Flame Of Recca Fan Fiction ❯ marriage by agreement ❯ the wedding night ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It was all over. He had stood before the vicar waiting for his bride. There was that amount of convention about this strange wedding. The vicar, quite unperturbed by the strangeness of the situation, the witnesses for the wedding, a little flustered and excited- then kagero had come quietly in. involuntarily he held his breath.

Only a few minutes ago when he had left her, kagero, she had been wearing the plain black kimono. Now, in every particular, she was dressed as a bride. Her long white silk skirts swept the floor, her dark head, covered with a filmy veil crowned with orange blossom, was slightly bent. In her hands, she carried a bouquet -afterwards, he could never remember what flowers it was made of because he suddenly noticed the tips of her satin shoes and it reminded him of a hokage haiku kagero told him about her wedding before.

Her feet beneath her kimono

Like little mice stride in and out

As if they feared the light

But oh! She dances such a way,

No sun upon an Easter-day

Is half so fine a sight.

Was kagero still like that now? Light-hearted and carefree? He did not know. He heard the echo of her voice: it will be more of an advantage to me-`

Now if you're ready, Mr. Mikagami, said the vicar.

A brief, reverent service. His voice and and kagero's making their responses. A ring that somehow slipped into his hand -he had forgotten about that, but evidently kagero had remembered it.

I pronounce you man and wife- .

Now they were headed towards tokiya's grandfather. Both of them were silent in the taxi that will take them there. It was tokiya who opened the conversation.

What is recca's reaction when you told him that you will leave for a while?

Nothing. Kagero said dryly.

Tokiya didn't reply and from then on the conversation foundered until, tokiya felt forced to say, `well I suppose our act starts here.

For the first time that day, she saw kagero smile. `Yes she said. Better put on my winning act.

From the door of the mansion, tetsuo stood waiting for them. Tokiya called him after their so called wedding. Seeing him now, he has that peace and tranquility in his eyes. He was pleased when he saw kagero and eagerly shook hands with her and gave her light kiss on the cheeks.

Kagero studied tokiya's grandfather. He must be around seventy, but he did look younger and fitter than most man his age. His fair thick hair was still thick and springy. His naturally thickest frame showed no sign of middle age spread. The lines on his face possibly were the imprint of years in the sun, not the mark of stress and fatigue.

"Let the maids carry your belongings. He said in his formal tone. Come to the dining room. You must at least eat first before you went to your bedroom.

Tokiya took kagero's hands as he led her in the dining room. She was grateful to him for that.

How do you two met? Tetsuo started the conversation, obviously in high spirits.

But tokiya was not. "I guess you knew that. So why ask us? He said curtly.

What do you mean? The old man asked.

Tokiya grinned. I know you've hired someone to watch over us. So most probably you know about kagero, korei and the happenings recenty. And of course about how we met.

Tetsuo was silent. Kagero felt the tension between the grandfather and his grandson. They didn't talk for the rest of the meal until tetsuo rose from his chair.

I guess I will leave you both now. I Am very sleepy forgive me.

It's alright. Kagero smiled at him and once again gave him a kiss on his cheek. Goodnight father.

He saw that tesuo's eyes were moist after he called him father. "Bless you my daughter, goodnight tokiya.

Goodnight. He said dryly.

After the meal, he told her that he must begin through the paper his grandfather entrusted him and ask her if she would like to help him.

They concern you, you know. He reminded her. You have a share in all of this.

Yes I suppose so; she said, not in a way that suggested any eagerness to assume possession, but rather a realization that tokiya is playing a clean and fair game. "but if you don't mind I would like to go to bed. I really didn't get much sleep last night, you know.

He looked at her more closely and saw the smudgy black rings under her eyes, the pinched whiteness of her little face, and realize for the first time the conscious restraint that she was making herself impose.

Yes, I think that would be a very good idea; he agreed. Ask granddad's nurse for some aspirin before you go.

Oh I won't need that; she said quickly. I am so tired- you might be as well, tokiya must you do the papers tonight?

I'm afraid so; he said regretfully. You see I must get back to school tomorrow.

I see; she stifled a yawn and laughed shame-facedly. I'm tired; she repeated apologetically.

When she had gone to her room, he went into the room that tesuo used as his study and his library. Tokiya opened the box that tetsuo gave him that afternoon that they were alone; It was the obaken. By just merely touching it, one could feel it's power. Tokiya was feeling it now. He smiled. Now he would be indestructible. Even korei would be no match against him after he learnt how to use the obaken well. Tomorrow, he will use the obaken with his ensui on his grandfather's gym. He smiled again.

He was just returning the obaken to the safe when a little sound made him turn.

Kagero was standing in the doorway. She was wearing her plain kimono and her feet were bare.

He went over to her quickly, for she was shaking from head to foot.

What is it kagero? He asked gently, putting a steadying arm round her.

I'm so tired she muttered. But I can't sleep!

It wasn't surprising, of course. As she had said, she had a very little sleep, and, besides, the day had been crowded with incident. She must had recalled her wedding before. And looking at her now, she must had remembered oka again. The one she really did love. without a word he half led, half carried her to the big leather couch and switched on the electric fire. Then he went to the little side table, on with whisky and soda been left for him, and poured out a fairly stiff shot.

I want you to take this, even though you may not like it; he said taking it to her. Sip it very slowly.

With a little grimace of distaste she did as she was told, and he could see the warmth of the spirit was gradually stealing over her. But even so there was still that imploring look in her eyes, and suddenly, he realized that she needed more than physical warmth. She needed comforting, and only the reassuring contact of another human being could give her that. He sat down beside her, his arms round her shoulders, and instantly she snuggled, childlike, up against him.

It isn't that I'm afraid or anything silly like that; she confided shakily. "but-"

I know; he said softly.

There was a silence, and he guessed that she was turning over the experiences of the day in her mind, reassured by his nearness. Gradually, he felt her relax. The spirit and warmth were doing there work, and soon, he thought, she would be asleep. Yet he was reluctant to suggest that she should go back to her room. Very gently, he drew her down into his arms, and like a sleepy child she automatically accepted the greater comfort the new position provided and lifted her bare feet up on to the couch. There was a rug lying over the back of it, and he contrived to arrange that over without disturbing her. Then he sat very still, and quite soon he got his reward. Her heave lids dropped, the hand that held the lapel of his coat relaxed and slipped to her own gently rising breast. Kagero was asleep.

For a long time tokiya sat staring at the electric fire, hardly conscious of thought, mesmerizes by the bright bars. Then suddenly he was wide awake.

A slight movement of kagero's hand, the glitter of something bright - the wedding ring that she herself brought for him to put there.

This was his wedding night! He glanced down at the tranquil, trusting face pillowed against him. And surely an odder marriage night no man had ever spent!