Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Unleashing the Monster ❯ Waking Up ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hidy! Umm…I just wanted to say, for those who expect a huge fanfic….sorry. I've tried to write those…They suck… badly. *hides from angry reviewers* This one is actually halfway over! But, people seem to like my writing…. And I have like, a lot of fics… maybe I'll do another…
On to your new chapter!
 
Unleashing the Monster
 
Chapter 5-Waking Up
 
Yuki groaned as he sat up, letting his covers fall heavily from him. He hated mornings. He knew Kami had made morning just to screw with him.
He pushed out of bed and rubbed his eyes groggily. Mornings were especially hard after not sleeping most of the night before.
The rat rummaged through his packing boxes, looking for something to wear. He knew packing a month early for University was stupid, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to leave… badly.
As he changed and shuffled downstairs, Yuki wondered vaguely why he hadn't slept the night before. `It was too quiet.' He answered with a sigh. It had been quiet for the last few weeks. And it was all that stupid cats fault. Before, the house was full of noise; petty arguments, People laughing, even the perverted comment from Shigure every now and then. All was quiet now.
Tohru was suffering. It was obvious to everyone. Gone where her silly grins and happy, sparkling eyes. She would force a smile when people were around, but it never reached her eyes anymore. They stayed sad and lonely. Most of the time she just sat there, staring off into space. She did cheer up slightly after talking with Haru yesterday, but she was still so sad.
Shigure was quiet, too. With Kyo as his main source of entertainment, He had no one left to tease. He had even stopped teasing Mii, giving her his manuscripts on time and with out argument. He spent a lot more time in his study now, only coming out for meals.
And himself? Yuki wasn't sure how he felt about Kyo's absence. At first, he told himself that he was glad the stupid cat was gone, and that it had nothing to do with the ache in his chest. But after Tohru's mental breakdown, he thought about it some more.
`You miss him, don't you?'
To be honest, there was something missing inside of him, Some small hole that he couldn't pinpoint. He figured he must miss Kyo on some level, but that didn't mean he would ever, ever admit it.
“Yuki?”
The Rat looked up and saw Tohru's worried face inches from his own. “M-miss Honda?” he stuttered, leaning back from her.
“Are you not hungry, Yuki?”
He looked down and with a start realized he was halfway through his breakfast. He didn't even remember sitting down. He picked up chopsticks and gave Tohru a smile. “I'm sorry, Miss Honda. I was just thinking.”
Tohru nodded and gave him one of her forced smiles. She picked up her and Shigure's empty dishes and carried them into the kitchen. Shigure waited until the door slid closed behind her before turning to Yuki. “Hari called this morning.” He stated simply, the usual airiness gone from his voice.
Yuki swallowed down the riceball he was eating . “Ok, why are you telling me this?”
Shigure glanced at the kitchen door before continuing. “He saw Kyo last week.”
Yuki's mouth dropped open.
“That was my reaction, too.”
The rat bit his lip and frowned. “And?”
“And what?”
Yuki sighed. “How is he?”
Shigure let out one of his old smiles. “Why would you care? I thought you hated Kyo?”
“I don't.” Yuki said quickly, “I mean, I do hate him. I… I was just wondering.”
The dog made a skeptic sound. “Oh, I see. Well, He said he's perfectly healthy, though not extremely happy.”
Yuki leaned back. How was he supposed to feel about that? Part of him was relived that he was ok, yet another part of himself was angry at the first part for being worried on the cat's behalf. Yet a little part of him was worried that Kyo was not happy…
He collected his dishes and took them into the kitchen without a word. Tohru was at the sink, cleaning up. He smiled and slipped his dishes into the sink for her. “Oh, thanks, Yuki.”
His smile faded when he realized that Tohru's small frame was wrapped inside Kyo's old hoodie. A flame of jealousy erupted in the pit of Yuki's gut. His hands shook and the plate he was still holding slid out of his grasp. It shattered as it hit the floor, jerking Yuki from his anger. “Oh, Yuki!” Tohru exclaimed, jumping at the sound. “Are you alright?”
The rat nodded and exited the room. He leaned against the wall in the hallway, taking a few deep breaths to calm down. Why was he jealous? He had already sorted through his feelings about Tohru. He didn't love her the same way Kyo did.
That didn't stop the anger from bubbling over at the thought of Tohru in Kyo's clothes. Maybe it was simply the fact that Kyo had finally beaten him at something. Even though Tohru would never see the cat again, she still seemed deeply on love with him.
He half wished he could trade places with the cat, wondering if Tohru would miss him as much.
Yuki gasped, horrified. No, trading places would be horrible. That would mean being locked up forever. He had been locked up with Akito before, but forever…
A frown grew on his face as a strange emotion erupted inside him, drowning out the hate and jealousy. Was it pity? Did he feel sorry for the cat? But…he hated Kyo! Kyo was the cat and he was the rat. That's the way it worked. It had been that way…forever.
Suddenly, to Yuki, that old excuse seemed stupid. They weren't really cat and rat, right? He had said it himself, they were people. Haru had hated Yuki because of the assumption that he was the clever rat. Had he and Kyo been doing the exact same thing this entire time? Kyo saw Yuki as the deceiving rat and blamed him for all his problems. But Yuki was just as guilty. He saw Kyo as the cat that didn't belong, and didn't even give him a chance.
As Yuki realized this, the pity in his stomach grew into sadness. Sadness that Kyo was gone. Sadness that he didn't even say goodbye. Sadness that they couldn't have been…friends.
“Yuki? Yuki!
The rat blinked and looked up from his crouched position in the hall. “Wha-?”
Shigure scrutinized him for a moment before handing him the phone. “Hari says he wants to talk to you.”
The teen groaned and took the receiver from the dog. Today just wasn't going to be a good day…
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
This chapter is a lot longer than the others! Yay for me!