, her face emotionless so that he couldn't tell what she was thinking. He found this odd because he could usually read Rikku like an open book. He decided there was only two sides to her: The perky Rikku, the one that danced and singed, jumping around and falling clumsily. The one he found annoying...and adorable. And then there was the pissy Rikku, the one who would have an attitude and argue until her face was red with anger. The one he liked to bother and also found very adorable.
"That's sad." Rikku finally said, looking away from his face.
"It's true."
"No, it's not sad because it's true. It's said because you actually believe it."
"Why shouldn't I?"
Rikku didn't answer, she just watched the sun slowly go down. Squall watched her in amazement. She actually looked...calm...serene, mature for her age like she was wise for her age. To him she looked more then adorable, she looked beautiful.
"Don't you ever wanna fall in love, Squall?" Rikku asked, still not looking at him.
He looked at her in shock. Did she just ask what he think she asked? Love? That was the furthest thing from his mind. Plus he wasn't allowed to love even if he wanted to. Love would destroy him...cloud his mind from the important things like taking care of himself. Plus, everyone he loves leaves. He was about to respond until Dell and Lax walked out the tent, smiling wide again.
"Why're you so happy?" Rikku asked, 'pissy Rikku' coming back out.
"Look, I'm sorry," Dell apologized, looking at Rikku, "I was a huge jerk. My brother just talked some sense into me about how I need to forgive and forget. You see, our older brother was killed by an Al Bhed machina. That's why I acted the way I did."
Squall rolled his eyes, not believing his story. What were these guys up to? Wasn't he just about to rip Rikku's throat out a minute ago? He looked to Rikku, hoping she wasn't believing his bullshit. When he looked at her, she was looking at Dell with pity, obviously forgiving him already. Her eyes wide and sad. 'Come on, Rikku! You actually believe this guy? He's bullshitting!' Squall thought, looking down at Rikku.
"I understand." Rikku replied, not noticing Squall's stare.
"You actually believe this guy?" Squall asked, angrily.
"I know what he means." Rikku answered, looking down sadly.
Squall looked at him in confusion, wondering what she meant by that.
"Good," Lax smiled, "now that all is forgiven. Yout two will get the blue tent while my brother and I get the red one."
Squall didn't like the feeling he felt. He felt they were up to something and it wasn't good. Rikku seemed to sort of trust them, but that was one of the problems with her. She saw good in everyone, easily forgiving them. Then again where would they go if they left? Rikku wasn't fully recovered and it was getting late. He couldn't carry Rikku, protecting her and himself against the night fiends. He really hated having to worry about others.
"Fine," He said, agreeing, "we'll stay."
"Yippee!" Rikku cheered, releasing 'perky Rikku'.
MT. GAGAZET
Ever since Seymour introduced himself as Yuna's fiancee, Tidus has been very quiet. They were travelling down the mountain, Seymour volunteering himself to go with them to the Thunder Plains. Seymour was talking about how happy he was that Yuna succeeded, this meant they could finally get married. Yuna was barely paying attention to him, glancing at Tidus's sad face.
She didn't want him to find out this way. She didn't want him to find out at all. She wanted to take him away, just the two of them, so she can explain why she was marrying Seymour. It wasn't because she loved him, it was for the best of all Al Bhed and hated races. If her and Seymour got married, then the prejudice would stop. That's what Yuna wanted, unity. She agreed to the proposal a long time ago when she watched people terrorize Rikku, she never wanted that to happen to her or anyone else again.
"...and once we're married we can have a huge party at your hometown, Yuna. Bevelle right?" Yuna nodded consciously, not really hearing what he was saying. Seymour smiled back at Tidus, "What you think, Tidus?"
Tidus looked up, glaring at Seymour, "I think you talk too much, Seymour."
"What!" Seymour yelled, offended, "What do I care what you think anyways? You're just a Blitzball player."
Tidus pulled out his sword, "Wanna say that again?" He asked, pointing it threateningly at Seymour's throat.
"Tidus, stop!" Yuna cried out, getting between them.
Tidus looked into Yuna's tear-filled eyes and put his sword down, "I'm leaving." He said as he began to walk away.
"Good."
"What? You can't! We're on a mission, Tidus!" Yuna cried, grabbing Tidus's arm, "I need you!"
Tidus stopped, not looking at her, "You have Seymour, you don't need me anymore."
"Tidus-"
"He's right, Yuna." Seymour said, detaching her arm from Tidus's, "You have me. Let him go."
"No!"
"Now, Yuna," Seymour smiled, "Don't start acting like a spoiled brat, let him go. Go straight north and then turn right once you see a shop. There should be a hover stop there, Tidus."
Tidus nodded angrily and continued walking.
"Let's go, Yuna." Seymour said, quickly dragging Yuna away.
Yuna tried to pull out of Seymour's grasp, wondering why he was in such a hurry to move anyway. She didn't want Tidus to leave, especially for him to leave without knowing the whole story. That's when Yuna saw it, some men where on top of a high cliff looking down at Tidus. She looked at Seymour who glanced up at the men and smiled. 'No...he wouldn't!' Yuna thought, panic filling her body.
Tidus was walking until he felt the ground begin to shake. He stopped, looking around cautiously. 'Ground shaking...that only means one thing..." Tidus thought, looking up at an avalanche of snow falling towards him.
"TIDUS! NO!" Yuna screamed, pushing Seymour away from her and running towards Tidus.
"YUNA! GET BACK HERE!" Seymour yelled.
Yuna ignored him, running up to Tidus, trying to push him out the way but she was too late. The avalanche got both of them, sending them flying off the mountain with the snow.
BIKANEL DESERT CAMPSITE
"It's getting dark," Lax said, looking at the sun disappear, "we're gonna need some supplies to start a fire."
"You mean you guys don't have wood?" Squall asked, staring at them like they were the biggest idiots in Spira.
"Hey! We're just humans!" Dell said, defending themselves, "we forget things too!"
"Yeah. But I know what will build a good fire and be good enough to burn." Lax said.
"What?"
"Ooh! I know!" Rikku spoke up, "Squall's gunblade!"
Squall glared at Rikku who smiled back at him.
"No, sweetie," Lax smiled, "fiend corpses."
"Fiend corpses?" Squall asked, quirking an eyebrow. He didn't like that this Lax guy called Rikku 'sweetie'. But Rikku didn't mind, she loved compliments.
"Yeah, they can keep a fire going." Dell said, "how 'bout you go get use some, Mr. Lionheart?"
Squall looked at both of them then at Rikku who was smiling encouragingly at him, "Hell no."
"Why not? We need a fire!" Lax said.
"Because I'm not leaving Rikku here by herself..."
"We'll be here to watch her." Dell began.
"Exactly." Squall replied, "If I go, she comes with me. Since she can't come with me, then I ain't going anywhere."
"Aw, c'mon, Squall! I'll be fine!" Rikku said, handing Squall his gunblade, "do get us some dead fiends. I betcha those dead fiends that you killed are still in that cave."
"Yeah, plus you're the only one with a weapon to defend yourself." Dell said, pointing to Squall's gunblade.
"You guys didn't bring any weapons either?" Squall asked, "You two are some big idiots."
"Be nice, ya big meanie!" Rikku said, trying to get up again, but she still felt dizzy, causing her to fall down.
"I wish you'd stop doing that." Squall said, watching Rikku rub her butt in pain again.
"Well I can't stay still for a long time! You of all people should know that!"
"So you're not gonna get the dead fiends?" Dell asked.
"No-"
"Squall! It's getting pretty cold ya know! I'd appreciate some heat!" Rikku said, shivering.
Squall watched her shiver then sighed. He had that feeling again, this was a bad idea, "Fine, I'll go...but I'm gonna be back soon." He looked at Dell and Lax, "very soon."
"Alright, calm down, man." Dell smiled, "we'll be here waiting for you, with your pretty little friend."
Rikku blushed and giggled shyly.
"Whatever." Squall said, grabbing his gunblade, "Rikku, I'll be back. Don't do anything...Rikku-ish."
"Hey!" Rikku yelled, offended. Squall smirked at her then walked off into the desert.
Dell and Lax waited till Squall was out of sight before they approached Rikku, sitting next to her. Rikku looked at them nervously, scooting back alittle. She missed Squall already, these guys made her uncomfortable. Lax was smiling at her as Dell leaned in closer to smell her hair.
"Uh...may I help you?" She asked, smiling nervously at them.
"You're a very pretty girl." Lax replied, stroking her hair. Rikku winced, leaning back either farther. 'Squall...where are you?' Rikku thought, hoping Squall would appear, 'Just great! Squall was right about these guys!'
"Uh...thanks?" Rikku replied, giggling nervously. She couldn't help it, when she gets nervous or is in an awkward situation, she tends to giggle.
"And very beautiful eyes." Dell said, turning Rikku's head to him.
"Right." She smiled, looking around the sand. 'Where are my daggers!' She thought, searching for them with her eyes.
"Ya know," Dell began, placing a hand on Rikku's thigh, "that little boyfriend of your is kind of a jerk...he doesn't treat you right, honey."
Rikku looked at his hand in terror, "Uh...Squall's...not my boyfriend. And he's a good person once you get to...know him." He moved his hand higher up her thigh, "And, I like him. That's all that matters." Even though she was in a frightening situation, she stopped to think about what she just said. Did she really like Squall? Yes she did...probably more then she should. They may argue a lot, but he was still fun to be around and talk to. He may have had problems with trust and partnership, but she'd help him with that if it was the last thing she does. He needed to know how it felt to feel love. She wishes he was here for her to tell him that, but he was still gone. Plus he could get these perverted guys away from her.
"But we can treat you better." Lax smiled, rubbing her back.
"I don't want to be treated better, I want Squall!" Rikku replied, glaring at the both of them.
"We can do things to you that Squall can never do..." Dell smiled.
Rikku hit his hand away with disgust, "Don't touch me, banjand! (pervert!)"
Dell's smile turned into a frown as his face filled with anger and hatred, "Look you little Al Bhed whore! You owe me and my brother! You're gonna do what we say and you're gonna let us do what we want!" He grabbed Rikku by the wrists.
Rikku looked at him in fear as she felt a strong wind blow.
Squall was close to the camp when he heard the voices: 'Don't touch me, banjand!' 'Look you little Al Bhed whore! You owe me and my brother! You're gonna do what we say and you're gonna let us do what we want!' '...Rikku..." Squall threw down the dead fiends and ran to the camp.
He spotted Dell holding Rikku by the wrists, angrily glaring at her. Lax still had his hand on her back. Squall pulled out his gunblade, approaching them.
"LET HER GO!" He yelled angrily.
"Squall!" Rikku smiled, Dell and Lax quickly stood up, shocked to see him back so soon.
"Hey...Squall..." Lax greeted.
"Shut the hell up and back away from her or I'll blast your brains out...I'm sure no one will miss you two." Squall interrupted, moving towards them. A sudden gust of wind pushed him back, causing him to land hard on the ground.
"SQUALL!" He heard Rikku scream, but her voice was drowned out by the wind-blowing and the on-coming sand storm.
Squall opened his eyes and saw a whirlwind of sand circle around Rikku, Lax, and Dell.
"Shit." He muttered, getting up, trying to spot Rikku in the sand whirlwind. He was once again thankful for her clothing, spotting her out by her bright colors.
The sand was twirling in a pattern, Squall spotted an opening, if he was quick enough he could grab Rikku and get out of here. He quickly ran into the middle of the whirlwind, picking up Rikku. Dell and Lax were on the ground, covering themselves from the wind and sand.
"Please don't leave us!" Lax cried out, "We're sorry we touched the girl!"
Squall glared at them and turned away, jumping out the whirlwind with Rikku still in his arms. They landed on the sand roughly, Rikku holding on to Squall's neck as if trying not to get blown away. Squall closed his eyes, trying not to have sand, wind, and Rikku's hair smack him in the face.
"Squall!" Rikku yelled in a panicked voice, "What about them?"
"What about them?' Squall asked back, trying to get up.
"We can't just leave them! They...they could DIE!" Rikku said, glancing at the whirlwind.
"Let them, they deserve it."
Rikku stared at the whirlwind in concern. Yes they were jerks, yes they were perverts, but they were still living people. She couldn't just stand by and let them die. She was pretty sure her strength was almost back, she can help them somehow.
Squall saw Rikku staring at the whirlwind with worried eyes, "Rikku, don't get any stupid ideas-" She jumped out of his arms, quickly running back inside the whirlwind, "RIKKU!" He yelled. He'd never understand this girl, those guys were about to do god-knows-what to her, and she was still risking her own life for them. For someone else. She was doing what he was about to do, again. He ran after her.
He jumped into the middle once again, looking for her. "RIKKU!" He yelled, trying to see through the sand.
"Squall!" Rikku yelled, she was outside the whirlwind again, "Grab Lax! I already got Dell!"
Squall sighed angrily, this girl was trying to get him killed. But if he didn't grab Lax now, she'd end up coming in after him, causing Squall to go after her again. He grabbed Lax's unconscious body, dragging it out the whirlwind.
"You got him!" Rikku cheered, hopping up and down.
"Good to know you're feeling better." Squall replied grimly.
"Uh...ya see..." Rikku giggled nervously, "I stole your elixir and used it."
Squall patted his pockets in shock, she was right, his elixir was missing, "You thief!"
"Sorry." Rikku apologized, "I couldn't let them die."
Squall and Rikku watched as the whirlwind disappeared. That's what he hated about Bikanel Desert, the whirlwinds that just pop up.
Rikku looked down at Dell's and Lax's beat up bodies, "They're out like a light." She commented.
"Yup." Squall replied, looking at them too.
"Let's get that fire started, shall we?" Rikku asked, jumping up and running towards the tents.
"Why me?" Squall smiled.
MT. GAGAZET
Tidus felt the coldness of the snow and the warmness of Yuna's body in his arms. He felt a sharp pain in his head as they continued the fall down the mountain. 'So this is it?' He thought, 'This is how I die?' He expected to fell the pain of his and Yuna's bodies falling roughly into the ground soon, breaking every bone in their bodies and ending their lives.
But he didn't fell anything but that sharp pain in his head, the coldness of the snow was gone too. He opened on eye, seeing the sky surrounding them. Sitting up quickly to see what was going on, he felt a hand gently push him back down.
"Shh, it's ok." Yuna smiled down at him, her hair blowing in the wind, "We're safe."
"Huh?" He asked in confusion, feeling the wind blow around him.
"We're on an aeon." Yuna explained, "I summoned one before we crashed into the ground."
"Oh." He tried sitting up again but felt a sharp pain in his head, "Uh!"
"You shouldn't try to get up. You hit your head pretty bad on a mountain rock, you can have a concussion." Yuna said, pushing him back down again, "I'm taking you to a hospital."
"Where's Seymour?"
Yuna tensed up, not looking at Tidus, "It doesn't matter."
"Yes it does. He's your fiancee."
"Don't start, Tidus. You don't understand..."
"I understand perfectly fine." Tidus began, placing his hands behind his head and staring at her, "You were just dragging me along. You weren't even interested in me. Quite the fiancee you have there though. He tried to kill me!"
"I didn't know he was gonna try to kill you!" Yuna cried, "And I wasn't dragging you along! I..." She stopped to sob, placing her head in her hands, "Can...can we not talk about this now?"
Tidus shrugged, looking away, "Fine. But it ain't like we have anything to talk about anymore. After this mission...we're going our seperate ways."
BIKANEL DESERT CAMPSITE
Rikku walked out the red tent and towards Squall who was sitting by the fire. He was staring depply into it, like he was thinking hard on something when Rikku happily flopped down next to him.
"The children are still asleep," She smiled, referring to Lax and Dell, "I tied them up to their cots so they wouldn't try anything stupid when they wake up."
"Let me ask you a question," Squall said, turning to face her, "How many times can you trust a person after they screwed your trust so many times?"
Rikku thought a moment, she knew he was talking about Lax and Dell who were very harmful to her, yet she gave them another chance. She knew they were probably gonna do something horrible to her, but she couldn't just let them stay there and be beaten to death. Squall obviously didn't seem to agree with her actions. Then again, Squall only cared about what happened to himself.
"I don't know," She shrugged, "I wasn't gonna let those poor jerks die!"
"Exactly, they were jerks." Squall stated, gazing deeply at her, "You could've died saving something that wasn't worth saving."
Rikku looked away smiling, the intesity of his gaze on her made her nervous, "Uh...I know...but it's just something I felt I had to do..."
"He hurt you, "Squall said, looking down at her wrists that were red from Dell grabbing her, "He hurt you and threatened you. If you ask me, it was just stupid to help him."
Rikku put her arms behind her back, "Hey, buster! No one asked you! Sorry I can't be all lone-wolfy like you! I have to help people in danger!"
"I never told you to be like me."
"Well you're talking like you want me to! You have to learn how to be a team player, mister!"
"I don't like teams," Squall replied angrily, turning back to look at the fire, "I'm not a team player or a leader and I like it that way. I like not worrying about others."
Rikku rolled her eyes, turning towards the fire too. This boy was so difficult! If he expected to become a Lionheart and protect his sorceress, then he needed to learn how to want to take care of others too. Rikku was still gonna keep her promise to him, she will help him care about others. 'Hmm...I wonder what happened to him to make him this way..." Rikku thought, feeling him staring at her again.
"Now what?" She asked annoyed, "What I do now?"
Squall shrugged, still looking at her, "I was just wondering about something." He replied.
"And that would be...?"
"Why don't you ever cry?" He asked, curiously, "I mean really cry. It seems once you start, you stop yourself and become all...happy again. Why's that?"
Rikku shrugged, placing her head on her knees, "I don't know. I guess I forbad myself from crying infront of others since my mom died."
"Your mom?" Squall asked, shocked, he didn't know much about her family except that she had a dad, brother, and Yuna.
"Yup," She replied, looking at the fire again, "my mom was killed by a machina. It went crazy, I guess."
"Oh." Squall said, now knowing why Rikku felt sad for Dell and Lax, saying that she knew what they meant.
"Everyone was crying...including me." Rikku continued, more to herself then him, "And we went on like that for what seems like forever. The misery was horrible, someone had to stop and brighten up."
"And that someone happened to be you?"
Rikku nodded, "I began cheering everyone up. Then I made myself promise to never cry infront of people, I need to look strong so they will be too. If i cry, then so do they, then that misery comes back."
Squall looked at Rikku who was watching the fire sadly. So she wasn't crazy, she just wanted to help everyone else. He could never do that, make people feel better. He couldn't even cheer himself up, let alone his friends and family. Squall began to feel more respect for her, she had to grow up and take care of others at such a young age. But she still managed to have a positive outlook on life, and stay happy.
"I lived in an orphanage for awhile," Squall began, Rikku turned to look at him in shock, "I met this girl there who was like an older sister to me. We were always together...inseperable. Until one day we were forced away from eachother, leaving me alone in the orphanage by myself. Since then I promised myself not to become connected to others, because I didn't want to feel that pain and emptiness again."
'So that's why!' Rikku thought. She was shocked and happy that he trusted her enough to tell her something so deep and personal, but once he told her she wished he hadn't. He looked so...sad, remembering those good days and that one horrible day with his 'sister'. So she did what she did best to cheer people up, she perked up and smiled.
"Come on, Squallie!" She said, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I'm starving! Let's eat!"
He looked at her, knowing what she was trying to do. The odd thing was...it was actually working. He was actually starting to feel better, "Squallie?" He asked with a small smile.
"Yeah!" Rikku smiled, "You're my friend. All my friends get a nickname! Yours is 'Squallie.'"
"I'm your friend?" He asked in shock, he thought she couldn't stand him.
"Well, ya did save my life like akagillion times!" Rikku replied, getting up, "If you ain't my friend then you're one helpful enemy!"
"Tidus and Wakka? They you're friends too?"
"Of course! They can be sweet at times, plus they mean a lot to Yunie and Lu."
"Their names are...?"
"Chocobo-hair and Tubby, of course!"
Squall smiled, "Well at least 'Squallie' is better then 'Squally-poo'."
"Aw..." Rikku pouted, "I like Squally-poo!"
Squall's smile widened, as he shook his head, "You have issues."
"Says the guy who wears way too many belts." Rikku replied, smiling wider too.
"Hmm..." Squall said, staring at her.
"What?" Rikku asked, feeling uncomfortable again.
"I just noticed you have dimples." Squall said, staring at her face, "They're adorable."
"Well, duh!" Rikku replied, rolling her eyes and blushing, "Leave it to a boy to just notice! I'm gonna go check on Lax and Dell. Make me something for me to eat!"
Squall shook his head, smiling, as Rikku walked into the tent.
THUNDER PLAINS DOCTOR'S OFFICE
"Your boyfriend is asleep right now, but when he wakes he'll be fine." The nurse smiled at Yuna.
"He's not my boyfriend." Yuna replied, looking through the glass at Tidus sleeping on the hospital bed. After what he said on the aeon, she wasn't even sure if he was still her friend. She wasn't trying to string him along, she really wanted to get to know him more, to see what he was really like. She knew she shouldn't have though, she knew she had to marry Seymour. Maybe she did mess up by flirting with him and allowing him to flirt with her. But she liked him, really liked him and didn't want to just leave him alone. He was fun, caring, and very attractive, not like Seymour at all.
The thought of Seymour made her sick. What was he thinking trying to kill Tidus? How did he even know Tidus and that he was with her? Was he having her be followed? If he and her were going to get married to bring peace among Spira, then what was he thinking trying to kill someone he just met? Yuna saw Tidus stir, she quickly ran into his room and by his bedside.
"...Yuna...?" He whimpered.
Yuna grabbed his hand and squeezed it softly, "Yes, Tidus, I'm here."
"Are you ok?" He whispered weakly.
Yuna smiled, tears filling her eyes again, "I'm fine. You need to rest, ok?"
He nodded slowly, his eyes still closed, "Yuna...I..."
Yuna stared at him, waiting for him to finish, but he fell back to sleep.
"I'm so sorry, Tidus." She cried.
BIKANEL DESERT CAMPSITE
"Rikku! Dinner's done!" Squall said, setting plates on the blanket, "I hope you like beans because that's all they had." She didn't respond, he heard a loud thump come from inside the tent.
"Rikku?" He asked, walking towards the tent, sensing something was wrong.
He walked into the tent, finding Lax and Dell out of their beds, perfectly healthy. He looked at the cots to see that the ropes they were tied to have been cut and they used potion to heal themselves. Lax had Rikku, holding a needle with green liquid in it to her neck. Dell turned to smile at Squall.
"Squall? Hey, sorry, we didn't mean to alert you." He said, walking towards a struggling Rikku, "You see, we were just gonna take her and be on our way. You don't mind do you?"
Squall wasn't listening to him, his eyes were on Rikku's frightened face and the needle that Lax held to her neck. If he sticked her with that, she'd probably go numb and won't be able to defend herself. 'I knew I should've came with her!' Squall thought, reaching for his gunblade, 'Shit!' He remembered he left it outside by the fire.
"Now we're just gonna take this pretty little girl and leave, we don't want no trouble." Dell said, as he, Lax and Rikku moved towards the tent entrance.
Squsll flinched, not wanting them to leave with her. He could probably fight them off physically, but that'll leave them enough time to hurt Rikku. Telling from the cut ropes, they had a knife on them somewhere.
Rikku stared at him, standing very still, telling him something with her eyes. Squall noticed it, nodding mentally to her. 'Ok, Rikku, do what you're gonna do, but remember: Don't do anything stupid.' Squall thought, clenching his fist. Rikku nodded, understanding him too.
"Yeah, we actually like this girl," Lax smiled, kissing Rikku on the head as she winced, "She's a real sweetheart. Trusting too, maybe too trusting."
Rikku quickly elbowed him in the gut, causing him to release her and hold on her. But she was also too slow, he stabbed the needle in her neck, causing her to fall to the ground.
Squall glanced at Rikku, wanting to run to see if she was ok until he remember Dell was still there. He turned to face a stunned Dell, raising his fist to punch him.
"Shit!" Dell yelled, spraying some liquid into Squall's eyes before he could strike. Squall covered his eyes in pain as Dell ran out the tent.
"Rikku!" Squall called out, stampering towards her on the floor.
"I'm ok," She responded, barely moving her mouth, "He didn't inject it all in me."
"Ok," Squall said, getting his vision back alittle, "I'm gonna get that Dell asshole."
"Squall no!" Rikku cried out, "it's too dangerous! He can be armed."
"I'll be ok." Squall said, walking out the tent.
Rikku sighed, trying to get up, 'I'm not gonna let him fight alone again.'
Squall spotted Dell run into the other tent, he quickly picked up his gunblade and ran after him.
Dell was searching for something desperately in the tent.
"Wasn't very smart of you to run in here." Squall said, pointing his gunblade at him.
"You couldn't let us go with her," Dell said, not turning around, "Everything would've been fine if you would've just let us take that little Al Bhed bitch with us."
Squall glared angrily at him, "I wasn't gonna let you hurt her."
Dell began laughing, "Fine...I see how it is. If it isn't gonna be your little girlfriend paying for my brother's death...then YOU will!" He turned around and shot Squall.
"SQUALL!" Rikku cried, limping over to Squall's body and pulling him into an embrace.
"Rikku...what the hell are you doing here?" Squall asked, trying to keep his eyes open.
"We're partners, I wasn't gonna let you go after him alone." Rikku said, watching the blood come out from his wound.
"Go...he'll hurt you...run..." Squall closed his eyes, passing out.
"Get up!" Dell demanded, pointing the gun at Rikku.
Rikku glared up at him, "You shot him! You hurt my friend!"
"Cry me a river! Now you, me, and my brother are gonna get out of here-"
"No!" Rikku yelled, weakly getting up, pulling out her daggers, "You're gonna pay! Oui'na kuhhy byo HUF! (You're gonna pay now!)"
THUNDER PLAINS DOCTOR OFFICE
Yuna sat in Tidus's room by his bedside for hours, hoping that he'd get up soon. She wondered if he'd even talk to her if he did wake up, it was her fault that he almost died. She should've told him about Seymour. She heard a familiar voice in the hallway, it sounded panicked and frightened. Yuna got up, to go investigate.
"Is he gonna be ok!" The voice asked, panicked.
"Miss, just please have a seat!" The nurse said trying to calm her down, "You're soaked from the rain and you look like you're about to pass out."
"I'm fine! What about him!" The girl asked, trying to look into the operating room.
"Rikku?" Yuna asked, what are you doing here? Where's Squall?" Yuna asked, approaching Rikku who was soaked and looked like she'd faint at any moment.
"Yunie!" Rikku cried out, running to give Yuna a big hug, "It was horrible...these two guys...one shot Squall!"
Yuna was trying to understand what Rikku was saying, but she was so hysterical that she couldn't.
"Slow down, Rikku, Squall was shot?" Yuna asked in concern.
Rikku nodded, looking into Squall's room, "I fought the guy with the gun...defeating him. I stole his chocobo and rode here."
Yuna looked at her in shock, "You rode here? By yourself? But your phobia!"
"I know," Rikku responded, not looking at Yuna, "but I had to get him to a doctor! He was losing so much blood..."
Yuna saw the worry and tiredness in Rikku's eyes and in her features. "Shh, It's ok, Rikku," Yuna said, comforting her, "Squall will be fine."
"This is all my fault!" Rikku sighed, trying to hold back tears, "What're you doing here anyways?" She asked, trying to get her mind off of Squall.
Yuna tensed, remembering what happened on the mountains, "Um...Tidus and I ran into alittle trouble."
"Trouble? You ok?"
"I'm fine, just alittle bruises...Tidus on the other hand..." Yuna looked away.
"What, Yunie? What about him? He ok?" Rikku asked, becoming even more panicked.
"He hit his head...badly." Yuna responded.
"Oh." Rikku said, looking down.
"Come on, girls." The nurse said, approaching them, "You two look like you can use some water."
Rikku and Yuna nodded sadly, following her.
TWO HOURS LATER
Yuna would walk back and forth from Squall's and Tidus's room. Rikku stayed with Squall all night, eventually falling asleep next to his bed. Yuna was too worried to sleep, Tidus was hurt and probably hated her, Squall was shot, and Rikku nearly died so many times, and she had to come to the Thunder Plains. Yuna knew that wasn't easy for her.
"I got you some Choco Milk, Rikku." Yuna said, approaching Rikku. Rikku stirred and looked up, smiling gratefully at her and accepted the milk.
"Thanks, Yunie." She said, turning to look at Squall, "Did he wake up at all while I slept?"
"He moved." Yuna stated, pointing to his arm that was now cradled around Rikku's back.
Rikku blushed alittle and smiled, "He's gonna be alright...right, Yunie?"
Yuna nodded, smiling at her.
"And so will Tidus." Rikku said, hoping to make Yuna feel better, "He'll be up and flirting with you in no time."
Yuna became sad again, "I don't know about that, Rikku." She sighed.
Rikku looked at her in concern, "What's wrong, Yunie?"
"Nothing." Yuna looked up and tried to give Rikku a convincing smile.
"That doesn't work on me, Missy! I know you too good!"
"Rikku-" Yuna began.
"Rikku?" Rikku felt the hold on her tighten, she quickly looked at Squall who slowly opened his eyes.
"SQUALL!" Yuna and Rikku smiled happily.
Squall looked around the room then at Yuna and Rikku, "Where am I?" He asked, confused.
"Thunder Plains Doctor Office." Yuna smiled.
"Thunder Plains?' Squall asked, shocked, looking at Rikku.
"That's right, Mister! I had to face my fear for awhile and drag your heavy butt here!" Rikku said angrily, but he knew that she was happy that he finally woke up, "I told you not to go after him alone!"
"You fought Dell?" Squall asked, shocked, "But you had those drugs in your system..."
"I wasn't gonna let him hurt you and get away with it." Rikku smiled.
Squall smiled back, happy to see that she was safe.
"I'm gonna check on Tidus." Yuna said, walking towards the door.
"What happened to Tidus?" Squall asked, concerned.
"Nothing bad...he just bumped his head. No biggie." Yuna smiled, assuringly, walking out the door to give them privacy.
Once Yuna closed the door, Rikku got up to lock it and close the window curtains so no one could look in.
Squall watched her in amusement. He knew what was coming: a big lecture about how he needs to be careful and let her help more. She was probably gonna yell at him and hit him for being so neglectant. But when she turned around, she didn't look mad or happy. For the first time in him knowing Rikku, he saw her sad...more then sad, she was worried.
A tear slid down her face as she frowned at him. It was at this point when Squall noticed that there weren't only two sides to Rikku, there were three. And he didn't like to see the third one: Depressed Rikku. This Rikku made his heart sink, made him wanna do anything to make her smile and laugh again.
"Rikku..." He said sadly, watching her look him in the eyes, him staring back at hers.
She couldn't control herself anymore, she broke down sobbing. Sitting next to his bedside again, she placed her head in her hands, trying to stop but failing.
"Rikku!" He quickly sat up, not caring about the pain that caused him, "Please, Rikku, don't cry."
Rikku continued, tears spilling out her eyes and down her cheeks, "I'm...so...sorry!" She breathed between sobs, "This is all my fault! I was careless! I shouldn't have saved them! I shouldn't have...I should've listened to you!"
"Rikku." Squall said, lifting her head so he can look at her face, into her eyes, "It's not your fault."
"Yes it is!" Rikku cried, "This is all my fault! You could've died so many times because of me..."
"I chose to go after you!" Squall said, wiping her eyes, "I wanted to save you...as for Dell and Lax...you didn't know they were jerks..."
""Yes I did! But I still helped them...I'm such an idiot!"
"No you're not...please don't cry..." Squall said, "I don't like to see you cry, it hurts me more then this damn bullet wound."
Rikku looked at him in confusion, "But..."
"Shh, all that matters is you're ok." He smiled, caressing her cheek.
Rikku looked at him in shock. It wasn't like Squall to show emotion...and he was showing a lot. And it was towards her, he actually cared about her. This caused Rikku to smile, showing off her dimples.
"Better." He said, "Don't blame yourself for the things I chose to do. If I had to, I'd save you all over again."
"Really?" She asked, looking at him happily.
"Really." He nodded, leaning towards Rikku and kissing her.
Rikku was shocked, but she didn't have to decide if she should open her mouth to him this time, because he decided for her. He gently opened her mouth with his tongue, sliding it against hers.
Rikku sighed happily, responding back to his kiss. He pulled her onto the bed with him, placing her on top of him., pulling her closer to deepen the kiss.
Squall then thought of an idea to make Rikku feel better. He wanted her to be happy again, and he wanted to make-up for making her cry. Now he knew what she meant by if she cried, everyone else would become sad too. Just seeing her cry for those few moments made him wanna die.
"Rikku," He said, breaking away from the kiss, "I have an idea."
Rikku smiled against his lips, "Oh yeah? What's that?"
He caressed her hair, smiling back, "We all need a vacation. What do you say we go to the beach?"
"The beach?" Rikku shrieked happily, sitting up, "Really? Ya mean it? You'll go to the beach with me?"
Squall nodded, looking up at her. He knew this would make her happy, she loved the beach.
"COOL!" She shrieked again, leaning down to hug him tightly, but stopped when she felt him wince in pain, "Sorry." She giggled sheepishly.
"It's ok." He said, pulling her into a hug again.
"Me, you, Yunie, Tidus, Wakka, and Lulu will have so much fun!" Rikku smiled, "Speaking of Wakka and Lulu...I wonder if they passed their mission...I mean, the rest of us got hurt."
Squall shrugged, wondering too.