Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Where Your Shadow Falls- Part 3: Forever is a Long Time to Love ❯ Losing You ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 14: Losing You
 
 
*************
"But do I hate what she is
or do I want to be her
*************
-Cooling
By: Tori Amos
 
“Yah, I'm Rin.”
Darkness churned behind her eyes…a liquid pool of dark emotions and secrets never meant to be told.
“Am I dreaming?”
“You tell me,” she said, attempting to flip her thigh length hair behind her shoulders, “It's your mind now. I'm just stuck here.” Pain flickered behind her tough words.
“I'm so sorry!” Isuzu cried, flinging her arms around Rin's thin frame.
“Stop hugging me!” Rin exclaimed, but Isuzu held on. She looked up into that mirror image. It was so strange to look at yourself…to look at how you might have turned out.
“Rin…Haru still loves you, you know.”
“I know that.”
“Why did you hurt him so badly then?” The words hung in the hair between them. The echoed off the nonexistent walls.
“Because he's better off without me.” The words were soft, barely audible
“Rin, you don't understand—”
“Yes I do. I knowI hurt him. I hurt him and it hurt me. It almost hurt too much to do it. But I loved him more than anything in this world…and that gave me the strength to let him live without me.”
“He doesn't want to let you go.” Isuzu whispered. She gasped as she felt a tear drop from Rin's cheek to her arm, which was still wrapped around her neck.
“It's hard…to find someone you love, and who loves you back too. It's hard to leave that all behind. But it's easier now that you're here. At first I hated you, Isuzu. You were everything I wished I could have been…especially for Haru. But now I see you're everything he needs.”
“But he's still in love with you, Rin! He always will be! Forever.”
“Forever is a long time to love someone,” she whispered, “someday he will forget me, the way I forgot him, and became you. I will fade in his memory. Some part of him may love me, but he has you now.”
“It's all my fault,” Isuzu cried, feeling hot tears pouring down her cheeks, mirroring Rin's, “I'm so sorry…I'm so, so sorry.”
“No,” the calm disagreement made her look back up. “It's my fault I let Haru go in the first place. It's my fault I went to see Akito. It's my fault I didn't just run. But there's nothing I can do now.” She smiled a sad smile, tears pouring down her cheeks.
“Can I…is there a way…?” Isuzu fought for the words. She wanted to end the aching pain behind this girl's eyes.
“Not without you taking my place.”
No…she didn't want to be stuck in this dark world all alone without Haru…Haru.
“I don't want to leave him.
“I don't think you'll have to.”
* * *
*************
“In the corners of my childhood memories
There is a warm place,
So Sweet
Where the stars talk of a future
That will always sparkle,
So Shine
*************
-Every Heart
Lyrics By: Natsumi Watanabe
 
He could barely remember it.
Barely remember a time back when there was no pain. When there was no tension; no expectations; no fear.
He could barely remember it. But it was there.
New Years Eve was only a highlight in his life because he would sneak off to Rin's room after the dancing. Rin was seven, and he was five. Midnight was a long time to stay up for children their age. They were slowly walking their pieces through a game of Chutes and Ladders.
“I—” Rin yawned in the middle of her sentence, “I'm still winning, Haru.”
“Well you're two years older, so I should get extra points!” He squeaked, grabbing a hold of his piece and moving it ahead three spaces.
“That's against the rules!” Rin shouted.
“Is not!” Haru argued.
“Is to!”
“Fine, just for arguing with me, I get two more,” he retorted and scooted his player ahead two extra spaces.
“You're a cheater, Haru,” Rin said with a smile.
“Am not,” he bickered.
“Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.”
“Ew. Have you ever eaten pumpkin?” Haru asked.
“No,” Rin said.
“Neither have I. So you can't say I'm a pumpkin eater if I've never even tried it.” Rin yawned again instead of answering. Haru yawned too.
“Is it really that late?” Rin asked. Haru shrugged and yawned again.
“I got up early so I've been up for a while.”
“Me too.”
“But I don't want to go to sleep yet,” Haru said.
“Me neither,” Rin agreed, and got up, turned off the light, and then walked over to the bed, plopping herself down.
“I'm just going to lie down though.” Haru smiled.
“Sure.”
“I am,” Rin said indignantly as Haru crossed the room and joined her, swinging his feet over the edge. Rin sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder. “I'm glad you came over today. It's fun to play with you.”
“Yah, it's boring when my parents make me stay home all alone.” Haru watched her eyes drift shut slowly in the darkness. And before he knew it, she was out like a light, her head resting on her shoulder, snoring softly.
He just sat there for a while, not sure what to do.
“Rin?” He whispered, shaking her lightly. She didn't budge. He sighed, and looked up at the window. The moonlight streaming through it made her skin glow. “You know,” he said to the sleeping Rin, “you're pretty cute for a girl.” He felt a sudden urge to hug her. So Haru wrapped his arms around her, and rested his head on top of hers. “I wish we could stay like this forever, Rin.”
 
Before he knew it, the room was filled with darkness. Haru hadn't noticed the night falling. He sighed, and crossed the room. He kneeled down beside her cot, stroking her midnight black hair.
“I wish we could've stayed like that forever, Rin,” Haru whispered, laying his head on her shoulder as he closed his eyes. “But forever is a long time to love.”
 
 
 
End of Chapter 14:
Losing You
 
A/n: I believe I am in the final stretch…or at least the beginning for the final stretch.
Haru: OMG this is too depressing
Me: Shut up! It's a drama story, duh it's going to be depressing!
Rin: yay I got to talk!
Me: niiiiice
Rin: Well I haven't been able to talk since like chapter 4 or 5!
Me: except for in here
Rin: Well that doesn't count
Me: w/e
Rin -_-* why I auta'
Me: ^_^u
(See ya next chapter! ^_^)
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!