Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Where Your Shadow Falls- Part 3: Forever is a Long Time to Love ❯ Death of a Shadow ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 15: Death of a Shadow
 
*************
“We went the long way, didn't we?
We got hurt, didn't we?”
*************
-Dearest
Inuyasha Ending Theme #3
 
“I don't want to leave him.”
“I don't think you'll have to.”
“What do you mean?” Isuzu asked. Rin's mouth twitched into a watery smile.
“I left him for a reason, Isuzu.”
“You can't force him to forget about you! You can't force him to choose me! It's not fair. Haru loves you, Rin.”
“I thought we already went over this. He's better of without me.”
“But—”
“No buts,” Rin cut her off.
“You can't force him to choose me!” Rin's eyes flickered with pain.
“He already has, Isuzu. He's in love with you now.” The words echoed in the darkness. “And I have to let him go.” The iron bands holding her up dissolved and Rin collapsed onto her knees.
“Rin!”
“I'm okay.” She struggled to her feet, but feel into Isuzu's arms, who hugged her tightly.
“I know how much this hurts,” she whispered into Rin's ear.
“It does hurt,” Rin whimpered. “So much I might not survive it. But as long as Haru is happy, I can be.”
“You are so strong, Rin. You are so kind and beautiful.” Rin blinked rapidly, the tears catching in her long eyelashes.
“Thank you.” Rin coughed, and blood seeped onto her lips.
“Rin!”
“It's okay. It's okay for it to end with nothing left in my hands.” She coughed again and blood spurted away into the darkness. Rin slid down onto her knees, Isuzu following.
“No! No, you can't go like this!”
“I'm fading from your mind, Isuzu. It's the way it should be.”
“But, Haru—!” Rin put a finger to Isuzu's lips.
“He'll be okay. He's a strong person. Always has been.” More blood was coming every time she coughed. And her hands were shaking badly.
“Rin…Rin!” Isuzu cried helplessly.
“No, shh, it's okay.”
“But there's so much I don't know. It can't end like this!”
“But it is. Everything will be fine,” Rin assure, voice shaking.
“Not for you,” Isuzu argued.
“Yes. I will be all right…knowing Haru is with you. Be strong for me. Be strong for Haru.”
“I—I will.” Isuzu promised shakily, tears pouring down her cheeks.
“Do you promise? Do you promise to try and make him happy?” The concern shining in her tear clouded eyes made fresh tears spring to her own.
“Of course,” she whispered. “I will love Haru until the day I die.”
“Thank you. So much.” She coughed…there was so much blood. “Tell him goodbye for me…please.”
“Yes, yes of course.”
“And—” she coughed again, “tell him…Tell him I love him.”
“Yes,” Isuzu choked, tears streaming down her cheeks.
“Haru,” Rin titled her head upwards, “I'm so sorry for everything that happened. Please forgive me…and please be happy. I love you, Haru…”
“Rin—!”
“Goodbye…”
* * *
*************
“You said: “I know that this will hurt
But if I don't break your heart, then things will just get worse”
If the burden seems too much to bear
Remember: the end will justify the pain it took to get us there”
*************
-Let It All Out
By: Relient K
 
Beep…Beep…Beep…
Haru woke with a start. Nothing in particular had woken him, but he had suddenly lost his grip on sleep. The room was dark, and moonlight streamed through the window. Haru raised his head from her shoulder where he had laid it. He brushed his fingertips across her closed eyelids, willing them to open.
“Come back to me, lovely girl,” he whispered. “I can't breathe without you.”
“Mmm…” the noise was so soft he'd thought he'd imagined it at first.
Beep…Beep…Beep…
Probably just my imagination. I'm missing her so much,
“Haru…Haru…”
“Isuzu? Rin?” Haru exclaimed, not knowing who he was hoping would wake up.
“Oh, Haru…I'm so sorry…” She was…sleep talking? “So sorry…” it sounded like Rin. Rin's voice so layered with agony and hopelessness. “I'm so sorry for everything that happened. Please forgive me…and please be happy. I love you, Haru.”
“Rin? Rin!” He shouted. “No! Please don't slip away from me again! Please! I need you, honey, I need you…” Tear spilled down his face. Her eyes fluttered once and then closed again.
Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep…
“Rin! No…no, Rin, please…I still…I still love you. And it hurts. Please don't. I don't want to lose you again.
Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep…
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
“NO!!!” Haru yelled. “No, Rin!” He took a hold of her shoulders, and shook them roughly. “Rin, honey, please wake up, please.” He pressed his mouth to her, forcing her lips apart and breathing into her mouth. “Breathe for me, Rin, please.” He pressed hard again and again and again on her chest. Breathe, press, breathe, press.
It seemed like eternity before…
Beep…Beep…Beep…
Haru exhaled loudly.
“Oh, thank God!” He put his arms around her neck, hugging her tightly. “Thank God…” teas of relief spilled over.
“I wish we could stay like this forever…”
“Butforever is a long time to love…”
“I love you so much…” Haru whispered, his hands tangling her hair, his lips brushing over her eyelids.
“Rin you knew is gone…”
“Mmm…Haru?” He barely caught the soft words.
“Rin, honey?” he barely dared to whisper. Her eyes fluttered open, and then closed again. But then they opened halfway, a lazy confused looked.
“Haru…” her eyes were liquid black, tired, sad. But…who was looking back out of them?
“Oh my God, don't scare me like that!” He exclaimed, squeezing her in his arms.
“Haru, I—”
“Oh, Rin, I thought I lost you. Don't ever do that again!”
“But…Haru, I'm Isuzu.” He pulled back, eyes wide. “I—I'm sorry it's not Rin looking out at you. I'm so sorry. She was too broken. I tried to convince her—”
“Wait a minute,” he cut her off, “you talked to her.”
“Yes,” she said softly. “She was in my head the entire time.”
“What did she say?” Isuzu blinked back tears.
“She said she's sorry she hurt you. She thought you were better off without her. She said she still loved you, but wanted you to be happy.” Haru's eyebrows creased, his expression so hurt and lost.
“I was happy! I was happy, Rin!” He was talking to no one, looking around at the ceiling. “You were everything I needed! You were my world! When you said you didn't love me, my world shattered into a million pieces. I was happy with you…I loved you…” Isuzu's hand wiped the tears from his cheeks.
“She said she wants you to be happy. She wants you to try and move on.”
“What?” his eyes widened. “But I could still bring her back.” Isuzu's eyes saddened further.
“She knew you were in love with me now. She said that she thinks you're better of with me.”
“But—But—she's still in there somewhere.” Haru spluttered.
“She said to tell you she loves you, Haru. And—And to tell you goodbye.”
“No…No…Rin…” The words barely escaped Haru's mouth.
“I'm so sorry, Haru” Isuzu whispered, hugging him tightly, whispering into her ear. “Rin's not coming back.”
 
End of Chapter 15:
Death of a Shadow
 
A/n: *sniff sniff* T_T I'm sorry to do that to all you Rin fans (I'm a huge one myself), but as the writer, I felt it had to be done
Haru: *sigh* now I finally have her off my back!
Rin: son of a…*smack*
Haru: Ow!
Rin: You deserve it
Haru: *shrug* yah I guess…
Rin -_-*
Me: ^_^u
(See ya next chapter! ^_^)
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!
 
 
END OF PART 3: FOREVER IS A LONG TIME TO LOVE
 
PART FOUR WILL PROBABLY JUST BE AN EPILOGUE OF ONE OR TWO CHAPTERS, BUT THEY WILL BE CRUCIAL TO THE PLOT LINE! PLEASE TUNE IN FOR THAT!
BYE!