Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Unleashing the Monster ❯ Acceptance ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sorry, Finals took forever! Here you go!
 
Unleashing the Monster
 
Chapter 6- Acceptance
 
A psychotic grin, one that only he himself could muster, passed slowly across Akito's pale face. “Yuki, it's truly wonderful that you could come and see me. I was worried that you'd forgotten about me.”
Yuki flinched as the god's icy words washed over him. Akito was trying to be nice. That was never good. “Did you want to see me for something, Akito?” He asked, proud at the minimal amount of dread in his voice. Akito stood up and moved closer, causing the rat to draw back slightly.
“Come now, Yuki. It's just been so long since I've talked to you. And you are going away to collage in a few weeks.” His eyes shone with amusement. “Though I don't know why you're even bothering. You know, eventually you will realize how truly useless you are.” Yuki refused to look away from the god's pitiless eyes. Even though his entire being was screaming at him to run. Something bad was definitely going to come out of this. “Then, when you do realize this, you will come crawling back to me, begging for forgiveness. But don't worry…” He ran a single finger down the side of Yuki's cheek “…I'll forgive you.”
Yuki couldn't take that. He forced his gaze away, pulling from Akito's touch. His fingers were deathly pale, more so than usual, and they were so thin… like merely a skeleton stretched with skin. Yuki had trouble hiding the disgust from his face.
Akito made a satisfied noise and leaned back. “You're happy at Shigure's now, right?” He asked after a moment. Yuki was taken aback.
The rat forced himself to gaze back up at Akito's eyes, which where glittering with malice. “Yes. I am very happy at Shigure's.”
“Good. I thought that if I got rid of that monster of a cat, you would be happier.”
“What?!” Yuki blurted out, wincing as Akito's eyes narrowed. “I mean, it wasn't really you, right? The cat gets locked up because it's tradition.”
“Oh, yes, yes he does.” Akito answered, smiling once more. “But usually they have a little more… free reign, if you know what I mean.” He shook his head in unconvincing pity. “He made a bet with me, though. Stupid monster. He told me he could beat you in a fight. In return, I would let him be a part of the zodiac. But if he didn't beat you before he graduated, which obviously he didn't, he had to be locked up early. He lost, we won, it's as simple as that.”
Yuki stared at Akito, completely lost in shock. It was his fault. He was the reason Kyo was locked up now. It was all him… “That's not fair.”
He froze in horror as the smile slid from Akito's face. `Did I just say that?! Oh, Kami…'
“What did you just say?”
Again, Yuki spoke, even though another part of him was screaming to shut up. “Kyo… He shouldn't have been allowed to make that bet. It was stupid. I should of at least heard about it. He really shouldn't even be locked up. It's bending to the curse's will. We should be fighting-”
SMACK.
Yuki's head jerked to the side as a sharp stinging erupted on his cheek. He looked up at Akito standing in front of him, livid with rage. Yet his eyes… his eyes were wide, fearful even. He raised his hand to strike again. “How dare you.” He hissed as though afraid to be overheard. “How dare you talk about defying the curse. No one can defy it, no one!” He took a few deep breaths before lowering his arm, looking exhausted.
“Get out.” He rasped shakily. Yuki hastened to comply, making a mental note to never take calls from Hatori again.
He walked off across the compound, still shocked about Akito's outburst. His eye's had been so… scared. Was Akito afraid of going against the curse just as much as the rest of the zodiac?
Yuki stopped at a fork in the path. He looked left and saw the main gate standing like a beacon of safety. Looking right, he could make out the tops of the old, worn out houses on the other side of the compound.
“They got him in one of the better houses over there, but Kyo's still in the middle of a bunch of old ruins.”
The rat sighed as Haru's voice echoed in his head before turning right, striding purposefully towards the center of the compound.
 
 
 
Kyo wiped the sweat off his brow as he finished his workout. `Ya gotta keep in shape so you can sit on your ass all day.' He thought sarcastically, wondering over to the table where Kureno had left his lunch. He pulled the box open and frowned at the contents inside. “Shougayaki… Haru would love this…”
“They say shougayaki is good on hot days.”
Kyo spun around and saw Yuki standing outside his window. His mouth fell open in surprise. “Wh- what the hell are you doing here?!”
Yuki braced his hands on either side of the window and frowned. “To be honest, I'm not really sure why I'm here.”
Kyo scoffed and threw himself into a chair. He wasn't used to seeing Yuki without a disgusted look on his face. Usually directed at him. He pulled out a pair of chopsticks and started to eat.
“Why didn't you tell me?” Yuki asked finally. Kyo shot him a questioning look and swallowed his mouthful of food.
“Tell you what?”
“About the deal you made with Akito.”
Kyo stopped with his chopsticks halfway to his mouth. “Who told you?” He asked angrily, ignoring the sauce dripping into his lap.
“Akito. Who else?”
The cat dropped his chopsticks, no longer hungry. He mentally cursed Akito a few more times. “It's not like it makes any difference.” He muttered, pulling himself out of his chair.
“But it does, Kyo. All this time I thought you were fighting me because I am the rat. But that wasn't it, was it?”
“What are you-”
“You just didn't wanna take the chance.”
“What chance? I don't even know what you're-”
Yuki slammed his hands on the window sill. “You didn't want to take the chance that we could have been friends, dammit!” He looked down avoiding Kyo shell-shocked gaze. “That's why you blamed all your problems on me! That's why you hid behind your hatred of the rat. Cause then it would be easier to fight me! SO then we could always be… enemies.”
Yuki swallowed and fell silent, looking down at the ground. As Kyo stared at him, something seemed to loosen in his chest. He grabbed hold of Yuki's shoulder and shook it, making him look back up at him. He gave him a half-hearted smile. “You…you're right, Yuki. But there's no use worrying about it now.”
The rat stared at him for a second before doing something totally unexpected. Reaching his thin arms through the bars in Kyo's window, he grabbed the cat and pulled him into an awkward hug. Kyo stood there for a moment, too shocked to move. Then he tentatively hugged Yuki back.
“ Alright.” Kyo said after a moment, pulling back and giving a manly cough. “That's enough. I don't need your girly germs all over me.”
Yuki smiled. “Right. Your stupidity probably spreads like a disease.” Kyo smiled back.
“Get outta here before some one finds you, you damn rat.”
“Alright…. you stupid cat.”