Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall
 
 
I stare into the mirror, and, not for the first time in my life, I am disgusted at what I see.
 
Maybe it's just my darkened perception; there's that saying that what you see is what you want to see.
 
The thing is, I don't want to see anything.
 
I hear others speak of me. “Future Fuhrer”, “Hero of Ishbal” the whispers say, but that is only what they see. What they choose to see: a successful, satisfied man, a General, just one step below Fuhrer.
 
They are so wrong it's almost humorous.
 
That is, if I can find anything funny anymore.
 
I am the most screwed person I know; I have a twisted mind, forever filled with burning, screaming images of the very war I am `hero' of.
 
There is a sudden urge to break the mirror, to smash it and feel it shatter around the bare skin of my hand, let the blood run down my arm, soak into the blessed uniform of the damned military I serve. I want to feel something.
 
But I resist. It would be so easy, to take a gun, take a knife, and end it all. I don't have the will to live with this creature I have become, this bleak, morbid, disgusting thing that can hardly be called human. But I can't kill it, either.
 
I look up into the mirror, into my hated reflection, and stare into my own deadened eyes, and start thinking. This seems to only be a half-life.
 
My life ended years ago.
 
I turn from the mirror, pull my cloak off its customary rung by the door, and step outside.
 
Time to pass another day in chains.